Sedona Golf Resort

Sedona Golf Resort
Scorecard for Sedona
Blue M: 71.1/134 326 183 506 404 623 397 176 448 522 3585 210 380 559 394 171 439 417 155 336 3061 6646
White M: 68.5/126 W: 75.0/142 308 169 474 362 586 365 144 420 491 3319 171 341 533 373 145 427 390 131 297 2808 6127
Gold M: 66.1/117 W: 72.4/137 270 137 447 328 537 349 130 380 453 3031 162 314 512 349 138 385 360 113 288 2621 5652
Red W: 69.6/128 260 119 396 304 486 335 111 338 412 2761 149 284 439 284 113 341 343 95 266 2314 5075

Year Built 1988
Fairways Winter Rye Grass
Architect Gary Panks (1988) Wadsworth Golf Construction (1988)

Pull-carts No

Dress code No Dress Code.

Great time - will play again!

Had a fantastic round. Played later in the day and there was a threat of rain so had the course to ourselves. Course was in great shape with fantastic view of the red rocks on several holes.

Sedona golf resort

Played the course day after I played OakCreek. For the money OakCreek much better. Sedona Golf Resort gives no hot deals. The fairways had a lot of damage, had to move ball onto grass many times. Greens were quick and in good shape, bunkers had sand, this was much better than Oakcreek. Reason I gave it 3 stars was due to price paid was too high for poor fairways, that were water logged and had a lot of damage. Will not return will go back to Oakcreek!

Sedona Resort Rocks

Ridiculous course with majestic scenery and epic holes...

Arizona Advisor

Great Sedona area course

First time playing this much hyped course. Course met the expectations as the course is in great shape from tee to green. Greens are smooth receptive to approach shots and have enough slope to make putting interesting. Not overly quick but just the right speed for resort golf. Great facilities with excellent staff and would recommend to anyone visiting the area but try and get a deal from Golf Now because the normal greens fee can get pricey.

Great views, great layout and greens

Great mountain views and many elevated scenic tees. Beautiful sloping greens that were not too fast for the slopes. Excellent course condition. We loved how they spaced the tee times to start only when the prior group reached the first green. There was no waiting and no one rushing us. We played 36 holes, the first 18 was 3 hours, 2nd 18 was 4 hours.

Course has potential.

Just about everything that a fellow reviewer wrote below sums up my experience. See “hogans fundamentals” below.

Very soggy wet course where mud balls are common - so play lift,clean and place.

Have played it several times ( previously reviewed) and currently the course has regressed and suffers from lack of TLC.

But, it is a Resort course ( not championship caliber), so can be played by all handicap levels.

If I had to choose, Oakcreek, which is just up the street, is better.

On a positive note, the cart lady was great and the all the staff are friendly.

Most beautiful setting in Arizona

This track was fantastic. Most grass I've seen on a course in years. Few tight lies. Greens were perfect. Every shot held and left a ball mark. We did get hit with a thunderstorm on 16th tee that was so bad we could not play 18th hole. But the area needed rain more than I needed to finish. Can't wait to go back even though it is a 2 hour drive for me.This is such a beautiful setting that you need to focus on course which gets tougher the further you get into it.

Beautiful Red Rock vistas

A very nice course with great variety of holes. Lush conditions but the greens could be a little faster. Friendly staff with a great bar to share the round.

Denver Advisor

Play 36

I have played at Sedona Golf Resort about 12 times and each time I have played 36. The reason is that they only charge your for the cart on the second round. This makes for one of the best deals around.

As for the resort, they have it all. A restaurant, practice range, putting green and service with a smile. They are quite accommodating and have let me tee off early to get two rounds in during the winter.

The golf itself is good and the resort is great. You have good holes and a couple of greens which are challenging: most notably the 4th and 6th. The holes have variety as far as shot shaping and distance. A couple of short par 4s and balanced by long par 4s. A couple of short par 5s are balanced by a couple of three shotters. In other words, there are half par holes on both sides of par which keep things interesting. It is a good layout. There is also the fact that it is a par 34 and 37 on the back. This let's you know that the architect took what the land gave him versus trying to force two 36 nines.

The scenery is what will get most people's attention. The par 3 10th plays right at the red rocks. All holes have nice red rock and/or mountain views. If you like eye candy, this is a course for you. There is also nature in the form of Elk and a Bobcat.

As a golf course, this is a good one. As a total experience, this is a very good if not great one. If you are in Sedona and have your clubs, this is the place to go on a day you aren't hiking.

I think it is the best in the area; I have played in 6 different years and next time I am in Sedona, this is where I would play. Just do 36, at times, they throw in a half dozen balls and $15 towards food. Good place in a gorgeous location.

Disappointing. SHORT & WET with POOR service.

In comparison to nearby Oakcreek and Seven Canyons, this experience was very disappointing. Bag drop was deserted sixty minutes before my 08:18 tee time. The individual in the pro shop ignored me when I walked in, and disappeared behind a door for several minutes. When he returned, he said they were just starting up and I had to wait for him to prepare for the first transaction of the day. I indicated a willingness to get out ahead of the first group if possible and was told that would be impossible. I headed to the range, which is very short but otherwise acceptable. A while later, the starter came by to motivate and organize the first group and indicated hat he had let a single out ahead of them. Unfair/Inconsistent. As I waited, I searched for a practice green worthy of the name. Whoever is in charge here isn't fond of putting. Down at the range, there was a tiny, BUMPY, three hole affair with a no chipping sign that had not been mowed. Up near the patio and hard to find/reach, there is a skinny two hole green that by its placement off the beaten track suggests it's there for effect rather than actual practice. Neither of these two greens provided an appropriate preparation for the 18 greens which followed. The course is picturesque, with a few excellent visuals but I found nearby Oakcreek to be consistently prettier. The course was soggy. I was left with a LOT of sloppy, muddy wedges from the fairways. I understand the need to water, but I played nearby Oakcreek and Seven Canyons at the same time on the two previous days and had no such issues. Here, it was sometimes a challenge to find a firm stance on the tees, #4 especially, which felt like I was standing on a waterbed. I understand the need to rest or perform maintenance on teeing grounds, but today, so many of the rear tee markers were moved up (sometimes more than one box) that the rating/slope for this round is wildly inaccurate. The other courses mentioned provided an enjoyable "membership experience". I can't say the same for Sedona Golf Resort.

Really fun track

Played twice during a wedding weekend. Friday afternoon with three locals and Saturday early with our wedding party. The Friday round was great and the added local knowledge really helped on sightlines and putting. The late afternoon and early morning sun on the red rocks was awesome. Course a little soggy at certain areas but really didn’t bother me that much. Played the back (blue) tees Friday afternoon which made the par threes challenging. Moved up to white with wedding group Saturday morning which made a few more decisions off the tee for club selection. Also, my brother in law rode a motorized skateboard around on the Saturday round. Too cool and they love that experience. Restaurant and staff were great.

Wisconsin Advisor

The Spectacular views hide the course conditions

I was excited to play this course in anticipation of the views. I was a little worried when I read the last Sept review of poor course conditions because I was coming up from Phoenix so I called 6 days before I played and the very friendly receptionist said the course was in great shape so I booked two days later.

The Course:

Very playable track for golfers of all types. Not terribly long so the bombers will have keep the driver in the bag most of the time. Greens were in excellent condition and held shots very well. Plenty of undulation to challenge you and protect par. The elevation changes were plenty and you get a healthy does of it on hole #2 right away. #18 is a very short par 4 with a good risk reward strategy. Lay up, good chance at making birdie to an elevated, well protected green. Go for it and water, sand come into play that demands a precise tee shot.

Other than the greens, the rest of the course needed work. I do not know the maintenance schedule but the fairways were worn in some spots, rotting in others and in places very damp and soggy. That was very disappointing. Collection areas around the greens were soaked and deep, muddy maintenance cart tracks were found close the green. The couple I played with played Oak Creek the previous day and said that course was in much better condition. On hole #12 a maintenance worker was trimming rough right in the fairway and his cart was even more the fairway right in the landing zone of tee shots. He watched us tee off but never moved and was totally in play. I have never seen that before and was disappointed in the lack of courtesy (photo included)

Staff and surroundings

The staff was very nice and I tried the Golf Board for the first time. Very fun but takes some getting use to especially if you're not a surfer or a skier which I am not. It is now off my bucket list. You are pretty much paying for the views at this course and they are absolutely spectacular. Some of the best I've ever played in.

If you're serious about the course and conditions, you have to understand you may get disappointed. It's the views that made me give this course 4 instead of the 2.5 it deserved. They're that good.

Worth the drive

I stayed in Scottsdale and drove out for a 9:05tee time. It was about an hour and a half drive. Had breakfast at Red Rock Cafe, which is just outside the course and it was very good. The only reason I didn’t give the great course all five stars, is because there were more than a few wet spots. I had to really pay attention to where I was driving. With all the breath taking views, it was hard to pay attention!

I would definitely recommend playing this course!

Nice Course, Bad Conditions

Wife and I played here while in the area on vacation. We also played here about 5 years ago. The good? Staff very friendly. Well-stocked golf shop. Awesome views. Well-stocked bev cart (this is an out and back layout, you don't return to the clubhouse at the turn). The bad? Course conditions. I overheard someone say something about a fungus, but the fairways were in terrible condition. Many of the greens had significantly damaged portions. Bunkers need a lot of attention. We played 5 rounds in the area and this was, by far, the worst conditions and most expensive round of the trip. If they can get whatever is going on with the grass under control, it is a great track. Until then, not so much.

Excellent Course

Played with another single. Pace was great, played in 3 1/2 hours behind a threesome. Course conditions were prime the day we played. Greens were pristine. Loved the out and up for 9 then the down and in for 9 layout. Would highly recommend this course!

PURELY AWESOME

This will not be a long review since most other reviews give this place 5 stars. Absolutely excellent, serene, and jaw dropping. The property, staff, layout, conditions, were just amazing. Gonna touch on the pace of play, fully expecting a 5 hour round and while speaking with the starter he had the course booked from 7am-4pm solid with foursomes. I couldn't be happier with the pace of play, just over 4 hrs! On a packed resort golf course!

Idaho Advisor

Beautiful track, even without the stunning backdrop

Most of the reviews I have read about Sedona Golf Resort talk about a feature that is 5 or 7 miles (I’m guessing) away. Other than this paragraph, I’m not going to do that (much). Yes, the red rock cliffs are an amazing backdrop for a golf course; and, yes, there are some stunning views to take in (I spent the most time gawking at #8, but I’m told #10 is the signature hole and I can see what that might be… I was too busy fighting my way out from under a tree for a bogey to properly take it in). However, I think all of this does a disservice to what is a really nice golf course.

If you took the exact same 18 holes and put them in the middle of nowhere, the course would still be a pleasure to play. There are plenty of elevation changes, water and almost every putt has some break on it. I was waiting for the people in front of me to move from the fairway so I could tee off on #13 and a guy working on his roof shouted over to me “are you saying a quick prayer, a lot of people do from there” (I should mention I was hitting from the back tee’s). Looking down the narrow shoot at what appeared to be a rather skinny landing area (turns out it opens up a bit down there) was intimidating.

That’s what I felt like I experienced most of the way around the Sedona course. Tricky (but completely fair) looks and shots with plenty of challenge. The second hole drops off what must be 100 feet from tee to green and it is one of several holes that require you to not only be able to hit all the clubs in your bag, but to really know them as well (i.e. is a choked up 9 the best 150yrd club with a 2 club elevation change, or would a full wedge land better). As an example, I was hitting my 3 wood an average of 215-220 so the 336 yrd downhill 18th looked like a good chance to fire at the front of the green. However when I thought it through my 7 iron was the high reward low risk club. 224 yrds later, from the center of the fairway, I was a simple gap wedge away from the green.

You also don’t need to look away from the course for scenery. It is sculpted around a variety of trees, brush and really nice homes that blend into the surroundings. It is in excellent condition and groomed nearly flawlessly everywhere. The only thing resembling a complaint I had was that the bunkers were very watered down and played quite “thick” as a result… easy enough to avoid by not hitting a bad shot into them though, right?

Staff was great and accommodating. Once again getting out early (second group) I found the pace of play beyond good and actually impressive. I finished my round in 2:49 (playing alone) and only waited on the group in front of me on two holes (on one of which they were held up by sprinklers). The twosome behind me was right there until the last hole as well, so it wasn’t just the front two groups moving along.

As I mentioned above, I’d play this course if it were in the middle of the Nevada desert (or some suburban neighborhood, or whatever). I really enjoyed playing Sedona… and yeah, the red rock cliffs were pretty cool as well.

Obviously been updated - a lot

I have read some of the negative reviews and all I can say is that they have obviously done a whole heap of work on this course since these reviews were published. I had two pleasant round off both blues or whites, not massively punishing but still a challenge. As for the facilities the food was fantastic, the staff could not have been more friendly, and, while it was expensive, the views from some of the holes were breathtaking. I played with two different pairings and they had both played the 'better rated' Oak Creek Country Club and preferred Sedona. Therefore I highly recommend you try this for yourself with an open mind.

Nice layout in the "Vortex" of Sedona

Played this course after playing Seven Canyons. Enjoyed this round much better. Still a challenge but playable for most. Does not have the views of Seven Canyons but playability and staff make up for it. Fairways in shape and greens rolled true. Would definitely recommend. Hope to play again

Spectacular Scenery

Sedona Golf Resort is a fun layout with breathtaking scenery! The front 9 has three par 5 holes and plays to a par of 37. The first hole is a gradual uphill par 4 that is pretty basic and a good warmup for what is to come. Next you have a spectacular downhill par 3 that drops at least 100 feet from tee to green. While the measured distances seem long you'll need to go down one or two clubs due to the elevation change. As you continue on with the front 9, you wind your way through the foothills of Sedona with wonderful red rock views. The course does not wrap back by the clubhouse at the turn, once you are out you are there until done. The 10th hole is one of the most scenic around, a longer par 3 hole with red rocks behind and to the left. This is a sure photo opportunity. With a lot of elevation changes, this is one fun course and you can score well if you keep the ball in the fairway and can find the greens. The greens are a bit quick but roll true and were quite fair the day we played. We played in under four hours and at about the 12th hole, the marshall who had been by a couple of times stopped to tell us that the group in front would wait at the next tee for us to play through. We had one less player than that group and had been directly behind them all the round. While we were on a pace for 4 hours or just under, this was a nice surprise and welcomed. We finished in just over 3.5 hours and had a great time. The staff was friendly and helpful the entire time we were at the property. If you're in Sedona, I'd recommend a round at Sedona Golf Resort and I know that I'll return here next time I'm in town.

Cornville, Arizona