Cahoon Plantation Golf Club

Cahoon Plantation in Chesapeake originally opened with a 27-hole layout but it has seen a major transformation since opening. One of the nines was eliminated and the flat terrain was molded into a gently rolling championship layout. The golf course has mostly parkland holes but there are some that have a links-feel, guaranteeing that there's enough variety to please any golfer. The layout is mostly wide open with very few trees to obscure the views. Water comes into play frequently throughout the golf course and there are a few strategically placed bunkers as well. The 15th hole is Cahoon Plantation's best par 3. The green is well protected by bunkers and a small pond but there is still an opportunity for a birdie, which will probably be your last chance for one before you face the difficult closing stretch of holes.
Cahoon Plantation Golf Course
Scorecard for Cahoon Plantation Golf Course
Black M: 75.1/141 393 617 407 180 467 319 583 228 445 3639 192 401 410 468 529 137 393 411 561 3502 7141
Blue M: 72.0/132 371 560 371 160 419 294 503 189 370 3237 171 356 376 428 498 120 363 373 534 3219 6456
White M: 69.4/126 W: 76.2/135 337 515 332 141 374 274 488 153 334 2948 152 338 339 389 465 105 325 340 470 2923 5871
Yellow M: 67.5/120 W: 73.8/131 318 458 320 135 338 268 415 146 305 2703 149 329 333 350 428 102 316 309 427 2743 5446
Red M: 64.9/115 W: 71.0/124 295 444 282 114 321 231 335 126 250 2398 120 278 296 344 422 89 265 283 434 2531 4929

Year Built 1999

Golf School Academy Yes - "Michelle Holmes School of Golf"
Practice Hole Yes

Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire. Collared shirt and slacks or shorts for gentlemen and skirts/slacks for ladies required.

Dial Up Your Wedges

Both my wife I loved the layout and look forward to another round at Cahoon Plantation. Recent rains made the course soggy, but it still played well. Nice greens, somewhat tight fairways, and challenging wedge shots make for a fun 18 holes.

Course Conditions

I hadn't played this course for about 8 months and was surprisked by how much the course had deteriorated. There were a lot of bare spots on the fairways and the rough along with other areas were overgrown. The course wasn't worth the $20 or so dollars that I paid to play.

Love this course

Challenging for me as I usually shoot 90s but the course layout is interesting and fun. Wish they had a refreshment cart running on such a hot day but nice cold water available on many holes and we got snacks at the turn.

Nice Couse

This course has bent grass greens and fairways. They need to remind people to fix their divots. Very challenging but fun course to play. I played the white tees. Played with a guy that played the back tees he had some very challenging tee shots. There are many sets of tees for all levels of play. Greens rolled well even though they had been aereated. I was amazed at how may ball marks were not repaired on green and fairways. I would recommend this course.

Excellent course!

One of the nicer courses in Tide Water area of Virginia. Beautiful fairways and greens!!!

It is a great course..

Although a great course, they need better course management. Golfers were driving the golf carts all over the course. The rough was a little long; we spent too much time looking for balls that just missed the fairway.

Cahoon

A great course with penalizing rough. Greens are always in good condition. On weekends they book groups to close together for their layout and 6 hour rounds are not uncommon. All in all, a good course.

Great

Course was in awesome shape! Very, very nice! Greens would punch even with the softest lay up shots. The only downfall was the mosquito’s, but once we put some bug spray on it was good. Loved the course and if I were from here I’d play here a lot!

Best public course in the area. Very well maintained. Great layout. This is a regular course for me.

Great value

Picked up the tee time on hot deals. Great value. Course in good condition. Some tee boxes chewed up a little but the fairways and greens in great condition. Rough is very challenging and long. Just stay in the fairway if you can. Greens are pretty fast and I recommend that you take your time a really look the putt over . One of the better courses in Hampton Roads.

Great course to play. Everything from the fairways to the greens were in great conditions. The staff were extremely friendly, the best I have seen this year, including Florida which is where I live and I play three to four times a week. They gave me a military discount for Veterans Day on a cap. I will play this again when I am in the area.

When this course first opened it was one of my favorites in the Southside area of Hampton Roads. After a while course conditions declined, and for the cost, wasn't really worth playing. In recent years the course's conditions have approved, and it's a great course to play for the average to above average golfer. The greens are in excellent condition and the fairways are on the edge of being in great condition. The rough is very difficult compared to other courses in the area, but I embrace the challenge of staying in fairways. The only downside to playing this course was the pace of play. It almost took 5 hours to play my round, but it was Memorial Day weekend, so I wouldn't read too much into the slow pace of play on a typical "in season" weekend. Overall, if your up for a challenging course, in great condition, give this course a try.

Wade Landers is trash

Absolutely terrible staff. Cahoon had us paired with another two-some to play and when we arrived three minutes early at 1 tee the starter had already let off he two-some that was supposed to play with us and was about to let two more foursomes go as well. This caused the entire course to slow to a crawl and it is a regular occurrence. The clientele has also gone downhill as the owner lets his friends play at will. I have first stand stories of his buddies assaulting people on the course, the super running over geese with a golf cart, and shotgunning them in the middle of the day. Don’t play here, don’t give them your money. Instead, go over to Battlefield if you want a links experience with a great and friendly staff. This awful track can’t close fast enough.

Cahoon in the morning

Played early on Tuesday. Course was in very good shape. Greens are great. Caught up to foursome on 11 and that slowed up the back nine, but otherwise, a nice day and a nice course.

Great value, I booked our foursome as we were traveling down to th outerbanks on the same day.

The overall value was outstanding and it was worth booking this "Featured Course", best golf purchase I have made signing up as a VIP member!

Nice course, pros a D***!!!!

Very rude stuck up golf professional. Believe his name is Dan? Stay away

Let down!

Over the last two years in my opinion Calhoon Plantation is that the course has be one of the best kept secret and the condition of the golf course WAS impeccable. But this time the condition of the fairways was suprisely average. I guess the online deals have finally taken their toll on the fairways. My round only cost $26.00 dollars.After the first hole I had to wait for the one of the grounds crew to cut or perform maintenance on every green until I reached hole 18. I could not believe the guy would not defer to me and let me just hit my approach shot. It was frustrating to know that after every drive I had to wait for a maintenance guy to clear the green. I should have called the Pro Shop. Again my cost was less that $30.00 which minimized my disappoint in the condition of the fairways and lack the of foresight and self awareness from the maintenance guy. His focus was on maintaining or recondioning the green instead of letting a customer play through. It was the worst experience I ever had playing there, but I will not let one bad experience keep me from coming back.

Great folks

Green grass when the local Bermuda is still brown. Some tight parallel fairways, but friendly staff and good margaritas more than compensate.

Suffolk, Virginia