Grey Rock Golf Club

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Grey Rock Golf Academy"

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Discover

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for locals advanced golfers entertaining clients   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2018

frankhaby's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2018

Gene4402214's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2018

A really good course for the money! A very long course but not an extremely difficult! Definitely recommend for any skill level!

tedever's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2018

"course imformation"

dudb's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I think GR golf is poor at course imformation. the dthers are exellent.

Response from Grey Rock Golf Club on 04/11/2018:

Hello. Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. We're so glad that you enjoyed your round. Please visit us again soon!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2018

Response from Grey Rock Golf Club on 03/14/2018:

We love to see golfers taking the time to review us. Thanks for the 4-star feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Terrible greens and staffs"

bocchun's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2018
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

I went there during a rainy cold day (40's). When arriving there were only about 10 cars in the parking lot. I checked in at the Pro shop and ask if the course is "wide open" and the staff said "no.. there are a handful of groups out there.." (that would be wide open in my opinion).. He did not give me any range ball's code as he said my tee time will be in 10mins and I won't have time to hit range ball.. I asked if there were others going off immediately after my tee time and if I could move my tee time for 10-15 mins? The staff seems annoyed and said "well.. let me check.. and he said, I'll move to to 20 mins later.. " When tee off.. there were nobody on the course.. I finished my round in 2 hours and only encountered 2 groups that let me played through. Anyway.. the green on this course are in horrible shape.. weeds growing everywhere that you can't even tell where the edge of the greens are.. there are patches of weeds growing in the middle of the green.. basically there is not a way to putt a straight line in most of the green. Some how they still think they can charge a premium $84 for weekend tee time!! This type of course (assuming the green is decent) should worth ~$40 weekend rate, just like Kizer. Very sad that the city of Austin spent the resident's money and keep this a "country club" course but decide not to maintain it.

Response from Grey Rock Golf Club on 03/10/2018:

Hello, Ray. Thank you for taking the time to review us. As we mentioned when you arrived, you booked a GolfNow HotDeal. These tee times are owned and managed by the GolfNow team. Our staff accommodated you by allowing you to move your tee time. This gave you the chance to use the range before your round. We are glad to hear the pace of play was to your liking. We had other groups playing just ahead of your time and thought it was important to not say the course was "wide open" in the event you caught up to them and had to wait on any holes. Our team prides itself on taking an honest and forthright approach to golf. We never want to mislead our visitors into thinking they will have a different experience than we expect. Your feedback about the conditions is important to us and will be escalated to the teams in charge. Your comments about the price are also valued. We partner with GolfNow and offer HotDeals to allow all of our golfers the opportunity to play more at the course. It is unfortunate to see you still rated our value 1 out of 5 even though you played for a reasonable sum. We will work to make improvements given your review and hope to see you again.

darcaya's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2018

Response from Grey Rock Golf Club on 03/10/2018:

We are glad you had a good time! Come back again soon!

"Just another COA cash cow"

Joe7956371's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/14/2018

Its such a shame that such a nice course just gets the life of it sucked out of it!! The greens rolled nice, but have been invaded by different types of grass, the course was so beat up with unmanaged entries on the holes off the paths, so many divots in the fairways not sand filled, (sand bottles on the carts were empty) the carts were so filthy, with bad brakes, broken windshields, just horrible. The two guys I got paired with were AWESOME. Really cool and fun guys. Too bad the course wasnt as cool as the company!

Response from Grey Rock Golf Club on 03/15/2018:

Hi, Joe. We are sorry to hear your round in February was not as you expected. We have been recovering from the large amounts of rain we saw during hurricane season and have returned the course back to our standard since. We encourage you to come back and enjoy another round with us. Ideally, this time you could enjoy more than just the company.

"Love the course layout, original feel"

Felix1165599's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2018

This is one of the best semi-public courses in Central Texas, great staff and overall attitude of course regulars.

Response from @GreyRockGCATX on 01/22/2018:

Hi, Felix. 4-star reviews are great to see and we are glad you enjoyed your time with us. We will work to continue to provide a memorable experience. Thanks for playing Grey Rock Golf Club, we hope to see you again soon!

"Stranded on 14th"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/30/2017

Golf cart ran out of juice and had to walk a hole with my wife until someone brought us another cart.

Response from @GreyRockGCATX on 01/02/2018:

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We apologize again that your cart died during your round. We are glad you only had to play without it for a single hole until the team could reach you with a new one. We hope you can give us a second chance to earn a 5-star review from you after you visit again. Thanks for playing Grey Rock Golf Club.

"Excellent Shape!"

mcmenapace's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/14/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

I played the course during December, so I can't really comment on the full extent of course amenities or how the course will be during the hot Texas summer. That being said, the course was in amazing shape, especially for that time of year. The greens rolled VERY true, some were even rather quick, when most other courses are letting their greens grow shaggy. Bunkers, usually not in the best shape during the fall and winter, were excellent and were kept well groomed. Fairways were nice and tight. Some of the tee boxes were overly top dressed, but this is a minor complaint.

Staff, while minimal owing to the time of year, were all friendly, welcoming and extremely helpful. I played one round at 2pm, so I only paid $44 for that round, the morning round a few days later was $64 - both rather high for that time of year, when the course was virtually empty.

