Oasis/Desert at Phoenician, The

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Collared shirt and bermuda shorts required. No denim.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Championship 70 6310 yards 70.3 130
Phoenician 70 5842 yards 69.0 122
Forward (W) 70 5024 yards 69.7 113

The Desert/Oasis Course was the Phoenician's first 18 holes, which were later joined by the Canyon nine. The aptly named course may have desert surroundings but its numerous palm trees and blooming flowers will make golfers feel as though they've been transported to a tropical destination. Although all three golf courses cover only 150 acres, none of them feel cramped. Any lack of length is quickly forgotten after playing the creative challenges of the layout. The golf course offers plenty of variety that make it appealing to low and high handicappers alike. Dramatic elevation changes characterize the Desert nine, providing the breathtaking views that have led it to be the most requested course. The Oasis nine is memorable as well with water coming into play on six holes and a unique moat of sand on the par-4 finishing hole.

Location is convenient to the city at a resort near the airport   Great for wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge entertaining clients   Challenges include elevation changes water hazards bunkers   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

dicke22's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/02/2018

"Good course to play in Scottsdale area"

Fabio9987080's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/01/2018

The course is a simple and fairly easy lay-out with some challenging holes. Greens were hard and quite slick and would be a good golf experience, except for the pace of play of over 5h.

"Suprise !!!!"

Stashconners's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2017

They are closing next week for a year.

we were not told they have left the course un-maintained and closed 17th hole and shortened 18.

no marshal and we had 4 drunks behind us hitting into us. we finished in 4 hours.

"Terrible Experience"

tpopish's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/27/2017

My wife and I were visitors to The Phoenician golf course on Wednesday, December 27th. We booked a tee time online on Monday and we were aware that the course was beginning its renovation process on January 8th, 2018; however, the entire experience was one that has left us disappointed and quite frankly very upset.

We typically play on city courses as they are more affordable for us to visit on a more frequent basis, but today was a special occasion. I purchased the round of golf for my wife and I as a first wedding anniversary gift thinking that it would be a nice treat for us to play a luxury course and enjoy the amenities that come with that type of course. Unfortunately, I was sorely mistaken and I wish that I had chosen to visit the Biltmore Golf Course, which would have been $20 cheaper and of a much higher caliber.

To begin with, we were not greeted in any fashion upon walking up to the bag drop. A gentleman did take our bags from us but only after we stood there for a minute or so looking around for assistance. We were told to visit the pro shop, where the gentleman behind the counter was very nice. We decided to spend our time waiting for our tee time on the practice putting green, which was expertly maintained with luscious green grass. If only I could have played my entire round on that single practice green as that was the only real grass that I was to see for the rest of the day.

As our tee time approached we got into our cart and headed to the first tee. As we were about to get ready to tee off, from hole 1, an employee approached us and said that we were actually going off of 10 and that another employee had gone to collect our playing partners for the day. This was the first interaction we had with one of your employees in regards to our round of golf for the day and it was all very disorganized. Our playing partners were very nice and their company was appreciated; however, they only had one full set of clubs between the two of them. The female of the group only had two clubs with her, an iron and a putter, for the entire course. While they were both very nice, this would never be allowed on any course we've played before and it did slow down our pace of play as she proceeded to tee off of almost every hole, including the par 5's, with an iron.

Mentioning pace of play, I was astounded to be approached before we had even finished the second hole about our pace of play. The "course assistant" rolled up as we were making our way down the fairway and proceeded to tell us that we needed to catch up with the group in front as the course was very busy today. My wife and I had yet to adjust to the poor course conditions, and as mentioned above in regard to our partner's club situation, we were still able to catch up with the group ahead of us by the 4th hole, finishing the entire round only 4 minutes over Time Par. It would have been nice to have some more time to acclimate to the course before being hounded about our pace of play.

Speaking of poor course conditions, I was astonished to see that major construction had already started and that the upkeep of the entire course was far from what we saw advertised on their website. As I mentioned at the beginning, we were aware of the upcoming construction, which the website stated was set to begin on January 8th. That being said, we did not expect to come across drained, brown, and smelly lakes, and dying greens and fairways that had clearly been painted green in an attempt to hide their true condition. In addition to the fairways and greens being painted, the general upkeep of the grass was poor - there were many divots that had not been repaired on a majority of the greens, and some of the greens were lacking in general repair as there were piles of dirt on them and very uneven edges. Overal, the entire course lacked a clean and manicured appearance, making us wish we had saved our money and supported one of our local, city courses.

In the end, we just wanted the round of golf to be over and done with so that we could go home. I am upset that I wasted my money on this course to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and would not reccommend it to anyone looknig for a luxury round of golf.

CChamp1993's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/24/2017

"Course is being altered"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/10/2017

Going through a course design alteration , brown fairways. Not the Phoenician that it was last year.

Course Layout: Poor

"Management letting course go"

cra1068's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/09/2017

Phoenician is one of my favorite places to play so I was surprised by the condition of the course. The staff let me know that the course will be closing in a month for 10 months so they did not over seed the course so the rough was in terrible shape. The also spray painted parts of the course green. I understand not over seeding as the course is closing in January but knock the price down to summer rates as the course was not worth the price and there was no notice of this on Golf Now when I reserved a tee time.

"gorgeous"

Kaylla's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/28/2017

Very beautiful and a little challenging. But worth it.

"A very nice track"

Tbeilste's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/26/2017

Good conditions with many choices per hole. Can’t wait for the redesign. If you can play it now. The par three in the back has one of the best views in the valley. Would suggest you get there early the breakfast burrito is great.

"ready to shut down"

jmerillat's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/21/2017

they are shutting this course down in January. they should shut it down right now course looks terrible bad condition karts running poor. used to be one of the best courses in all of Phoenix. still getting Phoenician prices though. Buyer beware.

"Course in Transition"

lemkera's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/15/2017

The course in being changed from 27 holes to 18. We played 18 holes from 3 different 9holes course. Very confusing.to play. I would not recommend it..

"Don’t do this"

Joe5231903's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2017

This is no more than a $50 value. One course is about to be shut down and RE done.so they have you playing holes from 2 courses. Just not the normal situation. Grass not in good shape. You don’t realize any of this until you get there.

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2017

"Playable for all skill levels"

Kelsey07's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2017

I enjoyed the course. We played from the resort tees and the course was fair for a 17 handicap. I would play again.

"Very disappointed"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2017

I have played the Phoenician courses many times. We travel from the UK every year to Scottsdale and I look forward to playing the courses 2/3 times each trip. This time was disappointing. Nine holes of the twenty seven cannot now be played, permanently, as the land has been allocated for bulding houses. The remaining eighteen holes are made up by mix and matching the other two courses. Several of the holes had enormous drives in the cart to reach the next tee, one in fact was down the entrance road for the property. I was "beeped" by three cars that wanted to pass me, a potentially dangerous experience. The course itself was not up to the standard that I have expected over the many years of my playing there. The greens were woolley and slow. All the water ponds and streams were a muddy brown. There were many divots on the fairways and bare patches both on the fairways and in the rough areas. On one hole, on a hillside, a high, short par 3, the disc set into the ground measured 166yards whereas my GPS on the cart showed 132yards. My playing partners laughed at the misdirection. Conclusion-neither myself or my playing partners, locally based would return in the near future.

Phildor1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2017

"Fun, Fast Round - Course in Great Condition"

markdechant's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/08/2017

This was our second time playing the Phoenician's new layout and, as always, this is one of the most enjoyable courses in town. We teed off behind the first group, which were regulars and kept a whole in front of us throughout. We finished in just under 4 hours.

The Phoenician is a regular in our rotation because we've never been disappointed in the conditions, especially the greens. Even though this course gets plenty of play, there is rarely any variance in the greens. Always true lines, medium-fast speeds (maybe a 9 on the stimp), and we never seem to see a bad beat. You can roll in a flat or uphill 12-footer with confidence.

We mix in courses across the spectrum from a challenge standpoint, and this one of the 2 or 3 easiest courses in the rotation. It's short (6,000 Whites, 6,400 Blues/Back), many fairways are generous, and the sand is usually close to perfect (hard to find that in Phoenix). I usually improve my handicap trend here.

Some fun, challenging holes for sure: long, uphill par-3s, severe doglegs, blind tee shots, a reachable par-5 (16) and a number of water holes.

19th Hole was glorious. Any time you can play this course for under $80, it's a tremendous value.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2017

My wife and I played the course and enjoyed it very much. Excellent conditions and a great layout. Challenging without being punishing. My wife was able to enjoy her round from the forward tees. This course is fairly scenic but some others around town offer more spectacular views and at a bit more reasonable prices.

"Incontinuity of Play of 18 holes"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2017

The new course layout is terrible... I can provide recommendations in the course hole numbering/design if interested.

"Pace of play"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2017

This was the worst round, time wise! 5+ hours with no assistance from 'marshall' also very expensive to eat and have a drink!