Staff Friendliness

Grayhawk Golf Club, opened in 1994 has two 18-hole courses, Talon and Raptor, which have garnered accolades over their brief lifespan and hosted several events. Among those are tour-sanctioned events like the 2007 Fry's Electronics Open, the Andersen Consulting World Match Play Championship and the Tommy Bahama Challenge. A round on the Grayhawk Golf Club's Raptor course, which Tom Fazio designed, delivers tests demanding golfers' respect if they're shooting high-risk for huge rewards. The par-72 course measures 7,090 yards, with natural small hills and washes. The course provides a panorama, with vistas of the McDowell Mountains, as well as indigenous Saguaro cacti and Palo Verde, Ironwood and Mesquite trees. The fairways on the Raptor at Grayhawk Golf Club are giving, though strategic bunkers make bogeys your best bet if you don't shoot true.
Raptor 72 7090 yards 74.2 140
Palo Verde 72 6526 yards 71.2 135
Terra Cotta (W) 72 6040 yards 74.9 135
Terra Cotta 72 6040 yards 69.0 128
Heather (W) 72 5175 yards 70.1 120
Scorecard for Raptor
Raptor M: 74.2/140 413 395 460 562 203 345 502 174 464 3518 390 615 468 230 429 437 151 331 521 3572 7090
Raptor/Palo M: 72.5/137 413 395 419 530 180 345 502 174 427 3385 390 539 441 200 429 415 151 331 521 3417 6802
Palo M: 71.2/135 380 360 419 530 180 334 474 156 427 3260 359 539 441 200 379 415 138 301 494 3266 6526
Palo/Terra M: 70.0/131 380 360 392 500 170 334 474 156 394 3160 359 510 416 183 379 415 138 275 494 3169 6329
Terra M: 69.0/128 W: 74.9/135 353 336 392 500 170 312 443 149 394 3049 331 510 416 183 371 378 97 275 430 2991 6040
Terra/Heather M: 67.2/123 W: 72.6/128 353 336 288 440 133 312 443 149 358 2812 331 465 390 144 371 378 86 226 430 2821 5633
Heather W: 70.1/120 297 268 288 440 133 285 382 131 358 2582 274 465 390 144 342 305 86 226 361 2593 5175

Year Built 1995
Architect Tom Fazio (1995) Tom Fazio (2015) Wadsworth Golf Construction (1995)

Pull-carts No

Dress code Collared shirt required

Amazing Food 5
Playing Multiple Courses 5
Group Getaways 4

Fun Course Layout, Value is Average

I have played the Raptor course at Grayhawk twice and both times I have come away impressed. The course itself is what you would expect from a Resort course in AZ. We played the second tees (Palo Verde), and while there are some narrow fairways, most of them are manageable. The ones that were narrow were that way intentionally, to force you into "target golf" decision making like most of the desert courses (for instance, pulling an iron/3 wood over driver by default). Conditions on the fairway and rough areas were great, especially for the time of the year (June). The greens were rolling a little slower than expected the day we were there, but overall rolled true to their lines and represented a challenge due to undulations and tiered greens on many of the holes. Pace of play was about 4 hours and 15 minutes, which I find to be right on par with expectations. Finally, the atmosphere of the club was great. Between Phil's Grille (a great post-round Men's grille) and top-notch conditions, it felt almost like a private course. Where Grayhawk falls short is value. Even playing in June, which is considered the start of the offseason summer rates, we still paid $100 to play. I am not saying that is unheard of for courses in the area (Troon's pricing was nearly the same), but we played two other courses during our trip that matched the course conditions, but represented better overall values (Verde River and We-Ko-Pa). All of that said, I expect to return to GrayHawk (want to try out Talon) again in the future, but it may not be my first stop along the way. There are many courses in the area that offer similar challenge/conditions at a lesser price.

One notch tougher than Talon

Grayhawk's Raptor course is one notch tougher than the other course on site (Talon), but still very playable and enjoyable. Loved the smooth greens - pretty quick, but once you got a feel for them they were just great. Play the slope on the card, not the yardage to get the right tee boxes for your game. Grayhawk facility is just outstanding and the people are excellent.
Course Layout Excellent
Minnesota Advisor

I finally got to play Raptor!

