Sedona Golf Resort

• 35 Ridge Trail Dr, Sedona, Arizona 86351
  • sedonagolfresort.com
Write Review

Year built: 1988
Architect(s): Gary Panks (1988), Wadsworth Golf Construction (1988)
Type: Resort
Style: Desert/Traditional
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Winter Rye Grass

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: Yes

Dress code: No Dress Code.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Location is at a resort worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include bunkers   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks patio dining

"Beautiful Red Rock vistas"

Blackcld's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2018

A very nice course with great variety of holes. Lush conditions but the greens could be a little faster. Friendly staff with a great bar to share the round.

"Play 36"

JeffArenson's avatar
Denver Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/31/2017

I have played at Sedona Golf Resort about 12 times and each time I have played 36. The reason is that they only charge your for the cart on the second round. This makes for one of the best deals around.

As for the resort, they have it all. A restaurant, practice range, putting green and service with a smile. They are quite accommodating and have let me tee off early to get two rounds in during the winter.

The golf itself is good and the resort is great. You have good holes and a couple of greens which are challenging: most notably the 4th and 6th. The holes have variety as far as shot shaping and distance. A couple of short par 4s and balanced by long par 4s. A couple of short par 5s are balanced by a couple of three shotters. In other words, there are half par holes on both sides of par which keep things interesting. It is a good layout. There is also the fact that it is a par 34 and 37 on the back. This let's you know that the architect took what the land gave him versus trying to force two 36 nines.

The scenery is what will get most people's attention. The par 3 10th plays right at the red rocks. All holes have nice red rock and/or mountain views. If you like eye candy, this is a course for you. There is also nature in the form of Elk and a Bobcat.

As a golf course, this is a good one. As a total experience, this is a very good if not great one. If you are in Sedona and have your clubs, this is the place to go on a day you aren't hiking.

I think it is the best in the area; I have played in 6 different years and next time I am in Sedona, this is where I would play. Just do 36, at times, they throw in a half dozen balls and $15 towards food. Good place in a gorgeous location.

"Disappointing. SHORT & WET with POOR service."

HogansFundamentals's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2017

In comparison to nearby Oakcreek and Seven Canyons, this experience was very disappointing. Bag drop was deserted sixty minutes before my 08:18 tee time. The individual in the pro shop ignored me when I walked in, and disappeared behind a door for several minutes. When he returned, he said they were just starting up and I had to wait for him to prepare for the first transaction of the day. I indicated a willingness to get out ahead of the first group if possible and was told that would be impossible. I headed to the range, which is very short but otherwise acceptable. A while later, the starter came by to motivate and organize the first group and indicated hat he had let a single out ahead of them. Unfair/Inconsistent. As I waited, I searched for a practice green worthy of the name. Whoever is in charge here isn't fond of putting. Down at the range, there was a tiny, BUMPY, three hole affair with a no chipping sign that had not been mowed. Up near the patio and hard to find/reach, there is a skinny two hole green that by its placement off the beaten track suggests it's there for effect rather than actual practice. Neither of these two greens provided an appropriate preparation for the 18 greens which followed. The course is picturesque, with a few excellent visuals but I found nearby Oakcreek to be consistently prettier. The course was soggy. I was left with a LOT of sloppy, muddy wedges from the fairways. I understand the need to water, but I played nearby Oakcreek and Seven Canyons at the same time on the two previous days and had no such issues. Here, it was sometimes a challenge to find a firm stance on the tees, #4 especially, which felt like I was standing on a waterbed. I understand the need to rest or perform maintenance on teeing grounds, but today, so many of the rear tee markers were moved up (sometimes more than one box) that the rating/slope for this round is wildly inaccurate. The other courses mentioned provided an enjoyable "membership experience". I can't say the same for Sedona Golf Resort.

