TPC Louisiana

• 11001 Lapalco Blvd, Avondale, LA 70094
  • (866) 665-2872, (504) 436-8721
  • tpc.com/louisiana

Year built: 2004
Architect(s): Pete Dye (2004)
Type: Public

Tournament 72 6610 yards 72.4 133
Players 72 6172 yards 70.1 130
Players (W) 72 6172 yards 76.6 140
Club 72 5121 yards 70.6 124

TPC Louisiana is situated just 15 minutes from downtown New Orleans but you'll feel like you're at a private nature reserve. When the golf course opened in 2004, Golf Digest ranked it as the fourth best upscale public, course and GolfWeek consistently ranks it in their list of "Best Courses You Can Play." As part of the Audubon Golf Trail, it stretches across more than 250 acres of wetlands along the Mississippi River delta. The TPC Louisiana layout will challenge you with more than 100 strategically placed bunkers and water hazards on several holes. Five different sets of tees allow players of all skill levels to enjoy the course. The PGA Tour tees are the longest, measuring a whopping 7,400 yards. The golf course finishes with its signature hole. For your final test you'll face a tough par 5 with water along the entire right side.

Great for a weekend splurge advanced golfers entertaining clients   Challenges include water hazards bunkers

"Drains great"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2018

I thought the price was s little high but overall the course is in great condition. I always seem to play well there I played a course in Houston and their carts are awesome. Behind the the drivers side they had a ball and club cleaner. Also in the cart are 2 USB ports to charge your electronics. Cell phone, tablet etc. TPC Avondale could use upgraded carts.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2018

"tpc"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2018

Played right after the zurich open, course was in fantastic shape.

"Underwhelming"

CaptWillard's avatar
Mississippi Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2018

On the surface, there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about TPC Louisiana: it carries the TPC label, it’s a PGA Tour stop, it’s a Pete Dye Design, and until a few years ago it was considered a Top 100 track.

But the course simply doesn’t live up that billing. Aside from three or four interesting holes, the course is forgettable. You see the same bunkers running up the sides of fairways over and over again. You see tiny, oddly shaped greenside bunkers that serve no obvious purpose. The condition of the course was fine, but nowhere close to conditions befitting a $200+ green fee. Nearly every bunker on the course was running low on sand, which made it nearly impossible to slide a wedge underneath a ball.

If the course were billed as a muni (and priced like one), then people would rave about it. But that’s not the standard that it’s priced at. And that standard goes unmet. I don’t expect to return.

"Best Public Play in the Area"

patwalling's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2018

I led a buddies trip to New Orleans in late March and we played 4 of the best reviewed area courses. This was our favorite.

Amenities and conditioning were both excellent, and what you'd expect from a TPC course.

The layout is good, but it is not bucket-list, stick in your mind great.

If you pay full price ($200+) you may be disappointed, because while this is a very nice golf course, it is not on the level of a Top 100 course or other destination course. We got discounted rates at the last minute for two different rounds (canceling our previously booked, much more expensive tee times in the process), and at less than $100, it is an excellent value. I based my value ranking on the rack rates.

"Great Course and challenging layout"

RettJ's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/12/2018
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

Played the course two consecutive days. Both days were chilly in the morning. The second day the wind picked up and the course became much more challenging in the windy conditions. However, the course is great and getting in very nice condition. The course is being set up with the Zurich Classic golf tournament so it was cart path only which was a challenge, because NONE of the sprinkler heads have yardage indicators and the only yardage markers are on the cart paths as well as a 150 yard post. The course is fun, fair and challenging.

"Another Great TPC"

VegasGolfer91's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2018

I’ve played a few TPC courses before and this one did not disappoint. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable from start to finish. Unfortunately the course was cart path only, which I wasn’t told until I arrived, but didn’t take much away from the experience. Would definitely play again if I return to the NOLA area.

"Worth the trip"

Sfno12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2018

The course was in good shape despite the recent freezing temps. The staff was incredible and made the 6 1/2 hour drive well worth the trip.

"Good for Winter Golf"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2018

The course was really fun and challenging to play. I would love to play it once it greens up again after Winter, since the dormant grass makes crisp contact a challenge. A really good value for a high-end course and it was one of the highlights of my trip.

