Style Links

Formerly known as The Tradition Golf Club At Royal New Kent

Royal New Kent Golf Club

Year Built 1996
Greens Champion Bermuda Grass
Architect Mike Strantz (1996)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 11

Absolutely wonderfull

This is a must try, great lay out of the course, very challenging and very well maintained. The information received on how to play the holes is really necessary if you play this course for the first time.
Staff was very nice, we had to wait before we could play because of frost but this gave us time to study the course and drink the coffee offered.
The course is one of the expensive ones in the area but it was absolutely worth the money.

Best course in Virginia!!

Although this course is somewhat challenging, it is one of the most beautiful I've ever played! By far the best course in the area.

Great course but...

Outstanding course, great conditions, very unique layout but to hard for the average player. I am roughly a 5-9 handicap and found my round to be more of an experience than a round of golf. There are a number of blind shots and you must always be below the hole on the greens. And you must have solid, well placed shots to score pars. A number of holes are reachable below par but those opportunities come with a ton of risk. Play here for an experience but don't stress the doubles!

nice

Amazing how nice is course was considering what time of year it is!

Commented on 02/04/2020

Hello, u356715742. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us 5 stars. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the pristine course conditions. We work hard to provide an exceptional experience, and it's very satisfying to hear from golfers like you who appreciate our efforts. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back Royal New Kent Golf Club!

Memorable Experience

We really enjoyed our time at Royal New Kent. The staff is so welcoming. The facility is beautiful, clean, and friendly. It was a terrific time for everyone. Thank you Chris and RNK staff.

Commented on 02/04/2020

Hi, nHSVVYnvxFFcDUlLCLGi. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Royal New Kent Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

11/10 Highly recommend

I've play RNK 5-6 times and each time I love it more. It is challenging, scenic, incredibly fun, and the greens are fantastic. The staff is very friendly. Some of the nicest starters I've ever spoken to. I played RNK on January 10th 2020 and was blown away at the condition of the greens and the overall shape of the course. We played the black tees, 145 slope, and it really is that tough but for whatever reason I find it impossible to get down on myself and sulk around because good shots are rewarded and each hole pushes you mentally and physically. I shot a 90 from the gold tees, 149 slope, ONCE. I felt like I shot a 72. It is my favorite course in the Richmond, VA area and if I could, I would play it every week.

Commented on 02/04/2020

We're glad you enjoyed your 5-star experience with us, mattelkas. Please comment or reach out to our team in the golf shop to let us know more about your round!

The best course in the region.

The staff is wonderful and the greens are terrific. The course layout is great, it looks like the course was just built. If you are a good player this is the place for you.

Commented on 02/04/2020

Hello, JimmieJohnson759. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us 5 stars. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the pristine course conditions. We work hard to provide an exceptional experience, and it's very satisfying to hear from golfers like you who appreciate our efforts. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back Royal New Kent Golf Club!

Commented on 02/04/2020

Hi rileyhazelwood. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Royal New Kent Golf Club!

Toughest Test of Golf around

RoyalNewKent’s new Bermuda greens are the best around and have only enhanced the playing experience of the course. This track is the toughest test of golf in the area as it has been for over 20+ years. Definitely bring your “A” game to take on this course.

Commented on 02/04/2020

u000006215315, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Royal New Kent Golf Club.

Commented on 01/03/2020

Wow, we are so happy you enjoyed your round! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Commented on 02/04/2020

We're glad you enjoyed your 5-star experience with us, wahoocdl. Please comment or reach out to our team in the golf shop to let us know more about your round!

Commented on 01/03/2020

We would love to hear more about your positive experience at our course. Please contact us at (804) 966-7023 to share with us your favorite part of your experience with us. Thanks for golfing at Royal New Kent Golf Club!

Best of the old ways

I was back in town for the holidays and after seeing the reviews for my old favorite course I had to go give it a try. We had a group of 8 and were the first ones off for the day. We were warmly welcomed when we checked in and were told a bit about the renovations. The course was in superb shape for the time of year. I had heard how great the greens were and they were just as good as everyone had described. I played this course so many times growing up but the shape it’s in now makes it play completely different, a true links course with plenty of rollout and required strategy from tee to green. The course itself isn’t overly difficult with its wide fairways and large greens, just play it smart and cut your losses if you find yourself in trouble. I really enjoyed getting to play this course again and can’t wait to give it another go next time I’m in town.

Commented on 02/04/2020

Hi cullenpittman4. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Royal New Kent Golf Club.