Course Layout: Poor

Course Difficulty:  Extremely Easy

"Really fun track"

Longhorn81's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2017

Played twice during a wedding weekend. Friday afternoon with three locals and Saturday early with our wedding party. The Friday round was great and the added local knowledge really helped on sightlines and putting. The late afternoon and early morning sun on the red rocks was awesome. Course a little soggy at certain areas but really didn’t bother me that much. Played the back (blue) tees Friday afternoon which made the par threes challenging. Moved up to white with wedding group Saturday morning which made a few more decisions off the tee for club selection. Also, my brother in law rode a motorized skateboard around on the Saturday round. Too cool and they love that experience. Restaurant and staff were great.

"The Spectacular views hide the course conditions"

polishpal's avatar
Wisconsin Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

I was excited to play this course in anticipation of the views. I was a little worried when I read the last Sept review of poor course conditions because I was coming up from Phoenix so I called 6 days before I played and the very friendly receptionist said the course was in great shape so I booked two days later.

The Course:

Very playable track for golfers of all types. Not terribly long so the bombers will have keep the driver in the bag most of the time. Greens were in excellent condition and held shots very well. Plenty of undulation to challenge you and protect par. The elevation changes were plenty and you get a healthy does of it on hole #2 right away. #18 is a very short par 4 with a good risk reward strategy. Lay up, good chance at making birdie to an elevated, well protected green. Go for it and water, sand come into play that demands a precise tee shot.

Other than the greens, the rest of the course needed work. I do not know the maintenance schedule but the fairways were worn in some spots, rotting in others and in places very damp and soggy. That was very disappointing. Collection areas around the greens were soaked and deep, muddy maintenance cart tracks were found close the green. The couple I played with played Oak Creek the previous day and said that course was in much better condition. On hole #12 a maintenance worker was trimming rough right in the fairway and his cart was even more the fairway right in the landing zone of tee shots. He watched us tee off but never moved and was totally in play. I have never seen that before and was disappointed in the lack of courtesy (photo included)

Staff and surroundings

The staff was very nice and I tried the Golf Board for the first time. Very fun but takes some getting use to especially if you're not a surfer or a skier which I am not. It is now off my bucket list. You are pretty much paying for the views at this course and they are absolutely spectacular. Some of the best I've ever played in.

If you're serious about the course and conditions, you have to understand you may get disappointed. It's the views that made me give this course 4 instead of the 2.5 it deserved. They're that good.

"Worth the drive"

golfinskier's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2017

I stayed in Scottsdale and drove out for a 9:05tee time. It was about an hour and a half drive. Had breakfast at Red Rock Cafe, which is just outside the course and it was very good. The only reason I didn’t give the great course all five stars, is because there were more than a few wet spots. I had to really pay attention to where I was driving. With all the breath taking views, it was hard to pay attention!

I would definitely recommend playing this course!

"Nice Course, Bad Conditions"

FlyingChief's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2017

Wife and I played here while in the area on vacation. We also played here about 5 years ago. The good? Staff very friendly. Well-stocked golf shop. Awesome views. Well-stocked bev cart (this is an out and back layout, you don't return to the clubhouse at the turn). The bad? Course conditions. I overheard someone say something about a fungus, but the fairways were in terrible condition. Many of the greens had significantly damaged portions. Bunkers need a lot of attention. We played 5 rounds in the area and this was, by far, the worst conditions and most expensive round of the trip. If they can get whatever is going on with the grass under control, it is a great track. Until then, not so much.

"Excellent Course"

LangCascade's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017

Played with another single. Pace was great, played in 3 1/2 hours behind a threesome. Course conditions were prime the day we played. Greens were pristine. Loved the out and up for 9 then the down and in for 9 layout. Would highly recommend this course!

"PURELY AWESOME"

mcarlson0522's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2017

This will not be a long review since most other reviews give this place 5 stars. Absolutely excellent, serene, and jaw dropping. The property, staff, layout, conditions, were just amazing. Gonna touch on the pace of play, fully expecting a 5 hour round and while speaking with the starter he had the course booked from 7am-4pm solid with foursomes. I couldn't be happier with the pace of play, just over 4 hrs! On a packed resort golf course!

