Desert/Canyon at Phoenician, The

This golf course is closed for business. Not true? Let us know.
Looking for other options nearby?

Style Traditional
Editor's Note: Course closed in 2018. See The Phoenician Golf Club listing. The Phoenician resort is known for its three unique nines, which offer not three challenging 18-hole combination but also stunning views of the Valley of the Sun. The Desert/Canyon Course is the most requested layout because of its particularly stunning vistas. The Desert Course is known for its dramatic elevation changes that climb up to the Canyon nine situated on the southern slope of Camelback Mountain. The golf course is not long but it proves that holes don't have to be lengthy to provide a good challenge. Golfers will need careful strategy as well as sharp short game skills in order to take on the water hazards and strategically placed bunkers. The par-4 third hole on the Desert nine is particularly tricky thanks to a green that is surrounded on nearly all of its sides.
Championship 70 6068 yards 70.0 130
Phoenician 70 5695 yards 68.0 127
Forward (W) 70 4777 yards 64.0 107
Scorecard for Desert/Canyon
Championship M: 68.2/126 415 505 303 220 443 180 502 120 372 3060 429 180 363 482 393 303 201 132 525 3008 6068
Phoenician M: 66.6/120 W: 73.1/135 390 490 291 200 377 168 481 101 349 2847 408 166 348 466 375 287 188 114 492 2844 5691
Forward M: 62.7/105 W: 68.4/117 375 442 266 161 264 114 436 80 327 2465 363 129 299 406 310 259 98 70 378 2312 4777

Year Built 1981
Fairways TiffDwarf Grass
Greens TiffEagle Grass

Pull-carts No

Dress code Collared shirt and bermuda shorts required. No denim.

Entertaining Clients 79

Not what it used to be

Last time we played here was maybe two years ago, a beautiful course back then. We didn't know they had sold 9-hole since. The best 9 hole of the course were gone and none of our watches worked (I guess it was our own fault for not updating). The worst part is cart on path only, so a lot of walking back and forth. I never felt this exhausted at the end of a game.

Great course, great condition, design redo a success!

Enjoyed the new Phoenician course with redesign of holes. Good special rate and staff very friendly. Played back nine first in 1 hour 15 minutes, then joined a threesome on hole 5. Played under 3 1/2 hours and really enjoyed the quality conditions and fairness of the course.

Not Bad

Walked this course with some friends in the afternoon. Felt like we had the place to ourselves until the last couple holes. A handful of these greens were sodded towards the end of the recent renovations because they ran out of time for grow-in. These greens were a bit soggy, but should firm up over the next few months. The conditions were good, but beyond the views, this course just didn't feel memorable. Had fun overall however. Wouldn't bring high-handicappers on busy days.

Mediocre Course

First time playing course since the renovation. Being it was Christmas the course was wide open, so pace of place was super fast.

Course was cart path only, which is not ideal. For the money I would not recommend as there are many other courses to play in the area.

New look Phoenician most enjoyable

Sometimes you get addition by subtraction, which is exactly what happened at The Phoenician Golf Club after a renovation by local architect Phil Smith. What was once 27 uneven holes is a much cleaner 18-hole golf course now. Gone are some of the holes that were shoehorned into the mountainsides. The fairways are more generous now, and the course flows much better. Many of the holes are still recognizable, but with the repositioning of tees and greens, they are a lot more user-friendly.. Best of all, it's in fantastic condition with great scenery, much like most of the premium courses in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area. While I wouldn't rank The Phoenician among the very best, it's certainly a premium play that won't beat you up.

Going to be good

I enjoyed playing the Phoenicion today. Everyone was friendly, the course layout fun, and the pace of play was under 4 hours. Conditions were a little wet due to fertilizer being recently put down, but considering it just opened last month after renovations I thought the course was in good shape. Still cart path only, which was ok, forcing me to get a little exercise.

Phoenician needs time

Cartpath only until the grass grows in. No markers on the course in your GPS will not work. So not very good to judge distances. Greens are very gimmicky. Really didn’t enjoy it very much

Disappointed

I know it was Thanksgiving but pace of play was terrible. Course condition not great but I know it was recently opened. We will give this a rest for a couple of years.

Beautiful Course Worth The Extra Dollars

This was my first time playing the Phoenician. Some people will compare the new layout to the old one but I have ncomparison to make. First off, I have to mention that we got the tee time in TeeOff.com for $82.00 each vs. The $160 on the Phoenicians website. That being said, I would have splurged and paid the full price after actually seeing the immaculate condition of the course. It’s a Troon managed course which pretty much says it all. I’ve never golfed a bad Troon course. The greens were pretty inconsistent as a result of the course renovation. Some were rock hard and laser fast while the next would be soft and slow. The general feeling around the club is pretty snooty and they definitely notice if you are a player who has booked with one of the online services. We overheard the staff at the bag drop mention the fact we were an online teetime. Overall the course was one of nicest courses I’ve played in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area.

