A view of a green at Starr Pass Golf Club.

Starr Pass Golf Club

Year Built 1986
Architect Bob Cupp (1986) Arnold Palmer (2003) Ed Seay (2003)

Caddies Yes

Restaurant, Beverage Carts

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

Available Sports

Tennis

Summer in Arizona. No beverage cart. Closed restaurant. No water on course. Dead fairways. Great in winter but over priced for summer conditions. Will not play again in summer.

Excellent

Great course and staff is super friendly. Superb value for your money.

Awful Customer Service Specifically Pro Shop Attendant

First of all this review has nothing to do with the course, layout or play whatsoever. This review is solely directed at the gross lack of customer service and empathy towards their guests. My friends and I played a round of golf on Saturday 6/27/2020 at 110pm. Despite being in the midst of a global pandemic Starr Pass found it appropriate and good business practice to charge guests that would prefer to ride alone in their own cart an extra $25. I find this to be a despicable case of profiteering off of the health concerns of guests. On top of this the employee in the pro shop that I spoke with showed absolutely no empathy and awareness for the concerns of guests. The cherry on top was when he said to me, "Well if you feel this way maybe golf just isn't for you right now". Needless to say I was appalled and walked out immediately. I will not be returning to Starr Pass any time soon.

Surprised by all the good reviews

Tight course. Minimal landing zones. Fairways were more dirt and dead grass than green. Greens were in great shape compared to everything else, the only positive takeaway.

When I got to the course to play with a friend I was told if we wanted to take separate carts I needed to pay an extra 20$ in cart fees. Since I care for an elderly sick relative I do not take unnecessary risks. In this time of alarming spikes in Covid infection I cannot believe they penalize you for following appropriate safety guidelines.
The course itself is very challenging and we got to see a lot of wildlife. I am just so disappointed in a course that penalizes people for staying safe. Also, this should be disclosed on line when you book. Shame on you Star Pass!

Tight Lies

I played the Rattler/Coyote 9's and the course layout is very good. The greens, were in excellent condition. The fairway lies were very tight and in some areas the bermuda grass was still dormant in transition. The course had been heavily watered so you had to pay close attention to soggy areas and pick the ball cleanly. The deer, coyotes and roadrunners are abundant and the views of the surrounding mountains very picturesque. The course had no marshal today so the back nine played slowly at a 2.5 hour pace. Sand traps are well maintained and the maintenance on the course is top notch. I would recommend this to a friend and advise them to expect some blind challenging tee shots over some desert terrain.

Always play here when I am in town. Three 9 holes, all three tough but fair if you play the tees that correspond to your handicap.Great staff!

IF YOU WANT TO DIE FROM DEHYDRATION WHILE PLAYING GOLF, HERE IS THE PLACE FOR YOU!

I went golfing this afternoon. We teed off at 2 pm. The pro shop was open, drinks were being sold at the club house, and the beverage cart was on the course. Employees were working at the podium sending people off. No one said anything about beverages, or the lack there of.

I had my 40 oz water bottle and figured I'd be able to fill up from water jugs on the course. Beverage cart passes by me on the first hole. I tell her I'm good for now, but maybe I'll get something from her next time around. She drives off without saying anything. I don't see her again the rest of the day.

I played the first 9 holes. There were no water jugs anywhere on the course, despite the temps being over 100°. After 9 holes, I'm 90% out of water. Decide I'll stop at the turn (around 4 pm) and fill up and buy some Gatorade. The restaurant and bar is closed. The Club House is closed. The Pro Shop is closed. No attendants are even out front. There isn't a single employee there. Nowhere to get drinks and no one to ask for water. Nothing!

I decide to make the turn and try and use my remaining water sparingly. On the 4th hole of the back 9 I lose my balance, stumble into the cart, bang up and twist my knee, before ultimately landing on the ground. I tried to stand up, got real light headed and nauseous, and collapsed back to the ground. I laid on the side of the fairway while cooling myself by dunking my bandana in the melted ice in the cooler.

I felt absolutely miserable during that time and wasn't sure how long or if I'd recover without water. My friend considered calling 911 (since no one at the course was a available). After 10 minutes I felt the nausea start to subside. I felt strong enough to head back to the clubhouse. When returning to the from there were no employees in sight. There were at least a dozen cars in the parking lot as there were plenty of groups still on the course.

I can't believe that there was nowhere to fill up OR purchase beverages. Even worse, there's no one telling you that they're closing the shop at 3 and there's no water on the course, so I better make sure I have enough beverages for the entire round. Feels like they're being extremely negligent. I have no doubt that the only reason I collapsed and felt the way I did was due to dehydration and heat exhaustion. If water was available, I know I'd be fine. I've golfed in 100°+ many times during my 15 years in Tucson. Start Pass Golf Club clearly doesn't care about their customers.

Ouch

We've been playing Starr Pass since it opened. It's always been brutally difficult, so much so that my wife always questions why we play it. (I'm a 9, she's a 12) I have played over 400 courses all over the world and this is in the top 3 most difficult. You often get penalized for a good shot. Greens are tiny and missing them is punitive. But unfortunately, with COVID layoffs and a dry spring, the fairways are almost completely bare. it was literally hardpan all the way around. Tee boxes, fringe and greens were fine. It's a gorgeous setting with great facilities but I can't recommend playing it for a while.

Play some where else. Over priced

For the price of this course it is not worth it. Fairways are in terrible condition. Staff doesn’t seem to want you to play. There was no starter so pace was super slow. Greens are in good condition. Carts are old and need to be updated. I really don’t recommend this course. Go play Arizona national or sewalio.

3.879 stars

bring water...no beverage cart no drinking fountains plenty of hot weather

3.896 stars

pros- unique challenging desert course beautiful views of saguaros and desert mountains

cons- too difficult for most people pga pulled out from playing here, players thought it was too tricked up

expensive for what it is...
no water provided; you will not find a drinking fountain and all water coolers have been removed for covid. restaurant is completely closed off. we never saw a beverage cart. maybe water is FOR SALE in pro shop but not totally sure. $15 if you choose to have your own cart to follow social distancing rules.

classic course

course was in really good shape on a nice day. Only issue I had was that I wasn't able to run the round on my phone app with the classic round.

Beautiful Course

Love playing here. Stuff was friendly and helpful. Course was in great shape. Already booking my next round

3.8204470588