Style Traditional

The Phoenician Golf Club reopened in the fall of 2018 after a massive redesign and renovation by Scottsdale-based architect Phil Smith. The new 18-hole layout replaces the original 27-hole routing. Every hole is new, featuring TifEagle grass greens and tees, fairways and rough that are 419 Bermuda grass. The golf shop has been expanded as well, and the Club Car golf carts have been outfitted with the "Shark Experience" - a new golf technology with a high-definition touch screen and built-in speakers for playing music and watching live sports, news and entertainment, along with GPS yardage.

The Phoenician Golf Club

Year Built 1981
Fairways 419 Bermuda
Greens TiffEagle Grass

Pull-carts No

Dress code Collared shirt and bermuda shorts required. No denim.

Entertaining Clients 79

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thanks for playing our course. We hope you enjoyed it. Come out and see us again soon!

Nice professional staff

They treat you well here, but the new layout is not worth the bang for the buck. Traps were lacking the proper amount of sand. A lot of weird bounces due to the terrian.

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for the feedback.We are glad to hear our staff was nice and professional. We are sorry to hear that about the course. We are in over seed now, when the course reopens we hope your experience out on the course is better!

Absolutely Beautiful!

Beautiful course. Front nine was very pretty but back nine was breathtaking. Staff was very professional and friendly. Pace of play was great after ranger came out to inform the foursome in front of us to move it along. An absolutely wonderful day!

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you so much for the great feedback. We strive to deliver an impeccable experience, and glad to be able to have done that for you. Next time you're in town, be sure to come play again!

A redesigned resort Course...

This course is 6500 from the tips, and at a par 71, is actually more challenging than it sounds. Landing areas are tight and the par 3s are long. It was completely redesigned last year so the bermuda greens are quite slow and break far less than anticipated (that will improve with a season or two). The sand is perfection though and while we don't really want to be in the sand, when you have to make a sand shot, these are among the best I have played out of. It's a typical resort course: a little shorter, impeccably maintained, incredible service, high end carts and facilities. I wouldn't want to pay the $100-120 USD that they charge without discount to golf it, so at that price I wouldn't recommend it, but for $50...sure...it was enjoyable.

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for the feedback. Glad to hear the course was in great shape when you played. Glad to hear the service was excellent, as well. We strive to deliver an amazing experience to our guests, and happy to hear that was the case for you. Come back and play soon!

Phoenician

Course was excellent and very well maintained. Views were fabulous. Well worth the money.

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for the 5 star review. We are ecstatic that you enjoyed the course so much. Come back and play soon!

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for the 5 star review! We really appreciate the feedback and seeing how much you enjoyed your experience here.

Texas Advisor

Decent course in the Scottsdale-area

This course was the first stop on my AZ golf retreat. I never played the courses prior to the renovations, so I can’t compare, but the new 18-hole course (once 27) was a great warm up round for our crew (literally and figuratively, the AZ summer heat’s no joke).

The front 9 was relatively easy with more challenging holes (and better views-the only photos in this IG compilation) on the back. I would recommend this course, but don’t pay full rack rate!

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for the feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience here and were able to get "Insta-worthy" pictures during your time here! Come back and play soon!

Front 9 A- Back 9 D

Front 9 is in spectacular shape. Greens are recovering very well. Rolling smooth and fast (around 10). Fairways across the whole course are in great shape, as well as bunkers. Back 9 needs a few more weeks before it is anywhere near the front 9 condition. I’d ask to play front 9 twice!

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate hearing how you enjoyed the course. Come back and play soon!

Less is Less

I often stay at the Resort when I travel to the Phoenix area and lots of times my business dictates that I am there in the summer. Still, the course was always in remarkable shape considering the heat. I understand the course recently underwent a sculpting reducing the layout from 27 to 18:holes. Any golf course—even those in the desert sun—will take time to recover. I also was told that the area had a cool wet spring and the transition to summer grass had not yet been fully achieved.