Good course to play in Scottsdale area

The course is a simple and fairly easy lay-out with some challenging holes. Greens were hard and quite slick and would be a good golf experience, except for the pace of play of over 5h.

Suprise !!!!

They are closing next week for a year.

we were not told they have left the course un-maintained and closed 17th hole and shortened 18.

no marshal and we had 4 drunks behind us hitting into us. we finished in 4 hours.

Terrible Experience

My wife and I were visitors to The Phoenician golf course on Wednesday, December 27th. We booked a tee time online on Monday and we were aware that the course was beginning its renovation process on January 8th, 2018; however, the entire experience was one that has left us disappointed and quite frankly very upset.

We typically play on city courses as they are more affordable for us to visit on a more frequent basis, but today was a special occasion. I purchased the round of golf for my wife and I as a first wedding anniversary gift thinking that it would be a nice treat for us to play a luxury course and enjoy the amenities that come with that type of course. Unfortunately, I was sorely mistaken and I wish that I had chosen to visit the Biltmore Golf Course, which would have been $20 cheaper and of a much higher caliber.

To begin with, we were not greeted in any fashion upon walking up to the bag drop. A gentleman did take our bags from us but only after we stood there for a minute or so looking around for assistance. We were told to visit the pro shop, where the gentleman behind the counter was very nice. We decided to spend our time waiting for our tee time on the practice putting green, which was expertly maintained with luscious green grass. If only I could have played my entire round on that single practice green as that was the only real grass that I was to see for the rest of the day.

As our tee time approached we got into our cart and headed to the first tee. As we were about to get ready to tee off, from hole 1, an employee approached us and said that we were actually going off of 10 and that another employee had gone to collect our playing partners for the day. This was the first interaction we had with one of your employees in regards to our round of golf for the day and it was all very disorganized. Our playing partners were very nice and their company was appreciated; however, they only had one full set of clubs between the two of them. The female of the group only had two clubs with her, an iron and a putter, for the entire course. While they were both very nice, this would never be allowed on any course we've played before and it did slow down our pace of play as she proceeded to tee off of almost every hole, including the par 5's, with an iron.

Mentioning pace of play, I was astounded to be approached before we had even finished the second hole about our pace of play. The "course assistant" rolled up as we were making our way down the fairway and proceeded to tell us that we needed to catch up with the group in front as the course was very busy today. My wife and I had yet to adjust to the poor course conditions, and as mentioned above in regard to our partner's club situation, we were still able to catch up with the group ahead of us by the 4th hole, finishing the entire round only 4 minutes over Time Par. It would have been nice to have some more time to acclimate to the course before being hounded about our pace of play.

Speaking of poor course conditions, I was astonished to see that major construction had already started and that the upkeep of the entire course was far from what we saw advertised on their website. As I mentioned at the beginning, we were aware of the upcoming construction, which the website stated was set to begin on January 8th. That being said, we did not expect to come across drained, brown, and smelly lakes, and dying greens and fairways that had clearly been painted green in an attempt to hide their true condition. In addition to the fairways and greens being painted, the general upkeep of the grass was poor - there were many divots that had not been repaired on a majority of the greens, and some of the greens were lacking in general repair as there were piles of dirt on them and very uneven edges. Overal, the entire course lacked a clean and manicured appearance, making us wish we had saved our money and supported one of our local, city courses.

In the end, we just wanted the round of golf to be over and done with so that we could go home. I am upset that I wasted my money on this course to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and would not reccommend it to anyone looknig for a luxury round of golf.

Course is being altered

Going through a course design alteration , brown fairways. Not the Phoenician that it was last year.

Management letting course go

Phoenician is one of my favorite places to play so I was surprised by the condition of the course. The staff let me know that the course will be closing in a month for 10 months so they did not over seed the course so the rough was in terrible shape. The also spray painted parts of the course green. I understand not over seeding as the course is closing in January but knock the price down to summer rates as the course was not worth the price and there was no notice of this on Golf Now when I reserved a tee time.

gorgeous

Very beautiful and a little challenging. But worth it.

A very nice track

Good conditions with many choices per hole. Can’t wait for the redesign. If you can play it now. The par three in the back has one of the best views in the valley. Would suggest you get there early the breakfast burrito is great.

ready to shut down

they are shutting this course down in January. they should shut it down right now course looks terrible bad condition karts running poor. used to be one of the best courses in all of Phoenix. still getting Phoenician prices though. Buyer beware.

Course in Transition

The course in being changed from 27 holes to 18. We played 18 holes from 3 different 9holes course. Very confusing.to play. I would not recommend it..

Paradise Valley, Arizona
Phoenix, Arizona
Paradise Valley, Arizona

Valid dates: Mar 01, 2019 - Apr 21, 2019
Get a head start on Spring and experience true southern hospitality with championship golf and charming villas in beautiful South Carolina Lowcountry with the Spring Getaway.
6000 E Camelback Rd, Scottsdale, Arizona 85251, Maricopa County