Commented on 02/04/2020

Hi, jwwelsh. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Royal New Kent Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

RNK Never Better

This has always been one of my favorite layouts. A friend and I watched it being built and couldn't wait to play it. That was a long time ago and it's been through a lot of owners and the course conditions have gone from great to absolutely horrible but I'm happy to say back it's back to great again. Wonderful fairways, very fast greens and pretty good bunker conditions although I was only in one. Can't say enough good things about this course and the new greens... just beautiful. Money well spent, don't pass up a chance to play this course!

Commented on 02/04/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, Greg7783000! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Royal New Kent Golf Club!

Royal New Kent - Amazing

Royal New Kent was one of my favorite courses before it closed in 2017. This was the first time I played it since it reopened in 2019. The new owners installed new Champion Bermuda Greens which are amazing. The course was in great shape which is especially surprising for December 5.
This course is one of designer Mike Stranz’s best. I could play here everyday and never get tired of this great course.

Commented on 02/04/2020

Hi, U002cjc. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Royal New Kent Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

Irish jewel

We played on a chilly and wet day. Fairways, greens and hazards were in pristine condition as compared to what I imagine about Ireland golf.

Hole number one looks like the first hole at Shadow Ridge in Palm Springs. Number two is similar to #15 at Princeville in Kauai, Hawaii. The overall layout reminds me of Pelican Hills in Newport Beach, CA. However, this course stands alone as a sheer golfing experience.

Commented on 02/04/2020

Hi FT5QC95T0ewlvwG6WrAT. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Royal New Kent Golf Club.

Commented on 12/06/2019

Maybe the best playable course in the Richmond area

I've been playing at Royal New Kent since May, and it's a challenging, yet playable treat.

The fairway are wide and receiving, and typically run out, too. Many of the approaches are blind shots to multi-leveled greens, which run fast.

However, while it is a challenging course, it's also a delight to play no matter if you're a scratch or 20 handicap. Visually it is stunning, and the staff is more than welcoming.

The Richmond area is extremely fortunate that Mike Strantz' course has come back to life .

Commented on 02/04/2020

Hi, wcpotter. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Royal New Kent Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

Commented on 12/04/2019

Commented on 02/04/2020

Hello, u000006198075. Thank you for reviewing the course. We're glad you found the pace of play during your round excellent. We work hard to accommodate everyone who visits our course and to best control pace allowing everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time. We are glad to see you also rated the course conditions and our staff to be great during your game. Thank you for playing Royal New Kent Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 11/11/2019

Thanks for leaving us a review! We're glad you enjoyed your time at Royal New Kent Golf Club and hope you'll come see us again soon.

Renovation true to Strantz' original

The late Mike Strantz designed this course to emulate an Irish course such as Portrush. I can't speak for how well it compares to the real thing, but I have always loved this course. After closing for an extended period for complete renovation, the course reopened in 2019 and I did not see any significant changes from the Strantz original, although I would have expected some. This is a typical Strantz design, what I call larger than life. Many holes appear to have little to no landing zone off the tee, only to discover there are wide landing areas. Lots of eye candy that can make you feel this is an impossible test. It actually is a course you can score one, IF you hit it reasonably straight off the tee. There is some rough that can eat your ball up, but most (not all) holes give you room to spray the ball a bit. There are tons of bunkers, many that are large and pitched, so you need to avoid those. However, the greens are huge, and the one noticeable change from the original is the conversion to bermuda greens (it looks like Champion bermuda). The putted beautifully when I played earlier this week, despite getting to that time of year in Virginia when the chilly nights are no friend to that kind of grass. This is a course you either love or hate. I love it, because of the visual interest created in every hole, the requirement to hit all of the clubs in your bag and different types of shots, and the fact that you are rewarded for good shots. It is also a course that requires some thought and care on positioning off the tee, on the green and in reading the greens. Other than my feeling that teh 8th hole should be blown up and redesigned, my main criticism of this course is more from a financial perspective. I think they could remove a ton of bunkers, or cut down the size of some, as well as the size of the greens to save in maintenance costs, yet still maintain the spirit of the original design. As example, the left 1/3 of the 11th green is unusable as a pin position, because the slope is too severe for a ball to stay in place. Perhaps they could lower their rates if they downsized some of that stuff.

I recommend this course to any golfer who is experienced, enjoys the challenge of the game, and is a 20 or better. This is not a course for beginners, in my opinion, regardless of what tee you play. I would also recommend playing it twice if this is a buddies trip to the area. Unless you have a good app with detailed course layout, your first tour around this course will include a few well struck shots that find real trouble, those "man, if I had known that was there" type of reactions.

All in all, a great experience and a must play if you are in the area.

Commented on 11/08/2019

Quinton, Virginia
Toano, Virginia
West Point, Virginia

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.