A view from Rustic Canyon Golf Course.

Rustic Canyon Golf Course

Year Built 2001
Architect Gil Hanse (2001) Geoff Shackelford (2001)

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard
Metal Spikes Allowed Soft spikes only
Dress code Proper attire is required. Bermuda length shorts are OK. Collared shirts are required. No denim.

Snacks

Clubhouse

Commented on 07/06/2020

Hi bomondesi43. We would love to hear more about your positive experience at our course. Please contact us at (805) 530-0221 to share with us your favorite part of your experience with us. Thanks for golfing at Rustic Canyon Golf Course!

Rustic Canyon

Great course! No complaints. Played faster than last time.

Great track and fast play

Wow if only the golf world played like this before the pandemic. Great course in pretty good shape. 4 1/2 round. Can’t beat it.

Commented on 07/06/2020

Hi, goblue121. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Rustic Canyon Golf Course. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

Excellent condition

Can’t say this enough. You guys keep this course in fantastic condition. So glad we have carts again. Always a great round at Rustic. See you soon.

Commented on 07/06/2020

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences, u303712984. Please tell us more about what you enjoyed from your round with us. Thanks for choosing us!

Beautiful course

I’ve played here 5-6 times in the past couple of months. This is as pretty a course as there is in LA area. It’s for some really fun holes as well.

The issue with this course is the “challenging” greens. Several are gimmicky/ridiculous.

I played one round with a 3 and a 6. I’m a very good putting 12. There were a number of holes where no one’s first putt got within 10 feet of the hole. The first round is particularly rough because of you don’t know where the Volkswagens are on the greens you can be in a bad situation.

Generous fairways but if you miss you probably won’t find your ball.

Drive it straight play it a couple of times and the course is gettable.

I’ve played here a lot recently for a reason. Well-designed, beautiful course in good shape.

Commented on 07/06/2020

Hi David3626963. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Rustic Canyon Golf Course.

A Terribly Managed Gem

Wonderful golf course that is horribly mis-managed. 1. Checked in and was not offered range ball purchase option. Only learned of that when I got across property and had to walk all the way back to pro shop to purchase driving range balls. Would have been super easy to simply ask, “Would you like some range balls.” Staff didn’t. 2. No one at first tee. So some rude person interrupted our three-some at 3:40 on the first tee box on Father’s Day by riding up on the back of a cart apparently being driven by his two daughters and demanding to be allowed to tee off because his tee-time was 3:20. We told him to go meet up with his group and he held us up — and the group in front of us — all day with rabble-rousing and playing multiple balls. 3. No ranger to clean up his mess. 4. No drink cart. 5. There were craftsman-made Cooler holders around course but not one cooler in them. 6. At the turn, I went back to drink purchase window to buy more water and a G2 for myself and my son. Closed. Tried pro shop for water (we were walking); closed. 7. Greens are beautifully designed and built but ridiculously poorly maintained. Long and slow and pockmarked with hundreds of ball marks that apparently no one was repairing. How about giving out 2 cent ball repairers and encouraging folks to repair their marks? Something to preserve the greens. 8. No seed in the seed container on the push cart. Some sluggo was sitting on a golf cart in the cart shed while another worker signed us in. That dude should have been working — filling the seed containers. 9. Bunkers were not being raked by anyone. There were some rakes, including at the practice bunker next to the chipping green. (So it wasn’t a Covid, no-rake thing.) But no one was encouraged to rake by starter or pro shop. All you have to do is tell folks to rake and then leave it inside or outside of the bunker — whatever rule you want to adopt. But no one said anything and so, as could be expected, none of the golfers did anything. This is a truly wonderful golf course that is too inexpensive. They should charge $10/round more so that the above problems can be fixed. And someone needs to manage the place. It deserves far better management than it is getting now. Could be an absolute gem. Hanse did his job. Now management needs to do theirs.

Commented on 07/06/2020

Hello, zglVUO9u0g1pnEAo31bU. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Commented on 06/19/2020

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences, u984419605. Please tell us more about what you enjoyed from your round with us. Thanks for choosing us!

Course is great but tough to walk

The course is in good shape, the greens were recently punched and not rolled, so they were a bit slower that normal.
No electric carts made it difficult to walk - long distance between greens and next tees.

Commented on 06/09/2020

Hi Mike32286. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Rustic Canyon Golf Course.

Commented on 06/09/2020

We're glad you enjoyed your 5-star experience with us, u314160048454. Please comment or reach out to our team in the golf shop to let us know more about your round!

Bring back the carts

Great course. The only negative is my golf partner and I are 64 years old with bad knees and we need a cart to finish 18 holes. Come on guys do something about this. That being said I love this course. Always in excellent shape. I love the layout it’s challenging but fair. Greens and aprons as well as fairways and tee boxes are all you can ask for in a course.got 13 holes in today. Love this course.

Commented on 06/09/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, u303712984! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Rustic Canyon Golf Course!

