Club West Golf Club

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: Yes

Dress code: Collared shirt, no cutoffs, denim ok.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Championship 72 7142 yards 73.1 129
Middle 72 6537 yards 70.0 118
Other 72 6200 yards 68.6 115
Forward (W) 72 4985 yards 67.0 107

The Club West Golf Club offers 18 holes on a Brian Whitcomb-designed golf course that was originally built in 1993 and measures 7,142 yards from the championship tees on a par-72 golf course.

Club West Golf Club claims the 17th as its signature hole. It features double-greens, tees elevated 100 feet above the course and vistas of South Mountain and of the Estrella Mountain Range; players ought to pick the green they desire and then check the yardage. If the wind isn't blowing you back, pick one less club than usual, aim right and swing smoothly.

After the round, head over to the Club West Golf Club's clubhouse, which is the gorgeous home of the Lakeside Grille, which serves breakfast and lunch inside the stunning dining room or on a spacious patio featuring a fireplace and lake view.

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers forced carries   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"Getting Better all the Time"

Jbraunger's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Course conditions are better under new ownership. Staff really makes an effort to accommodate.

"Save Your Money Folks"

Bob8753620's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2018

Based on our recent experience, Club West is struggling to survive. No Pro Shop, no one to greet you when you arrive, lacking carts and they even managed to allow a five-some to play in front of us on the back nine. Course conditions were marginal at best. Too bad because the course has terrific bones. Lots of better managed courses to play in the area.

"Still disappointed"

clawman's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Course is still much in need of attention. Considering green were dead a few months ago they are now half way reasonable. Still a long way to go to being considered good. They need a clubhouse rather than a starter shack up by the first tee. Restaurant was good though.

"Disappointed"

djteacher's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2018

We got to Club West about 45 min. before tee time booked for 1:51 pm. As soon as we drove up we noticed there were no golf carts and at least 20 golfers standing around. We were first told we did not have a tee time. Then we were told it was at 2 pm. I have noticed that if you book with GolfNow you can get bumped. We were told to go in the restaurant and eat while we waited. Not what we came there for. After waiting for over an hour, we talked to starter and he said he could not tell us our tee off time which was passed the time. He did tell us that there wasn't enough carts for all the golfers to tee off. So we decided to to cancel there and left. By this time it was after 2:30. We knew that we would not get to finish 18 holes before sunset. They told us that we had to pay for 18 no matter what.. Such a disappointment. I really like this course. Not sure we will go back.

"Great Deal"

golftimber41249's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2018

I was fortunate to join a threesome who are residents in the neighbourhood. They explained the course was at one time a must play. The previous ownership, due to financial reasons, neglected the course and it literally died. With new ownership and a lot of money being invested, it appears thie course is on its way back. Dependent on the tees that you play, this course plays to all abilities. It has a lot of elevation changes with elevated tee boxes and greens. Although it is situated within a residential area, we were rarely concerned about errant drives due to reasonable spacing between fairways and houses. For the money, this is a really good deal. I didn’t try the club house amenities, so unable to comment. I will definitely come back.

"Very nice layout"

Frenchbull's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2018

Course was in fair condition and really a nice design with many well defined fairway’s. Really disappointed that there is no clubhouse or pro shop to speak of.

"Club West is back"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/11/2018

The course has experienced a renewal with new ownership who do crazy stuff ... like water the grass!!

We had written the course off because of maintenance and were pleasantly surprised by the conditions.

The staff was happy to have new owners and stated the course care has done a 360!

Pace was perfect ... right at 4hrs... only slight waits at some holes.

PLUS I had my best round ever!!!!!

"Great layout."

raymondpulles's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/08/2018

Several holes that are fun to play. It’s challenging but very fair and good shots are rewarded. The greens were in great shape and very consistent.

I would have preferred the nine staying as they were because old number 15 and 17 were such great finishing holes.

The pace of play was excellent and it’s one of my favorite courses in the valley.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2018

JP5756links's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/04/2018

"Great front 9"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2018

We enjoyed our round! They have changed the 9's, now the front 9 is the better 9. The back 9 is good but doesn't have the unique holes.

"Slowest round I have Ever played"

sam24go's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2018

Wife & I were really excited to come out and golf in phx as we needed a vacation and wanted to get away from the January snow where we live. Thought we had found a good course to play (Club West). Played on a Thursday afternoon, given it was a busy day in terms of players, there was absolutely no excuse for the slow pace of play we endured. On every single tee box the group in front of us was still waiting on the same tee. We were waiting 10 minutes on every single shot from the very beginning. Through 7 holes we were 2 hours and 40 minutes into our round and walked off the course it was so bad. They had no marshal or anyone to keep the pace of place at a realistic level. To make matters worse, I kindly asked the employee for a raincheck or refund and he just chuckled at me like I was crazy. I was an assistant golf professional in Salt Lake City for 3 years and in Jackson Hole for 2. I have never experienced anything as bad as I did at this course. Just awfullll! Will never ever go back. My grade would be an F

"Welcome Back!"

llgolfer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2018

Under the new ownership the club is back to being a must play local course. The previous owner let the course just die. We are so HAPPY with the new owners and the attention they are paying to the course.