"Terrible Booking Policy"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/12/2018
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

Let me start by saying, I booked this tee time 5 days out and the forecasted weather was 52 and sunny. Being in from out of town we wanted to play the P Dye TPC course and did not mind paying a premium. The 48 hour cancellation policy is where my issue lies. We woke up to low 40's and 20-25 mph winds. I called the course and was told if I did not show for the tee time I would be charged for the entire group ($141 per player). Once we got to the course we were 2 of maybe 4 groups on the course that day. The bermuda was dormant and there was maintenance being done on the sprinkler system for the upcoming PGA event. Greens rolled true and I could see the course being mint on a great day. More than anything I was put off by being forced to play in absolute awful weather. Paying $141 you should not have to wait for an excavator to make his way across the fairway with no regard to your group (literally took 12 minutes for him to clear) as well as sprinklers being turned on and tested while you are playing in 40 degree weather. This is the first review I have ever written, but I truly feel golf is a weather dependent sport and there should be some leniency on the cancellation policy if weather is the issue. At the very least give us a $75 prorated price for the condition of the course that day. I recommend being very cautious when booking ahead of time if weather is up in the air.

Andrew3053818's avatar

"Great track"

Mark7770457's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

I was really happy with the course. They had massive rain storms during the week we played, but the course was still in great condition (though it was cart path only). There are certainly some challenging holes, but still very playable to matures. The only disappointment we had was we didn't see a gator! We were hoping to see one (from a distance only) but were unlucky.

"Need 2 Reviews For Accuracy"

TwillDog1's avatar
New Orleans Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

My review would be best if given in 2 separate parts - My first review would be what the course was like compared to many courses; the other would be to compare it to other courses at the price point and also compared to other PGA Tour courses.

This is a very good course. The layout isn't so much a challenge but getting the ball from point a to point b and into the hole readily is quite the challenge. You have to know where to miss and where you just have to hit greens. And then while the greens are true (though not as quick yesterday as normal - I suppose all the rain we've been getting has them slower than normal because cutting is going to be problematic), they have a lot of very subtle movement to them that will trick you. If you play this course compared to most public or even many private courses, you'll find it to be enjoyable.

My big issue is that this course is a PGA Tour course. While I have not played any other PGA Tour Courses (I've played a Champions Tour course and and LPGA Tour Course, both of which were in better condition than this TPC), I'd venture a guess that many of them have superior conditioning. Torpedo grass infiltration is problematic. The greens are among the best around and the overall course is fine, but it's the details that seem lacking. I volunteer annually for the Zurich Classic golf tournament so I'm always here for those days. The course always looks pretty good, but again, some small things could be rectified. I know many of the other facilities on Tour are private courses. It's much easier to keep up private courses because their funding is different and the number of rounds played can be limited. But this course is cost prohibitive and I'd doubt gets more than a couple hundred rounds per week most weeks. Just seems like with little play it could be better maintained annually.

That said, back to the good - it's a tour course. You can watch a game at Fenway, but you're not likely to play on it. You can watch a game in the Superdome, but you're not likely to play there either. This course hosts some of the best golfers in the world every year, and you can play it all year long. That's something very cool and makes the experience worthwhile!

And if anyone reads my review and wonders about the cost of the round, since I volunteer annually for the Zurich Classic, I get a free round of golf there, so I played on my free round pass. Normal prices are about $125 for out of town guests and start around $75 for locals. Afternoon rates are better for both.

"Not worth it"

Greg1164807's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

First time in New Orleans and really wanted to experience some great golf. So we chose TPC Louisiana since they hold the Zurich Classic here and wanted to be challenged. VERY disappointing. First off, we come to the course and there is no one there to meet us. We wait a short bit, but no welcoming at all. Range was great. Weather was hot and I totally understand slow time of year and skeleton staff. First hole was nice however we get to green and it looks like cups haven't been changed in days. Rounded edges and just plain unacceptable for the price of $116 for the round. Traps were less than acceptable as well, I get they have had rain but again for the money we should have better conditions. Greens were good and rolled true. A little slow for my liking. I probably won't be back.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2017