Carlton Oaks Lodge & Country Club

Regular (W) 72 6140 yards 76.3 143
Yellow 72 5684 yards 67.9 125
Yellow (W) 72 5684 yards 73.8 138
Scorecard for Carlton Oaks Country Club
Black M: 75.1/142 445 181 558 510 312 435 211 403 543 3598 483 409 199 611 472 577 368 148 439 3706 7304
Blue M: 72.8/135 W: 79.4/152 394 163 518 438 303 391 198 376 528 3309 433 355 169 574 427 546 347 140 400 3391 6700
Green M: 71.1/131 394 163 502 394 303 362 139 342 505 3104 387 355 169 527 381 546 347 140 364 3216 6320
White M: 70.1/128 W: 76.1/145 382 146 502 394 272 362 139 342 505 3044 387 338 130 527 381 492 311 127 364 3057 6101
Yellow M: 68.1/122 W: 73.9/136 359 136 433 343 250 341 114 326 482 2784 357 312 105 514 371 472 299 118 352 2900 5684
Red M: 65.0/113 W: 70.2/130 343 106 413 322 240 257 98 279 423 2481 300 301 85 434 338 443 274 89 294 2558 5039

Year Built 1958
Architect William W. Mast (1958) Perry Dye (1989)

So many bunkers, it is ridiculous!

I played this course for the first time. It has so many bunkers that it falls in the ridiculous, and on top of that most of them have clay, not sand.. it is very hard to do a proper bunker shot. It also has lots of dry areas in the fairways, so, that is not good. Most of the greens are OK, but some of them have dry spots and it seems that a lot of people do not fix their divots. I think I will play it again in a year.. Not looking forward to do it soon.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 10/12/2018:
Hi manuelbravo, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback. We're sorry to hear your experience with us was anything short of 5-stars. We hope this doesn't deter you from returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing.

good value

Greens were very good, fairways were good considering not much rain. Bunkers are getting better. Challenging with mature trees on the back side. Great finishing par 4. Nice bar for a after round drink. No complaints here. Play it during the week and enjoy the day.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 10/12/2018:
Hi harddraw, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you enjoyed your round. We hope to see you again soon!

Decent course

Played here earlier in the year and really didn’t enjoy so I decided to give them another chance.

It was better this time but not great. Had fun and the course is a decent test but its got some trouble areas. A few of the tee boxes, some of the fairways and the greens could use some work.

Overall for the price (got a Hot deal) it was a decent round.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 10/10/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you came back for another round, but are sorry that the course conditions weren't completely up to expectations. We had a pretty warm summer and the weather took a slight toll on the course. We hope you consider returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing!

It could be great

The course layout is great except coming into the setting sun on 18. I still rate the layout as excellent. Fairways are great, greens are fair to good. Pace is usually pretty good. Practice range has been on rugs for a long time now. So tired of that. It’s damaging to wrists and elbows and not an effective practice. Bunkers have always blown here. A couple with soft dirt, most are hard pack dirt. Lastly, how hard would it be to put a little water in the ball cleaners? Not having a towel, I can work with that. But no water in the cleaners for as long as I can remember. GolfNow gets you a decent price. The straight pricing is high for a course that doesn’t take care of the golfer. If it wasn’t so close, I doubt I’d play here much.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 10/04/2018:
Hi matthewosburn, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear your round with us was anything short of 5-stars. We hope this doesn't deter you from returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing!

A good challenging course at a reasonable rate

Played on a Saturday afternoon. Lots of players but the staff handled the starts well. Course conditions were ok. Greens were a bit slow but quite well-maintained. We hit from the whites which was a good decision. This course would be very challenging from the blue tees and much more from the black tees. You got to hit a good one with every shot. I like this course and would love to play it regularly.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 10/04/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback about your round and hope to see you again for another one soon. Thanks for playing Carlton Oaks Golf Club!

Good Layout

The course has a good layout, with some interesting holes. The conditions were good, and the greens rolled fairly well, but were a bit slow. I hadn't played here in a few years, and I wouldn't hesitate to come back here again.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 10/01/2018:
Hi Benedict, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback about your round and hope to see you again for another one soon. Thanks for playing Carlton Oaks Golf Club!

Good golf course

This course is very nice and good green fee including cart. We want to play again.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 09/26/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Carlton Oaks Golf Club!

Pedigree course at a great price

Carlton Oaks is one of the few Dye design tracks in our area. It had great bones, with a variety of holes--none the same. The greens were in very nice shape, and the overall course conditions were very good. Not great, but close. This is one of my favorite courses to play, due to the variety, quality, and value.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 09/25/2018:
Hello, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again for another one soon. Thanks for playing Carlton Oaks Golf Club!

Punched greens

We knew ahead of time the greens were punched and the price we paid was thru a Hot Deal. We both felt the course was in good shae and the greens will come back.

