Sidewinder at Gold Canyon Golf Resort

The Sidewinder at Gold Canyon Golf Resort slithers about the base of Dinosaur Mountain among arroyos and dry creeks. Indigenous cacti like cholla and prickly pear and trees like mesquite and palo verde feature along the testing curves that require top play. A round on the Sidewinder at Gold Canyon Golf Resort begins on the 487-yard par-5 first. It's one of four par-5s, with the others measuring over 500 yards from the gold tees; the second of these is the 523-yard sixth. The last is the 505-yard 18th, a tough way to finish, requiring a drive up the middle of the fairway, between two washes, to hit the green in two. The reward after a round on the Sidewinder at Gold Canyon Golf Resort sits in The Bar & Grill, simply named and recently redone in marble and slate, but not in such a way to remove its casual ninth-hole charm.
Blue (W) 72 5727 yards 73.7 137
Scorecard for Sidewinder
Gold M: 71.4/133 487 251 400 147 352 523 177 417 392 3146 165 511 435 375 212 424 447 319 505 3393 6539
Black M: 69.3/128 477 180 378 133 338 511 163 372 375 2927 154 499 404 364 191 414 426 294 475 3221 6148
Black/Blue M: 68.0/125 420 180 342 133 338 511 163 347 353 2787 154 499 362 364 180 394 370 294 475 3092 5879
Blue M: 66.7/120 420 160 342 127 309 444 150 347 353 2652 137 484 362 323 180 394 370 279 454 2983 5635
White M: 64.6/114 W: 70.3/124 401 140 315 115 260 414 108 296 278 2327 116 464 350 303 170 370 311 233 420 2737 5064
Silver M: 63.7/111 W: 69.5/123 378 135 300 109 257 404 108 287 280 2258 117 449 342 291 162 367 376 233 416 2753 5011
Red W: 65.8/112 344 123 237 75 210 359 95 211 245 1899 104 440 301 277 151 354 275 178 334 2414 4313

Year Built 1997
Architect Ken Kavanaugh

Pull-carts No

Pitching/Chipping Area No

Walking Allowed No
Dress code Collared shirt and bermuda shorts required. No denim.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Arizona (2014 #15)

Fun short track

Course was in great shape. Shorter than what I am used to playing. Practice range is below average. The other course has all the fun elevation changes but is also twice the cost. Was playing with my son so I chose to play Sidewinder instead. We had a great time. We will definitely come back.

Mixed Emotions

Was visiting from Chicago and decided to play Sidewinder, although I've been told that Dinosaur Mountain is the one to play here. Dinosaur Mountain was closed for overseeding. Figured for the price I got, it wouldn't disappoint. Based on the view on hole #1, I figured I had gotten the bargain of all bargains. Absolutely stunning first hole tucked on the mountainside, with the superstitions blanketing the sky past the fairway. Honestly one of the prettiest backdrops I've ever seen. The next amazing view will come at a downhill par 3 on hole #4. Break out the camera again. Holes 1 through 8 play in the canyon, so to speak, so they have a lot of character and views. The rest of the holes were just ok. Pretty mundane compared to the first 8. Feel like I could play those holes anywhere in AZ. For the price I got, along with the 76 I shot, I'd definitely come back. Hopefully I can get on Dinosaur Mountain next time as well.

Meh...

We played 36 this day on a golf trip. One round at Sidewinder, one round at Dinosaur Mountain.

Sidewinder was underwhelming relative to the other course. The layout was a bit gimmicky and short. Conditioning was great.

Overall, bad value in my opinion

Fun and challenging course!!

This course is in great condition! The views of the Superstitions are just fantastic! The GPS system is of great help so be sure to use it and you will have a lot of fun!

Fantastic greens

Greens are in amazing shape on this well designed layout.

First Time; Great Course

I've been wanting to check this course out, and booked it on their web site after seeing a decent rate on GolfNow. Usually a little too pricey for me, but getting to the time of year when deals abound.

Showed up almost an hour ahead of my tee time, and course was wide open. I was underwhelmed at first, because the facilities are a bit dated, and worn. Practice range was off mats, for some reason, even though the grass area was large and in nice shape. They said I could go when I was ready, so I hit a few balls and took off by myself. Played alone the whole time, and barely saw any o her golfers. Took my time and hit an extra ball or balls often. Pace was a non-issue.

