ASU Karsten Golf Course

3.2016764706 3.2 stars from 5 (331)

• 1125 E Rio Salado Pkwy, Tempe, Arizona 85281, Maricopa County
  • asukarsten.com

Year built: 1989
Architect(s): Pete Dye (1989), Perry Dye (1989)
Type: Public
Style: Traditional
Greens: TiffDwarf Grass
Fairways: TiffDwarf Grass

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: No

Golf school / academy: Yes - "PING Learning Center"

Dress code: Collared golf shirt, shorts if worn must be mid-thigh and hemmed, no denim, no tee shirts or athletic wear.
Credit cards accepted: Visa, American Express, Mastercard and Discover

Professional 70 7002 yards 73.8 131
Champion (W) 70 7002 yards 76.1 132
Champion 70 6288 yards 70.3 124
Regular 70 5671 yards 67.4 115
Regular (W) 70 5671 yards 72.8 127
Forward 70 4765 yards 62.7 103
Forward (W) 70 4765 yards 67.7 115

ASU Karsten Golf Course features a Pete and Perry Dye-designed links-style course characterized by design features that challenge, such as Dye's mounding and bunkering - making it important to pick the right golf clubs if you don't want to run up that score. Big-name PGA and LPGA Tour golfers like Phil Mickelson, Billy Mayfair and Grace Park have all played this course.

ASU Karsten Golf Course offers several holes one could call "signature," such as the short par-4 fourth, the tough par-4 ninth, the daunting par-3 16th (248 yards from the tips) and the challenging par-4 final hole. The water on the left side is the reason this is called one of Arizona's most difficult finishers.

After a round at the ASU Karsten Golf Course, check out the 21,000-square-foot Sun Angel Clubhouse, which tempts players with its Southwestern and American fare in the Trophy Room.

Location is on a college campus convenient to the city near the airport   Great for advanced golfers locals playing multiple courses   Challenges include bunkers water hazards narrow fairways   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"Greens"

BryanDavis's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/19/2018

The greens were quite long and didn’t play very true

"Don't do it !!!!"

edinburghs's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2018

I have played there many times in the past 10 years,this is absolutely the worst conditions I have seen in a Arizona golf course in a long... long time.the first problem is the price,then they charge $8 for range balls,that are sub par to say the least.then you tee off.... which is ok ish !! Then you get to the green,which only half of it has something close to grass,maybe the next hole won't be so bad... wrong.... the front 9 holes on this course should be closed down,not even worth trying to play.conditions were ridiculous at best.the cart paths are all buckling up,you need to slow down to get over the humps.then you get to the back 9... I have to say is a little better than the front 9... not much... but a little.a very little.... then I looked at the score card and realized that Pete Dye designed that course,unbelievable,I guarantee he does not know the condition it's in now,nobody would put their name to that course at all,not even me !!! Anyone paying more than '$20 including practice balls,should assume they have been ripped off.i will never play this course or recommend it to anyone ever again.

Course Layout: Poor

"About to be abandoned?"

Sgrubman's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2018

I had heard the ASU course will be developed into a non-golf use in the near future. As such, I wanted to play a college course. I figured the price would be reasonable since late May in Phoenix can be hot and since it was ASU’s course, it seemed too good to pass up. I was prepared for baked and hard conditions but not for greens missing half of their turf. Like most public available tracks, I’m not surprised by unfixed divots, ball marks on the greens, and unrated bunkers, but I do expect greens to be mowed. Some were shaggy, others bare. It looked like the decision has been made to cut maintenance to a minimum.

I liked the layout. Lots of short but tight holes requiring well placed shots. I could see where the greens used to be a challenge when the place was in its prime. A significant amount of water hazards make some approaches intimidating.

Overall, I found the course neglected.

"No go"

twdonnelly's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2018

A once hallowed course is not even a shadow of itself.

I have never seen such poorly maintained/burnt out greens.

Sell the thing already and move on

Do not waste your money

"What Happened to Karsten?"

jecphx's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2018

I am an ASU alum, avid golfer and have been playing this course since it opened.

I was shocked at how neglected and decrepit it has become. The greens are horrible and bare in places. It looks like they water this course with an eye dropper.

I booked this because the $55 green feel looked like a bargain. It was not. It was July Encanto conditions at a price four times higher.

