Green Mountain National Golf Course

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Yellow 71 5115 yards 65.1 123
Yellow (W) 71 5115 yards 72.8 133

"Green Mountain National is Vermont Gold"

mk8q16ophx8011278's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2017

Tucked in the gorgeous mountains of Killington, Vermont, this track is a gem if you're looking for a spectacular setting with a challenging, yet fair golf course.

We started off at the driving range, enjoyed hitting a few moderately priced buckets (I think $7 for large) and also used their size able chipping and putting practice greens.

We played mid afternoon and the pace of play was fine. The course doesn't have houses bordering each hole like you see at most other high end club courses. The bonus being the view from each tee box and fairway is camera worthy. The course offers all you can handle from the back tees and plenty of fun from the other tees our group enjoyed. There are some elevation changes, a bit of water comes into play, but at every turn the beauty shines.

After the round, we enjoyed tasty burgers and wraps in the what looked like a renovated clubhouse. The staff from bag drop, check-in, to cart service and clubhouse were cheerful and fun. Looks like everyone enjoys their job and why wouldn't you at Green Mountain National.

"Great fun even in the rain"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather

A couple of my buddies and I had booked a trip up to Killington and this round was included in our stay. We had a 9am tee time, and when we woke up it had been raining pretty steadily. We called the golf course to make sure we could go out and Pat in the pro-shop assured us that she would do her best to get us out. As it was still raining, we were the only ones on the course so naturally I cannot speak to the pace of play. That being said this course was an absolute dream to play. Everything was supremely manicured and even though there was steady rain through the first nine holes, the course drained beautifully. The greens were like glass even despite the rain. Built on the side of the mountain, there are a fair amount of blind shots with plenty of elevation change. A little bit of course knowledge would go a long way to help cope with these types of shots. We rode but the course is potentially walkable. Very rarely on the course do you see another hole and I can only imagine the scenery on a sunny day, let alone once the leaves start to turn. Without question one of the nicest and most fun golf courses I have played and is definitely worth the trip.

"June Mountain Golf"

gubbydf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This golf course is one of the prettiest my wife and I have ever played. In the northeast winters can be very harsh and it was on this course's fairways. Many winter kill spots, which the staff apologized for, but still more green grass than brown. The greens were in excellent shape and rolled true. This course is set in two valleys of the Green Mountains near Killington, VT. We are from Wisconsin and wish it were closer. This course is not for the novice golfer. Many undulating lies in the fairways and the greens have of lot of break and undulations. When we played they were rolling to about a 10 on the stimpmeter. During the round we saw a coyote and two adult foxes and a kit. This course is a real gem in the Rutland/Killington area. For the price a bargain. We would go back in a heart beat. If in the area is course is a must play.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"tough course"

slamminsam34's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2014
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

Really nicely maintained course with lots of challenging holes. Lots of blind approaches and elevation changes make this course a true shotmaking challenge.

"Beautiful Curse in the Mountains"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2013

Got up early morning in Killington, Vt. (Killington Grand Resort), and snow was on the ground. :( But when I got to GMNGC some 5 miles down the mountain..... 15 degrees warmer, sun out and bright, and the most perfect day for golf in late October.<br/> Just about had the whole course to myself... :) Well, there was a few other folks on the course. I can't wait till next "SUMMER" when I'll come back to enjoy this course. LEJ

"Great views"

marcgiguere's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2013

The course was in great shape except for the fact that the greens had been aerated but not over dressed with sand. It made putting difficult. The views were spectacular. You'll play every club in your bag.

"great course"

fjf12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/25/2013

a must play when in the area. always in great condition. I have had issues with customer service in past, but this trip excellent service across board.

"Great in the fall"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/25/2013

Not only is the scenery fantastic in the fall, but the course was in excellent condition. Very fun to play - wish we'd had the time to play it more than once. Good course for all levels.

"Great conditions"

Pic1pic2's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/31/2013

This is a great challenge from back tee !! Greens are fast. I realy like that !