With that said, I still must report my overall disappointment in the new layout. The front nine was just kind of blah. The ninth still shows some pizazz but for the most part, what made the course fun and memorable was just missing in action.

The back nine was somewhat better as the routing reminded me more why I always enjoyed playing The Phoenician. But overall, I fear the renovation cost the course the variety it offered before when it offered 27 interesting holes whereas the “new” 18 just seems not quite to measure up.

Hopefully, more seasoning is all that is required, but I suspect I will be playing more rounds off the resort than on when I return to the hotel in the future, as Scottsdale has many better offerings.

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for your feedback on your experience and thoughts on the course layout. We hope you come back and play again!

Real golf course in the summer

First time playing the new design. Tee boxes are in good shape, greens are quick, the course does show signs of sun damage but to be expected this time of year.

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for your feedback. Hopefully you stayed cool in that AZ Summer heat... come back and play soon!

Greens are challenging

Fairways were in great shape. Greens were hard and fast adding To the challenge of them being very undulating. Club house and amenities were very nice. The only knock is layout of course due to renovation down to 18 holes. There was no flow to setup.

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for the review. We are glad to hear the course was in great shape and you had a nice experience!

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for your 5 star review! Come back and play again soon!

The course layout us awesome. The Phoenician has invested well in ensuring holders have a great experience.

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for the 5 star review. We strive to deliver an impeccable experience to our customers and glad this was the case for you. Come back and play again soon!

Awesome!

This was my first time playing this course since the renovation and it did not disappoint. One of my favorite courses in Arizona, beautiful landscape and some challenging holes. I would definitely recommend this course.

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for the awesome review! We are so glad to hear your experience was amazing and you enjoyed the course!

Redone

Obviously still some construction and some fixing happening, but loved the experience. Great facilities and in great shape. Played it for the same price as Orange Tree and was not even comparable how much better Phoenician is. Great place, I will be back

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for your 5 star review! We are so happy to hear you had an amazing time here at The Phoenician!

All round excellence

Course in great condition lush fairways desert sand bikers wet not too penalizing
Greens were undulating and ran true quick down hill but very fair

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you had a great experience and enjoyed the golf course!

its a resort course

for a beginner to intermediate it would be an ok place to play and its sad that someone below paid $200 to play it as its not worth that amount.
played in an organized event so course set up, as expected , was tough with hard to reach pins.
practice facility was adequate, not great. course condition was ok but not well manicured and a bit over watered.
the greens were trampoline tiff ( not a fan) so there were no ball marks but they were not pure and were very spotty and distressed in a lot of areas. greens had a lot of undulation and they tended to be small which required second shot precision. bunkers were perhaps the best part of the course.
cart girl was nice but grill had closed before round was finished....which was odd.
if you stay there play it. if its on your must play list- good luck.

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for the feedback. We are sorry to hear your experience wasn't up to par. We hope next time you come to play, it will be even better!

Not the course it used to be

$140 USD when greens top dressed and punched. Very average shape - too bad. Used to love this course but now without the Canyon 9 it’s really just an average course. Beware when booking to check green status, etc.

Commented on 09/27/2019

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate your concerns and will make sure to address it now on. Thank you!

As Good as it Gets

After having lunch at the Tavern just above the Phoenician’s putting green and first hole, I convinced my wife that I had to golf there. Next day I did. The entire course was in fantastic shape, from the tee boxes, the fairways and onto the greens. The greens were fast and difficult but fair. The bouganvilias were in full bloom adding to the beauty of the course. The staff was friendly and helpful. I’ve been lucky to have golfed several times at Shadow Creek in Las Vegas and Wolf Creek in Mesquite, Nevada and now rank The Phoenician right up there with them!

Beautiful

What a lovely layout, and view from the top.
The fairways were terrific and greens were fast
but not like glass- the ball would hold the line well.

Phoenix, Arizona