Jhartigan

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 09/19/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback about your round and your patience while the course heals from being aerated. We hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Carlton Oaks Golf Club!

Carlton Oaks?...NOT TODAY

Somewhere on Golf now during the selection process it should tell you that the greens were recently aerated. Tee boxes were fine, fairways were green, greens were a beach. If you pay expecting that then it is your choice. if you show up with your new putter as I did, it was basically a wasted event. I would call 16 of the 18 greens not acceptable (as normal greens).

I get the need to aerate, just tell your customers early.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 09/19/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear your round with us was anything short of 5-stars. We do inform GolfNow to update the notes on our tee times every time we aerate our greens, so we apologize if you missed it or if the notification wasn't clear. We hope this doesn't deter you from returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing!
Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 09/04/2018:
Hi SLOGolfer, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear the course conditions weren't up to expectations during your round, but are happy to hear you enjoyed the layout. We hope you consider returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing Carlton Oaks Golf Club.

GOOD ROUND

There is a lot of work going on at this course. not

a lot of diviot fixing going on on the greens. some wet spots on the fairways. very enjoyable round of golf. not too crowded. The staff was excellent.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 08/28/2018:
Hello, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again for another one soon. Thanks for playing #CarltonOaksGolfClub!

Great round at the Carlton Oaks

Had a great round not only in scoring but all throughout. Started with very friendly and accommodating staff at the checkin counter. Had to change some online reservations and usually you get that was done on line and we can’t help with, instead the staff we out of their way to make changes for me. Later had a small wait at the starter station and that gentleman was very helpful with the group I was playing with, their first time. The course, always plays hard, especially if you struggle with your tee shot. Which I did for the first 3 holes and then settled down and started to hit fairways. Greens we rolling fast and true. Made some long putts to save par on a few holes and even roled one in for birdie. Marevelous weather, slight breeze, teamed up with good competitors and great personal round (3 over). Nice cold adult breverage at the bar. Great day at an excellent golf course. Thank you Carlton Oaks.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 08/22/2018:
Hello, thanks for the kind words and great review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing #CarltonOaks!

One of the Best in SD

Tough fun course. Always has been. Like many have stated, this course doesn't have a plethora of water to deal with but they are using what they have well as the fairways and greens still look good. The layout is a classic. One shouldn't miss this place if looking to play one of the tougher/funner courses in Dan Diego.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 08/22/2018:
Hello, we appreciate the great review! We are doing our best with the warm summer conditions and are happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us. We hope to see you again for another round soon! Thanks for playing Carlton Oaks Golf Club.

Disappointing Conditions

I've played Carlton Oaks many times over the years, but the course conditions were rather disappointing and below average. I've played the course when it was in excellent condition.

Given the conditions today, it is clear that not much water has been used to maintain fairways and greens due to challenges imposed by limitations in water use. But, there are other aspects of maintaining the course that don't require water, but could be done to improve conditions. For example, the green complexes were rather rough and ratty with bunkers of hard pan sand, edges needing trimming, and greens that were patchy and weed laden in spots.

Overall, the course was in marginal condition suggesting to me that only the minimum in care is being provided. It's sad to see this Pete Dye layout not being attended to properly and with care because it really could be a nice course. In 2010, the course hosted the NCAA D1 Western Regional Tournament and the course was in great shape. I know ownership has changed and there are other forces determining how much can be appropriated in caring for the course.

Well, it shows!

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 08/14/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear the conditions of the course weren't up to expectations. We appreciate you giving us a shot!

Great Layout!

This course has quickly become one of my favorites in California. The layout is fun and just the right amount of challenging. The conditions were pretty bad, but its what I come to expect for inland courses getting hammered by heat waves. The greens were slowwww, and tee boxes were mediocre at best. The fairways were alright for August. Can't wait to see what it looks like later this year.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 08/17/2018:
Hello Evora, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your patience while we deal with the summer heat. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again sometime later in the year when conditions have improved! Thanks for playing Carlton Oaks Golf Club.
Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 08/07/2018:
Hi Mike, thanks for the great review! We're happy to hear your round with us was enjoyable and hope to see you again for another one soon. Thanks for playing #CarltonOaksGolfClub!

Get it moving

C.O. is a fun but challenging course - you need accuracy to stay out of trouble. Good pace on the front 9, but then we caught 3 groups and it got REALLY slow. No one in front of the first group, marshal should have been out there getting them moving. And on a hot day, we saw the cart girl on the first hole and that was it for the day.... c'mon, need a beer out here!

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 08/07/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback about your round and are sorry to hear the pace of play wasn't up to par. We hope you consider returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing!

Challenging Course

Ball position is very important. Not every hole is a driver. I chose to play on one of the hottest days. Temp was 96-99 deg f. Still had fun.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 07/30/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback about your round and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing #CarltonOaksGolfClub!
Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 07/30/2018:
Hi klicman, thanks for the great review! We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Carlton Oaks Golf Club!
Lakeside, California