Year Built 1895
Fairways Rye Grass
Greens Rye Grass

Cafe

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Gem of a course ruined by management

I live next door to the course and usually choose to drive 25 minutes to play elsewhere usually rather than deal with the management of this place. Every time I deal with someone there, they are rude and make me feel dirty. It's a shame because it's such a joyful course, but then you get a couple of holes in and realize you're in for a five hour round because of the way they've packed the place. You're better off elsewhere. Shame on the Presidio Trust for letting this management company ruin the place

Great surprise

The last time and only other time I played Presidio was during the 80’s! I thought this was the longest 6300+ yds, I have ever played! Well it wasn’t that different! But the course conditions were so much better! There weather was as good as it gets! This is a must play! There wasn’t much to complain about, other than that age old complaint! “Fix your ball marks!!!” I can tell there are a lot of people.working their butts off to keep this Great golf course in very, very nice shape! Please keep up the good work!
I will be back and I will definitely recommend President to everyone!

Texas Advisor

Walking Presidio...

While on a recent trip to San Fran for work I got out to Presidio to play some golf. I've been on an old course kick lately, and this offered the promise of old style strategic golf in a cool setting. I was not disappointed!

Immediately when you turn into the park it's like entering a new world. It went from being clear and sunny to chilly and foggy quick. For the first several holes it was hard to follow the ball all the way down, but that's to be expected.

I walked to maximize my ability to take in the course. It's a tough walk. Nearly every hole has dramatic elevation changes. However, unlike some other courses, the constant changes in elevation didn't feel forced or gimmicky (looking at you Wolf Creek). The course just felt very natural, using the terrain that existed. The results are several stunning holes. I was particularly fond of holes 2, 4, 9, 10, 12, 13, and 17. That's a lot, but number 12 was my favorite. It's a long par 4 that turns left. Off the tee, you face an elevated shot down to the fairway. There is a reachable bunker on the left side and the right side shortens up in the landing area too as the hole bends to the left... a good strategic drive if ever there was one. For the approach you go back up hill to a narrow green with a severe slope in front. It's a stunning hole, but definitely deserving of its designation as the #1 handicap.

It's also worth noting, this course has some of the best bunkering I've ever seen. The irregular shapes with thick, long grass surrounding look incredible and certainly put some fear in you. Besides just looking great, I found the bunkers to be very playable with a nice amount of sand.

The staff is super friendly. The practice area/driving range is nothing to write home about, but gives you adequate means to warm up.

Long story short, this is a great place to play some golf and to clear your mind with a nice walk. Don't miss out.

Ups & Downs

The Presidio is an elegant, old school San Francisco track going back to when it was part of the Army base. It's a very hilly layout--there are flat lies out there but don't count on them. It also has its share of narrow, tree-lined fairways and well-bunkered greens, some of which are multi-level and quite canted. To make the course even tougher, wind & late afternoon fog can turn a pleasant round into a mini death march. Good thing there's a wonderful clubhouse with lounge & restaurant waiting for you next to the 18th hole.

California Advisor

Presido

Rode the Blacks (6481/72.6/135) in 3H, 50M mid day. Paired with Sal/Sebastian, local father/son, very nice to play with. Weather was partly cloudy, windy and around 60 that felt like 50 with the wind.

Great views overlooking San Francisco, beautiful old school layout that dates to the early 1900's. Many holes had OB, ESA or lateral hazards that play as dry red staked areas down at least one side. Frequently the low side with shots running toward it. No water hazards, but long native grass and thousands of 75-100' tall Eucalyptus and Monterrey Cypress await any shot more than a few yards off line. Most holes have severe elevation changes. Many fairways also slant noticeably from high side to low side that requires hitting the high side fairly close to the rough to keep it in the fairway on the low side. Two severely downhill par 3's where the combination of wind/elevation change made club selection a sheer guess.

Tees were okay, would prefer lusher but they had adequate coverage.

Fairways were mostly lush and you are likely to not have a level lie.

Rough mostly mowed down close to the fairways, very playable. Native rough high. Deep, native rough around bunkers was a hope you whack it out or a lost ball waiting to happen.

Sand traps? This layout has more than it's fair share. One of the best designed courses for sand traps I have ever played. Stratigically placed bunkers are placed throughout the layout waiting to gobble up shots that take the natural roll of the slopes. Traps here were outstanding! Beautifully maintained, almost unbelieveably good considering the windy area the course is located. Generous amount of nice beach sand, I was in a half dozen and every one had a nice cushion underneath the ball.

Large greens were a combination of bent/poa that they had putting at a medium speed. Which was a good thing, because while there a few true tiers, these greens have alot of slope from back to front. If you were on the other side of most greens, it was severely up/down hill. They held irons very well.

Customer Service overall was exactly what you would expect of a high end club from the pro shop, starter and Marshall. All attentive and highly efficient. Well stocked pro shop and a busy restaurant on site and another snack stand fully manned out on the course. Cart gal out making the rounds. 10/10 to all those people. However, very unimpressed with the cart staff after the round. I finally got my own clubs off the cart and carried them to the parking lot after two of them stood by fiddling with their cell phones and talking about music for several minutes.

Challenging and fun were my thoughts about this layout. Loved the slanting fairways being framed with the huge trees, you had to keep your tee shot within roughly a 40 yard wide window from start to finish to avoid it being knocked down or swallowed up by the thick limbs often overhanging almost to the edge of the fairway. Rarely do I pay high fees to play even higher end courses. This one justifies the north of $100 fee. Must play course in the S.F. area. Highly recommended.

