A view of a green at Starr Pass Golf Club.

Starr Pass Golf Club

Year Built 1986
Architect Bob Cupp (1986) Arnold Palmer (2003) Ed Seay (2003)

Caddies Yes

Restaurant, Beverage Carts

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

Available Sports

Tennis

Challenging but fun.

Definitely a course to bring extra balls. Straight and well placed shots will be needed.

What happened?

We arrived at the course and put our clubs in the bag drop. We arrived 45 minutes before our tee time to warm up and just be ready in general. There was no one there to help us with our bags and we took them up to the cart loading area. The pro shop attendant was very professional and the only helpful individual the entire experience. We played the front 9 and at the turn came in for some quick bites to eat. The lady behind the counter was quick with our sandwiches. When we asked for some extra Mayo which we asked her for when we ordered the food she exclaimed, “ugh, now I have to go all the way to the kitchen again.” She genuinely didn’t seem like she wanted to be there. We finished our round and and there has always been someone there to wipe off our clubs, socialize with us about our round and help us. There was an attendant there but he looked at us and walked away.
We understand the course wasn’t perfect as overseeing is almost there. It still looked great. It was gorgeous and our out of town guests were amazed to see deer, javalina, coyotes and many native birds. But we take visitors there for the service as well. This experience lacked in that department. I know this isn’t the usual for Star Pass and we will be back. Let’s just hope this was that one bad time and not a trend.

Not as enjoyable this time

Starr Pass is a nice golf course and part of a Marriot resort that is pretty shutdown right now. They have 27 holes designed by Arnold Palmer and has been one of great places to play for years. My problems may be too picky and specific to me, however they are real. The greens are OK but could be better , maybe by simply cutting them shorter and rolling them. Right now they seem spongy and too soft. Many of the tee boxes are hairy and need cutting along with many fairways that are too tall. There is no GPS in the carts. There is an app for your phone but what if you have a weak signal in the mountains? Many shots are blind and it is hard to figure out the right place to place a shot in both direction and distance. There are lots of places to lose balls which you may expect when you hit a bad shot but unless you know the holes well you may be confused as to where the most punishing danger is located. All in all, again, a nice place but there is room for improvement.

Diifficult

The views on the course are beautiful but the course is difficult due to make long carries and many blind shots This was above my pay grade to play well!

Too many blind shots for a resort course

The scenery is beautiful however there are too many blind shots. Given that it's a resort course I'm sure many golfers have not played the course. At the very least there should be GPS on the carts so at least you know some yardage points. So many blind tee shots couldn't scope anything. Greens were very bumpy and slow. I'm sure they will be better in the peak season when it cools down

Great job

Course is in pretty good shape. Just reseeded and is cart path only. That slowed things down. However still a great place to play. You will have to carry over the desert and you will see lots of wildlife.

One bad apple

Everything about this course is Fantastic. The whole staff welcomes you and makes you feel special. Other than the beverage cart person /. One Bad Apple She got mad at us for making her wait while we teed off. Not our fault the she drove up while we were waiting. This one person can bring the whole place down. I mentioned it to one of the cart guys when cleaning our clubs and asking how we liked everything. I said it was great except for the cart girl. He gave her the name. Yeah she can be "One Bad Apple" Why would a great facility like this have someone represent them like this. Get rid of the Bad Apple

Star pass fail

Experienced what customer service was not. Counter people might have well been a checker at fry’s. Was told by driving range attendant that we couldn’t play two out of same bag. But then reversed himself. Beverage cart lady was rude. She complained because we wanted so many bottles of water. 6 to be precise. No water on course it was 90 degrees and we only saw her twice. The second time we saw her, not to get her ire up, we changed to 3 red Gatorade and she remarked that would run her out. I said give me any color. She gave me 3 red. From the golf pros, driving range attendant, starter and beverage cart person the experience was awful. Won’t be recommending this course to any of my friends.

Nice 9

The Coyote was in great shape. The Rattler needs some serious work on tee boxes and greens. To bad one 9 played awesome and the other was a disappointment.

The views are amazing

Beautiful course. Very challenging holes.
Greens were different. I’m not sure what kind of grass it is but They seemed plush and slower than my home course. But they were still excellent.

Look forward to going back

Frozen Tundra Couple Play in Arizona

Greetings,
The Wifey and I are visiting our daughter here in AZ This is second golf course I have ever golfed in AZ. Gorgeous course with picturesque views of the desert with challenging design. I’d golf here again in a second. Will be playing here again during my recent retirement from L.E.
Mike
East Troy, Wisconsin

Tough Day at Star Pass

Played the Coyote/Rattler 18. The coyote side was in better shape especially the tee box areas but both greens were in excellent condition. The weather was great and overall experience was the same. I did notice that some vegetation was a bit overgrown around the tee box area and directly in front of the tees.

Rattler not good

Played Coyote the first 9..was in great shape. Played Rattler the second 9 and not good at all. Tee boxes were terrible some.greens were not good as well. Disappointed.

CEO

starter paired two singles with our double. One of us was a new player and disclosed to starter. he send a twosome off before us, followed by two separate twosomes behind us, followed by a single. the two who were paired with us had already bought single carts. made no sense and really screwed up pace of play for all. we ultimately rearranged the golfers ourselves to end up with threesomes. from then on, pace of play worked fine.

Never boring

The course condition is great and the course is a great challenge with every hole a new experience. Can't wait to try it again now that we know more.

4.6319294118

Valid dates: Aug 27, 2020 - Dec 31, 2020
Play Unlimited Golf on Our Championship Courses. Challenge yourself on our PGA course, home of the Safeway Open with our Unlimited Golf Package.