I played Talon last year and really wanted to play Raptor, I finally got the chance. I loved this course, we just picked a day where it ended up raining. We were wet for the last 6 holes, sadly. The course was great and well maintained, greens were quick and they stayed pretty fast even after getting soaked. We went cart path only which was a bummer but we understood it. The driving range is awesome, the music is a pretty cool piece. I love the practice putting greens, very cool with the mountains in the back. The club house, Phils grill and the restaurant is incredible. My favorite club house. The outside seating areas are great to have a drink after the round. This course is tough, it is humbling but very, very fun. Tons of sand and if you miss the fairway you are most likely out of a golf ball. Staff was nice, the ranger was bringing towels out to us to dry off and the starter was very welcoming and fun. I think I would play Talon over Raptor if I had to choose but it is still well worth it to play.
Course Layout Good

Love the experience more than the course

Let me start by saying I'm a big fan of the Grayhawk experience. I love Phil's Grill, the music on the range and most of the holes on the Raptor - especially the "Aces&Eights" par 3 at no. 8 and the par 5s at no. 4 and no. 8. But I'm more of a fan of the amenities than I am of the course, which has a long history of hosting events that attract professional golfers. Like most tournament courses, it's too heavily bunkered with too many popup greens for most amateurs to enjoy, especially snowbirds who haven't played in a month or more when they visit. Maybe next time I'll play the 6,000 yard tees and change my tune.
Pace of Play Average
Value for the Money Average

Awesome first experience

Greens were rolling great. The layout of this course is very compatible to that of Troon North (one of the best in AZ) in terms of being scenic and different between each hole. There wasn't a single hole that was disappointing or unfair. The views made it difficult to focus on playing good golf! I will be back!
Course Layout Excellent

Loved the Raptor

This is by far the more fun and fair of the two Grayhawk courses. The only hole I didn't like is #10. Miss the green left or even hitting out of the right side green bunker you will be in Quill Creek. Not an easy course, but very enjoyable to play.
Off-course amenities Good
Course Layout Good
Played this course for the first time today, not worth the money they are charging you. Pace of play is ridiculous. Marshall kept apologizing saying he was warning slow groups in front of us but 5+ hours for a round is unacceptable. And for $230 I'll stay away from now on and will not recommend to anyone.
Staff Friendliness Poor
Pace of Play Poor
Course Conditions Average
Value for the Money Poor

cool place

Awesome facility leads to a solid place to practice and play. Course is in good shape with solid greens. Fun layout until number 16. They remodeled numbers 15-17 a year or so ago and really did a poor job. Number 15 is a fine hole. However, number 16 may be one of the worst holes I have ever seen as it is nothing more than a wedge shot and if you happen to miss it left by a foot, you end up in the desert with an impossible shot as the grass does not extend far enough. Number 17 isn't quite as bad but it is by far the easiest hole on the course, it needs some bunkers. All in all a fun place.

Tough Course

Well, this course really ate my lunch the day I played it. I consider myself to be a pretty decent golfer, but I probably should've played from the set of tees in front of the greens. This course was really long, and you can't be wayward with your tee shots. The greens were sandy, and played fairly slow. My guess is that they had been punched about a month before I played there. Overall, the practice facility and clubhouse were nice. I didn't eat there, but the restaurant/bar area looked nice. I feel like I got fairly good value for my money, as I paid $60 to play here at 9:00 a.m. Keep in mind that it's in the middle of the summer in Arizona. I'm sure the course is nicer during the winter months, but I'm not sure I would be rushing back to play here. Mainly because there are so many other options nearby. Like I said, I'd like to play it during peak season just to have a good comparison.
Off-course amenities Good
Value for the Money Average
Course Layout Good

So sad what they have done to Raptor

STAY AWAY! They have basically ruined Raptor with the "redesign" of 15, 16, 17 to allow room for their big new hotel. 15 is a so-so par 4, 16 is a sad crammed-in-there 100-yar par 3, and the teeth have been taken from 17 by shortening it from about 420 to 270 yards. How to take one of the better Phoenix-area courses and make it disappointingly poor at the finish. It is so sad, and I will no longer consider Grayhawk a course of choice.
Off-course amenities Average