Dinosaur Mountain at Gold Canyon Golf Resort

Staff Friendliness

The Dinosaur Mountain course at Gold Canyon Golf Resort is consistently rated among Arizona's top public courses. It offers a one-of-a-kind round in the Sonora. Panoramas feature at tee boxes. There's a test of skills, traveling upwards, downwards and all around Dinosaur Mountain, with tee-green elevations changing dramatically and fairways loping long. While playing a round on the Dinosaur Mountain course at Gold Canyon Golf Resort, note the back-to-back signature holes, the fourth and fifth. A round on the Dinosaur Mountain course at Gold Canyon Golf Resort kicks off on the 316-yard, par-4 first, which is tougher than it appears: The fairway heads uphill, narrows and leads to a well-guarded sloping green. The par-5, 514-yard third is one of three long holes; look out for the leftward dogleg, and then, go uphill to a diminutive multilevel green. Finish on the 366-yard, par-4 18th, which features fairway bunkers left and right to keep golfers from trying to wrap up too quickly.
Blue (W) 72 5833 yards 73.7 138
Scorecard for Dinosaur Mountain
Gold M: 71.5/144 316 197 514 467 236 451 439 203 542 3365 170 543 448 454 226 378 535 168 366 3288 6653
Black M: 69.5/136 305 188 495 452 223 435 419 191 535 3243 152 517 427 420 201 365 510 148 339 3079 6322
Black/Blue M: 68.1/131 305 174 495 408 223 435 355 148 535 3078 152 463 381 384 179 365 464 148 339 2875 5953
Blue M: 66.9/124 300 174 465 408 199 409 355 148 514 2972 142 463 381 384 179 354 464 138 319 2824 5796
Blue/White M: 65.8/121 300 150 418 372 199 378 355 148 490 2810 142 463 346 343 143 354 436 138 319 2684 5494
White M: 65.0/116 W: 71.1/128 271 150 418 372 170 378 335 130 490 2714 136 453 346 343 143 340 436 116 310 2623 5337
Silver M: 64.1/114 W: 69.7/125 259 143 418 330 165 372 341 130 459 2617 129 421 347 331 141 331 410 116 301 2527 5144
Red W: 67.2/119 231 115 402 321 111 345 274 113 441 2353 121 412 324 321 125 328 410 97 302 2440 4793

Year Built 1982
Greens Blue Grass
Architect Ken Kavanaugh

Pull-carts No

Pitching/Chipping Area No

Walking Allowed No
Dress code Collared shirt and bermuda shorts required. No denim.

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 40

ALWAYS A FAVORITE

Dinosaur Mountain is always one of our favorites to play. Everything from the fairways to the greens were in great shape.

I'll be back!

Wife and I played this course for the first time. Her game was pretty good, mine was poor. Normally I would call this a lousy day of golf but it was far from it. A. The customer service was exceptional from end to end. Friendly, helpful and welcoming, all staff. The Marshall spent a lot of time with us leading us up to the practice green, discussing the greens and downhill rolls (the kiss of death this day), and various holes. Wow, what personal service B. Course conditions - exceptional, especially for this time of year C. The course - We were alone so we had no one who knew the course with us. This would have been a boon as the ups and downs, and especially the sideways fairways, all need shots placed in the correct spots. I would play it very differently a second time, and no doubt score increasingly better all of the first 5 or 6 rounds. Challenging but very fair, every hole unique. Plenty of elevated tee to green shots, as well as some uphill fairways that will fool you (hit at least one more club). All in all, an excellent golf course with a PRIMO staff with scenery that makes your eyes pop

Great Course!

My third time to play the Dino Course and it didn't disappoint. Very, very windy most of the day, but my group played the blue tees which made the wind tolerable. If you don't hit the fairway, you'll be in for a loooooong day. I'll be back to play the course again. Love it.
Value for the Money Good

Course is amazing

I love this course cause it’s always in pure shape and the course is challenging and fun with elevation changes and pretty environment . Great target course and staff is amazing too! Overall one of my favorite courses in town and it’s worth every second out there

Stunning

Unbelievable views, attentive and friendly staff and one of the most unique golf experiences you will have. If you are close to a scratch I would strongly urge you to play the tips. Higher elevations and better views mixed with more fun shots on almost every hole. Always a better price than I feel it’s worth compared to the Scottsdale courses. Also, best bev cart Bloody Mary situation I’ve encountered in a long time!
Course Layout Excellent

Great golf course, but.........

