Rocky Point Golf Course

Rocky Point Golf Course has one of the most interesting histories of any golf course in Florida. Originally opened in 1911 under the name f the Tampa Automobile Club, it was one of the first courses in the state. It closed in 1942 due to World War II. After being turned over to the city of Tampa for a mere $1, it reopened in 1954 as Rocky Point Golf Course. It is the closest golf course to Tampa International Airport, only a 15-minute drive away. The layout provides a fair challenge water hazards coming into play on 11 holes and sand bunkers strategically placed throughout. Rocky Point Golf Course's lakes are home to an abundance of wildlife and also serves as a bird sanctuary.
Scorecard for Rocky Point Golf Course
Blue M: 70.5/128 381 377 477 104 387 155 389 535 448 3253 375 190 521 165 358 511 203 358 394 3075 6328
White M: 68.1/120 368 336 450 96 340 98 373 494 428 2983 333 168 485 140 325 466 169 305 362 2753 5736
Green M: 65.2/106 W: 69.6/118 349 311 397 93 313 75 346 479 388 2751 321 151 456 120 310 433 161 279 349 2580 5331
Red W: 68.4/114 328 280 385 78 280 65 329 432 378 2555 293 140 423 108 305 424 117 238 322 2370 4925

Year Built 1911
Architect Willie Black Ron Garl (1983)

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed

Fairways were horrible. Most of course under water. Lost 4 balls due to balls constantly plugging

Great place close to the city

Greens really surprised us... in a good way. Smooth roll and good pace. The rest of the course was so so. Good for a public course I suppose.

The layout of the course is interesting and fun- tough finishing 5 holes. Watch out cause those few ate my lunch- don’t go for 15 in two... it’s a trap. Seventeen is probably the shortest par 4 and the hardest off the tee. Take some extra time on each shot as you close out the back nine and you’ll be glad.

Zero beverage cart. Just a few waters coolers on the course and we found the most important one empty at 3pm.

No effort by the staff to pair people up so the course was covered by odd groupings of singles up to threes ones. We saw very few foursomes and the pace of play suffered as a result of that.

For $27 on a Saturday... I’d do it again!

A Varied Layout, Fun to Play

The layout of the course varied from fairly forgiving fairways with narrow ditches on many holes, to some challenging fairways with water in play. In particular, all holes from 14 onward were holes with water in play, making course management on those holes very important.

The greens were nicely shaped like flat domes with gentle slopes. Their grass was in very good condition, putts were rolling true.

Fairways were in average condition, the greens were in much better condition.

Overall a fun course to play.

Good value

The course has a good mix of short through long holes and the greens were in very good condition. The fairway and rough could use a little work, but we also played half the round in the rain. For my first time out there, I thought the course was worth the money and I would return again.

What happened?

Played here about two months ago and the course was in great shape. Not a overly tough course but a good to walk and the greens/fairways were in great shape. Not the case yesterday. Grass is gone on the fairways and the greens. Greens rolled really fast (because the grass isn't growing). Tees were in bad shape also. I hope they get it back to the shape it was in.

Decent Public Course

Rocky Point isn't flashy, but its proximity to the airport is a positive as you can go from the plane to the first tee in fifteen minutes. It's a public course with a simple layout and typical public course conditions. $25 for twilight play is pretty fair. Nothing to write home about.

Not bad!

The course layout is really good. The staff is friendly! The only problem is the greens are in rough shape. and by rough I mean if other golfers would fix their ball marks it would be a lot better. You can tell the crew puts some love into the course but it's up to us golfers to fix our marks! I'll be back for sure.

Re-Construction

Back nine is closed - totally being redone. Front nine is very slow - greens need work and many patches where a weed wacker would come in handy. When they finish the back nine, they will do the front nine. Do not play at any price for now...

challenge, good value

challenging layout, lots of water holes, some tight drives & approach shots, good greens, good grill room, slow round very busy course, can be soggy after rain, good value for $30

The best of the Tampa Sports Authority courses

Really good layout with some challenge but very fair design. I really enjoyed my round and look forward to playing again one day.

Fun course

I found the course to be in better condition than expectred for a city owned course. It has some challenging holes. Even though there were others on the course, there was no waiting time. We will play there again.

Great day

It was a great day. It had rained a couple if days earlier and I guess the course is not draining as fast as before because it was really wet for a 1pm tee time. Overall though, it was enjoyable. I would definitely play again.

What a Deal!

GolfNow got me and a friend on for $10 apiece. A third joined us later for full price $25. I think the normal prices are relatively fair for the course. The fairway roughs needed to be trimmed a bit, but overall the course was well groomed. The greens were nice, playing very slow. Length and pin placement were adequate. Wind plays a factor on this course, especially on the back 9. They have a driving range and putting green. Generally, a fun course. The back 9, has some fun holes and there are a few par 4s with modest length but narrow entry. 14 or 15 is tough, the hole with the creek plays REALLY long. Staff is friendly and the usual starter is nice.

Cslow play. No ranger. Long shaggy greens.

Waste of time. 13 holes in 4 hours. No ranger and course was in horrible condition.

One mile from my home, but I only play here about once a year

I get on planes and fly all over the country to play golf. When I'm not doing that, I have no problem driving 2-3 hours to play golf somewhere within the state of Florida. So why don't I play Rocky Point more often, considering it is literally the closest golf course to my home? Because they aren't worth it. First of all, they almost never allow singles to book a Hot Deal on GolfNow.com. That's bad business and it clearly is an ownership decision, because their partner courses do the exact same thing. Since I cannot book a Hot Deal as a single (which is how I play about 90% of my golf), that leaves me to pay their normal rates and I refuse to do that. Why would I give Rocky Point $20 and up, when I can play so many other better courses (The Eagles, Northdale, Crescent Oaks, Bloomingdale, The Claw at USF, etc) for $15 or less in the summertime? Until ownership/management of Rocky Point realize that they are driving actual golfers away, I will continue to drive by them on my way to/from other area courses. Oh, and when I drive by, there is usually nobody out there or just some guy wearing jeans looking for his ball near the road.

We find it in good shape with moderate difficulty

Enjoyed course close to home, very reasonable, moved along well.

Great Course for the money

Great course for the money. We were staying in Tampa over nite after being on a cruise and wanted to play a nice course at a good price. One of the other passangers over heard my conversation and recommended this course. It was everything he said and more great par 3's and the par 5's were challenging but fair. The staff was very friendly and helpful and welcome us to this course. Overall great round of golf and enjoyed the course.

Great course but needs work

The course is nice and big which is awesome. Some of the greens looked awesome but some needed some work. Biggest complaints is that there was no water out on the course on a 95 degree day. There was a lot of people walking the course and not to have water is bad. Every other course I've been to has water all over the course and it's a cheaper course. Also when we went in to the bar the water they had was warm and there was no ice. I had to ask the lady for ice and she gave attitude about it. I would like to return to this course again but only if this is fixed because it is to hot in Florida not to be hydrated.

Thursday Morning play

Course was not crowded and pace was very relaxed. Grounds were in great shape, putting green was closed due to sanding. The weather was typical Florida, HOT! Great track for a fun time. Front nine is playable by most players, back nine is a little more challenging but still moderate.

Good Value

Course conditions are fair. Fairways and rough in good shape. Greens need a lot of work. Should be stripped and redone.

Valid dates: Oct 11, 2018 - Aug 31, 2019