Fun course to play with lots of great view and wildlife to see. Today we saw at least 100 rabbits, a bobcat and a roadrunner, very cool. The downside at Rustic is the pace of play, 2hrs 30mins to play the front 9 at 4:40pm on an average busy weekday. The greens and surrounding fringes looked like they were punched 1-2weeks ago which made making any putts a challenge.

Commented on 06/01/2020

Thank you for visiting us at Rustic Canyon Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Go!

Go play this course. Right now. You didn't know that you needed to, but now you do.

Commented on 06/01/2020

devinfalk, we want to hear more about your experience with us! Please call us at (805) 530-0221. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Charming Desert Links

I have fallen in love with this course , epic design, great hole variation, wide fairwaya so you can let rip but challenging to hit greens, gotta be accurate.

It is like playing a classic links course, wind, tricky undulations and need to play some bump and run shots, not all wedge

I am British so the novelty of seeing wildlife like road runners and snakes ( at a distance), plus the semi desert setting and vegetation really made it a novelty for me. No rain too was nice.

If I were to live in CA long term this is where I would take my guests to play authentic golf.

Commented on 06/01/2020

Hi ga964401996. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Rustic Canyon Golf Course.

They claim its a LINKS course, when in fact its a COW PASTURE. Mostly dirt and dust, greens very poor, dusty dirty sandy trails thru the weeds from hole to hole. Way over priced - unbelievable it costs that much for such a Dirt Patch Cow Pasture.

Commented on 06/09/2020

Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve, and we are working towards getting things up to par. Thank you for playing Rustic Canyon Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 06/01/2020

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences, MrSchmidty. Please tell us more about what you enjoyed from your round with us. Thanks for choosing us!

One of the Best Experiences in LA

Walked Rustic Canyon for $21 at 2PM, wow what a bargain. Honestly this course is amazing and the conditions were awesome. If you really appreciate a well designed golf course you will be very please, it is so unique and interesting like nothing you can find in the LA area. The whole course was in great shape, only small negatives were the tee boxes were a little chewed up and the bunkers weren't great but most courses right now are like this due to the amount of play and the lack of rakes on courses. The best thing is the price of this place, cant't beat it and I was able to appreciate the course a lot more by walking it. The scenery was beautiful, so quite and peaceful and didn't feel like I was only 30 minutes from downtown LA. Clubhouse looked really nice, staff was friendly. Overall 5 stars, absolutely must play and amazing experience for under $25, well worth the drive.

Commented on 06/01/2020

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences, THEMAN1116. Please tell us more about what you enjoyed from your round with us. Thanks for choosing us!

I really enjoy playing this course; BUT…

I start out by saying, I really enjoy playing this course; BUT…
I’m really confused and irritated about electric carts not being allowed; not even for a single rider, like many other courses are doing, effectively and safely. I suffer from a blood clot in my left calve; and, one in my brain. Yes, really, in my brain. Because of this “policy”; or, whatever it is, electric carts are not allowed. I had to stop short and played only 9-holes. You can imagine why. My question is, what possible medical, scientific, COVID-19, believable and, or, reasonable explanation could there by not permitting electric carts? Especially in light of those courses that are allowing there use.

Again, I do enjoy Rustic! I just think this decision is unnecessary and does some harm and strong inconvenience to those who really could use them.

Thank you for listening!

Commented on 06/01/2020

Hello, thethinman. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. Thank you for choosing Rustic Canyon Golf Course. We would love to know how we can earn those last two stars next time!

California Advisor

Rustic

Walked the Blues (6634/72.0/130 in 4H, 45M mid day. Pleasure to be paired up with Ben and Chris, good golfers and nice guys. POP great on the front, we waited practically every shot on the back. We played behind a 5some that definitely was running out of steam on the back in sunny, windy conditions in the high 70's. $49 a little steep to walk on a weekday.

Love the large greens with mowed down aprons on this course. I remember when Rustic first opened, it was SO different than almost any other course in So Cal. First round here is several years, felt like sitting down and catching up with an old friend.

New Blue tee on #6 since the last time I played here makes a huge difference. Hit a 9 iron today, usually #6 from the old Blues was a 4 iron for me.

Tees were punched this morning. Did not affect play, they were decently maintained.

Fairways cut close and were firm.

Rough better than i remember here. Not tall, but it was more consistent than I remember previously.

Greenside Sand traps had okay sand but did not look like they had been raked in awhile. Waste bunkers are usually hard packed and have plenty of rocks in them.

Greens were as I remembered. Firm, medium to medium fast and several holes you just cannot be above the hole.

COVID-19: Walking only, noodles in the bottom of the cups allowed the ball to go in. No bathrooms @ the clubhouse, they required premade tee times.

Customer service very good, they worked me in before my tee time with the 2some. Cart gal around several times. Conditions just good, far from great. However, IMO, Rustic is a must play experience if you are in the northern L.A. area just because of the nuiances and different feel from 98% of So Cal courses. Recomended.

Commented on 06/01/2020

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences, nickesquire. Please tell us more about what you enjoyed from your round with us. Thanks for choosing us!

Fillmore, California