T-Boxes were in great shape, fairways were very well maintained and the greens while not perfect yet are well on their way back. Nothing against the course or the owners but to my fellow players, please replace your divots on the greens.

We will play Club West again and again. Can't thank the new owners enough for bring this jewel back.

"Improved Conditions, Work On Organization!"

pgallivan's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2018

CW is a course we have played more often than any other in the valley because of location, thus convenience, and cost. We've tolerated very mediocre conditions in the past but must give kudos to the much improved conditioning of the course with the departure of the previous ownership group, hopefully never to be dealt with again! The fairways were thicker than what we experienced at any time before, providing some cushion for the ball and away from the constant tight lies one had from rather barren fairways, balls were certainly in better shape during the round. The greens were somewhat better but much of the criticism for them relates to the amount of play this course gets and the lack of respect golfers have in general re: repairing ball marks. Play on the front was slow, c'mon, get someone out there to marshall, 4 foursomes on one hole is ridiculous!!! What has not improved but rather has gone downhill is the organization. No one at the bag drop, no signs to indicate where the relocated pro shop is, the guy at the shop was rude and virtually non-communicative (why do courses or any business employ someone like this, especially considering that he/she is really the first person that one really meets and to whom the CUSTOMER gives some MONEY). Time to blitz the changes necessary re: hole signage now that the 9's are reversed, an in-service to indicate to employees what is expected of them and what their role is directing people upon arrival and ON the course, adequate employees to fulfill their functions (can a guy be expected to wash carts and also be at the bag drop to greet folks, especially considering the cart return and bag drop are 150 feet away from each other?). Though improved re: conditioning, this course needs someone BADLY who is organized and is focused on CUSTOMER SERVICE (to be fair the cart girl was very pleasant and apologetic for the grouping on the 8th hole, but the latter is not her responsibility)

"ok course"

terber2006's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2018

average course...all around. The greens were in fairly good condition, but sand traps were rock and dirt.

Nice layout...some fun elevation changes

"Can't wait to play this one again"

Goaltenders's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/31/2018

Was recommended this course by a local player. My friend and I played this for the first time and had a blast. The Course was in great shape. We are both 12 handicappers and on our second 18 we both broke 80. We both look forward to playing again next trip.

"Never Again"

saltyk9's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/26/2018

Gave Club West a few fair chances after taking on new ownership, but I've only been disappointed each time. They sent out an entire fleet of 4-somes ahead of the 2-some I was in and a single behind me. The starter originally told me we would be going out early so I rushed through my range balls only to start 30+ minutes late. It sure was fun pulling up to par 3's with 6 carts parked on the tee. The course itself is fun but the way the course is ran could sure use some work. Outside service was friendly.

"Could be a good course"

GerryBobo's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/24/2018

Things seemed a little confusing, no started, no rangers and the person behind the desk was more interested in his phone than helping golfers. The golf attendants were helpful.

The course seems to be going thru a transition but is currently not as good as it was last year!! I would wait until they get things straightened out before I would play there again.

"Course Under New Ownership"

gailmaher's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/24/2018
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

We have golfed at Club West several times over the last eight years. We have really enjoyed the layout of the course, especially the two elevated tees. This year we were surprised right from the get go. We arrived at the bag drop and noticed that the usual procedure was different. All the carts were in a different area and it was awhile before staff loaded our bags onto the cart. There was no signage and the staff member said nothing about the pro shop being moved. I walked to the location of the old pro shop to find it locked. Walked around to the restaurant and had to ask for the location of the pro shop. Was told it was a walk up the hill. Hiked up the hill and waited about 10 minutes at the pro shop to pay for our round as the only staff member was on the phone booking tee times. Had to walk back down the hill to get my husband and the cart as he had still not been told that the course had reversed the order of nines and that he would have to take the cart up the hill to begin on the back nine. The fellow in the pro shop was apparently also the starter but was not monitoring the order of tee times. I had to ask to see where we fit in the queue. There was no marshal on the course. It appears the course is making some major renovations but no one I asked would acknowledge that. Have to say that communication is sadly lacking at this point. The course was in good condition and the pace of play was reasonable. The course had a lot of litter in the rough as there were no garbage receptacles anywhere on the course. We are willing to overlook the shortcomings and give the new owners a chance to make the changes that they appear to be making. Would like to know for sure what their plans are.

"great day"

johnkrn's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/23/2018

it was great to play this course again. We basically had the course to ourselves and played at a pace that was best for us without unnecessary delays. My only concern is letting others know how great a day of golf it was.