"She gon!"

Tuketown's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2018

I have been playing this course for over 20 years. This was my swan song here. Greens were beyond transition, was not even worth putting. Understand the focus is Papago but was sad to see it in this condition.

blawless34's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018

Greens had been punched recently so not in great shape but overall the course was challenging and fun.

"This Place is really going DOWNHILL"

Time4TeeinAZ's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2018

I have played her a number of times, it hasn't been great but it's been ok, But it is for sure going downhill, I played here a couple of months ago in February when most courses are in Great shape in AZ, it was so so. Today May 2nd a friend called and wanted me to go play, so we met up. The weather was Perfect, 78 in May is a dream but the course was a nightmare, from the get go the staff seemed a bit like jerks and the course was in mediocre shape, and the putting surfaces were like putting in the parking lot, the front 9 were rock hard and it hasn't been that hot yet so the greenskeepers are just not doing a good job. On the back 9 a few were in decent shape where you didn't feel like you were putting on concrete. The pace of play was terrible, slow on the front and on the back 9 we were waiting 5-8 minutes on every hole. Needless to say this is the last straw for this course, I will take my money elsewhere, like Legacy and the Raven

"Indifferent staff"

Johnrobinson64's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2018

From some of what I have read this may be near the end for this course. So that would certainly explain the indifferent attitude from the staff. The layout is short and fun and also has some good local history. Location is noisy between highway and airport plus construction. Some parts in very nice shape and some beat up as others have stated in recent reviews.

My main complaint is them taking a 630 tee time with a large tournament in shotgun scramble format at 8 am. This wasn't disclosed until we had all paid and were literally on way to first tee. I would never have booked it knowing that and neither would anyone. When I called from my cart to pro shop they told me it's their right to maximize rounds on course. Really?

Front nine flew as it should with no one in front of us. Back nine we hit the log jam and had to fit in between the big group with 5-10 minute delays on every hole. Wasn't the players fault and they were ok. But sitting and waiting isn't why I book sunrise tee time.

After round I calmly asked for some form of credit in pro shop since none of us were from area. He said we played in decent enough time. So we should be satisfied, without making eye contact. I asked again saying it was not cool to book times backed up to this event. He said I can give you nine hole green fee future credit. I repeated that we were all from out of town, how about something inexpensive like a hat or visor? He says if you need a hat that bad go ahead and take one. Again without much eye contact. Zero customer service or care for customer. We took the hats for the history here not for the great experience.

I'd say we won't come back,but maybe it's gone next year when ASU moves to Papago, a course I will always play when in town. With much better location and staff.

"not good"

Stuarti's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2018

What happened to this course. Bunkers are unmaintained and the rough is dead. Winter grass is dying because of heat they say. and yet lots of other courses are fine to fair. maybe it is colder at all the other courses. Too bad - great layout.

"March 2018"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2018

ASU Karsten is one of our favorite courses in the Phoenix area. We were in the area to watch the Kansas City Royals in spring training with siblings and their spouses. We only had time for one round of golf this year and we chose ASU Karsten.

douggast's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2018

"Historic Round"

macho5's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2018

Course was obviously lacking maintanence. Course closing at years end no need to Put in pristine condition. Play for history only

"Getting neglected"

Charles5509144's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2018

ASU has a new course and maintenance at the Karsten Course seems to be a bit neglected. Greens were In fair to poor condition due to ball marks. The fairways were OK but anything outside of that was in Poor to fair condition. Given this, I thought $75 late in the afternoon was a marginal value.

Robert7745515's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2018

"Nice course, in poor shape."

Maddie7's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2018

Liked the layout of the course, interesting and challenging. However the fairways and greens were not in good shape. This is the second time we have played this course and we were disappointed.

"Not the course it used to be!"

JerryBastin's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2018

I play this place about 15 years ago and it was much more well cared for with long grass in ruff and beautifully manicured greens. Today the care and attention to detail is lacking.

"Everything but the layout was terrible"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2018

Rude at check-in. Had to hit their ancient range balls off a mat! Course conditions are poor. Lots of hard pan. I’ve let friends know not to check it out. Very disappointing. I recommend playing elsewhere.

Barry8775974's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2018

9911's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2018

Great course. Some short holes, but hilly terrain means accuracy is crucial. Very fun!