Arizona Grand Resort
|White (W)||71||5438 yards||69.9||125|
|Red (W)||71||4628 yards||67.0||110|
|Black M: 68.5/124||314||392||596||362||180||555||381||211||377||3368||379||535||124||538||157||353||325||307||202||2920||6288|
|Blue M: 67.0/119||295||362||536||356||162||525||372||202||369||3179||358||519||120||485||142||345||255||300||169||2693||5872|
|White M: 65.2/114 W: 69.9/125||278||317||499||345||137||501||345||182||341||2945||342||508||102||451||133||317||249||245||146||2493||5438|
|Red W: 67.0/110||232||279||433||279||106||470||293||130||255||2477||237||456||92||371||116||289||225||240||125||2151||4628|
Arizona Grand Golf and Resort
Have played this course many times and up until today had always been very good to play. Grant it alot of other courses are in the process of re seeding and letting the courses change over. Over booking is not to the delight of any golfer or helps to pace of play. This seems to be a norm for this course and they dont seem to adhere to why players want a comfortable pace of play. Course is great when its healthy but right now the dry conditions are not worth the hassles.
It would have been nice if someone had told us/me the tee boxes and a few fairways we're being worked on. The rangers comment was the course is closing next week. Great, that doesn't help me today!!!
Played here in April and it was in rough shape. Today was much better. Heard there was a new superintendent. Great move!
The course has great features
The course had a lot of water on the front nin and many blind areas on the back nine
Favorite course of all the East Valley
They always have the best quality grass, actual rough if you miss the fairway. Not concrete sand.
Hilly course on the side of South Mountain that will give you a challenging life whether you hit the fairway or not.
Pace of play is always good, easily worth the extra $10 or whatever they are charging to play over the 20+ other courses within 20 miles or so.
The owner can make this a special course but it needs some serious investment by the owner to make it happen.
I loved the course, the price, the people working there, everything about this place was phenomenal. EXCEPT there were no coolers on the carts on a 110 degree day. They were kind enough to go around dropping off cool, damp towels, but after 3 holes the towel was almost completely dry. Coolers on the carts would have made the heat more bearable for everyone playing.
Nice course but only if you have time
Course was in good shape, we’ll maintain , especially considering heat issues! Nice touch with ranger offering cold towels , but pace of play is always an issue on back nine , slows way down, average 4 1/2 hr round can be frustrating if in a hurry. Staff was friendly and food in bar area was great!
This is a wonderful golf course with an even better staff. The course layout is amazing taking you back through South mountain on the back 9. Elevated tees bring challenges and great views for all skill levels.
Summer Let Down
It appears that the level of service decreases with the summer rates. Also, for the beginning of June, the course isn’t in very good shape. The back nine is much better than the front. It felt like two different courses-
Might be a nice course in February but not in June
This is a desert course.
If you play it in February when the weather is 70-80 degrees it might be great. But in June it’s really bad.
What can they do to improve?
1) I know this is a desert course but they need to add more shade. When it’s 105+ degrees on the course, you need some shade. They have very little of it on a number of holes where you get blasted by the sun. I’ve played other courses in the area that we’re built more recently that had more shade than this course.
2) They claim that they have water every 3rd hole... which they do except most of the coolers were EMPTY by the time we got to them. Refill the water coolers! On the 17th hole they had spots for 2 coolers but only 1 was actually there! They have marshals/ rangers running around as well as a cart ... keep the water coolers full!
3) The golf carts don’t have coolers on them. Why? When it’s 100+ degrees you need coolers to store drinks!!
4) Signage between holes is TERRIBLE. On some holes, it’s easy and clear. But due to the extended layout of the course, there are times when you need to go through tunnels and neighborhoods... and you can’t find where to go! It’s very easy to get lost . Particularly between hole 4&5... between 6&7... between 8&9 is the worst! Between 9&10 is bad. Between 10&11. Etc. Fix the signs!!
5) the pace of play is terrible. We got backed up on several Par 4’s and 5’s. Why? (Probably because people got lost between holes). But there are also a large number of blind tees where you can’t see where you’re going. Each hole should have better map showing the hole layout so you can tell where to hit the ball without driving into the desert or someone’s back yard. Improve the signs!!
The course would be considerably better if the staff made just a few changes like this.
On my No Play List
If you like blind shots, marginal quality fairways, and slow greens this course is for you...it isn’t for me. A couple holes were interesting but overall the layout wasn’t good. I now have a second course on my no play list.
Kudos though to the great staff. I managed to be stupid as leave a club on the course which they rescued and returned to me. Thank you!
Greens were terrible. Tee boxes not cut. Fairway conditions were more like mid July burnt summer fairways. This course used to be in great shape. not sure what happened. I would have not played here based on conditions.