Dinosaur Mountain at Gold Canyon Golf Resort

Caddies: No
GPS: Yes

Pitching/chipping area: No

Walking allowed: No
Dress code: Collared shirt and bermuda shorts required. No denim.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Blue (W) 72 5833 yards 73.7 138

Location is worth the drive at a resort convenient to the city   Great for wildlife/ scenic views a bucket list/top 100 pick advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes undulating greens bunkers   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Textbook AZ Golf"

polishpal's avatar
Wisconsin Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/06/2017

If you want the full AZ golf experience, you need to play this golf course.

During my recent trip, this course gives you everything you want in regards to scenery, challenge and fun. With Superstitious Mountain as a backdrop, the elevation changes make for some daunting and fun golf holes. Luckily we played with some locals who gave us great tips on how to play the course. From the Black tees which are not terribly long (6300 yard) there is plenty of challenge to negate any notion of the course playing shorter.

From the pictures, you can see that they stopped watering to prepare for overseeding which took the green color away but did not take away the views and the fun. The 1st two par 3's have dramatic elevation drops and views make you take in the beauty and also grab your attention as club selection is key to finding the green. One of the best holes is the par 4 15th. The tee is very elevated and players have two options, play it safe to the right with a 200 yard downhill shot, or go for it with the driver to the left with a chance to drive the green. It's a hole you wish you could play three times in a row.

The greens were rolling good but full of sand and the fairways were firm and dry but still did not take away from the experience. I would most definitely go back when the course is in peak condition. If it was in peak condition, it would get 5 stars

Great staff and you can tell they know what they are doing. I will be back

"Great Course and Friendly Staff"

tucsonsteve's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Only the 2nd time playing this course and we love it! Conditioning was excellent. Fairways, tee boxes and rough in excellent shape even though it has been a difficult summer of weather. Greens were good but still showed a little evidence of last aeration. Rolled fairly true though. Sand traps a bit rocky but maintenance staff was grooming them the day we played. Views/scenery fantastic (Superstition Mountains). Staff was attentive and VERY friendly. Greeted immediately on arrival and cart girl available almost every few holes. Saw Ranger several times as well. Add this course to your must-play list.

"This course needs friendlier employees"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2017

First thing I noticed was the rather unfriendly employees when we checked in both at the counter and putting our bags on the cart. It was the attitude that "we are doing you a favor by letting you play OUR COURSE". Then we went to mats to hit terrible range balls. When we got to the tee, a ranger asked handicaps and rudely told us what tees to play. I finally told him we would play the tees we wanted. He acted as this was some super course and we should not consider the distance when deciding which tees to play. I have played several courses harder than this one. Then we get on the course and find there is no water. We never saw a cart girl til hole 15. It was probably 112 by the time we finished. The course has some pretty holes. The greens were not great. The condition of the course was average at best. When we finished we ran into the same people with the carts again. Not a word. No "How did it go?" No "how did you hit Em?" NOTHING I guess we were supposed to consider ourselves lucky they let us play. I would play it again if someone I was playing with wanted to, but it would never be my choice. There are several nicer courses and certainly more friendly courses.

Commented on 08/11/2017

Absolutely mirrored an experience I had there 5 years ago. I would sooner walk over broken glass that was on fire than ever tee it up at Gold Canyon EVER again, And I have repeated my experience to EACH AND EVERY golfer I meet who is visiting in an effort to prevent them from having a similar experience.

"Not worth it"

TroyStutz's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2017

I have played the course a couple times. For $224 you get to warm up hitting off mats in the middle of the concrete cart parking area. The greens are super fast and at times more like mini golf, just add the clowns mouth..... a golfer should not be penalized for hitting an approach into the middle of the green. I will not play the Dinosaur Mountain course again.

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 09/01/2017

Entirely agree. By the way, check out ALL of the "thumbs down" hits on each and every negative review. As well, check out some of the older RESPONSES FROM THE CLUB. Just stunning: A slew of mea culpas along with pure condescension. Toka Sticks offers a better experience...

"#1???????"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2017

I find it hard to believe this course is ranked #1. Greens are tricked up, hit a SW to the front edge and roll of the back with NO Chance of keeping your chip on the green!?? Parking lot sets the tone! Practice MATS! Played @ 11:20 on a Saturday only to find out we were behind a scramble tournament!! 5 1/2 hrs later we finished! Not even a thank you for your patience let alone an apology for the slow play. Definite STAY AWAY!!!!

"Beautiful Spot"

SlowLefty's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/28/2017

Golf course is beautiful. Amazing views and true desert feel.

