Trump National Doral Miami - Blue Monster Course

Staff Friendliness

Trump National Doral Miami offers five 18-hole courses, but the Blue Monster is the most well known. Originally designed by Dick Wilson, the golf course has been updated throughout the years by different architects to keep the challenges current. The course calls for strategy as well as distance. The fairways are infamously long and the greens are undulating. There are several water hazards that come into play as well as bunkers and deep rough. The Blue Monster's signature hole is the 18th with its trademark fountain; it was named by GOLF Magazine on of the top 100 holes in the world.
Trump National Doral Miami - Blue Monster Course
Scorecard for Blue Monster
Black M: 77.4/146 578 446 440 227 419 430 472 550 216 3778 608 428 600 245 475 183 370 430 473 3812 7590
Gold M: 75.0/140 559 381 404 196 402 416 442 528 207 3535 572 344 589 230 439 157 325 410 433 3499 7034
Blue M: 73.5/139 543 364 393 176 378 402 435 497 185 3373 560 326 573 210 418 133 313 386 406 3325 6698
White M: 71.7/139 W: 78.8/144 528 348 361 159 354 382 420 469 180 3201 509 310 557 197 398 126 280 370 386 3133 6334
Red M: 67.6/132 W: 72.9/138 433 325 297 135 314 348 390 414 143 2799 418 285 490 172 305 117 252 289 336 2664 5463

Year Built 1961

Pull-carts No

Caddies Yes

Dress code No Denim, Collared Shirt Required

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S. (2017 #18)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2017 #9)

Playing Multiple Courses 7
Georgia Advisor

AWECOME Course, Fantastic staff and service

This was my first time playing the Blue Monster. The customer service and attention to details at Trump National are great. The course plays long and is challenging with water and tons of bunkers. The rough was very lush, thick and long. If you were off the fairway, you truly paid a penalty due to the challenging of getting the ball out of the rough and onto the greens. The only draw back was the day was very hot and humid and the beverage cart service was spotty, We did not see a beverage cart until the 8th hole and we were all hot, thirsty and ready for drinks a long time before we saw the beverage cart. The valet staff, cart attendants and starter were all great. If you have the opportunity to play the Blue Monster, definately take advantage and play the course. It is great and VERY challenging. The practice facilities are top notch with all practice facilities being great and very helpful.

A Deal, But Not A Steal

Recent aeration of the greens and numerous bunkers provided a stout challenge at this bucket list track, whose $100 Hot Deal hinted that this legendary course was going to be in less than stellar condition. Hittable fairways and tee boxes were sparse in spots, while the rough was lush and deep. Most of the bunkers were firm. Undulating greens were bumpy, grainy and nearly impossible to read. Still...this was the Blue Monster and the eye-catching layout resembled a Donald Ross course on steroids with cavernous sand traps surrounding the greens, sneaky fairway bunkers and strategically-located ponds and lakes. Course management was paramount with carefully placed drives and shots needed (but not always executed) to avoid plethora of bunkers. Solid iron was also was key, particularly of the flop variety. Heroic shots were not required for a mid-handicapper like me. One note: Play this course with friends and make it a happening, especially if your making your course debut. I played my first round at the Blue Monster with an inebriated father and his ill-mannered son, both of whom treated the course like a driving range as they took multiple second shots and putts, while searching for golf balls as if they were Spanish bullion. Their boorish company marred an otherwise memorable, three-hour voyage around a scenic track that is often offset by nondescript houses bordering the course. Beverage cart service was spotty, while pro shop staffer was polite, but not welcoming. Valet staff, cart attendants and starter were splendid. While I did not have time to stop by Champions Bar & Grill, located next to the pro shop, the cozy eatery's food and service have been excellent in the past. The Blue Monster is worth playing at least once, but the equally enjoyable Red and Gold Courses on the grounds offer much better bang on the buck.
Staff Friendliness Good
Pace of Play Good
Off-course amenities Average
Course Conditions Average
Course Layout Good

blue monster

i have played before Torrey Pines, Sawgrass and this one is the best i ever played...the course conditions were perfect, the greens at 10, and the challenge that course offers is fantastic...
Value for the Money Excellent

Blue Monster

The television does not do this course justice. It was a great experience and will definitely play again if given the opportunity
Pace of Play Good
Off-course amenities Good
Value for the Money Excellent
Course Layout Excellent

Blue Monster was a Spectacle!

First about the staff. Best trained anywhere. Friendly professional and welcoming. Secondly greens were the best I have ever played and I have played almost every bucket list course in the USA, Scotland and Canada. If you like fast greens like I do you will love The Blue Monster. Just a whisper would get the ball rolling on line. Club house claimed running at a 13. I think closer to 11 but still unbelievable. Fairways were generous and hard to miss but wind and plenty of sand traps and water made the Monster live up to its name. Only downside I put on this beautiful course was price. I’ve played Pebble Beach and The Olde Course in St. Andrews as well as TPC Sawgrass and they are all worth the full fair at $500 or more. This round ran me $450. I think $350 should be the true value. Club house and grounds as well as the restaurants were exceptional.
Course Layout Good

Pace of Platy

Course` was packed with what I call forced foursomes. My buddy and I play together regularly and playing ready Golf move right along. The other pair in our foursome were non US and were more formal so our pace of play as a foursome was slow. I felt that the marshals harassed my buddy and I to pick up the pace when it should have been obvious that we couldn’t do anything to speed up the groups pace of play. For what it cost to play there I was most unhappy with being pared up with two guys who had never played together nor had every met. Besides we had a fore caddy for our foursome and if our pace was slow the marshal should have been talking to him not to us. Playing the Blue Monster was on my bucket list but over booking and being harassed by the marshals made this a round that I won’t remember for how great the course was, it’s majesty or it’s challenges. Most disappointing.
Staff Friendliness Good
Pace of Play Average
Value for the Money Average

Great layout

This was my second time playing the Blue Monster. It kicked my butt. 30-50 yd winds made club selection difficult. #10 is one of my favorite driving holes with the palm trees lined on the right. Price is steep. Has to be the largest pro shops in the country. New flags on the pin with American flags need to be sold. They were cool and brand new. Our forecaddie Eric was spot on with putts. Enjoyed every second.
Course Layout Excellent

Good times on a major championship test

My third time was the charm. I didn't have fun the first two times playing the Blue Monster (in 1999 and 2011) because I simply got my butt kicked. It's that hard. My ground game is no match for its never-ending onslaught of bunkers and water. But this time I knew what to expect, where to bail out and how to manage my game. The one time I tried to be heroic, I paid for it with a lost ball off the 18th tee. I'm totally impressed with how Gil Hanse re-energized an aging course. Making par where Rory McIlroy threw his iron into the lake on no. 8 and trying to drive the spectacular new 16th hole were memorable moments. The resort has really improved thanks to the millions spent by Trump. Don't be surprised if we see the course on TV hosting another top tournament in the future. The legacy of the Blue Monster should live on.
Course Conditions Good
Value for the Money Average

Awesome Course!

Had a great time staying and playing there! Josh in the pro shop was an absolute pleasure to talk too! I would recommend this course and facility to anyone! Thanks for a great week!!!

Valid dates: Sep 03, 2018 - Oct 21, 2018
Book this Stay and Play package to enjoy your stay at the Stowe Mountain Lodge which includes 1 round at the exclusive Mountain Course at Spruce Peak (Formerly known as the Stowe Mountain Course) and unlimited rounds at the Stowe Country Club!