Canyon/Oasis at Phoenician, The

2.6

The Canyon/Oasis Course at the Phoenician resort begins on the southern slope of Camelback Mountain, providing breathtaking views of the valley below. The course is comprised of two of three nines at the club, which are all played as three 18-hole combinations. Despite the desert surroundings, the golf course has a tropical feel thanks to the numerous palm trees and colorful flowers. The Canyon nine is known for its stunning scenery. The Oasis nine is sometimes overlooked for the spectacular views offered by Canyon and the club's other nine, Desert, but it deserves just as much attention. Oasis features water on six holes, but its defining feature is the moat of sand surrounding the green on the par-4 finishing hole. In addition to the three golf courses, the Phoenician also offers a practice range with numerous targets as well as a practice area with chipping and putting greens.
The Phoenician Golf Club
Championship 70 6258 yards 69.0 131
Phoenician 70 5839 yards 68.0 124
Forward (W) 70 4871 yards 64.0 111
Scorecard for Oasis/Canyon
Championship M: 69.4/127 421 518 211 419 218 358 396 340 321 3202 429 180 363 482 393 303 201 132 525 3008 6210
Phoenician M: 67.5/126 W: 73.7/131 393 489 177 377 182 335 371 330 304 2958 408 166 348 466 375 287 188 114 492 2844 5802
Forward W: 68.4/114 352 451 122 325 125 312 304 260 247 2498 363 129 299 406 310 259 98 70 378 2312 4810

Year Built 1981
Fairways TiffDwarf Grass
Greens TiffEagle Grass

Pull-carts No

Dress code Collared shirt and bermuda shorts required. No denim.

Entertaining Clients 79

Good course to play in Scottsdale area

The course is a simple and fairly easy lay-out with some challenging holes. Greens were hard and quite slick and would be a good golf experience, except for the pace of play of over 5h.

Suprise !!!!

They are closing next week for a year.

we were not told they have left the course un-maintained and closed 17th hole and shortened 18.

no marshal and we had 4 drunks behind us hitting into us. we finished in 4 hours.

Terrible Experience

My wife and I were visitors to The Phoenician golf course on Wednesday, December 27th. We booked a tee time online on Monday and we were aware that the course was beginning its renovation process on January 8th, 2018; however, the entire experience was one that has left us disappointed and quite frankly very upset.

We typically play on city courses as they are more affordable for us to visit on a more frequent basis, but today was a special occasion. I purchased the round of golf for my wife and I as a first wedding anniversary gift thinking that it would be a nice treat for us to play a luxury course and enjoy the amenities that come with that type of course. Unfortunately, I was sorely mistaken and I wish that I had chosen to visit the Biltmore Golf Course, which would have been $20 cheaper and of a much higher caliber.

To begin with, we were not greeted in any fashion upon walking up to the bag drop. A gentleman did take our bags from us but only after we stood there for a minute or so looking around for assistance. We were told to visit the pro shop, where the gentleman behind the counter was very nice. We decided to spend our time waiting for our tee time on the practice putting green, which was expertly maintained with luscious green grass. If only I could have played my entire round on that single practice green as that was the only real grass that I was to see for the rest of the day.

As our tee time approached we got into our cart and headed to the first tee. As we were about to get ready to tee off, from hole 1, an employee approached us and said that we were actually going off of 10 and that another employee had gone to collect our playing partners for the day. This was the first interaction we had with one of your employees in regards to our round of golf for the day and it was all very disorganized. Our playing partners were very nice and their company was appreciated; however, they only had one full set of clubs between the two of them. The female of the group only had two clubs with her, an iron and a putter, for the entire course. While they were both very nice, this would never be allowed on any course we've played before and it did slow down our pace of play as she proceeded to tee off of almost every hole, including the par 5's, with an iron.

Mentioning pace of play, I was astounded to be approached before we had even finished the second hole about our pace of play. The "course assistant" rolled up as we were making our way down the fairway and proceeded to tell us that we needed to catch up with the group in front as the course was very busy today. My wife and I had yet to adjust to the poor course conditions, and as mentioned above in regard to our partner's club situation, we were still able to catch up with the group ahead of us by the 4th hole, finishing the entire round only 4 minutes over Time Par. It would have been nice to have some more time to acclimate to the course before being hounded about our pace of play.

Speaking of poor course conditions, I was astonished to see that major construction had already started and that the upkeep of the entire course was far from what we saw advertised on their website. As I mentioned at the beginning, we were aware of the upcoming construction, which the website stated was set to begin on January 8th. That being said, we did not expect to come across drained, brown, and smelly lakes, and dying greens and fairways that had clearly been painted green in an attempt to hide their true condition. In addition to the fairways and greens being painted, the general upkeep of the grass was poor - there were many divots that had not been repaired on a majority of the greens, and some of the greens were lacking in general repair as there were piles of dirt on them and very uneven edges. Overal, the entire course lacked a clean and manicured appearance, making us wish we had saved our money and supported one of our local, city courses.

In the end, we just wanted the round of golf to be over and done with so that we could go home. I am upset that I wasted my money on this course to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and would not reccommend it to anyone looknig for a luxury round of golf.

Course is being altered

Going through a course design alteration , brown fairways. Not the Phoenician that it was last year.

Management letting course go

Phoenician is one of my favorite places to play so I was surprised by the condition of the course. The staff let me know that the course will be closing in a month for 10 months so they did not over seed the course so the rough was in terrible shape. The also spray painted parts of the course green. I understand not over seeding as the course is closing in January but knock the price down to summer rates as the course was not worth the price and there was no notice of this on Golf Now when I reserved a tee time.

Stowe
Stowe offers 36 holes of spectacular golf at two distinctive courses. Located on Spruce Peak mountain, the private Stowe Mountain Club is an authentic mountain course with unparalleled mountain views and thrilling challenges on every hole. Guests of Stowe Mountain Lodge enjoy exclusive access to Stowe Mountain Club.

gorgeous

Very beautiful and a little challenging. But worth it.

A very nice track

Good conditions with many choices per hole. Can’t wait for the redesign. If you can play it now. The par three in the back has one of the best views in the valley. Would suggest you get there early the breakfast burrito is great.

ready to shut down

they are shutting this course down in January. they should shut it down right now course looks terrible bad condition karts running poor. used to be one of the best courses in all of Phoenix. still getting Phoenician prices though. Buyer beware.

Paradise Valley, Arizona