Course not long, but plays challenging. Some top notch holes

"The course is very forgiving"

Tom4223715's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2016

Beautiful views friendly and helpful staff

"Gold Canyon: Golf's Version of Iron Maiden"

caknox1's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2016
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Better stated? RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!

I first came upon the Gold Canyon Golf Resort when I played an event there as part of the the Western Skies Mini-Tour (a true "something out of a Dan Jenkins/David Feherty alcohol-induced phantasm" that passed as a tour AND a golf course) in the late 1980's. The original track at Gold Canyon opened in 1985 and then they added another nine soon after. Ken Kavanaugh had a hand in these, although I'm not sure if all 36 are his to own (his bio: great track at Oregon Golf Club, and terrific redos of Raveneaux in Houston and Randolph South - Del Urich - in Tucson show off his capabilities, well). When they put the Dinosaur Mountain and Sidewinder Courses together, they did some Frankenstein-esque gene splicing of the old into the new. Holes 1 through 4 and 14 through 18 on DM are from the original design, very tight and immediately forgettable, reminiscent of holes like you would hope not to see at Ancala or Tatum Ranch. Holes 5 through 13 certainly have more character and are, for the most part, quite good. Interestingly, once you get to the 13th and 14th holes, if you look just to the northwest, you can see holes 13 and 14 of the Lost Gold course at Superstition Mountain. You can take solace in the fact that real golf courses with proper staff and amenities DO exist, just over THERE>>> Back to the Asylum: The abject schizophrenia that attaches to how the courses were built has penetrated the rest of the facility. Let me, please, give you a rundown:

First, read the review dated 6/20/2017. This review could pass as my exact experience from a few years before. So, onto the the flyover tour of the course/experience! (Which, for both the DM and Sidewinder courses, you cannot get from their website because they are inoperative. Brilliant!!) Upon driving up, we are met by some of the worst Outside Service staff I have ever witnessed. Surly, unhelpful, uncaring and just downright miserable. Check-in was uneventful. Huge fee raise for Dasani water in 16 oz bottles = $ 3.50 per bottle. Driving range = off of mats with golf balls that haven't been thought about being round for many moons. One positive in this: Look for brands that haven't been manufactured in years. It's fun!! Hey look, there's a Maxfli DDH that is actually flat on one side. Wow, a Molitor that STILL hasn't lost any compression at all and still feels like a rock! A Strata?? A Strata?Really???

Course conditions were passable for the summer. Greens were good, rolling at decent pace and held their lines well. Service? One of my buddies ordered a sandwich on number 4... and we never saw the beverage cart again until 15. AND there was absolutely NO WATER on the golf course, at all. No coolers, etc. This was a summer day where the temps were in the 105 range. By the time we saw the bev cart again, we were completely done. The girl driving was apologetic, stating that she never saw us on the back nine until then. The reason why was that she had bypassed a good chunk of the back side earlier because of the cart path routing (letting her skip multiple holes) and that she just wasn't paying attention to see if any players were on those holes she was about to skip. She did, however, offer my buddy the tuna sandwich he had ordered two hours earlier that had just spent time soaking in the late afternoon summer heat and sun of Apache Junction. He politely declined her offer.

But the pièce de résistance came after we finished and went into the clubhouse to complain about the experience. The guys I played with are all the type who just wanted to go and never come back. I understood that, but having worked in the game for a dozen years, professionally, I felt the staff should know that this was what they were offering up to the players unfortunate enough to expect something different. I found the First Assistant and began to describe the day. He stared at me blankly, like I was just wasting his time. I stopped. And then I asked him just that: "Am I boring you?" His response, verbatim: "Just what do you expect me to do about it?" I turned around, walked out, jumped in the car and have never been back since.

But what I have done is recount this story to HUNDREDS of people, golfers and non-golfers alike. It is the epitomization of every possible negative that can occur within the customer experience realm that exists in a hyper-competitive marketplace. And what is truly mind-blowing about this is the fact that the experience documented on 6-20-17 is the mirror image of one five years earlier. No bueno.

"What a Layout....."

HDPHXGolfer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2016
First time playing Used cart Excellent weather

Made the long drive out to Dinosaur Mountain and was very happy I did. This course zoomed up my list of great courses here in the Phoenix area. Layout and views are awesome. Course conditions were very good for summer. Greens were a little dry and coming out of airation but putted nicely. This course is a must play for anyone wanting a great view on the course. Only down side was the driving range (mat only)

Played the Sidewinder as well. That course while a nice course is not even in the same league as the Dinosaur.....

"Best I played all week !"