Layout is much more scenic and interesting on the front nine, with nice views of the Superstition Mountains. Back nine is OK, but not as scenic, and a number of the holes wind tightly through tract homes.

Course conditions were excellent, with the grass in great shape throughout, and the greens receptive to approach shots. I've played too many area courses that are kind of browned-out and very hard/firm. Sidewinder was noticeably lusher and softer. Greens were in wonderful shape, and rolled fast and true. Bunkers had actual sand in them!

All in all, a nice experience and I will be back. Can't wait to try the Dinosaur course!

Fun Course!

Had a great time playing Sidewinder. More of a resort course so you will have houses on some fairways. There were some great views of the mountains and some moderate elevation changes. Overall in very good condition and a great tune up for Dinosaur Mountain

Accomodating

Made the golf now reservation Friday morning and thought it was for Friday but did not look at confirmation e-mail. Ugh, it was for Saturday Jan 16. When I got there and found the mistake I made, the two attendants at the check in said "Don't worry we will find a way to get you out without messing up other guests". Sure enough there was an opening 15 minutes after original intent and enjoyed the day and honored the price I paid. That is customer service in action.

Switched to Dinosaur and loved it.

I met Garrett at the bag drop and told him I wanted to play Dinosaur, but could only get a tee time for Sidewinder. He told me that they could get me on Dinosaur. It was my first time at Gold Canyon and a friend of mine raved about Dinosaur, so I was ecstatic to switch. The starter got me playing as soon as I was done warming up, and that was the start to a wonderful round of golf. The weather was beautiful and so was the scenery. It was sunny with no wind. The course takes you into the hills next to Dinosaur Mountain. That creates substantial elevation changes on several holes. The greens are fast so you should target the area below the hole on your approach. The fairways are wide enough to accommodate a little fade or draw. Water is in play on only one hole on the back 9. I look forward to playing this course again. I played in the afternoon and 10 deer strolled across the course after 4:30 pm. If you've never been to Gold Canyon, it's located 27 miles East of the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport off HWY 60. Merry Christmas!

Great Course to play if you get a deal

excellent course and great conditions if you can get a break on the green fees

Enjoyed my round here

Everything was great about this course, the conditions were perfect, greens were in great shape, and cant say enough good things about the conditions. Amazing Scenery, feels like your in the middle of nowhere. Recommend this course -5 STARS

Absolutely perfect

Fabulous course with fun and friendly staff. Both courses, sidewinder and dinasour are amazing.

Target golf

Considering that this was the end of the summer, this course was in very good condition. Not a long course, but don't let that fool you. You really need to play smart here. Beautiful views throughout the course. With a summer rate, this was well worth the drive.

Great Scenery

A great course nestled in the Superstitions, overall a short course that plays long and has a variety of challenges along the way. My group will definitely return again, we want to try our luck on the Dinosaur course. Only downside was that there are no water stations along the course and it was hot out.

Snake Bit!

Very nice layout! Didn't play the tips; too old for that nonsense. And because the 3-pars were on the 210 yd + side from the tips. VERY fair course from the black tees though. Enough challenges from there! Especially when the wind kicks up! Greens were in the 2nd week of healing from their recent "punching" but they putt fairly true. I liked the dog-leg variations; not a lot of "straight" holes; makes for thinking out the next shot. Very nice clubhouse and Vanessa (the Bartender) was exceptionally nice! She made hanging out for a couple of pops pleasant! Will be back! Gotta try the Dinosaur!

Front nine has some elevation changes, back nine is more technical.

The fairways and tee boxes were excellent. The greens were hard with some type of problem. Not consistent grass. Speed was excellent and the roll was fine. Bunkers were average at best. Still, for summer conditions in the desert, to play a nice course like this for essentially $40 was a great deal. (And range balls were free, too. Nice restaurant deal - 50% off all menu items.)

Very nice course

Good value. Excellent shape. Great views. Enjoyed the round, will definitely play again.

Great Day in Gold Canyon

Greens where quicker than I remember. Great morning to be out too play.

Queen Creek, Arizona