Style Desert

The Dinosaur Mountain course at Gold Canyon Golf Resort is consistently rated among Arizona's top public courses. It offers a one-of-a-kind round in the Sonora. Panoramas feature at tee boxes. There's a test of skills, traveling upwards, downwards and all around Dinosaur Mountain, with tee-green elevations changing dramatically and fairways loping long.

While playing a round on the Dinosaur Mountain course at Gold Canyon Golf Resort, note the back-to-back signature holes, the fourth and fifth.

A round on the Dinosaur Mountain course at Gold Canyon Golf Resort kicks off on the 316-yard, par-4 first, which is tougher than it appears: The fairway heads uphill, narrows and leads to a well-guarded sloping green. The par-5, 514-yard third is one of three long holes; look out for the leftward dogleg, and then, go uphill to a diminutive multilevel green. Finish on the 366-yard, par-4 18th, which features fairway bunkers left and right to keep golfers from trying to wrap up too quickly.

Year Built 1982
Greens Blue Grass
Architect Ken Kavanaugh

Pull-carts No

Pitching/Chipping Area No

Walking Allowed No
Dress code Collared shirt and bermuda shorts required. No denim.

Catering, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities, Spa

Available Sports

Fitness

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 40

Hidden Gem

Dinosaur Mtn is one of the most underrated courses in the Phoenix valley. Some of the best views and elevation change you can get from any course out here. The staff is always exceptional and truly wants you to have a good time. I would highly recommend going to try for yourself!

Great Course +100 deg

Tee boxes great
Fairways great
Traps great
Out of bounds Get a new Ball
Greens “ heat burned “ but nice shape
Thanks to halfway shop attendant

Expectations Met

I've heard a lot about this course from my buddies, when we played it last year they were reseeding and I was not impressed at all, but after yesterday I see why they loved this course so much. If you want to play a course the most amazing views this is the one for you. Paid $48, well worth it , will be back (before they reseed of course).

California Advisor

Spectacular Views

Course offers many spectacular views of the course and adjacent Superstition Mountains. The course itself is a fun layout with many elevation changes. Conditions for the most part were good, although some fairways were dry and was wondering if they were getting ready to do some maintenance. Overall a fun, moderately challenging track that I would play again.

Terrible

Have played Dinosaur for the last 7 years and always been awesome. This time it was terrible. Fairways are in awful shape.

Excellent Track!

Dinosaur Mtn course is probably one of the most underrated courses in the Phoenix Valley. Has everything you want to offer for a good desert style course- fun layout, elevation change through, scenic views, and is always in great shape. Would highly recommend to anyone coming to the area!

Cart path only

Cart oath only due to seeding of course. Still a great course to play. Greens were a slower but understandable. Still a favorite course to play in AZ. Gold card a great option for out of state players like me.

ALWAYS A FAVORITE

Dinosaur Mountain is always one of our favorites to play. Everything from the fairways to the greens were in great shape.

I'll be back!

Wife and I played this course for the first time. Her game was pretty good, mine was poor. Normally I would call this a lousy day of golf but it was far from it.

A. The customer service was exceptional from end to end. Friendly, helpful and welcoming, all staff. The Marshall spent a lot of time with us leading us up to the practice green, discussing the greens and downhill rolls (the kiss of death this day), and various holes. Wow, what personal service
B. Course conditions - exceptional, especially for this time of year
C. The course - We were alone so we had no one who knew the course with us. This would have been a boon as the ups and downs, and especially the sideways fairways, all need shots placed in the correct spots. I would play it very differently a second time, and no doubt score increasingly better all of the first 5 or 6 rounds. Challenging but very fair, every hole unique. Plenty of elevated tee to green shots, as well as some uphill fairways that will fool you (hit at least one more club).

All in all, an excellent golf course with a PRIMO staff with scenery that makes your eyes pop

Great Course!

My third time to play the Dino Course and it didn't disappoint. Very, very windy most of the day, but my group played the blue tees which made the wind tolerable. If you don't hit the fairway, you'll be in for a loooooong day. I'll be back to play the course again. Love it.

Course is amazing

I love this course cause it’s always in pure shape and the course is challenging and fun with elevation changes and pretty environment . Great target course and staff is amazing too! Overall one of my favorite courses in town and it’s worth every second out there

Stunning

Unbelievable views, attentive and friendly staff and one of the most unique golf experiences you will have. If you are close to a scratch I would strongly urge you to play the tips. Higher elevations and better views mixed with more fun shots on almost every hole. Always a better price than I feel it’s worth compared to the Scottsdale courses. Also, best bev cart Bloody Mary situation I’ve encountered in a long time!

