Half Moon Bay Golf Links - Ocean Course

Caddies: Yes

Practice bunker: Yes
Golf school / academy: Yes - "Half Moon Bay Golf Links Academy"

Dress code: Collared shirts; No denim
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

"Poor mans Pebble"

Notoriousbigb's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/04/2017

Worth every penny. I was told that the views and coastal golf were similar to that of Pebble. Every hole I had to stop and take it in.

Course was in fantastic shape. From tee to green it was immaculate. I am used to Texas fairways and was loving the softness of the turf. I was able to take pro 8 inch divots while shaping my ball flight in the wind. The greens were quick as expected, but rolled perfect. You really have to hit it close or risk a 3 putt. The course is not long so I played from the tips. I tend to hit my drive 280 on average. The longest par 3 was ~205 from the tips and most par 5s I was within 50 yds for my third shot. No range at the course. They do have a small chipping and putting area. Go play it!

"Fabulous NoCal destination course so close to San Francisco"

BrandonTuckerGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2016
First time playing Walked Average weather

I didn't realize just how close Half Moon Bay was to San Francisco until I made the drive from SFO down to the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay. It can be done in 40 minutes flat and it's certainly a scenic drive, to boot.

So maybe the Monterey Peninsula is a little too far away for a quick city escape, but Half Moon Bay is certainly worth the detour from all the city splendor that is SF. There are two very different courses at 36-hole Half Moon Bay and I think I curry favor by the slightest of margins to the Ocean Course (possibly because I played it twice - familiarity seems to breed favorability in golf travel, I've found).

The course certainly looks like a links, especially with the morning fog and brisk breeze. The turf is a little too spongy to call it a "true links," but the fairways and in perfect shape and the greens are wonderful to putt. There are a lot of neat holes here, but the par-4 16th is the real deal. It's a wonderful elevated tee shot overlooking the beach. 17 and 18 play alongside the cliffs as well.

I view this course as a kind of 4.51 overall rating, and considering they allow walking and it's a good walk, pushed it up to 5. The folks here are great too, and while your most avid architecture buff might wish for firmer turf, I don't think anyone walks off the 18th at Half Moon Bay unhappy. It certainly warrants consideration in any Top 10 public NoCal experiences. And I was actually pretty surprised to see that tee times are dynamic and usually in the $100-175 range, which probably doesn't get you a meal for four in Fisherman's Wharf these days.

Speaking of, the restaurant here, Mullins (named after their former head pro of 30 years) is fabulous. They even have lawn games and tons of spots to watch games. Doesn't get much better. We even ran into Robert Trent Jones Jr. and his family one night.

"Memorable"

sooner90's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

A disclaimer - we golfed on a discount so the cost factor made this course (Ocean) exceptional.

We also had a picturesque day. In a way, I wish it was cold, windy and miserable so I can experience Scottish troon golf. Well, maybe not.

The course was in great shape and the layout is excellent. My only mistake was playing the white tees (6052 yds) instead of the blue tees. The fairways are generous so just freely swinging the club made it more fun. There are few holes where you can actually hit a ball through the fairway so accuracy is your friend. I can see how this course would bite if the wind picked up. Overall a fantastic experience.

"Awe factor yes, until it slowly dissipates to again rise at 15"

Jeffersonalfaro's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/21/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Always intrigued me to play a course aligning the Ocean. The first couple of holes and the last couple will have you quenching that thirst. The others in between, eh! If you would have dropped me off blindfolded on number 4, i could have mistaken it for being a local course in Virginia and not the one showcased on must plays in San Fran area. Maybe because it was a weekday, but i did not feel any wow factor from bag drop off to check in, to hitting on the range, but wait, there is no range, and this i discovered after i carried my own bags to the cart, and then after i felt hurried to pay my green fee and get moving, ummm okay. Course is okay, played it after some rain, so very very wet. My pants were gray but at the end, mixed in with lots of black. Pedestrians walking all over the place, and cart path only which made for a long round as this place is hilly which is not shown on pictures. Again, being an out of towner it was a must do, but possibly again, i dont know.

"A sampling of links golf on the Old course at Half Moon Bay"

JasonDeeganGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2015
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

The Old course or the Ocean? I still haven't decided what's my favorite course at Half Moon Bay. They're both high four-star/almost five-star experiences that are entirely unique. It's too bad the land for the Ocean course wasn't given to someone with a better links pedigree than Arthur Hills. I can only imagine what Tom Doak or David McLay Kidd might have created. Hills cooked up too many elevated greens for my liking. Some greens accept bouncing approaches but not enough. Several contrived humps, like the one fronting the first green, actually repel shots. I am a big fan of the five par-5s/five par-3s routing, though, and the vistas from several elevated tees - no. 2, no. 13, no. 16 - are what make playing along the coastal cliffs so much fun.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

Commented on 09/18/2015

Grew up in HMB. You hit the nail on the head with your review of the Ocean Course. Is good, could be great. And for the price, it ought to be great.

"This course is a good value for money ocean course"

matthiasgraef's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/10/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

We went to the course basically because of a decent offer that they made us in december. But it was worth it. The course was in a good shape. Playing just at the ocean front was great. Would recommend it.