Greg4939533's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2016

This was my 7th round this week. I played 6 other courses in the area. This was the BEST conditions all round GREAT golf course. The whole staff was most welcoming to me . I played as a single. Played Sidewinder in 2 1/2 hours. I had to play more at this great resort. Awesome views at every turn . This was fun to play. Take photos of your special round . You will dream about this course ! My thanks to the grounds crew, golf shop staff and Garett the cart attendant . All made this 36 hole day most memorable

Vacation. Play this course before you die ! If you don't get into heaven, you will remember this golf course.

"This course is amazing"

Jacob3536516's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2016

As always the course played very difficult.

It was in superior condition

I would recommend playing Dinosaur Mountain

You will not be disappointed with the course however you probably will be with your score.

"Dino Gold"

BloodyMaryGolfr's avatar
Iowa Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

A short business trip brought me to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, and after extensive research I chose to play Dinosaur Mountain at Gold Canyon. I booked online at GolfNow for $50.

I arrived at the course and immediately took note of the first class facility with valet parking, bag check and excellent club house. I checked in and grabbed a bloody mary to go. The bloody mary was good but nothing special, but it did hit the spot in the 100 degree heat.

I headed to the starter who already had my bag on the cart and ready to go. He advised I could use the range and head out whenever I was ready. The cart included GPS, a cooler and club/ball washer. The cooler was important as there is no water provided on the course.

I hit the range for a few warm up shots. The range was ok and utilized well worn mats. It would have been nice to hit off of grass or a better mat, but it was good enough for a quick warm up.

I then headed for the number one tee box and was immediately impressed. The slightly elevated tee box surrounded by mountains provided a spectacular view. These types of views were found on nearly all eighteen holes and made the round extremely enjoyable.

The fairways at Dinosaur Mountain were perfect. Lush, green and so well maintained was impressive for a desert/mountain course.

Greens here were very fast and firm. It was difficult at times to hold the green and putting was extremely difficult. That being said they were in good shape and offered much undulation.

While playing I only hit a few bunkers. When I was in the bunker, they were a bit firm and were filled with what I would call desert dirt. After hitting my shot and raking, some of the dirt was clumped together.

All in all, this course a ton of fun and a must play if you’re in the area. The spectacular views, the fun elevation changes, and excellent playing surface will not leave you disappointed. I highly recommend this track and would love to play it again it I ever get the chance.

"Excellent course!!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2016

Same type of Mountain course as Troon north. Great layout. Half the price.

Great elevations.

"GOLD Canyon"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Great course, amazing views, course in extremely good condition, friendly staff.

This is one of the "must" plays in the greater Phoenix area.

"Rock hard greens"

second50's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2016
Previously played Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Course is in excellent condition. Only issue is that the greens are rock hard and much too fast if you consider how much slope there is on these greens. Impossible to get anywhere near a front pin. Played here last week and saw the same condition, played early today thinking the greens would be softer , not the case.

"Most beautiful course in AZ!"

rvanacker's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2016

This is the most beautiful course I have ever played in AZ! It is located at the base of the Superstition Mountains, so lots of scenery!

"Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful"

Jhawkerman's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Gold Canyon Dinosaur Mountain Course. If you enjoy great views this course is a must play. Bring your camera and do forget your patience. This is not a short course. You need to remember it's a par 70 with 6 par 3's. The original back 9 ( holes 1,2,3,4,14,15,16, 17 and 18 ) the greens are smaller and more undulating. On almost every one of the original holes long is bad so watch your GPS for pin position carefully. In the late 90's Gold Canyon built the rest of the Dinosaur Mountain holes 5 thru 13. Larger greens and less undulation. This is a course you will want to play more then once. Getting a feel of the greens will improve your score dramatically. Plus the true beauty of the area is worth the extra round.

"Wonderful Mountain Course"

SgtBocaBob's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I last played this course in 1988. It has not lost a step since then. The course was in magnificent condition. The greens were quick and undulated. The vista's were spectacular. It is everything Arizona Mountain golf should be. Great public course.

"Excellent Course"

Jakeb385's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/08/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

First time playing Dinosaur Mountain and this is one of my favorite courses I have played. Lots of Elevation changes and great views. If you play from the right tees the course is a lot of fun and you can shoot decent scores. The one downside I have for Gold Canyon is that their Driving Range needs an update. For the prices that you pay for Dinosaur Mountain hitting off an artificial mat is unacceptable. All in all though I really enjoyed the course and would play again.

"Finally got to play!"

Jesse8262809's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/14/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Finally decided to put some money down. It was "only" $95 which is a good rate for January. Got paired up with a couple who have played it a lot and they were essential for having a good round there. The greens are CRAZY to read. I 3 and 4 putted so many times and loved it. Defiinitely nothign like I ever faced. They had so many cool views and options to hit over. Only negative I have was the replay rate was $80. What kind of discount is that? :( I will be back again in the summer.