Scorecard for Runaway Bay
Blue M: 74.0/130 365 423 230 380 463 421 210 522 407 3421 465 537 375 168 358 395 425 513 375 3611 7032
White M: 71.9/128 W: 76.7/130 347 406 217 370 449 377 196 495 393 3250 428 523 358 154 336 379 417 477 335 3407 6657
Gold M: 66.7/118 W: 71.1/117 295 297 169 310 382 342 178 410 290 2673 349 427 316 128 303 339 328 463 274 2927 5600
Red M: 65.6/117 W: 70.1/115 285 283 160 300 375 330 170 402 277 2582 336 420 309 123 299 334 323 388 272 2804 5386

Year Built 1969
Greens SR 1020 Bentgrass
Architect Leon Howard

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed
Dress code Collared shirts required

Junior Golfers 7

New ownership and looking great

Played here multiple times over the last few months and this course is making a HUGE come back. It's under new ownership and the new owner is doing a great job. New greens are in and the fairways are looking great. A huge list of other upgrades like a brand new gym. The staff is super friendly and the food at the cafe was phenomenal. Can't beat some cold beer and good food after a long day of golfing. Definitely give this course another shot if you're in the area. And from what I heard they added stay and play combos with a house and round of golf included if you needed a place to crash near the lake and wanted to golf.

Not in good shape at all.

I would not waste your time and money. I played on a pass for two for $26. Not worth it. They are not keeping the course up. They had the pump for water system go out. With all of the heat they were in a bind. Great course to play and have fun but they are not taking care of it. Pass on playing.

The course is in TERRIBLE shape

The folks out here are very nice, and you can tell that at one time this was probably a beautiful course, but the condition I played in on Masters Sunday was terrible. Fairways are rough with a lot of dirt patches, rocks, and weeds. Many of the Greens have bare patches, holes, and weeds growing in them.. I don't want to pile on and bash a place thats fallen on hard times, but driving an hour to play this course for $20 felt like a wasted day..

THE CARTS ARE GREAT!

Good Course Could Be Great

This course has all the infrastructure necessary to be great. The original design is still fairly well intact, and a few vestiges of the original vision, such as bent grass greens and excellent bunker placement are still there. That's part of the good news. The staff is supremely friendly, and the restaurant is well worth dining at.
The greens though recently punched, and heavily sanded rolled very true. There are plateaus and dips and turns that make these greens the quality one would expect on a PGA Qualifier Course. Sadly, bent grass doesn't hold up too well to heavy traffic, but the maintenance on these appears to have done the trick, and I imagine by May and June they will be superb.
The bad news is that the fairways are lacking in a full lush coat of grass. Believe me there is plenty of covering to the majority of turf, and hard pan is not the name of the game out here, but the grass is growing thin and sparse in many places, and the rough is where you will find more barren spots. A few holes had weeds that grew quite tall. I'm not saying the fairways on these three were all weeds, but I am saying that there is more than a few places where your ball will snuggle up next to a 12" plus dandelion plant or two. It's nothing a good mowing and a lot of annual Rye Seed couldn't take care of, but the upkeep has definitely been lacking here and in the bunkers as well.
A good 50% of the bunkers were as much dirt and or grass as they were sand. The good news is that a few of the bunkers were unplayable because the sand was piled into them in massive quantities, but it hadn't been raked. SO it was roughly 50% playable bunkers, 25% covered in grass need to be dug out and re-sanded, and 25% sand dunes needing a good rake down.
My one and only real complaint would be the replay fee. I realize this varies at most courses, but in my experience, replays are usually CART FEE ONLY, as the course considers your green fee a one time charge. I'm not saying $21 is outrageous, because its not. But iut was the difference between my Brother and I playing only 36 holes rather than 54. Had it been $15-19---we'd have been all over it. It's amazing what a different impression just a couple of bucks can make.
The restaurant served the best burger I've ever eaten at a golf course. It was so good that I almost wished we'd have ponied up for 54 holes and stayed to eat the Irish Corned Beef Dinner. The service at the restaurant was also stellar, polite and respectful. With a little work, this place could really be something.
I plan on returning later this year, and hope to increase this course's overall score. The potential is definitely there.

kevinkadado
Commented On 08/30/2018

Just because you wrote a lengthy detailed review... The club is under new ownership and they've already started working on it. New greens are in and the fairways are looking awesome, I spend some time out at lake bridgeport and have been going there quite a few times and it keeps getting better honestly. The new owner is really putting some work in.

This is a well laid out course

This is a great course and i enjoy playing each time I have an opportunity. The staff are great and the value presented by Golf now is very good.