Great golf course, but.........

I have played here a lot. Always a great course, but no sand in bunkers yesterday, very disappointing. Also wanted to play more, they wanted 80 bucks and we could have maybe played another 9 holes. The grill is overpriced with below average food. The course is nice, the resort not so much.

Wisconsin Advisor

Textbook AZ Golf

If you want the full AZ golf experience, you need to play this golf course.

During my recent trip, this course gives you everything you want in regards to scenery, challenge and fun. With Superstitious Mountain as a backdrop, the elevation changes make for some daunting and fun golf holes. Luckily we played with some locals who gave us great tips on how to play the course. From the Black tees which are not terribly long (6300 yard) there is plenty of challenge to negate any notion of the course playing shorter.
From the pictures, you can see that they stopped watering to prepare for overseeding which took the green color away but did not take away the views and the fun. The 1st two par 3's have dramatic elevation drops and views make you take in the beauty and also grab your attention as club selection is key to finding the green. One of the best holes is the par 4 15th. The tee is very elevated and players have two options, play it safe to the right with a 200 yard downhill shot, or go for it with the driver to the left with a chance to drive the green. It's a hole you wish you could play three times in a row.
The greens were rolling good but full of sand and the fairways were firm and dry but still did not take away from the experience. I would most definitely go back when the course is in peak condition. If it was in peak condition, it would get 5 stars

Great staff and you can tell they know what they are doing. I will be back

Great Course and Friendly Staff

Only the 2nd time playing this course and we love it! Conditioning was excellent. Fairways, tee boxes and rough in excellent shape even though it has been a difficult summer of weather. Greens were good but still showed a little evidence of last aeration. Rolled fairly true though. Sand traps a bit rocky but maintenance staff was grooming them the day we played. Views/scenery fantastic (Superstition Mountains). Staff was attentive and VERY friendly. Greeted immediately on arrival and cart girl available almost every few holes. Saw Ranger several times as well. Add this course to your must-play list.

This course needs friendlier employees

First thing I noticed was the rather unfriendly employees when we checked in both at the counter and putting our bags on the cart. It was the attitude that "we are doing you a favor by letting you play OUR COURSE". Then we went to mats to hit terrible range balls. When we got to the tee, a ranger asked handicaps and rudely told us what tees to play. I finally told him we would play the tees we wanted. He acted as this was some super course and we should not consider the distance when deciding which tees to play. I have played several courses harder than this one. Then we get on the course and find there is no water. We never saw a cart girl til hole 15. It was probably 112 by the time we finished. The course has some pretty holes. The greens were not great. The condition of the course was average at best. When we finished we ran into the same people with the carts again. Not a word. No "How did it go?" No "how did you hit Em?" NOTHING I guess we were supposed to consider ourselves lucky they let us play. I would play it again if someone I was playing with wanted to, but it would never be my choice. There are several nicer courses and certainly more friendly courses.

Commented on 08/11/2017

Absolutely mirrored an experience I had there 5 years ago. I would sooner walk over broken glass that was on fire than ever tee it up at Gold Canyon EVER again, And I have repeated my experience to EACH AND EVERY golfer I meet who is visiting in an effort to prevent them from having a similar experience.

Not worth it

I have played the course a couple times. For $224 you get to warm up hitting off mats in the middle of the concrete cart parking area. The greens are super fast and at times more like mini golf, just add the clowns mouth..... a golfer should not be penalized for hitting an approach into the middle of the green. I will not play the Dinosaur Mountain course again.

Commented on 08/31/2017

Entirely agree. By the way, check out ALL of the "thumbs down" hits on each and every negative review. As well, check out some of the older RESPONSES FROM THE CLUB. Just stunning: A slew of mea culpas along with pure condescension. Toka Sticks offers a better experience...

#1???????

I find it hard to believe this course is ranked #1. Greens are tricked up, hit a SW to the front edge and roll of the back with NO Chance of keeping your chip on the green!?? Parking lot sets the tone! Practice MATS! Played @ 11:20 on a Saturday only to find out we were behind a scramble tournament!! 5 1/2 hrs later we finished! Not even a thank you for your patience let alone an apology for the slow play. Definite STAY AWAY!!!!

Beautiful Spot

Golf course is beautiful. Amazing views and true desert feel.

Course not long, but plays challenging. Some top notch holes

Apache Junction, Arizona