Reston National Golf Course

Year Built 1970
Architect Ed Ault (1970)

Plays Long 8

Never again

Course management was terrible. A foursome group held up the entire course and no one corrected the issue. I played with a friend and it took the two of us 3hrs to play 9 holes. Never again will I play at this course.

Good evening mtrammel,
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience on the golf course today. While we've been able to manage significant improvements in pace of play with our recent changes in tee time intervals, we do realize there may be some occasional challenges. We'd love to hear from you in person to discuss your experience. Thank you again.

Hidden Gem

Played here with my wife’s co-workers during twilight time. I did not know this course was located so close to Reston Town Center. Very well maintained, fairways is wide open with a couple blind pins and the greens is top notch with minimal blemish. The course is surrounded by residential communities which was a good break of scenery to see homeowners and their dogs walking the path which runs parallel to the cart path. After the front 9, you will circle back to the club house. Also, kudos to the facilities crew for discreetly placing a few potty jons along the course. Driving range, putting and chipping areas all included. I will definitely play here again.

Thank you Reston National Golf Course!

Hello cbeltran0002,

Thank you for your recent feedback. We are very glad you enjoyed your twilight round with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

course

course was in good shape - greens a little slow but in good condition.

Hello ArtGose,

We appreciate your comment. With many courses struggling with course conditions, we've been fortunate enough to keep ours in good shape. We hope to see you again soon.

Fun course to play

The course was in great shape. I think that Reston has a nice variety of open holes, while some are tighter with sloping fairways. Reston is famous for slow rounds, but I played on a Sunday with gorgeous weather and it took a little under 4 hours. I hear golfers complain all the time about the pace of play at Reston, but I have had more 4 hour rounds than I have 5. So, my advice is: Don't be dissuaded by the course's reputation! Prepare for a 5 hour round, but then be pleasantly surprised when its 4.5 or less.

Hello jthagan,

Thank you for your comments. We're glad you enjoyed your round with us! Our recent change to 10 minute tee time intervals has resulted in consistently quicker rounds this summer. Thank you again.

Saturday late morning round - pretty skow

Pro shop staff (Harrison) was excellent in accommodating my own tee time mistake.

Good news was we were warned before beginning that the round would be slow, and it got better after a few holes, but then slowed down again - close to 5 hours for 18.

Weather conditions have been difficult for Northern VA courses, and Reston National is suffering poor greens, tees, and fairways about the same as rest.

Hello cmaslak4golf,

We're sorry to hear of your experience. Feedback on course conditions has been very positive this season. It looks like you visited us just before our recent switch to 10 minute tee time intervals. Perhaps we can have you back out to Reston while the weather is so nice. The course is in excellent shape. Thank you.

Slow day

Even though weather turned rainy, pace of play was extremely slow.

Convenient location

This is the closest 18 hole golf course from where I live. The layout is good and not easy at all.

Nice course but SLOOOOW pace

Reston is one of the nicer public courses closest to DC, but it also one of the slowest pace courses. I played Sunday evening at 5:15 and expected to fly through solo, but only got to play 12 holes over 3 hours before it got dark. When we started, the entire first tee was open, so the spacing didn't appear to be an issue. However, starting from the 4th hole, we had to wait at every tee box with the people TWO groups ahead of us still teeing off (meaning it was a two group back-up). There were no rangers on the course at all to improve the pace of play in front of us (whichever group was holding up the course). This was not a one-off--it always happens at reston. It's a very nice course, and I enjoy the layout and length of it. It also has nice fairways and decent greens (although lots of unrepaired ball marks yesterday), but the pace is frustrating!!! (Note that I'm not an expert golfer either--I shoot about 90-95), so I'm not a scratch golfer complaining about pace of play on a public course. Most public courses in the area move along as expected for a public course, except for this one.

Hello mills014,

Thank you for the feedback from your recent visit to Reston National. We understand how important pace of play is to our golfers and take the challenge of managing it for all very seriously. We are happy to inform you that as of August 26, Reston National will be offering 10 minute tee time intervals every day! We hope to have you back out to the course soon! Thank you.

pace of play is terrible. no rain at all but still require cart path only.

