Style Links

Formerly known as The Tradition Golf Club At Royal New Kent

Royal New Kent Golf Club

Year Built 1996
Greens Champion Bermuda Grass
Architect Mike Strantz (1996)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 11

First time playing here since they reopened, used to play here a lot about 10 years ago. Played the black tees, nervous as it was 6700 yards, more than I like but it did not feel that long. Course was in great shape, greens were hard, but rolled true and were fast if you were on the wrong side of the hole. Keep it in the short grass and you'll be fine. Some blind shots, but it wasn't that bad. First group out today, so no complaints about pace of play. Couldn't beat the $50 military rate, and we did another 18 for $25 reply. Wish I lived in the area, I would would be back in a heartbeat.

Commented on 10/18/2019

We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us 5 stars. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the pristine course conditions. We work hard to provide an exceptional experience, and it's very satisfying to hear from golfers like you who appreciate our efforts. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back Royal New Kent Golf Club!

These Greens!

Everything about the course is fun and difficult. The greens are perfect.....but there isn’t a flat putt on the course. A two putt is an accomplishment.

Commented on 10/18/2019

Thank you for your review. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at Royal New Kent Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Tough challenge

This is a very challenging course for long hitters, but beware if you go way off line. You have little chance of finding any balls in the cabbage! I played off the gold tees and really enjoyed the challenge of plotting a way around each hole.

Commented on 10/11/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review and rate us. We are glad you enjoyed playing on our golf course. We always want our golfers to have a positive experience at Royal New Kent. We hope to see you again soon!

Great!

Amazing layout that is playing firm and fast. Tees, fairways and greens are all generally in very good condition despite the recent lack of rain. Will definitely be back!

Commented on 10/07/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review us. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Royal New Kent Golf Club thanks you!

GREAT LINKS GOLF COURSE

PLAYED WITH MY GOLF GROUP OF 32 PLAYERS AND HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE. PLAYING THE WHITE TEES OR THE MEMBER TEES IS MORE THAN YOU . GREENS WERE IN GREAT SHAPE. STAFF WAS EXCEPTIONAL AS WAS THE FOOD VENUES. . WILL BE RETURNING IN NOVEMEBR.

Play It!!!

This course is incredible. Mike Strantz strikes again! Dry due to the drought, but course is still in good shape. Kudos to the groundskeepers and management. First time....I’d play it again.

Commented on 10/04/2019

We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We always want our golfers to have a positive experience at our course. We look forward to having you back at Royal New Kent Golf Club!

D C Advisor

Great Course Making a comeback

Royal New Kent by Mike Strantz is my comeback/restoration course of the year by far. Raising like a Phoenix from the ashes Royal New Kent re-opened this year and it is better than ever. Designed by the creative golf architect genius that is Mike Stantz, who also designed new favorite Tabacco Road, NC along with Caledonia and True Blue in SC. The course located outside of Richmond,VA plays like a classic grand Irish Links courses with a touch of Strantz unique vision. The course is fun and very challenging with a slope of 154. Fairways are large, conditions firm and fast and very tricky greens that require your best when approaching. The course is fun and overall visually stunning. There are often many ways to attack the hole but beware poor shots can leave you on the side or behind huge swales or in the deepest of bunkers. I estimate this course will eventually work it's way back into the top 100 public courses as it was before its closure.

Commented on 10/11/2019

Thank you giving us such an amazing review. We are glad to you had a great time at our golf course. Our team has been working relentlessly to make sure the course is perfect condition. We also hope that in the near future that Royal New Kent becomes one of the top 100 public courses in the nation. Our team looks forward to seeing you again on the first tee.

Must Play

I played this with my brother who lives in Richmond. He had played it years ago and again when it reopened recently. He told me we needed to play it. He was right. Other than getting kicked off the range because they were not ready for our 7:00am tee time everything was great.

I live about 20 minutes from Tobacco Road and have played Caledonia and True Blue. If you like Stranz you need to add this to your Must Play list and if you don't like Stranz, YOU NEED TO ADD THIS TO YOUR MUST PLAY LIST. I called my buddy who lives in Raleigh immediately afterward and told him we needed to make a trip up.

There is too much to write about each hole of the course. No forgettable holes, the greens were immaculate and good speed. There were lots of tee options so if you bring a high handicapper just make sure to pick the correct tees.

I am not exaggerating on how much fun it was to play. I took a day off before I wrote this so I wouldn't overhype it. Also, I am a 4.5 and shot 80 so I am not being biased on the course because of how I played.

Do yourself a favor and go play it.

Commented on 09/23/2019

Thank you for such an incredible review. We are glad you were able to play our course on your day off. Our team works hard to make sure that the course in immaculate condition. We hope that you book another round again soon at Royal New Kent.

Very Excited to Play this course again!

The course was in great shape, tee boxes almost perfect, plenty of sand in the bunkers and freshly raked fairways were cut tight and speedy like most TPC tour fairways greens roll true and not too fast but fast easy to get the speed down after two holes. I only got to play the front 9 due to a tournament that went off 1 hour ahead of me so at the turn the 10th tee had a group on the green a group in the fairway and a group on the ladies tee and me waiting on the tee box so that was the end of my play for the day would love to come back but will call ahead to check to make sure no tournament is going off or on schedule..

Commented on 09/20/2019

Thank you for rating us 4-stars. We are glad you thought the course was in great shape. Our team looks forward to seeing you on the course again soon!

So Much Improved

The renovation of New Kent has completely changed my mind on this course. I used to hate playing here as the bunkers were always washed out and the greens were terrible. After playing it with new grass and bunkers, it's like night and day. The greens are the same as the new ones at Pinehurst 2 and 4, and they make all the difference in the world. The greens are receptive without leaving huge craters on approach shots, and putts roll as fast and as true as any course you'll ever that doesn't host major championships. If you hit into a bunker, you can now actually play out of them without either being on hardpan or in standing water.
The course could still use some improvement. GPS on the carts would really help speed up play, especially for people who have never played the course before, and the range gets really swampy, especially compared to the rest of the course. But these are trivial concerns compared to the overall experience. New Kent has finally been set up in a way that gives credit to Mike Stanz's world-class design. It is an absolute must play.

Commented on 10/04/2019

Thank you for your kind words! Our team would be glad to know you had a great time at our course. We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Royal New Kent Golf Club.

Irish links style golf at it's best

I've been playing RNK for over 25 years. New owners have restored conditions that made it great. Greens were full, hard and a bit crusty. Rolled well with consistent speed. Fair pin placements. Tee boxes were good. Fairways were full and produce good divots. With a Sunday noon tee time, it was a surpise to see no more than a handfull of other players. I very much enjoyed the course. It's the most challenging course in the area. I hope there's enough play to sustain a wonderful course.

Commented on 09/11/2019

Thank you for rating us 5 - stars. We are glad you have been playing our golf course over the past 25 years. Our team works relentlessly to ensure the golf course is in immaculate condition all year round. We hope to see at Royal New Kent soon.

Awesome - challenging layout

Very challenging course, bring your “A” driving, short game, putting! Interesting layout, placement is the key + avoid the bunkers and missing off the fairway. Greens were slick and some were in spots that made it difficult to stop near the hole. Great value!!! Staff helpful and friendly. Definite course to play!!! Choose the right tees and enjoy.

Commented on 09/13/2019

Thank you for rating us 5-stars. We are glad you enjoyed playing on our golf course. We will let our staff know their hard work is paying off. Thank you for playing Royal New Kent and we hope to see you again.

A must play...

I found myself in Virginia with 5 hours to kill between meetings and decided to hit the links. I looked up the closest course and headed that way. Boy, am I glad I ended up at Royal Kent. This course was unbelievably fun to play. For some of the holes, I’d blindly hit my tee shot, get up to the ball, see the green and couldn’t help but smile when I saw the green placement. The layout was just so different, creative, and just so dang cool.

This was the most difficult course I’ve ever played. Mostly because of the greens. If you play, I recommend spending at least 15 minutes hitting putts on the practice green.

As far as value goes...I’m not sure there’s a better value for the golfing experience. I have never done a review on here before but my experience at Royal Kent was so great that I had to leave a review.

Now, go make a tee time and have fun three putting more times than you could imagine!

Commented on 09/03/2019

Hi there - we are so happy you enjoyed your round! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Commented on 09/03/2019

Wow, we are so happy you enjoyed your round! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

My favorite course in Virginia

I have played this course a few times now and every time I have left loving it even more. The course has been in outstanding condition no matter the weather. The course provides a fun challenge to any golfer and provides some beautiful scenery. Could not recommend this course more,

Most beautiful course in Virginia

I actually told the head guy there that lowering his rates would get more people, but the truth is even at $50 playing this course is a steal!!

Commented on 09/03/2019

Hi! Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Royal New Kent Golf Club.

RNK

Beautiful course in perfect condition! Challenging, yet makes the good shots all that much better.
Everyone will enjoy this course!

Commented on 09/03/2019

Hi there - thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Royal New Kent Golf Club.

Commented on 08/15/2019

Thank you for rating us 5-stars. We are glad you thought the course conditions were perfect. We will let our team know that their hard work is paying off. We hope to see you on the course again soon!

The course is beautiful, fairways and greens in amazing shape.

The course is in amazing shape, the fairways and greens are in great shape. A wonderful way to spend the day. Highly recommend for every golfer!

Commented on 08/14/2019

We appreciate you taking the time to review our golf course. We are glad you thought the course was in amazing shape. We hope that you book another round with us soon at Royal New Kent!

Incredible course in the heart of Virginia

First time playing this course and will definitely be back. It is among the most challenging courses I have played anywhere in the country. It is hard to believe it is just 25 minutes outside of Richmond. The entire course was in excellent condition, especially the greens—there was not a single blemish to be found and they rolled fast and true. The staff in the Proshop was friendly and knowledgeable. Make sure you follow their advice to utilize the practice green before you go out. I can’t wait to get back and play it a second time.

Commented on 09/03/2019

We're glad you enjoyed your 5-star experience with us. Please comment or reach out to our team in the golf shop to let us know more about your round!

Commented on 08/13/2019

Thank you for rating us 5-stars. We are glad you enjoyed playing our golf course. Our team works hard to ensure that the course conditions are in perfect shape. We look forward to seeing you again at Royal New Kent!

“The Blind Approach”

This was my first time playing here and will not be my last. I drove 40 mins to see only 5 cars in the parking lot. Started my round at 1500 and was finished by 1815. Bob found the best rate for an active duty service member and applied it to my round. He was adamant about hitting the putting green so that I get a feel for the green speed. I’ll be damned if I didn't hit the first four at about 8 feet out. That did not happen throughout the course though lol. Bring a cell phone GPS app so that you will have an idea on where the green location will be, trust me, you will need this. Tee boxes were so dad gum beautiful and if you hit the fairway, you will appreciate the fairway. I found nothing wrong with this course at all. You will not be hitting driver all day as this course is a shot makers course. I was pretty sad I had to enjoy such a wonderful course by myself but will be back again!!!!

Commented on 08/06/2019

Thank you for leaving us such a great review. Our team would be glad to know you thought the course was in perfect condition. We will continue to find ways to guide our golfers better through our golf course. Thank you for playing Royal New Kent and we look forward to seeing you on the course again soon!

Providence Forge, Virginia