1 reviews

Silver 72 5802 yards 68.5 120
Scorecard for Azaleas
Gold M: 74.4/135 415 548 453 183 571 379 184 465 439 3637 529 386 456 206 378 359 175 527 475 3491 7128
Blue M: 72.1/130 385 517 412 155 545 340 158 440 403 3355 486 347 405 176 350 310 149 517 442 3182 6537
White M: 68.9/123 359 488 386 135 531 319 153 399 364 3134 456 326 376 154 312 278 141 439 403 2885 6019
Silver M: 68.5/120 318 480 378 129 510 311 147 389 338 3000 446 318 366 148 306 270 135 416 397 2802 5802
Red W: 68.6/119 275 396 311 107 387 281 115 328 280 2480 383 244 332 126 241 246 122 380 355 2429 4909

Year Built 1997
Fairways Tifway II Bermuda Grass
Greens TifEagle Grass
Architect Tom Fazio (1997) Jerry Pate (1997) Beau Welling (1997)

Fivesomes Allowed No. Only with permission.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Mississippi (2016 #7)

Great Courses-Poor Maintenance

Beautiful and great designed courses. Traps were very poor with underlying fabric showing through. Cart paths poorly maintained. Staff unfriendly and unhelpful. Lack of attention to areas away from fairways. Just overall poor maintenance to a great venue for golf. Green fees not realistic for the manicured courses that you'd expect in this price range.

Superb track

Several years ago I played The Oaks course and thought it one of the prettiest courses I'd ever played - and everyone told me The Azaleas was even better. So when traveling on the 4th and finding a tee time at The Azaleas for the astonishing price of $35, I signed up.
Am I glad I did. Now, probably because it was the afternoon of July 4th, I was about the only person on the course. This allowed me to take my time, take lots of pictures, putt again after misses, etc. The course was nothing short of spectacular. While a couple of the par 3s looked the same (long, uphill, curving right to left), I did not find the fairways unduly narrow or the rough U.S. Open-like, as some other reviewers mention.

The range is great, but I only had a chance to hit a few balls, and I didn't spend any time in the Pro Shop, either, which is why I rated them 4 stars instead of 5. Overall, though, Dancing Rabbit is spectacular. Highly, highly recommended.

I'm Done With This Course

This track is so Fazio'd out that it's unbearable. The conditioning is great, but outside that, I'm not sure it has a single redeeming quality.

The entire course is lined by trees. The fairways, for the most part, are too narrow. Even where they're not, trees often come into play off the tee (No. 1 comes to mind, as does No. 5). The greens are absurdly tricked out (see, e.g., the back-left pin position on No. 18). And the depth of the deep rough is inexplicable -- what possible value does that rough serve on a course where 99.9% of the golfers are amateurs? Is it supposed to be cool and fun when you lose your ball?

The land on which the course is built is beautiful. Unfortunately, it's laid out in a way that almost always demands a certain shot rather than giving a player options for how to attack the hole.

From here on out, I'm sticking with the Oaks course, whose green complexes are less tricked-out and whose corridors provide a little more room for strategic decisions.

Birmingham Advisor

Worth the gamble

The course is still in the transition period since switching from Bent to Bermuda greens in September. Greens were very firm, but were fast and putted true. One of the first things you'll notice is the size of the greens. Three-putt beware. I really thought the layout of the course is solid. The holes are really good and a few stand out. The par-4 third hole offers a split fairway. The pin was tucked in the back left of a green that tilts from right to left, allowing for feeding the ball to the pin, and guarded by a large bunker in front. Excellent strategy hole. The par-4 ninth hole is memorable as well. Fairway is wide off the tee, but the second shot required another precision approach to a back pin, guarded by a meandering creek. The back 9 was very enjoyable, until arriving at the 18th. This is a meaty one, playing 400+yards from the white tees, and 505 yards from the tips. Tee shot is uphill, so there is little to no roll out. The second shot plays slightly downhill, but will require nearly 200 yards with no bailout right, due to a pond. This course will continue to get better and better as the greens mature. I absolutely think the decision to do so was the correct one: bent greens in the Deep South heat is a tall task to keep them at a championship caliber. Very good practice facility. Lots to do off the course. The nearby casino offers gambling and shows. There is also a second course, the Oaks.

Great Day for a round of Golf.

The staff at Dancing Rabbit are very friendly and helpful. The course was not busy the day we play at the Oaks. This allowed us to take our time and enjoy a great round of golf. The greens were well groomed. I'm looking forward to coming back in the fall.

Oaks Course Has Some Serious Trouble on the Greens

Previous review was for the Azaleas course. Not sure why Golf Advisor has combined the reviews for these two separate courses, but hey, whatever.

This was my first trip to the Oaks course in about a year and a half, and what used to be a flawless course is really having some problems on the greens right now. On several greens (perhaps half of them), large sections of turf have been pulled up and new sod has been laid down in their place. I'm no horticulturist, but it's the middle of summer, and in all this heat, the sod clearly is not taking very well. To their credit, maintenance staffers were at pretty much all these greens spraying the sod with lots of water, but that means you have to wait for the guys to finish watering and leave the green. That was equally annoying as the unplayable sections of the putting surface. I never thought I'd be disappointed in Dancing Rabbit, but I left this round genuinely shaking my head. I'll certainly be back, but not until I'm sure enough time has passed for the greens to have come together.