"Rate it number 1 public course in Vermont"

sparko's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/25/2013

We've been coming to Vt. one or two times a year for the past 30 yrs. We always make it point to play this great course at least twice during our stay. It truly deserves the No.#1 rated Public Course in Vt. Excellent Layout, excellent condition and fun to play.

"Beautiful scenery"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/21/2013

Would have liked a restroom on the course. Course was well marked and enjoyable.

"Green Mountain National Wonder"

et100's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/20/2013

Beautiful setting, challenging yet doable. Mountain course with plenty of level, visible holes. Definitely want to play a second time to "conquer" the course. Minor issue, 2 holes are along route 100, with trees and a fifty foot buffer.

"Very good course"

Kd0110's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/15/2013

great golf, nothing better than mountain golf! Would play it again.

"Great views frendly staff"

None's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/8/2013

the sixth day of our golf outting we are in Vermont the where else to play but The Green Mountain Golf Course. It lives up to the name a solid golf test with great views every where. you won't get bored here. frendly staff. Greens need a little work. Got a great rate with Golfnow $35.00 ea

"Beautiful well designed course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/7/2013

Best course in VT. Requires accuracy and every club in the bag. Every hole is interesting with possible exception of par 5 on the back nine.

"Picturesque."

teetime645's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/31/2013

The only thing wrong with the course was I didn't play better. It was so beautiful out there the strokes didn't matter.

"challenging yet fun."

oconnelp's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/22/2013

Great condition, a few wet areas like everyone. tee boxes and greens are remarkable. If you don't find the fairway on your drive, forget about it for the most part. Accuracy is critical on pae 3's. I only wish it was not so far away from me. My compliments to the grounds crew, for a municipal course they do a great job.

"Staff made us wait because we paid a reduced rate!"

u000004972097's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/13/2013

First I would like to state that this course was a beautiful and very challenging course. I played from the back tees which required you to drive the ball well. . It was carts path only due to the amount of rain that the area had which made the course play even longer. The carts had excellent GPS systems which were very helpful since it was our 1st time playing there. I did have an excellent round of 74.

The only reason why I rated this course low was due to the treatment we received from the staff. We got a great deal via GolfNow. The course was completely empty from 11:30 on. We got to the course early to hit balls and check out the surroundings. We were only a twosome. Knowing that the course was empty we asked if we can tee off early. They emphatically stated "Not at that price". Which is fine if there were people teeing off but we waited for over 1 hour and 1/2 and not a single person teed off. Don't get the rational. I knew the course was empty because we checked the tee times before going and except for the morning almost every time was available. Finally the let us tee off 15 min before our tee time. Then when we finished around 6:15 the place was completely shut down and locked. Pro shop, grill room , etc. Couldn't even go to bathroom or get a drink!

So they make us wait almost 2 hours when no one was playing then lock the doors. Just don't get it. Felt like we treated like second class citizens just because we got a good deal.

Anyway think that is a shame. I normally don't write reviews but me and my buddy felt like this was just silly and we still talk about it and with other golfers we know. Seemed like they just wanted to punish us for getting a great deal. We played Okemo the day prior and they treated us very nicely and were much more accommodating. Guess they value their guests a little more.

Don't think I will be back and my buddy feels the same. Guess they don't really care anyway and maybe that is why the place was empty!

Commented on 08/07/2016

I guess you should have made an earlier tee time.

"Mountain and hills very intense course"

Bysbigdog8758's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/7/2013

Great course but it was very wet and soggy , would love to play it when it's dry. But would play it again a little expensive and no senior rates.

"A good Challenge"

u000006420525's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/3/2013

This was the first time we had played the course and found out that knowledge of the course would save you some strokes. There were some holes that had blind shots and if you hit to the wrong side or too far would cause you problems. They had a lot of rain before we played and the course was extremely wet which changed the way it would normally play. Overall I thought it was a very good course and fun to play.