Style Links

Member 72 5455 yards 67.9 131
Member (W) 72 5455 yards 75.2 143
Green (W) 72 4882 yards 72.1 136
Scorecard for Royal New Kent
Invicta M: 77.1/153 418 557 191 452 590 427 197 418 407 3657 584 417 221 366 344 246 476 562 463 3679 7336
Gold M: 75.7/149 396 537 176 431 576 404 186 403 379 3488 567 401 202 346 333 229 459 537 403 3477 6965
Black M: 73.7/145 378 512 160 381 541 392 173 386 337 3260 537 378 176 334 330 208 442 509 386 3300 6560
White M: 71.3/139 W: 79.3/151 364 487 156 334 526 347 157 364 311 3046 475 354 166 297 311 155 412 454 351 2975 6021
Green M: 65.4/124 W: 72.1/136 222 424 144 297 495 299 135 232 305 2553 350 285 115 241 256 115 374 406 276 2418 4971

Year Built 1996
Greens Champion Bermuda
Architect Mike Strantz (1996)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 10

Survived

This course has always been the most difficult in the central Virginia area. It has been reopened with the fastest greens going.

Very beautiful.
Very difficult.
I recommend it to anyone who is up for a challenge.

As good as the first time

I played RNK last month and enjoyed it greatly. It is a beautiful and challenging course. I played again today and again had a great experience. I can’t recommend this course more highly. If you are looking for a bland, easy course go elsewhere. If you enjoy the beauty of a well designed and superbly maintained course that presents a fair golfing challenge then this is your course. In addition, it is a GREAT value.

Thanks for the 5 stars!

Commented On 06/10/2019

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences. Thanks for reviewing us! We hope to see you again soon.

It’s back!

First time playing this course since it reopened and it did not disappoint. Course was in great condition! Make sure to practice putting because the greens are lightning fast!

Commented On 06/10/2019

We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We are happy to see that you had a good round with us! We hope to have you back in the future.

Feel Like You Own It

I have played RNK 4 times since it reopened. I was there opening day early too. I travel 60 miles to play here. Why? I love links golf and this is the best representation of that near me. I love the fact that as of now nobody has figured out RNK has reopened. I show up and go out and it's like the place is mine. I have walked 3 of the 4 rounds. It is an arduous walk. I had a trip planned for England and coming here was the best way to get prepared both physically and game shape wise. The greens are immaculate. I have played near 800 courses and most of the top 100 in the world. These greens are challenging in all the aspects...false fronts, tiers, massive slope and undulation...Firm. Fast. A Mike Stranz gem. Thank you for your diligence in reopening it with precision to original detail in the details. If you go to play RNK, bring your game....or bring a lot of balls. The edge areas are lost ball outcomes quite often. You are shown the potential right from the first hole. If you hit it straight and keep it in play...You will have fun. If you stray you will encounter lies of which you have never experienced. A ball 2 feet above or below your feet. I had one of each of those today. There will be maintenance challenges. The severe bunkering washes out. Today nearly 1/2 of the bunkers were in wash out shape. Staying on top of that will be a chore. There are at least 10 holes here which are fabulous take to the grave holes. 1,2,5,7,8,10,11,14,16. and 17 and 18 are excellent holes but not unique. All the other holes are very good holes. There isn't a weak hole out there. So unique and memorable. On one hand I love that I can just show up and pay and play and literally feel alone out there. Alternatively, Why have you not gotten out and played here yet? Shame on you.

Commented On 06/10/2019

Thank you for the feedback! We are so happy to see that you love this course and that you come and see us so often. We value the feedback from our golfers, so we thank you for your input.

Grant me a one time six star?

I played and reviewed this course in the past. If you don't know, it closed and was renovated.
Bottom line, this place is truly unique. If you've never heard of this course, or if you are from out of the area, do NOT miss this course. It's once in a lifetime experience. An unknown bucket list course. Every bit as challenging as a course you'd see on any major.
The price was a tad high....95 dollars at noon on friday.....but.....I literally did not see ONE other golfer on the course. Framed another way...I rented one of the great courses in the USA for the day for only 95 bucks. It was a three hour round. Incredible design...amazing greens (meaning undulating, two or three tiers, fast champion bermuda)........please spread the word......I wouldn't want this course as a home course, it's too tough.....but if you ever wanted to participate in a golf version of a Braveheart battle scene......play this course.

Commented On 06/10/2019

Thank you for the review, and for the 5 stars! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your round and the over all value of your round. We look forward to having you back.

Return after a long absence

I heard this place got a face lift that would return the course to its original glory. It had deteriorated over the years: particularly the bunkers and greens.
The sand in the bunkers was replaced with new usable sand which is a plus. The greens were in excellent shape and fast. They held the shots played in from the air but if you bumped them on they ran like crazy. The fairways were in good shape given that we hadn't had rain in weeks.
If you are familiar with the place, the course is a target layout. If you hit the targets you can score. If you miss the targets, bogies and doubles await. Count on a 5 hour round just based on the course.
I am disappointed that with these renovations, the price increased significantly. Without significant discounts I can't afford to play here. I guess either can anyone else because there couldn't have been more than 100 people there all day.

Commented On 05/30/2019

Hi - We would love to hear more about your positive experience at our course. Please contact us at (804) 966-7023 to share with us your favorite part of your experience with us. Thanks for golfing at Royal New Kent Golf Club!

To many Bline shots To greens and tee boxes need help

Commented On 05/29/2019

Thanks for your review! We value your input, so we will make sure to take note of this moving forward. Thank you for the 5 stars!