Turf Issues

I wish I could give a 4.5-star rating, because it's not fair to say that this course -- even on its worst days -- is merely a "good" course. It's a gem. But it's a Golf Digest Top 100 course now, and along with that distinction comes some responsibilities -- like making sure the details are taken care of. And they just weren't.

First, the greens had been punched. I know that's unavoidable, but a little advance warning would have been appreciated so that I could have picked another day to play.

Second, a handful of greens (i.e., more than two) had spots that were just burned up. That's inexcusable on a course of this quality.

Third, every now and then you'd find a place in the fairway where the grass was just too thin. It's demoralizing to hit a good tee shot and to be punished for it by having to hit off the mud.

All that said, this is still a terrific course. The land is so beautiful that it will always be a great place to play. And the staff couldn't have been nicer. But if Dancing Rabbit is going to become a perennial Top 100 course rather than a one-and-done, then it has to mind the details.

The Course was a swamp

The course had received a lot of rain recently and was nearly unplayable. the green had drained fine however the fairways were a swamp. Probably the course should have been closed. I'm certain the course is or will be a fine place to play after it dries out which could take days. Unfortunately I had a prepaid tee time and a cancellation was not an option.

Beautiful course

Winter and a weeks worth of rain before I played took a little toll on the courses condition. Otherwise, this course is one of the best I've ever played.

best course in ms.

The seventh hole,167 yard par 3 is extremely easy------I had A HOLE IN ONE!!!!!!!

Many challenging holes

this course has many challenging holes. a very senic course

Excellent course

One of the nicest courses I've played on. Course was in excellent shape...greens were great!!! Beautiful course...breathtaking scenery all along course. Layout of the Oaks course is great!!! Played the Azalea course the last time...and loved it also!!! I love this course ...I not only recommend it, but highly encourage you to make the trip to the Dancing Rabbit !!!

Great winter value

I am from Atlanta and was in Mississippi for Thanksgiving. I usally play in Jackson but tool a chance on "The Rabbit". I now will split my golf between Jackson and Philly.

A Must Play, but book online!

I played the Azaleas course and what a treat. The layout was awesome and the course was in perfect shape. Only complaint were the bunkers, OMG the sand is softer then beach sand! They really need to do something about that, so stay away from the bunkers at all cost. But other than the bunkers, the course was in perfect shape! A must play when in the area.

Now for the BOOK ONLINE piece:
I was visiting family in Meridian and decided to drive up and check the course out. When i got there, they were having a tournament, so no T-Times until after 12:30. I was a single and asked to be paired, in which they said probably around 1:20. The Pro told me I could hit balls and practice until then, as the range already had balls setup. I hit balls for a hour then ate lunch, which was awesome! Then went to the pro shop to pay for a round. Looked like i was only gonna have time for 9 holes, so I asked for the that. I was quoted $100! I then told the guy that golf now had a full round online for $60. The pro then came out and said that was there standard rates, and he could give me 9 for $50. I pulled up golf now on my phone, and there was the $60 rounds, and I also found a $30 round at 1:40! I booked the $30 round and the pro watched it come in on his computer, so be aware and don't pay the full $100.

Challenge!!!

Elevation, hazards, over hanging trees, fast bent grass greens. What more can you add to make this course more challenging!!! Beautiful scenic layout.

Kentucky Advisor

I played this course as part of a tournament, so I don't really know what the green fees normally are. The course is a nice course, with many up hill approach shots. This will normally require you to hit an extra club and be aggressive, the greens will hold. The greens check more than any bent greens I have ever played on, maybe just a bigger blade strain. Fairways were firm, and the rough shows signs that it will go dormant in the next few weeks, but you still have some time before then.

My only complaint about the course are the bunkers. There is too much sand in them and you will get a fried egg most of the time and that will cost you several strokes.
I would come back again, but would really want to see it in the spring when the course is in the prime growing period.

Beautiful!!!!

Lots of elevation that winds through trees ovFer small creeks. Ball placement is key and distance control is must!

Best in Mississippi

Traveling out to Dancing Rabbit I recalled all of the comments people have told me about the Azalea course, “The Augusta you can play”, that’s a tall order to live up to for any course, but this course did its best. The azaleas were in full bloom and it helped frame each hole nicely. Being from Florida I don’t get to play on bent grass greens much and this put me at a complete disadvantage. You need to pay attention to the greens as you can easily three putt each one of them if you’re not careful. Great thing about this course is it shows you everything from the tee but challenges you on every shot. If you find your way to Philadelphia, MS you need to stop by for 18 or better yet 36.

Best kept secret in Mississippi

We played the course on a short 4 guy vacation. The facilities were awesome and the staff was helpful and friendly. This course somewhat mirrors Augusta with beautiful Azaleas and tall trees surrounded by pine straw. It is a tough course that utilizes every club in your bag. The greens were beautiful and the sand traps were well-manicured. Practice range and putting greens were nice. The facilities for lodging were great and for those who like a casino, that was available as well.
We have already made arrangements to return next year. This is a must play!

Philadelphia, Mississippi