"Beautiful track, even without the stunning backdrop"

sorenj's avatar
Idaho Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2017

Most of the reviews I have read about Sedona Golf Resort talk about a feature that is 5 or 7 miles (I’m guessing) away. Other than this paragraph, I’m not going to do that (much). Yes, the red rock cliffs are an amazing backdrop for a golf course; and, yes, there are some stunning views to take in (I spent the most time gawking at #8, but I’m told #10 is the signature hole and I can see what that might be… I was too busy fighting my way out from under a tree for a bogey to properly take it in). However, I think all of this does a disservice to what is a really nice golf course.

If you took the exact same 18 holes and put them in the middle of nowhere, the course would still be a pleasure to play. There are plenty of elevation changes, water and almost every putt has some break on it. I was waiting for the people in front of me to move from the fairway so I could tee off on #13 and a guy working on his roof shouted over to me “are you saying a quick prayer, a lot of people do from there” (I should mention I was hitting from the back tee’s). Looking down the narrow shoot at what appeared to be a rather skinny landing area (turns out it opens up a bit down there) was intimidating.

That’s what I felt like I experienced most of the way around the Sedona course. Tricky (but completely fair) looks and shots with plenty of challenge. The second hole drops off what must be 100 feet from tee to green and it is one of several holes that require you to not only be able to hit all the clubs in your bag, but to really know them as well (i.e. is a choked up 9 the best 150yrd club with a 2 club elevation change, or would a full wedge land better). As an example, I was hitting my 3 wood an average of 215-220 so the 336 yrd downhill 18th looked like a good chance to fire at the front of the green. However when I thought it through my 7 iron was the high reward low risk club. 224 yrds later, from the center of the fairway, I was a simple gap wedge away from the green.

You also don’t need to look away from the course for scenery. It is sculpted around a variety of trees, brush and really nice homes that blend into the surroundings. It is in excellent condition and groomed nearly flawlessly everywhere. The only thing resembling a complaint I had was that the bunkers were very watered down and played quite “thick” as a result… easy enough to avoid by not hitting a bad shot into them though, right?

Staff was great and accommodating. Once again getting out early (second group) I found the pace of play beyond good and actually impressive. I finished my round in 2:49 (playing alone) and only waited on the group in front of me on two holes (on one of which they were held up by sprinklers). The twosome behind me was right there until the last hole as well, so it wasn’t just the front two groups moving along.

As I mentioned above, I’d play this course if it were in the middle of the Nevada desert (or some suburban neighborhood, or whatever). I really enjoyed playing Sedona… and yeah, the red rock cliffs were pretty cool as well.

"Obviously been updated - a lot"

Petemccurry's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2017

I have read some of the negative reviews and all I can say is that they have obviously done a whole heap of work on this course since these reviews were published. I had two pleasant round off both blues or whites, not massively punishing but still a challenge. As for the facilities the food was fantastic, the staff could not have been more friendly, and, while it was expensive, the views from some of the holes were breathtaking. I played with two different pairings and they had both played the 'better rated' Oak Creek Country Club and preferred Sedona. Therefore I highly recommend you try this for yourself with an open mind.

"Nice layout in the "Vortex" of Sedona"

RPG00's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2016

Played this course after playing Seven Canyons. Enjoyed this round much better. Still a challenge but playable for most. Does not have the views of Seven Canyons but playability and staff make up for it. Fairways in shape and greens rolled true. Would definitely recommend. Hope to play again

"Spectacular Scenery"

acesxthree's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/22/2015

Sedona Golf Resort is a fun layout with breathtaking scenery! The front 9 has three par 5 holes and plays to a par of 37. The first hole is a gradual uphill par 4 that is pretty basic and a good warmup for what is to come. Next you have a spectacular downhill par 3 that drops at least 100 feet from tee to green. While the measured distances seem long you'll need to go down one or two clubs due to the elevation change. As you continue on with the front 9, you wind your way through the foothills of Sedona with wonderful red rock views.

