Type Public/Municipal

Formerly known as Progress Downs Golf Course.

RedTail Golf Center

Year Built 1968
Fairways Winer Rye Grass
Architect John Zoller (1999)

Carts Yes - $16 - $32

Credit Cards Accepted Amex MasterCard Visa Discover card(s) Welcomed
Single Allowed No

Plays Long 6

Disappointed with management

I was charged the normal 9 hole weekend rate by RedTail after booking through gold now for less. They blamed Golfnow stating they have the rates wrong. I let the guy know that the price discrepancy was not my fault and they should honor the rate. They did not. Then I was told to play back nine which I was happy to do. As I am walking up to the tee box, the Starter rolled over and said “You need to let us know at the first tee box before you head out” I politely let him know that there was no one there when I walked by. He didn’t bother to listen and drive off. I have had a similar experience in the past as I have also heard others had. Too bad because the course is pretty nice. Management needs to learn how to display some better customer service. Alex

Great Course for the Price!

Red Tail is a great course to walk with a buddy after work. Got in 18 before dark with a 4pm tee time. Course was in pretty good shape considering the weather that Oregon has been experiencing. Will probably be a new regular course for myself and friends.

Needs maintenance

Course has deteriorated since the remodel 10+ years ago, nice layout but needs some maintenance

Good deal for a muni

This is the closest course to my home so I play here about once a month. The greens are True and roll great, but the fairways, bunkers, and tee boxes need some TLC. I play early in the mornings so pace of play is not an issue (under 4 hour rounds), but if you go out after 9am on a weekend bring supplies for a 5+ hour round. Yes there are better maintained course around the Portland metro area, but for the cost Redtail is a good deal and challenging track.

Thanks

I really appreciate the Red Tail Golf Course. In the meantime you can enjoy golf at a good price and a good course ......

Tough Muni thats getting better

When I first started playing Redtail 8 years ago the pace of play was the worst in the Portland Metro area and the fairways and greens were in bad shape. I came back recently after a few years away and the greens are much improved (if you miss a put it is YOUR fault), but the fairways and tee boxes still need some more attention. They seem to be headed in the right direction. The fitting center is great and the staff have always been generous with their time and very helpful. Lastly the pace of play has gotten better, a morning round takes between 3.75 to 4.25 hours (walking).

Worse course ever played

I’ve played golf on and off for 10 years, this course was a joke. Never have I ever played in such wet, sloppy conditions. I fell three times. They don’t even have stairs/steps for the majority of the tee boxes, therefore you’re climbing mud hills. Insanely over priced, poorly managed, and an ugly course overall. Nothing going for it aesthetically, generic hole after hole.

Tough

I think I would have had a better time playing from the seniors. Played a lot of golf in the 80’s, when I was younger. I’m not a long hitter anymore.
Will not be playing for 4 months, I get a brand new shoulder tomorrow.

Way overpriced

Course was in terrible condition. They also charged $16 PER RIDER for a cart which is insane. I will definitely not be back.

Not a course for short hitters!

Redtail has a beautiful tree-lined setting for golf, but fails to live up to my expectations for a number of reasons. The positives: the greens are soft and very well kept... putts missed are going to be YOUR fault. That's about it for the positives. The negatives: even though the white tee yardage is under 6200 yards, the course plays REALLY long. The middle of the fairways are saturated with water so you get no roll. The sides of the fairways and the rough are brown and hard. Most of the greens are elevated and the fringe has been so over-watered that you cannot run the ball onto the green. Because there are no combo tees (why not is the big question), most average golfers play the white tees at around 6200 yards. Most of the seniors that I play with could NEVER reach most of the par 4 greens in regulation from the white tees, as the softness around the greens and in the fairways combined with the length makes it impossible. The 589 yard par 5 seventh hole (from the white tees) takes 3 great hits to reach, but if you are just short it will be swallowed up by a quagmire just in front of the green. And it's AUGUST! You will definitely need to consider the red tees if you are a short hitter. Crabgrass abounds on most tee boxes and around the greens. Traps have not been clipped so pray your shot goes IN the trap and not around it.

All in all, I do not recommend this course for most average golfers. It is definitely a high ball hitter's course.

Course did not honor golf now special after it was purchased
Have never had a golf course treat me so rudely

Would not honor golf now price con#317455791

Bought a regular 9 hole tee time not a hot deal. Was told we cant accept that and made me pay full price. The boy at register said golf now is wrong. I have been using you for years, not sure what to do. I use golf now to golf. If the price is going to be different . How can i use you?

Fast Play

Must’ve been the players on the course keeping good pace but we managed to play 18 walking in just about 4 hours on a busy Saturday afternoon. Appreciated the marshalls checking in and kindly recommending a pace of play. Even stopped for a snack at the turn around. Good challenge from the blues. Greens in good shape.

No priority to play second nine. They shove people in to get as many players on the course as possible.

They were sanding the front nine so they sent us out on the back nine at our scheduled tee time. We followed two men who played in about two hours. We made the turn to the front side and there were 4 foursomes waiting to tee off. The starter said we had no priority and suggested we play the back nine a second time! He explained that since they had finished sanding the front they were trying to get as many people on the course as possible. We went to the back nine and had to wait for a twosome of juniors to tee off. Three juniors were ahead of them about 150 yards from the green when we got there. It took us 30 minutes to finish the 10th hole. We were approached by a ranger and were told that the juniors would be off the course at 3:15. One of the two juniors immediately ahead of us (they were playing the ladies tee) swung 5 times before he actually hit the ball. It did not get any better. The two groups left the course finally and we (a foursome) finished in five hours after a 1 hour and 45 minute first nine. I have not played redtail in a while since it is not uncommon to play the front nine and walk to the tenth tee and see one to two groups that are "only" playing 9 holes. I won`t be playing there soon.

Valid dates: Feb 01, 2020 - Feb 29, 2020
Three days of UNLIMITED golf and Three nights of lodging with FREE golf shoes.