Style Desert

The deserts of Arizona are the last place you'd expect to find an ode to the British Open but the Monument course at Troon North is a love song to the golf courses on the other side of the Atlantic, from the ability to play bump-and-run shots into greens into the names of some of the holes.

A round of golf on the Monument Course at the Troon North Golf Club kicks off on a par-4 hole that measures 444 yards from the Black tees. Things get long on the third hole, a par 5 that plays to 564 yards from the Black tee and is one of four holes that come in at over 500 yards from the Black tees.

The 18th hole on the Monument Course at the Troon North Golf Club will be a relative breeze, then, a par 4 that measures just 370 yards from the Black tees.

Troon North Golf Club

Year Built 1990
Fairways Bermuda grass
Architect Tom Weiskopf (1990) Jay Morrish (1990)

Pull-carts No

Caddies Yes, caddies and forecaddies

Dress code Collared shirt required, no denim

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 60

Boston Advisor

Solid layout but poor service

As one of the most popular resort type courses we were a bit surprised by the poor service we received at Troon North. The course itself was in good condition and the layout was fun. With some rock formations that actually come into play this makes for a very different kind of golf course. The greens were top dressed the day we played it which made them very slow but we get that. So on to the staff issues, I know this happens on a person by person basis so you might not experience any of this but I felt you should know. First off when we arrived there were two vans at the bag drop tying up traffic. As we sat there with our blinker on to turn in there the guys at the bag drop looked at us a couple of times but ignored us. After five minute we went and found a parking spot very far away and had to lug our clubs to the bag drop area, wasn’t expecting that from this place. The pro shop staff was fine as were the folks in the restaurant. From there we went to the range where we were told we had 20 minutes so we broke it out as 15 on the range then 5 on the putting green. After 10 minutes an employee came up to the range and said he was taking us to the course so no putting for us. He took us to the first tee at monument and drove away. With no starter there we were sent off blind with no information about the course to go by. These issues really left a sour taste in my mouth and actually made me regret that this was the course I bought a shirt from ( I only buy one on every trip). Again, it could have just been us that got this level of service but I thought everyone should know how it went for us.

What to expect at Troon North Pinnacle

Amazing tee boxes, challenging greens, great service/hospitality. Overall one the best courses I’ve ever played. I recently played Gamble Sands in Wa and I would prefer this style course. Tighter fairways and many forced carries. Should have been 5 stars all the way, but it was cart path only and we had to wait at every hole. I’m guessing this wouldn’t be the case at a different time. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this course and I will hopefully be back.

Overprice. Unimpressive better options ... e.g. gray hawk

So over priced it was painful to play At best it is above average. Waste of $$$$. I will never play there again. For example views were meh.

Monticristo Team

Great day of golf with best friends and enjoyed some excellent Montecristo cigars
PS: the greens were a little beat up with a lot of Unrepaired divots

staff

the staff was not helpful, they made me feel like I was not welcome at the course.

Not worth the price

When we pulled up the bag drop staff looked at us but did not move do we unloaded our own clubs - we were pair with some very nice people and it was a great day fir golf - 8:06 tee time and we even got our a bit ahead. When we got up to the greens the number of unrepaired ball marks was astounding!!! When you Pay over $200 a round you expect better conditions. It was very disappointing. Our cart had break issues - the cart girl had no coffee at 9 AM. Overall we have never felt so unwelcome as golfers in our life. We played legend Trail’s golf the prior day for way less money. The course was in better shape and the staff was way friendlier. I would not recommend this course.

Best Arizona Golf Course I've played

This course was amazing! The staff were extremely accommodating as we were late for our tee time because our flight was delayed. Great conditions, tough test of golf. It's a must try!

Push all the buttons

This course is scenic , challenging, pvt club conditions, and has very friendly and helpful staff

Very fun

Chose Troon due to staff assurances that the course was in good condition. The course was recently reopened after over-seeding (Pinnacle course as well as many other local courses were closed for over-seeding) and couldn't appreciate their honesty more. If you are going to pay premium fees to play a course like Troon North you want to enjoy it. Unlike other experiences where you feel misled by staff to simply secure your business, the staff were right on with their assessment. The tees and fairways were in very nice shape and the greens rolled true and faster than I expected. We were warned about the "battle" they are having with players not fixing their ball marks on the greens and this was the only drawback-through no fault of the Troon staff. Great fun to play and the layout and views are special. Looking forward to coming back.

Shockingly bad!!

Course being prepped for overseeding so wasn’t expecting much from fairway conditions but....greens with literally hundreds of ball marks is just embarrassing. I’ve played here numerous times before but I was shocked at how bad of an experience it was. Bev cart lady was rude and pace of play was ridiculously slow. When we finally saw a Marshall he said the first group showed up late and was still allowed to go off. Ok fine, but instead of making them skip a hole or two, they just let them go off 1 and they proceed to play slow. Are you kidding me? Troon should know how to manage a golf course since they supposedly are the experts in course management. After making the turn at 2hr and 45 we almost walked off. I would expect more out of a muni let alone the most expensive public course in the valley. One of my favorite tracks and I will likely never go back. Disappointed doesn’t even begin to describe it. Embarrassing is probably a more accurate description.

Commented on 12/04/2019

Thanks for the info! Planning a trip to AZ, and there sure are shockingly lots of mixed reviews for Troon (too bad)

Disappointed

Fairways were the worst I have played in a long time! Large areas of bare spots with no grass. Supposedly from a rough winter and overseeding did not come in.
Greens were very playable and were the best portion of the golf course. Pace of play was terrible. Did not see the Course Marshall until the Back 9 after we were waiting approximately 10-15 minutes per hole. Beverage Cart gave last call with 12 holes still to play. Was expecting much more!

WOW! Both good and bad

The good--Gorgeous setting!! Great layout with some very challenging shots! I could do without the mega-mansions all over the course, but they too were impressive! The greens were receptive, fast and rolled very nicely except for all the unrepaired ball marks. This was a 1:15 tee time, so the course had seen a fair amount of usage by then. The one bunker I was in had excellent sand. Lots of water coolers on the course. All the staff members were friendly and helpful.

The bad--To start, the range was pretty beaten up, and the golf balls looked like chew toys collected from the local humane society. Fairways were the worst I've played on in a long time--sparse grass, muddy, unfilled divots. I don't understand how Troon gets away with charging what they do with conditions like this. I found a seemingly great deal to play this renowned course ($43), but would not return at half that rate.

Troon North is one of the Scottsdale areas finest.

My wife and I played the Pinnacle course at Troon North today with two other male golfers. We played in a little over 4 hours, when considering that we didn’t know the course and the level of difficulty, was very good. When we checked in, the employee behind the counter indicated that because they are about to go through the over seeding process, the course was not in pristine condition and hence we received a 15% discount. The greens were perfect, the only weakness in the conditions was some bare spots in the fairways, which was easily resolved by moving you ball to a grassy area.

Their pro shop is fully stocked and our lunch after our round, including our Bloody Mary’s made for a perfect day.

Good round at Troon

Course has a great layout but lots of burned up grass in the fairway. Greens are in pretty good shape. The other negative for this is pace of play. Their standard pace is 4.5 hours, and our foursome was held up almost every hole today and we finished in about 4:50. Makes for a long round in 110 degree heat. We asked the Marshall midway through the round and he thought this pace was reasonable. Other than that, great course.

Easier to play for the first time then other courses

They told us in a email before we played about course conditions and it was a great help. The staff did whatever we needed before we went out. The course offered challenging tees for whatever handicap you were. The pace seemed a little slow but we were under 4 1/2 hours. One of the best things was having a ranger come out and offer cold wet towels, that were very much appreciated and a terrific gesture on the clubs part.

Awesome Course!

Had so much fun. Unbelievable course and staff was the BEST EVER. Will come back for sure!!

Valid dates: Dec 05, 2019 - Nov 01, 2020