I have played here a lot. Always a great course, but no sand in bunkers yesterday, very disappointing. Also wanted to play more, they wanted 80 bucks and we could have maybe played another 9 holes. The grill is overpriced with below average food. The course is nice, the resort not so much.
Value for the Money Average
Course Layout Good
Wisconsin Advisor

Textbook AZ Golf

If you want the full AZ golf experience, you need to play this golf course. During my recent trip, this course gives you everything you want in regards to scenery, challenge and fun. With Superstitious Mountain as a backdrop, the elevation changes make for some daunting and fun golf holes. Luckily we played with some locals who gave us great tips on how to play the course. From the Black tees which are not terribly long (6300 yard) there is plenty of challenge to negate any notion of the course playing shorter. From the pictures, you can see that they stopped watering to prepare for overseeding which took the green color away but did not take away the views and the fun. The 1st two par 3's have dramatic elevation drops and views make you take in the beauty and also grab your attention as club selection is key to finding the green. One of the best holes is the par 4 15th. The tee is very elevated and players have two options, play it safe to the right with a 200 yard downhill shot, or go for it with the driver to the left with a chance to drive the green. It's a hole you wish you could play three times in a row. The greens were rolling good but full of sand and the fairways were firm and dry but still did not take away from the experience. I would most definitely go back when the course is in peak condition. If it was in peak condition, it would get 5 stars Great staff and you can tell they know what they are doing. I will be back
Course Conditions Average

Great Course and Friendly Staff

Only the 2nd time playing this course and we love it! Conditioning was excellent. Fairways, tee boxes and rough in excellent shape even though it has been a difficult summer of weather. Greens were good but still showed a little evidence of last aeration. Rolled fairly true though. Sand traps a bit rocky but maintenance staff was grooming them the day we played. Views/scenery fantastic (Superstition Mountains). Staff was attentive and VERY friendly. Greeted immediately on arrival and cart girl available almost every few holes. Saw Ranger several times as well. Add this course to your must-play list.
Off-course amenities Average
Course Layout Excellent

This course needs friendlier employees

First thing I noticed was the rather unfriendly employees when we checked in both at the counter and putting our bags on the cart. It was the attitude that "we are doing you a favor by letting you play OUR COURSE". Then we went to mats to hit terrible range balls. When we got to the tee, a ranger asked handicaps and rudely told us what tees to play. I finally told him we would play the tees we wanted. He acted as this was some super course and we should not consider the distance when deciding which tees to play. I have played several courses harder than this one. Then we get on the course and find there is no water. We never saw a cart girl til hole 15. It was probably 112 by the time we finished. The course has some pretty holes. The greens were not great. The condition of the course was average at best. When we finished we ran into the same people with the carts again. Not a word. No "How did it go?" No "how did you hit Em?" NOTHING I guess we were supposed to consider ourselves lucky they let us play. I would play it again if someone I was playing with wanted to, but it would never be my choice. There are several nicer courses and certainly more friendly courses.
Staff Friendliness Poor
Off-course amenities Fair
Course Conditions Fair
Value for the Money Average
Course Layout Average
caknox1
Commented On 08/11/2017
Absolutely mirrored an experience I had there 5 years ago. I would sooner walk over broken glass that was on fire than ever tee it up at Gold Canyon EVER again, And I have repeated my experience to EACH AND EVERY golfer I meet who is visiting in an effort to prevent them from having a similar experience.

Not worth it

I have played the course a couple times. For $224 you get to warm up hitting off mats in the middle of the concrete cart parking area. The greens are super fast and at times more like mini golf, just add the clowns mouth..... a golfer should not be penalized for hitting an approach into the middle of the green. I will not play the Dinosaur Mountain course again.
Pace of Play Fair
Off-course amenities Fair
Course Conditions Average
Value for the Money Poor
Course Layout Poor
caknox1
Commented On 09/01/2017
Entirely agree. By the way, check out ALL of the "thumbs down" hits on each and every negative review. As well, check out some of the older RESPONSES FROM THE CLUB. Just stunning: A slew of mea culpas along with pure condescension. Toka Sticks offers a better experience...

Valid dates: Aug 13, 2018 - Dec 31, 2019