Spectacular

The other reviews are spot on, this is a must-play for any avid golfer and especially fellow Stranz fans. Slopes/Ratings are accurate: play the right tees for your index! Hitting fairways is not the challenge here, but hitting greens (or just getting near them) in regulation is another story - and then you have to putt. Every hole is an absolute masterpiece; I felt like it was Tobacco Road meets Erin Hills (with nods to Bethpage Black as well, albeit with much more reasonable yardages). And yes, bring an app or interactive GPS. Great staff and clubhouse and practice facilities: spend some time on putting green! Enjoy the experience and your successes - and don’t sweat your overall score.

Commented On 05/29/2019

We appreciate you leaving us with some feedback, and with 5 stars! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your day with us, and that you enjoy the course so much. We look forward to having you back!

Course knowledge needed

This course is in great shape, super fast greens. If you haven’t played here before you need to know it’s very challenging and requires gps. Choose your tee wisely. Staff was great and food is excellent.

Commented On 05/29/2019

Thanks for leaving us a review! We appreciate your 4 star rating, and we hope to have you back in the future!

Excellent course - very tough layout. I played white tees and the course “ate my lunch.” Some of the best greens I’ve putted on. Will play again.

Commented On 05/29/2019

Thank you for the 5 stars! We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review, and we look forward to seeing you again.

One of the Best Layouts in Virginia, Top 100 in the U.S.

When Royal New Kent shut down for about a year and a half, I was devastated. The golf course beat me up as a kid but I had never before played a course so good that I could forget about my score and just enjoy the place I was playing. To this day, the list of courses that I am willing to accept a bad score at because of how awesome they are is a very short one. It includes the likes of courses such as Streamsong Blue, Pikewood National, Shoreacres Golf Club, and other courses that you can find in the top 125 in the nation. As far as layout goes, I put Royal New Kent right up there with those courses. Of course, Royal New Kent can't yet compare to the conditioning and the legacy that those courses hold, but give it a few years and we may be having a different conversation. It wasn't but a decade ago that Royal New Kent was ranked as one of the top 100 courses in the nation, and that can't be forgotten. This is an amazing layout, created by a golf course architect who is widely renowned to be a revolutionary figure in his field. I don't care how many balls you lose, how many strokes you take, this golf course creates a new challenge on each hole and is one of the only courses that can keep any golfer, no matter what skill level, interested in what lies around the next corner. The greens are some of the best in the state, and while it is still rough around the edges in terms of overall course condition, you won't find better conditions in Virginia unless you want to pay an arm and a leg to get it. The fact that this course is only $95 for Prime Time on a weekend is a steal. Its little brother, Tobacco Road in North Carolina, charges up to $200 for a greens fee, and this course is just as good of a layout. Long story short, this is an amazing golf experience, one that you won't find anywhere else in Virginia. As someone who has played some of the best courses in the U.S., YOU NEED TO PLAY HERE. Losing a few balls is worth it to be a part of this experience.

Commented On 06/10/2019

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback! We are so happy to hear that you loved the course layout. We appreciate the insight from our golfers, and this was informative, helpful and a great read. We look forward to having you back in the future.

Royal New Kent: One of My Favorite Course in Virginia

This golf course has been brought back from the dead, and in my opinion it is one of the best golf course layouts in Virginia. I am a huge fan of the work of Mike Strantz as and Artist and an Architect, and having played some of his other designs such as Tobacco Road and Tot Hill Farm, I can say that Royal New Kent is some of his best work. For anybody who wants to play a golf course where on every hole you’re legitimately excited to tee it up and after each hole you’re excited to see what the next hole brings. I can’t stress enough how much fun this course is to play, even with the challenge that it presents on each hole. If you’re looking to play an amazing golf course with perfect greens, Royal New Kent is worth your time. Not only this, but compared to other Strantz designs the daily fee is way lower and is very reasonable. I would 10/10 recommend this golf course as someone who has played some of the top courses in the nation. Hopefully we see this course restored to the once great reputation is had back in the late 2000’s.

Commented On 05/29/2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with 5 stars, and a review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your round, and as well as the value of your round. We strive to provide a great experience for our golfers, so we hope to have you back!

Commented On 05/20/2019

Thank you for the 5 stars!

Terrific-

Bucket List Course: must see and play. So glad it’s back!

Commented On 05/29/2019

Thank you for the 5 stars! We are so happy that you enjoyed your round and we hope to see you back!

jfc

Better than last time but issues remain

It had rained over the weekend and the day looked bad. My wife and I were among a handful on the course. The Good : Compared to the first time the course was in better condition overall and the greens were outstanding A++. The gentleman in the pro shop was very nice. The Issues : RNK is another quirky Stranz creation that is supposed to invoke visions of Ireland. It does not. The layout seems contrived and forced. Courses in Ireland are made to walk and offer caddies. RNK offers neither one. In the absence of caddies a routing book should be standard. Although it rained a lot, I found it surprising that a modern course retained so much water. If blind shots into greens is your idea of a good layout this is for you. One last advice - If RNK is cart path only come back another time. It makes for a poor experience.

Amazing

First mine holes are better than Pinehurst and bethpage.

jfc
Commented On 05/15/2019

Like comparing apples and oranges. I would disagree on both counts

Commented On 05/14/2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the front 9! Come back and see us soon.

Providence Forge, Virginia
4.2419882353
New Kent, Virginia
Quinton, Virginia
Toano, Virginia
2.5197285714
West Point, Virginia

Valid dates: Jun 18, 2019 - Aug 31, 2019
Fling and Swing! Golf Package for 2, includes 1 round of golf for 2 daily, a resort fee applies, 50 USD resort credit per night.
Sewailo Golf Club Stay & Play Hotel Package