A view from Saddlebrook Golf & Tennis Resort

The Palmer Course is one of two championship courses designed by Arnold Palmer at the Saddlebrook Resort just north of Tampa. Although it is seemingly tame at 6,273 yards, it plays much tougher. The golf course features more elevation changes than the resort's other course, the Saddlebrook. The undulating, tree-lined fairways were designed to mimic a hilly New England course but the moss-covered cypresses, palm trees, and marshy swamplands are true to the Florida landscape. The layout features tight fairways framed with contoured mounding and the occasional water hazard but the most formidable challenge comes from the bunkers strategically placed along the undulating greens. The approaches to the tiered greens, which are often sloped from back to front, demand accuracy. Golfers should be prepared to use every club in their bag and employ a variety of different shots.

Saddlebrook Resort - Palmer Course

Year Built 1982
Greens Tif-Eagle Grass
Architect Arnold Palmer (1982) Ed Seay (1982) Robert Walker (1982)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Saddlebrook Golf Academy"

Snacks, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities, Spa

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

Available Sports

Fitness

Group Getaways 10

Fun and Challenging Course

Haven’t played here in over 25 years. That turned out to be a mistake. The course is in excellent condition and is a good layout. Nice course for driving with large landing areas. Greens were holding very well but are on the small size. I was left with some challenging chips. Everyone in the foursome wants to go back. This is rarely an opinion held by this group.

The Reviews tell the story

The course is in pretty good shape. The greens look great and are rolling true, not to fast or slow. The tee boxes and fairways have some good and some rough spots. The bunkers are very soft like waking on the beach.
Staff was Very friendly. Still no water to drink due to Covid so bring plenty. Cart girl was out and we saw her twice in the first 13 holes.

EXCELLENT DAY & EXCELLENT COURSE

Today, I played an incredible course for the first time with three other friends.
We had a beautiful sunny day.
The course is Immaculate from the fairways to the greens.
I would give this course an A+ rating.
We all said we would return to play this course very soon.
The atmosphere was amazing all day long.
I would recommend this course to all who desire to play on an excellent course.
What made the day complete is that I ended up shooting a real good score.

Great golf resort. Course in wonderful shape. Fun track. Very challenging from back tees. Must have all parts of your game going well. Small greens for a resort course which makes it that much more challenging. Want to replay for sure.

Glad I Played

I only live 45 minutes from this course but had never played it or seen the entire property. I was very impressed by the overall experience. It definitely has that resort course feel. Not a long course so hitting driver isn't always best option. The greens are very sloped so all the pin placements were about 1-3 yards from the fringe so that was not my favorite but they have no other choice cause it would be an illegal pin placement.

Worth the drive

Despite 90 min drive, decided to play for the first time because of resort reputation, special price, and desire to get out of my area during this trying time.
Staff super helpful. Fairways in good condition. Greens also well maintained, but very fast.
One quirk- cannot drive to clubhouse. Must be picked up in parking lot by cart that comes by every few minutes. Otherwise a fairly long walk.

Great conditions

Course is in great condition. Our three some finished in less than 4 hours.

Challenging layout, Great condition

Enjoyable round. Tee times are currently spread out due to coronavirus, so pace of play was quick. Greens are in great shape, but difficult - lots of undulations. A few tee boxes are rough and bare, otherwise the course is in excellent condition.

Great Place

I play here often so it goes without saying the course is in great shape and is a challenge from any tee box. The fairways and greens are in great condition.

This review is more about the (limited) staff. Kyle in the pro shop is top notch and is always friendly. Under the circumstances we are currently living they have one guy doing the work of several running between the cart barn and the driving range. They are all doing a fantastic job keeping everything clean and taking all the necessary precautions. So please keep that in mind and give the guy a nice tip. In case your wondering...no I don’t work here nor am I a member.

I’m looking forward to when all the employees come back because they’re all a bunch of great people.

Thank you guys!!!
Don Sabarese

Great layout

Course looked great! Greens were inconsistent from hole to hole. Some ran quick and others were super slow

Fun course, good condition

Greens were in great shape, pin positions were brutal. Only complaint was a few of the tee boxes in rough shape. Other than that, very much enjoyed the course and would definitely recommend.

Great Morning

Another great experience at Saddlebrook. I messed up when making my tee time and Neil in the Pro Shop was more than willing to help me out and help me avoid looking like a moron to my buddy...thanks Neil!!! As always the Palmer course was in great condition; the greens and fairways are fantastic. We had a few foursomes in front of the two of us and still completed 18 holes in under four hours.

My only complaint is with #5 and that’s not due to anything other than me and that hole don’t get along. I should probably just start skipping it and save myself the aggravation.

We usually like sitting down having a beer poolside after the round, unfortunately due to the current situation all the outside amenities are closed.

Again, thanks to the staff for another enjoyable morning.

Gorgeous. Great amenities

Fantastic shape. Greens were rather green and pretty true. Notice said 5 greens were under repair but I could not find one not in immaculate shape Fairways were green and not patchy at all, sand was beautiful white(Yes did find a trap or two). Fantastic layout for all skill levels I'd say. Full service place, valet parking amenities like none I've seen super friendly staff. Makes me want to move into this complex. Wow!!! will definitely play at least once next year when I come back. Wish I could give more than five stars

Great condition on the Palmer course

Avoid the Saddlebrook course until the new greens are in after the summer. The bottle course is in great condition all the greens were in great shape. Played here many times and this is as good as I’ve seen it.

Very busy day but pace was four hours and 15 minutes. Every Green was in good shape, not too fast but overall great condition.

Palmer Course

As usual the Palmer course is in great condition; beautiful fairways and fast-true greens. The staff is always very friendly and helpful. I didn’t have tee time but Neil was great and found a way to get me out even on a very busy day. Considering how busy it was the pace of play was very good. Not sure how the cart girl does it but it seems like I ran into her every other hike. Of course I’ll be back. Thanks for another great day of golf

Palmer course

Very courteous staff. Course in great condition. Greens in good shape. Great experience for first visit.

Great course. Found the greens slow. Cannot believe It.....this is the only course I have been to that you have to pay for parking. Not expensive at $5 for Valet parking, but no other place to park other than valet. Really feel that this takes away from the golf course. Trivial but may not come here again when so many other great courses are available.

Request A Vacation Quote From Saddlebrook Resort
Please provide your information below and a staff member at Saddlebrook Resort will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.
Wesley Chapel, Florida