This classic golf course is arguably one of the top venues in the country. Pasatiempo was certainly one of designer Alister MacKenzie's favorites. The legendary architect made his home off the par-5 sixth hole and regarded the difficult, uphill 16th as one of the best par 4s ever designed by him or anyone else. To make it even better, the golf club embarked on a two-year restoration project headed up by Tom Doak. The result was nothing less than spectacular as bunkers and greens were to returned original specifications with modern turf and drainage technology. With its great design and elevation changes, Pasatiempo Golf Club plays much longer than its yardage and will test good players. The back nine is particularly strong, perhaps as good as any in the country.

Pasatiempo Golf Club

Year Built 1929
Fairways Winter Rye Grass
Greens Poa Annua Grass

Caddies Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Amex MasterCard Visa card(s) Welcomed

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 12

3.5 hours!

Played the course at 8 am behind three walking members. Finished in 3.5 hours. It was incredible. I have played many high ensnared course but this was the best. Having been to Augusta national for the masters, this was the closest course I have played (only about 1000 yards shorter). Love it. A bit pricey but for a 3.5 hour round I was happy with the value.

Play it if you get the chance.

First Visit and I will be back.

The course is famous or infamous for the greens. They lived up to their reputation. They were generally fast and may were exceptionally difficult. At times the course felt tight and it wasn’t long by today’s standards. Overall a great outing.

Best course I have played hands down

my number 1 course I have ever played
if in town try and play the course
I will most definitely return to play this course

Never disappoints. Greens were not crazy fast this time out.
Not a blade of grass out of place.

Bucket list course hits all the Marks

This is just one of those courses you have to play while you can afford it. At a fraction of the cost of a round at Pebble or Spyglass this course delivers layout and shots you can only hope for. I mean it's Alister McKenzie!

It's not a pretentious course at all, without the usual stuffy private course feel. We were sent off in a shotgun start which was a surprise, but otherwise had a perfect day.

Don't let the sticker price scare you, we got a great deal right here on GolfNow. I say go as soon as you can before the prices go up again!

Simply spectacular

Waited 4 decades for my opportunity to play Pasatiempo and just checked it from my bucket list. One of the greatest golf courses that a regular guy can have access to. Just need the game to compete against it. And the golf Gods smiled upon me with a sparkling 72 degree day and my A game.
It is in the same league as Spyglass and Pebble Beach.

Best Course Layout I’ve Ever Played

This course is one of the best golf courses I’ve ever played in.

The layout is a masterpiece. The conditions were very well-kept. The strategy needed to earn a birdie is vital.

Dr. Alister Mackenzie really wanted the golfer to enjoy this course but at the same time, each birdie must be earned!

I’ll be back for more rounds.

A terrific day of golf!

The course and grounds are gorgeous. The layout is outstanding and the course was maintained at the highest level that I have ever experienced. A perfect day of golf.

West Coast swing review

This course is an extremely tough test of golf. Not over long but requires precise ball striking especially into the greens.
Tough bunkering and very undulating greens make this a course that only really good golfers (3 or below) would enjoy. At $275 a round it is really top end on price. Clubhouse was tired and changing rooms needed up grading. Food and beverage staff very friendly. Golf shop staff less so.
Unless you enjoy really tough tests don’t go here

Review from a Caddy Perspective

I caddied for a buddy in US Open so I just wanted to a throw a review out there from a different perspective.

- Legendary, awesome, beautiful, stunning, relentless, pure, must-play, underrated.

That's it.

Worst Conditions on the best layout

I played the course on 4/28/19 and it was the worst conditions I have ever played on.

That said, the course was one of my all time favorite layouts ever.

I will play here again once it heals from getting punched (and not before) as I think it would be a true test of your golf skills.

However as it stands regardless of the reduced cost for greens fees due to the recently punched greens and fairways the value represented is next to nil as the course is basically unplayable. Even all of the beautiful green contours... the ball just doesn’t break when the greens are running at 6-7 on a stimp meter.

Wait for the greens & fairways to heal

Flat out, this is one of the prettiest courses you will ever find. It’s a true test of every club in your bag, and from downhill, uphill and side hill lies at some point in your round as the fairways don’t have a lot of flat spots.

That said, I played it right after they punched the greens and fairways and so while they usually have the greens rolling at 12-15... they were at a 6-7 today... so all of the amazing Mackenzie green contours... nope the ball just landed and stopped. Even putts that would probably be 90degree putts at 12-13 were maybe 25-30degree putts.

Stated simply, the way it played was not what Mackenzie intended at all. I’ll be back to the west coast just to test my game on this course every so often as this course in working order would be a true test of anyone’s game.

Worth noting: the back 9 is probably the best 9 hole stretch of golf outside of pine valley.

Great Day of Golf

Pasatiempo lived up to its hype. The staff was friendly and helpful. The course was in fabulous shape. The greens were incredibly fast and difficult. It's a must-play

Great experience

Staff was friendly and helpful, layout is great and the course, greens and tee boxes were in excellent shape

An Alister MacKenzie Gem You Can and Should Play

I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to play Mackenzie's masterpiece Crystal Downs here in northern Michigan a few times every summer. I have also played his design at the University of Michigan several times. It's safe to say that I am a huge fan of his work. So a tee time at Pasatiempo was a must during our trip to the area to watch the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am.

Articles I read beforehand referred to the back nine as one of the best nine hole stretches of golf holes in the world. As I walked down the fourth fairway, I thought to myself, how can it get any better than this?

The recent renovations done by Tom Doak, from what I understand, really brought back a lot of the original feel of the course. I must say, the bunkering certainly looks like classic MacKenzie...the rounded shapes are beautiful to look at and enjoyed most when your ball avoids them.

My wife and I walked the course; I carried and she pushed a cart. The elevation changes are significant and she grew tired soon after we made the turn. She doesn't have the chance to play much golf and accordingly, found the course to be challenging, which added to her fatigue.

As an avid walker, I too was well aware of the fact that we had walked after the round, but it is the best way to enjoy this beautiful course. The greens putted well with speeds that were probably close to what the design intended. After all, there are plenty of greens that demonstrate MacKenzie's love for undulation.

Course conditions, speed of play, and overall courtesy of the staff were all wonderful. It's a course that is worth the price and if I ever return to the area, I will certainly play here again. With any luck at all, it will be following a round at his Cypress Point masterpiece.

Santa Cruz, California