The course does not wrap back by the clubhouse at the turn, once you are out you are there until done. The 10th hole is one of the most scenic around, a longer par 3 hole with red rocks behind and to the left. This is a sure photo opportunity.

With a lot of elevation changes, this is one fun course and you can score well if you keep the ball in the fairway and can find the greens. The greens are a bit quick but roll true and were quite fair the day we played.

We played in under four hours and at about the 12th hole, the marshall who had been by a couple of times stopped to tell us that the group in front would wait at the next tee for us to play through. We had one less player than that group and had been directly behind them all the round. While we were on a pace for 4 hours or just under, this was a nice surprise and welcomed. We finished in just over 3.5 hours and had a great time.

The staff was friendly and helpful the entire time we were at the property.

If you're in Sedona, I'd recommend a round at Sedona Golf Resort and I know that I'll return here next time I'm in town.

"has really gone down,not worth the price"

desertgolfer2882's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

first was quoted a $47.00 price on their website,when I got the the guy in the pro shop said it was wrong and it is:$62.00,said i'm giving you a break normally $70.00,since I drove up from phoenix,played the course,used to be good,not anymore,no sand in the bunkers and haven't been raked at all,cart girl saw us in the 5th hole and I asked how many more time she would be around,said this is it no more:@2:45pm,no marshalls at all waited on every tee bax after about the 6th or 7th hole,lots of ball marks on the greens and the fairways in some places mud bogs,not what I was expecting from this golf course,used to be in excellent shape,WILL NOT GO BACK ..

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"Sedona's Most Overhyped Golf Course"

aphexknox's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Sedona Golf Resort was, a long time ago, a spectacular place to play. Not because of the design, nor due to shot values... both of which ARE better than average. Simply put, the incredible views are unlike any other course, anywhere. (Then we got Seven Canyons!) Dramatic elevation changes allow for sight lines that are breathtaking, no doubt. But one comes to a screeching halt when you look at just HOW goofy some on the holes are (beginning with number one)... Much less the routing of par 37 on the front nine and 34 on the back. Then you take into account course conditions, the overworked staff and you have to come to the conclusion that Sedona Golf Resort has seen much better days in the past.

One of the difficulties that you cannot get past lies in the golf course architecture, itself. It's the desert Southwest (this is NO desert course - it's high desert, maybe) and that means, if you play golf, your going to be playing one of the numerous designs by Mr. Gary Panks that exist in Arizona. Nothing personal about him, but his designs are just NOT that great...at all. His two best courses, perhaps, are in Phoenix: The Talon Course at Grayhawk (back when he was paired with newly-inducted Golf Hall of Fame member, David Graham) was the site of the Andersen Consulting World Championship of Golf, the progenitor of the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship. The Raven (formerly The Raven Golf Club at South Mountain) was also designed by the Graham-Panks duo. One of the most unique elements of the course are the 7,000 or so pine trees that line the fairways of the course. Needless to say, in the Sonoran Desert, pine trees are generally not a hazard one has to contend with. But the fall-off from those two courses to the rest of Gary Panks Associates portfolio is precipitous: His designs rarely are intriguing. They are much closer to pedestrian, save for his penchant towards brutal bunkering the likes of which Poe could write about.

Pank's fairway bunkering can just get out of hand, as evidenced by the rework that was done on his Aguila Golf Course in Laveen, a southern suburb of Phoenix. Ostensibly renovated due to deterioration, the fact of the matter was that some of the bunkers were almost unplayable, leading to brutal group mashups on holes nine and eighteen. Say hello to Mr. Five Hour round. As for bunkers protecting greens, they, often times, were even worse (see The Legacy in Phoenix, next door to The Raven): Faces that are horizontally steep, sculpted and scalloped to the point of overkill, with no real entry or exit points. Say Bataan Death march quietly three times and click your spikes together. The same stands true for Sedona Golf Resort.

While trying to maintain the ambiance of the Red Rock experience of Sedona, the sand in the bunkers is a reddish clay based mixture. It is hard to play out of consistently because it is so clumpily inconsistent. Pank's also loves multi-tiered greens, yet he also likes to build them small. That's all fine and good if you have playable lies when you have missed one of the greens but too often that is not the case. While the rest of the course rarely ever suffers from too much water, the surrounds of the greens almost ALWAYS do. So, you're either faced with heavy, thick collars of blue grass rough, OR closely-mown bent grass that is sopping wet and spongy. More than once I've played a shot like an explosion out of a bunker off of those lies than I have trying to nip clean a Phil Phlopper, leaving me to be a sod farmer, instead.

Finally, as the course gets significant tourist play, the marshaling is next to ineffective. Pace of play is often brutally slow. Primarily the player at Sedona Golf Resort is playing it with their camera in hand, their handicap thrown out the side of the cart after the 5th hole and more beverages than are necessary. They're on vacation, don't you know? Getting them to move along isn't part of the gig. Nor is asking them to make sure to repair their ball marks. A few of the greens which receive a brunt of the shots are eternally pockmarked. Certainly that is not an exclusive to Sedona Golf Resort, but I have seen courses invest a few dollars in hiring additional grounds staff to repair them in the early morning or late evening. Not here...

OB Sports has managed the course since 2010, taking over for SunCor Golf when they crashed and burned the previous year. Perhaps that's where the real heat should placed. Not everyone can run a Troon. Nor even a ClubCorp. But one should be able to do better than an American Golf. That's the real puzzler: Orrin Vincent and Ed Francese are two deeply respected men in the game of golf. OB Sports manages some extraordinary properties, too: The Rim Golf Club in Payson, AZ; Monarch Beach Golf Links in Dana Point, CA; Somerby Golf Course in Rochester, MN and Tetherow Golf Club in Bend, OR. It's apparent that OB Sports has an affinity for quality conditions when you look at those golf courses. They have a terrific VP of Agronomy in Like Beardmore. Let's hope they hear more about what it is like to ACTUALLY play Sedona Golf Resort and invest a bit more into the course. The vacationing resort players may not see the difference but the returning players from Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff and Las Vegas who make more than just the occasional trek to Sedona might be more inclined to include Sedona Golf Resort in their rota than they do now.

Commented on 05/29/2016

Thank you! Finally a real golf review instead of some tourist's stroll through the red rock. I'll save my camera for the hikes and look for a worthy course, even if that means Scottsdale. Appreciate your taking the time to write a worthy evaluation.

"Great Desert Course"

CheshireDog's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This course takes full advantage of the gorgeous views of surrounding Sedona. It is in good condition for a desert course. The staff was helpful and facilities were more than adequate. We stayed at the hotel and enjoyed our accomodations. The pace was a bit slower than we would have liked, as we were waiting on virtually every shot. Also, at just over 6,000 yards from the whites, the course did play very short. This led to my best score in years.

"Beautiful course!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Very picturesque course, and a pleasure to play. Quite challenging, great views, great pace of play.

We loved it and can't wait to visit again!

"Pristine conditions"

stephen5327115's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2015

Very beautiful course, immaculate conditions. Nice variety of holes. Pace of play was slow; I guess to be expected on a resort course with many novice players.

"Great golf course, better views!"

PhilErtl's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Wonderful golf course with enough challenge to make it worthwhile for the majority of golfers. Sometimes hard to keep your mind on your game as you scan the horizon and enjoy the beauty of your surroundings.

Well worth the time and effort to enjoy.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Beautiful Course"

Mary8314012's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This is the most beautiful course in Northern Arizona! Period!!!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent