Type Public/Municipal
Style Traditional

Papago Golf Course is conveniently situated just a few minutes from downtown Phoenix though you would never be able to tell with the peace and seclusion provided by the course's location in Papago Park. The golf course sits at the base of Papago Buttes, past the rugged red rocks you can see Phoenix skyline. The course was designed by William Francis Bell, whom you may know for Torrey Pines in San Diego. The challenging layout features undulating greens framed with strategically placed bunkers and subtle but tricky mounding. Water hazards appear on a few holes as well. It's a tough but straightforward layout that is still playable for a range of skill levels. Since opening in 1963, Papago has hosted numerous events including the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship and Phoenix Open Qualifying.

Papago Golf Course

Year Built 1963

Plays Long 48

Papago

Great public course, GPS on an iPad in every cart. Cooler with ice included. Pretty straight forward course. 3 out 4 par 3’s are over 200 yards from the blues. Definitely will play again.

Course Condition is Poor

After reading all the reviews of this course I decided to play it. Unfortunately it didn't come close to expectations. I play over 150 rounds a year and there was so much wrong with the course I don't even have enough time write it, after leaving on hole 9. I wasted enough time finishing the front 9. I would not recommend this course. I am in the industry and I am well aware what a course is worth for 100 bucks.

Great Conditions, but a little pricey

Excellent course layout especially if you plan on walking. The fairways were in perfect condition and the greens were smooth. This course has been in pristine condition ever since ASU moved their golf team here but the prices have gone up just a little too high.

Plays Twice a year

Nice course, good variety of holes. Pace of play was good. Would golf again

Great course, fun atmosphere!

We had a group of buddies travel to AZ for a golf trip and to watch the WM Open. This was our 2nd course and did not disappoint. Course was in perfect shape and provided incredible views. Staff was above and beyond friendly from the start. Not only was the course a great track, the clubhouse and dining were great. Would recommend and will come back.

Great place to play 18!

Great course with great amenities! -We will be back soon!

Nothing special

After playing some very interesting courses Papago was - blah. Not an easy course, in good shape but pretty wide open - rewards long hitters even if not acurate of the tee. Flattish, no special scenery.

The the value.

Course is in great shape from tee to green. Pace of play was good and the beverage cart was available 4 times in the round.

Papago ASU home course

We enjoyed this course - it’s good for all abilities. Range has a gorgeous view! Walkable. Uses the desert well.

Just average

Sorry to say I was disappointed in the layout of the golf course. Played ASU many times and it offered much more variety. Off course amenities were good, I just think for the price there are better options out there.

Awesome course. Slow play.

Played Padre about a year ago, and have been wanting to come back for Ambiente since then. Tis' the season for deals in Scottsdale and I finally pulled the trigger.

My take as a golf course architecture geek:

-Conditions were superb -- tee boxes, greens, and especially fairways. Seems like the location/sandy turf preserves well in the summer here. Best I've seen all summer.
-Layout is fun and linksy. Very unique for the area. Out and back layout with no transition at all at the 10th. No elevated vistas but it feels natural. Could play fast but it doesn't, unfortunately.
-Despite the layout, actual routing is not as good as I thought it would be. Still a lot of distance from green to tee...not sure if it's walkable. Lots of restricted cart areas (GPS), which forced long walking approaches to the green and back. If my wife hadn't been driving/cattying, I would have been worn out in the heat (I'm in my 30's). Contrast this to Papago or Talking Stick where you can essentially drive the cart directly to your ball around every green. I find that much more efficient in the summer and "walkable" in season.
-Pace of play was miserable. At this time of year in the weekday, at mid day, I've become used to having courses to myself. I will play through if I have to. Today, I encountered quite a few slow foursomes of elderly and distinguished character. Got tired of playing through. Still, we finished in about 4 hours. That's just the sort of clientele this place attracts...not for the weekday soloists apparently.
-I'll add that the marshal was attentive, charming and wonderful, but could focus more on pace of play and less on chatting it up. I struggled to graciously end a conversation with him as the solo party behind me and I waited on 17th tee, both of us backed up with the 4ball ahead wandering around in the fairway for at least 20 minutes.
-Ladies tees looked thoughtful and gettable without a ton of forced carries. Looked like a good family course. Couldn't drag the wife out into the heat to confirm.
-Amenities are superb, up there with Troon.

Conclusion: Beautiful and unique scottsdale links-style course with an almost-walkable layout, impecable conditions, and cult local retiree following, which hinders efficient play. Would return with a 4 some.

Pap city

Second time playing. Only reason I didn’t offer a 5-star overall was cause the greens were punctured up .. typical this time of year in the desert I suppose. But, outside of that, this course is so solid. It’s got all of the right challenges and very calculated bunker placements. Will continue to play when in Phoenix!

The course was in rough shape. The greens were recently punched and were very sandy. We played the back nine twice as the front nine was closed. Course maintenance is necessary but we should have been more fully informed as to the current conditions.

Summer golf with out beverages?

Real simple, no beverage cart on the back nine! The Course was in good shape except for the fringes around the greens.

Excellent experience

Awesome views course staff was very friendly and excellent customer service

Tough test

Played from the blues and the course played over 6600. Three of the par 3s were over 200 with one at 245. This was a really long and tough course. Bunkers were strategically placed and deep. The greens were a bit bumpy but you can’t be mad at these conditions in August. Love this course and the staff was super friendly

Excellent Experience For Summer Golf

I decided to take the Monday before I leave for vacation to visit a golf course I had never been to before. Normally I'm on the north side of the valley, but a friend recommended I try Papago, and being a city golf card member the price was right. So this review is for a round of golf in the middle of July that cost me $30. During peak season (and peak price), the expectations may have been a little different.

First, I'll say that the level of service was unexpected and I have never been treated so well at a city course, let alone during the summer when most courses trim back their staff and amenities. I arrived at the parking lot at about 8:10am, and as I was pulling my bag out of my car a staff member rolled up in a cart and greeted me, asking if I had a tee time or was walking on. After giving him my time, he greeted me by name, loaded my bag, and drove me up to the clubhouse. I was quickly checked in, and after heading back out the starter greeted me by name, gave me directions to tee #1, and gave a few pointers as well.

The course was not particularly busy, so pace of play was not an issue today, For a beginner, the course started a little tough for me, especially since I did not spend any time warming up. Wayward shots can be extra punishing as there is not much rough to save you before your ball ends up in dirt and rock. I'll admit, I did kick my ball a few times to get it back onto the grass.

The tee boxes were all in great shape. Fairways were pretty good. Again, July in Phoenix, so a few brown spots are to be expected. I wish there was more grass in the rough and a larger rough, but I believe that speaks more to my handicap than it does the course. Some of the fringes near the greens were scraped down to dirt; looks like they are trying to get worn sections fixed before the fall. The greens had been aerated just a few weeks ago, so speed was inconsistent and I'd frequently see my ball bounce down the green.

I also wish there were more scenic views. It's a shame that a course right up against the iconic Papago Park doesn't really feature it at all. Really the only way to take in the park scenery is from the driving range, which is nestled up against the hills. For most of the course you just get a view of the city.

Finished all 18 holes in just over 3 hours at a nice relaxed pace. As I was dropping off the cart, the staff wiped down all of my club heads and helped me take everything back to my car. Again, for a city course I did not expect this level of service.

So, bottom line is for Phoenix golf in July for $30, this was a fantastic deal and I plan of visiting again in the near future.

Phoenix, Arizona