If I have one complaint it's the lack of clear markings on the course. There are clear markers on all the tee boxes giving hole lengths (rather than a generic sign), so that was a plus. However, fairway markers were often hard to find, and sprinkler heads weren't readily available, so finding a true distance on approach shots, especially from off the fairway, was difficult.

That all being said, I would play the course again, and would really like to play it during the summer, when it would be in even better shape.

Response from @GreyRockGCATX on 12/26/2017:

Let us first say that we are so glad to hear you enjoyed the course conditions, greens, and staff. These are all things we work hard to create a seamless experience with so you can focus on enjoying yourself and let us do the rest. We also want to thank you for your honest and constructive criticism of the course. Your comments about our tee boxes and signage are presented in a way we can incorporate them into actual change. We are going to escalate your review to our team in charge and do everything we can to improve before your next game. Thank you for visiting and playing at Grey Rock Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon!

"Grey Rock"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2017

This course is a great challenge and top notch for your buck. Just don’t trust your GPS for this gem.

Response from @GreyRockGCATX on 12/11/2017:

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. 4-stars is great, and we will let the team know their hard work is paying off. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Grey Rock Golf Club.

"One of the best in Central Texas"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/28/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Really enjoyed the course and the amenities as well. Beautiful club house and the entire staff is very friendly. The course is in great shape from tee box to green. It is a longer course and watch out for trees! Overall one of the best course in Central Texas. I will most definitely play this course again

Response from @GreyRockGCATX on 12/05/2017:

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us 5-stars! We are going to pass on your feedback to our team, so they know their hard work is not going unnoticed. It is great to hear that the efforts we have put in helped provided a memorable and enjoyable experience for you. Thank you for playing Grey Rock Golf Club, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Greens were a minus"

HaveSticksWillTravel's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/10/2017

Nice course overall but pretty obvious that it’s seen better days. The walkways, course features, landscaping, amenities, etc were all a bit tired and in need of attention. That said, the layout was excellent with a nice mix of holes, well-groomed fairways and LOTS of bunkers. Nice, fluffy sand, too, the kind that you don’t get too angry about landing in. That was a big plus. The big minus were the greens, which were super bumpy and inconsistent. They looked fine from the fairways but up close were very disappointing. Putting was a total guessing game and no fun. I got a good deal on Golf Now and would recommend it at that price. However, I’d say that $44 (my deal) is the max they should charge until the course is in better shape.

Response from @GreyRockGCATX on 11/15/2017:

Let us first say that we are so glad to hear you enjoyed the layout, fairways, and bunkers. These are all things we work hard to create a seamless experience with so you can focus on enjoying yourself and let us do the rest. We also want to thank you for your honest and constructive criticism of the course. Your comments about our walkways, course features, and amenities are presented in a way we can incorporate them into actual change. We are going to escalate your review to our team in charge and do everything we can to improve before your next game. Thank you for visiting and playing at Grey Rock Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon!

"Great shape"

Larry6206276's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2017

I really enjoyed my round at Grey Rock the course was in great shape with fast greens fun!

Response from @GreyRockGCATX on 11/09/2017:

Hello again, Larry. We are so glad you enjoyed another round with us and left such a great review! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Good Conditions, Slow Pace"

mckeev1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/04/2017

We haven't been to Grey Rock in a while and with the round playing as slow as it did I am not sure when I will be back. Conditions were nice especially for November but the round just took too long.

Response from @GreyRockGCATX on 11/07/2017:

Welcome back! We are glad to see you were able to visit us again after leaving us such a great review in February. We apologize that the pace of play was less than ideal during your round. We have seen an increase in destination golfers as winter begins to the north and Austin starts to see cooler weather. That is no excuse and we apologize. We hope you can give us another chance. Your feedback will be escalated to our ranger team to make changes right away. Thanks for playing Grey Rock Golf Club.

"Marshal Law"

rebeccawaddell's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/04/2017

We were a party of 4 . The recommended play time is listed as 4 hours 10 minutes. We started the back nine at 2 hours into our game but had already been urged to speed up three times before we reached the 9th hole. UNACCEPTABLE! We finished our game right at 4 hours 15 minutes but marshal followed us the entire game and at one time told us that people were calling the club house. Odd as the group behind ours never had to wait to tee off. We are perplexed to say the least and will never return.

Response from @GreyRockGCATX on 11/07/2017:

Hello, Rebecca. Let us first start by apologizing for the experience you had with our ranger team. We never work to make golfers feel rushed or unwelcome at the course. With the temperatures cooling off any destinate golfers begin to visit, we are working to ensure that our standards remain through the holiday season. It is our team's job to maintain the pace of play without turning golfers away by making them feel uncomfortable. We will notify the team immediately. We hope you can give us a second chance. Thanks for playing Grey Rock Golf Club.

Commented on 02/12/2018

4:15, 5 min past time, would had been much longer if marshall was not there.

"Always a wonderful round"

CosCharlie's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2017

As usual the course conditions were fantastic, add to this the perfect fall weather and we had a day to remember. Did I mention my 2 birdies and 2 pars?

Response from @GreyRockGCATX on 11/02/2017:

Thanks for taking the time to review us 5-stars! We are glad you had a memorable and enjoyable experience. Congrats on the 2 birdies and 2 pars! See you again soon!

"Well Maintained Layout"

SteveKl's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/11/2017

Course was very well maintained from tee to green. Puts rolled true. Strategic trap locations, but not punitive. Good pace of play. Recommended.

Response from Grey Rock Golf Club on 10/16/2017: