Starfire Golf Club - Hawk/King

• 11500 N Hayden Rd, Scottsdale, Arizona 85260, Maricopa County
  • (480) 948-6000, (480) 951-2535
  • www.starfiregolfclub.com

Year built: 1988
Architect(s): Arnold Palmer (1988), Ed Seay, Robert Walker (1988)
Type: Semi-Private
Greens: Bermuda Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Caddies: No
GPS: No

Driving range: Yes - limited

Dress code: Collared shirt required, no denim
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Discover, AMEX Welcomed

Palmer 70 6106 yards 68.8 124
Regular 70 5597 yards 66.9 114
Middle 70 5084 yards 68.0 119
Forward (W) 70 4467 yards 64.4 107

The Hawk/King Course at the Starfire Golf Club consists of two separate nine-hole courses. The three nines at Starfire are played in three 18-hole combinations, providing plenty of golfing options. Arnold Palmer added the King Course in 1998 and also redesigned the other two courses at the club. He added more water hazards and bunkers to make them more interesting. The Hawk Course's signature hole is the narrow, par-4 ninth hole where in order to get a low score both distance and accuracy are needed. The King Course's signature hole, the par-3 8th, is a challenging hole that is surrounded by water and bunkers.

Location is convenient to the city near local attractions in the 'burbs   Great for locals seniors playing multiple courses   Challenges include water hazards bunkers narrow fairways   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"Best course great game"

stepcalv's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2018

We start with King and end with Hawk, eventhough it was hot there was plenty of trees and water to keep cool. Gordon had an eagle we both shot 80. Thank will recommend this course to everyone.

u212070323's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2018

"Terrible"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2018

The fairways were...dirt with some spotty grass (?) thrown in. By far, the worse condition of any course we have played. Greens were ok.

mikeybrown's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Play was crawling. no help from the Marshall on course pulled up to the first tee only to find

d a foursome in front of us waiting on the foursome teeing off waiting on the foursome in fairway waiting on the foursome on the green. after two hours we finally reach the sixth tee box the 5 hours was bad but the fairways less grass and hitting out of mud areas where there should be grass was as bad. I know it's hot and dry and summer time, but this is the worst time I've played this course . The extremely long play just made it seem worst

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2018

"DO NOT PLAY HERE"

Brysie666's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/28/2018

OMG what an awful golf course.

This course was our last of 6 rounds in Scottsdale and left us extremely disappointed.

The fairways were bare and like playing off mud.

The greens were far from good, and in desperate need of some TLC.

The course lay out was not challenging, and run mostly the side of a road.

The staff were rude, and simply laughed at my playing partner when he said the course was rubbish to them.

With so many other courses around, simply do not play here.

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 07/15/2018

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry that you found the golf course not up to your expectations and certainly not up to our normal standards. The Bermuda grass is trying to transition back in after the winter rye grass and is being water more to help quicken this process.

As far as your experience with our staff members, this is not acceptable and with your help management was able to review customer service immediately with the staff involved.

I would welcome any other comments you would like to share. Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Mamie Wood, Director of Golf

mwood@starfiregolf.com

"Muddy Duddy and Duddy Cart Guy"

Vago's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Fairways had many dead spots and were very muddy. I have played this course on and off for over 10 years and it normally is in pretty decent shape year round including June. Greens were recently aerated, which is normal for June. The starter gave me a cart with a defective brake lock and after the ranger confirmed it was malfunctioning, I returned it and the starter who tried to convince me that I did not know how to use a brake lock on a golf cart after I have golfed for over 54 years. He said the brake locks are adjusted for old people so you have to push them down very softly to make them lock...wrong . He also said there is not danger since their carts will not roll backwards on a slope when in forward....wrong. This one rolled back in forward on steep slopes since brake lock was defective and was a potential safety issue. He insulted my intelligence and made me feel like I was inept and showed no concern for the cart’s safety. The pro shop apologized for his behavior , but this tells me that their staff are not trained properly when dealing with customers. Spend your money on many other courses in better shape and with knowledgeable staff.

Commented on 07/15/2018

Thank you for your feedback both after your round and as a review. You can be reassured that this behavior by one of Starfire’s staff members is completely unacceptable and was dealt with immediately.

Please feel free to contact me personally if you would like to discuss this further, and thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Mamie Wood, Director of Golf

mwood@starfiregolf.com

"Just Okay"

Mark9002439's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2018

I have played this course a few times before and I really like the layout. Despite the busy roads and houses along the course, there is a generous amount of room off the tee on most holes. That said, if you can't control the "big dog" choose something a bit shorter because there's not THAT much room.

The course was only in fair shape with the greens being punched recently and many of the fairways very wet and muddy. There were several fairways that had areas missing grass. Some drainage construction was evident so they are trying to fix whatever problem they have.

Commented on 07/15/2018

Thank you for playing Starfire and your patience with our summer improvements. We hope that you will be back to give us a try again soon.

"Starfire"

mhudson62's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2018

Great course in excellent condition, good challenge for the club golfer

"maintenance/renovation in progress"

kitkactus's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2018

Course received rain 2 days prior and was muddy in many spots with combined rain/irrigation. Grass was either sparse or too high. Played the East 9 and found a large Caterpillar front loader parked just to the right of the tee box. They are reconfiguring the drainage channel in front of the green. Greens had been aerated recently and were covered with sand. Would have been good to know these conditions before purchasing the round. The course was not up to its usual standards but will likely play it again.

tknudsen13's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2018

Course Layout: Poor

"Another Great round"

azbkelley's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2018
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

First time I've golfed in Scottsdale when its raining. No complaints when it's June 16th and at 10:30am it was 73. It was fairly busy but not too bad of pace. We were paired up with a single so at least we could socialize a bit. Course was very well maintained and love that summer golf so were paying under $40 a round. Best part was when I golfed there two weeks ago, and at the end of this round asked if anyone turned in my 7 iron, the checked out there collection of dozen's of clubs and it was right on top. Made my day and was excited the wife and I decided to play there so soon again.

"Fun courses"

BillyJoe007's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/15/2018

King, Hawk, and Squire. 3, 9 hole courses. King/Hawk is the general combo you will get when playing 18. I always have fun playing this combo. Recently they are redoing a few creeks,greens. Tractors, and dirt heaps were present on a few holes. plays right over 6000 yards from the tips. Lots of bunkers, water and other hazards to keep you making fun of yourself all day. I also enjoy the Squire course I wish it was open more. I believe they are making some changes on the north side as well.

"fairways very spotty"

jjc943's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2018

This was a fun course to play but the fairways left a lot to be desired. Also greens were recently aerated. I did enjoy the layout. Because of fairway condition I can't recommend the course.

Commented on 07/15/2018

Thank you for your comments. Starfire's superintendent and staff are working very hard to help fill in these bermuda gras areas that are transitioning from the winter rye grass. We appreciate you playing Starfire and hope you will give us another try soon.

"Conditions"

timknobbe81's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2018

Great staff & course. Great value. But, the greens are extremely sandy and unpredictable. They are renovating, so I look forward to the improvements. I will go back due to the value.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

The course was in good shape overall. You guys have to do something with your bunkers. Bunkers are so hard and so dry. Why can't you have a staff member go out and rake the traps at least 4 times a day. You should also have some sort of discount for Arizona residents and veterans.

"StarFire"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2018

1st timer at this course. Fairways, rough, sand traps, greens and tee boxes all kept professionally. Amenities on point. Other than the range being worked on before morning play this is a must play course for any kind of golfer...... pace of play was the only downer as a foursome held us up throught the 18 holes. Wish we had a ranger to either speed them on pace or let us play ahead of that group. Will play again and try the other 9 course of the 3 courses.

Greggo3's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2018

Greens a bit thin in spots, otherwise great. Our foursome thoroughly enjoyed the round.

Silverballs's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2018

"My Most Played Course"

dhume419's avatar
Arizona Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/30/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

This course is a block and a half from my house, so this is essentially my home course. I can usually book a tee time late in the afternoon and buzz around the course to get in a quick 18 on my way home from work. The course is composed of 3 nines--Hawk, King and Squire. King is the most friendly nine of the three with fairly generous fairways and fairly straight-forward hole layouts. One long par-3, however, requires a well struck iron to carry the water and the sloped apron. Squire is fairly short in distance, but has several tight lines off the tee to keep you honest. Hawk is again about tight tee shots on the shorter par-4s and has the toughest hole that requires a very precise tee shot to set up the approach shot across water. Fail to get a good position off the tee and you are usually sending your ball to the fishes. The club does a fairly good job with course conditions, and on this round the greens were in the best shape I've seen.