Good Value

Good value for a hot deal tee time. Would not have felt as good paying the rack rate. I drove an hour to play this course, just because I had never played here before. Course was in OK shape, but that is to be expected in February in North Texas. If it was closer to home, I wouldn't hesitate to go back, but because of the distance, this was probably a one and done for me. Also, tee time was at 7:59. Course doesn't open until 8am (did not know that ahead of time), so no staff present when I arrived. I was the first one to go out and played solo, so I was done in less than 2 hours, but was constantly running into the greenskeepers changing hole locations and sprinklers running.

Greens are bad

This is a great course most of the time. The greens have a lot of dead spots that cover most of the greens. With all of the warm weather they may be in transition but some greens were really bad. Before playing call and check the greens. It may be worth skipping until the greens get better.

Very friendly

Very friendly staff. Excellent food in the grill.
Course in typical winter conditions compares to some others. Greens could use some improvement and some tee boxes need mowing. I will play again
it was a good value and a fun course to play.

Decent

All DFW courses were booked for Christmas Eve day. This was an hour drive from home. The first green was not good and there was other that was not good as well. All the other greens were decent. For the price a decent course but I wouldnot drive an hour to play there again.

Apears to be a dying golf course

Several years ago I lived in Decatur area and Runaway Bay was my "home" course. At that time the course was above average in all aspects. Had not played there in 6 years. Greens on front nine were very poor - back nine were average - course has not been watered since rains quit in June. Bunkers were washed out and there was not any sand in them - only weeds - would not recommend this course to anyone

Runaway Bay

This course needs water and work on the greens. The layout is good and has some blind spots that create an extra challenge. The carts has a good GPS in them.

Poor green conditions

I love this course and have been playing it for 15 years however I was extremely disappointed at the conditions of the greens. While they were soft and responsive they were covered in pitch marks and dead spots not to mention the abundance of crab grass spreading through the greens making it near impossible to get a true role outside of 5 feet from the pin.

could be better

Some greens were ate up with crab grass bunkers had weeds in them. Not to excited about going back

Worst conditioned golf course I've ever played

I have played the golf course at Runaway Bay on several occasions however I must say that this was the worst conditioned golf course that I have ever played. The first green was in a horrible condition and the course got worse from there. The grass around the third green was so long that I lost 3 balls within 10 yards of the green. The fairways were so hard and so rocky that they wouldn't even hold a shot most of the time. And I hit a ball in the middle of the fairway on the 8th hole and had to look seriously for my ball in the fairway, absolutely ridiculous. The back 9 was in much better shape however it was nothing to brag about or nothing to even compliment the course concerning. On the 18th tee box the grass was at least 4 to 5 inches long. It was so long in fact, that I had to find a spot 3 full clubs from the tee markers just to be able to T up my ball. I recommend that they close down the entire front nine for at least 6 months of dedicated and total maintenance and repair of the golf course. The course has a nice layout but I would not recommend this golf course to anyone. And if you have to drive more than 5 minutes to get there I would not waste my time nor my money and I drove over an hour to play this course.

Course condition

The grass on the tee boxed was too tall which made it difficult to tee up the ball. The grass on the fairways also was too tall.
The greens were over water and was very soggy.

Ever hear of a mower?

I played this course about 18 months ago when I was just learning the game again. At that time my complaint was they had not mowed the fairways. So I give it another hot deal shot and I get there and they say they have a tournament on the back nine in a bit so I can do the front 9 twice. Its not too busy so I take off, cant ever find my ball because the fairways are not mowed. You could be standing on it and not know it. A local pair of guys start in front of me on the 3d hole and I am waiting for then when not looking for my lost ball.

One nice thing, that far out and near the bay, it was cooler than in DFW area. The greens were ok on most holes and soft to hold a shot. Too bad the locals decide they dont need to wait or fix ball marks. They were very pockmarked.

Corse maintenance going down hill

I okay here because it's close but the grass was tall enough to loose balls in fairway and the greens were horible may as well put on tiny peebles way it is.

Nice Track = worth playing

Greens in great shape, allows you to fire at the pins! Fairways in average shape. Entire Club house staff and pro shop with friendly and accommodating. Good lay out, but could use some additional attention to course details. ie, sandtrap conditions, defined fairway cuts. overall a pleasant experience with nice views of the lake.

very scenic course

first time to play the course. beautiful layout, lots of dog legs right and left, challenging elevation changes, new carts with GPS distances to the F/M/B of greens, each hole has a tip about how to play the hole. enjoyed the course, will play again. driving range like hitting into a construction zone, range balls of various condition, types. lost a few balls to the over grown grass, both sides of ALL fairways BUNKERS NEED TLC. saw the cart girls at least 5 times, friendly. pro shop staff very friendly, good food in the restaurant. regulars very welcoming. temperature 100
+. WE LIKED IT OVERALL, WILL PLAY AGAIN

Really soft greens

Best for winter play. Greens very soft and responsive.

Bridgeport, Texas