Fun option close to the city

Tiny greens and major elevation changes make for a fun round. A little too narrow in spots for me (especially with the wind) but overall a cool historic course with great bunkering

Foggy not soggy

Great course for scenery, layout, environment and uniqueness. One exception. We played the front 9 in 2 hours. Took a latrine break and we’re back on 10 minutes later. Course Marshall told us we were slow. Had a girl on cart follow us on number 10 telling us at least once to play faster even telling us we would get penalized by having us skip a hole. We played our normal pace to finish number 10. As soon as we walked to number 11 she thanked us for catching up. I don’t know what that was about but they need to not do that for a round that is pacing at 9 holes in two hours.

Loved it

This is the first course I've ever played in San Francisco and I was very impressed. The views were really nice and conditions great. I found it to be a difficult course, but I haven't played a hilly course like that in a while, if ever, which made it challenging to see where the ball would run. I particularly enjoyed the well designed par 3's. A little pricey, but well worth the cost.

Play it if you get a chance

I got to play on a weekday mid-morning, the tee sheet was fairly open. The staff were very friendly. Played with two locals, one in particular was quite friendly and offered tips about playing the course. The course was in perfect condition, although the fairways were a little soft from a rainy winter. The greens were smooth and rolled true. The layout meanders up and down the rolling hills of the property so a majority of your lies will not be flat. They have a warm up area for putting as well as a range.

Mississippi Advisor

Not Pristine, But Somehow It Works

The Presideo is a little rough around the edges. The fairways and greens have splotches of invasive grass, and some fairways have some worn spots along the edges. Usually, the bugs me when at a course where the greens fee is north of $100. But somehow, it works. It fits the character of the course, which is lined by wild old trees, tall thick grasses, and is full of the sort of ragged bunkers you'd normally find on a Coore and Crenshaw track. The course makes the most of its remarkable elevation changes; driver is almost always the play off the tee (No. 1 is a noteable exception), but the topography usually neutralizes the long hitter's advantage (see No. 17, for example). There are also plenty of blind approach shots. A very fun, thoughtful course.

Fun, Gorgeous Course

We played after about a week of rain, and only a day of sun and got caught in a brief downpour - so, I'm not going to complain about the course being soggy, which it was, but instead praise it for being as playable as it was, with surprisingly few ponds anywhere on the course. The course is a challenge for a new player like me, but I'm sure gets easier with experience and skill. Greens were slow due to the weather but well maintained, and there's no evidence of the drought that dried out this and other courses over the last few years. We also met a (probably overly) friendly coyote during our round, which was a treat. Highly recommend if you're in the City and are looking for a good round. Clubhouse food is rather good as well.

Not Bad

If your looking for a casual round of golf with your friends, this is a good course. On the other hand, it is definitely not a championship course due to the slow pace of play and the inconsistent conditions.

great course, great layout, awful greens.

love this course. the layout is pretty awesome with great views of the city.

fairways- Lush, soft, fairly thin.
rough- thick and long
bunkers- perfect
greens- horrible

Texas Advisor

San Francisco's best golf course!

The Presidio's elevation changes from tee to green make shot accuracy paramount. Playing from the rough leaves you hitting your ball from deep grass and adding strokes. Aesthetically beautiful, the course is lined with majestic trees on each fairway. Greens are large and tilted and the fairways are wide. I love this course. Great pro shop staff and excellent 19th hole.

This course is like Olympic and Harding

This course is in pretty good condition. If you don't like bad weather this is not a good course for you. Pace of play is pretty slow but there aren't any holes that create a huge back-up. The greens are pretty slow.

Great greens

The greens have a lot of slopes and the course has a lot of obstacles. For an average player this is a good course. Overall the staff is very friendly.

The course is in great shape right now. It has very good fairways.

There are quite a few bunkers and they're placed very well.

Poor weather

One of my favorite courses

Expensive BUT worth it. It was 50 degrees, windy with some of the worst fog I have ever seen and it didn't matter. I enjoyed every second of the 18 holes I played and I will definitely play it again in the near future. Beautiful course, well maintained only thing I did not like was the electronic golf carts. They only let you drive to certain spots on the course and then should shut down and make you reverse in some areas. Happened on the fairway twice and I thought I was going to be stuck. BUT, having the GPS marker on the cart was great for being able to pick the correct club every shot.

A little like Olympic, just not as hard

It may be only 6,500 yards or so, but there's a lot of Olympic Club in the Presidio Golf Course. When the course is good condition, as it was when I played it (greens were a little slow, though), the holes look great and there are plenty of hills. Those hills mean adding or subtracting up to two or three shots on approaches. Factor in a little wind and some difficult rough, and you've got a pretty good test. Also, play this course from the back tees, and it's all the golf most people can handle. I really love the finishing stretch, including the par-5 18th with its fairway running along an impressive grove of mature trees.

Great course in San Francisco

If you don't like tight tree lined courses you might want to avoid the Presidio. However, you will be missing a great golf course. The course isn't overly long but, if you stray from the fairway, the tree lined fairways can take your 250 yard drive that strays a bit and turn it into a 150 yard drive and leave you with a shot that you have to work around those same trees that snatched your golf ball from the sky. Side hill lies abound. You have to work the ball both ways to score well. If you miss playing this course you may be missing one of San Francisco's great golf courses and it has a ton of them.

Daly City, California