Hello danny7166512,

We appreciate your feedback. We wish it weren't necessary to keep things as cart path only ever, but some conditions have required it. We are happy to let you know that as of August 26, Reston National will be offering 10 minute tee time intervals every day, in an effort to help manage the challenge of pace of play for everyone. We hope to see you again soon!

Weekday Bonus Round

The course was in great shape and pace of play was fantastic. We finished in 3.5 hours. As always, I wish my swing was working better, but had a blast playing.

Commented on 08/15/2019

Thank you for sharing your experience. We hope to see you at the golf course again soon!

Very nice

Great course, friendly staff, decent food, good] pace of play.

Commented on 08/15/2019

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your visit to Reston National and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Get it together...

We showed up on a very busy, full, afternoon with a tee time. The "starters" were teenagers. God bless them but they had NO CLUE what they were doing. Took 3 hours to play 9, made the turn to see 3 GROUPS fiddling around on the 10th hole. No Marshall, boggles the mind on such a busy day. First teen starter told us "try to stay on cart path, but use your discretion, if need be, just stay off fairways" Given pace of play, we stayed in the rough to be closer to our ball. First hole, the OTHER teenage starter drives up to me and proceeds to chastise me for not being on the cart path. As slow as play was, and we were paired with first time golfers, the beverage cart girl decides to get out and give an impromptu lesson to a woman in the twosome that was paired with us. Overall, slowest, worst managed, most UNPROFESSIONAL round of golf I've ever experienced. I will go back, HOPING this was a fluke.

PSA: No golfboards. GET IT OFF YOUR WEBSITE. WASTED TIME DOING THE WAIVER ONLINE FOR NO REASON. C'MON GUYS

A fun roung

The course was excellent. It was a rainy day and the course was wet but it drained well and just played long. The greens were in excellent shape but slow. Excellent layout and lots of beautiful mature trees. A wonderful value. Northern Virginia at it's best.

Commented on 08/15/2019

Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your round at Reston National. Please visit us again soon!

Cart path only during a heat wave?

We had a few scraper tee time during a heat wave, and we were informed that it was cart path only, because the heat hurts the grass. I don’t buy the reason , but I respected the decision and kept to the cart path.

I would have purchased coffee and a bite to eat, but the grill wasn’t open yet.

Once we got out to the course, it certainly didn’t seem dried out. In fact the greens were quite slow and some were even moist. I enjoy the layout of the course, and I've played here for years.

My cart partner got a reminder from one of the assistant greenskeepers that he needed to return to the cart path when he was in the woods opposite the fairway. Odd since the next hole a foursome was in the fairway, and the same greenskeeper turned a blind eye to it completely. I thought maybe they updated the status, but nope. Just selective enforcement of the rules.

An unfortunate aspect of this course is that the residents around it seem to resent it's presence, and actively cut through to walk dogs, jog, or whatever they want. Saw an owner with 2 dogs off leash on the path of #15..

Speaking of #15, when our group was putting out on the green, a different assistant greenskeeper drove right up and started doing donuts in the bunkers, to rake the sand. I would’ve thought that type of maintenance would begin prior to the tee times, but who knows.

The greens are in good shape, but they were really slow. The number of downhill putts our group had stop short was really something. Also, the break is never what it seems until the last 12” from the cup. It’s almost like the cups are little mounds with holes inside.

At any rate, this may have been my final visit to Reston National. The cold reception coupled with the random citizens waltzing through the course outweighs the convenience of the location, especially with Herndon just a bit further away, where they have equivalent cost, but much nicer staff and food options.

Commented on 07/24/2019

Good morning u442219779,
We are sorry to hear about some of the factors that affected your experience at Reston National recently. While our grounds crew has worked hard to keep the golf course in good condition, we do not want to have enforce cart path only rules if it isn't necessary. We are happy to discuss the need for this policy during the hottest temperatures of the year, as well as the other occurrences mentioned. We'd hate to lose you as a valued guest at Reston National. Thank you.

Valid dates: Dec 05, 2019 - Nov 01, 2020