Poppy Ridge Golf Course

Year Built 1996
Architect Rees Jones (1996) Steve Weisser (1996)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Poppy Ridge Golf Academy"

Dress code All players are required to wear shirts with sleeves and collars. Shorts must have an inseam of at least 4 inches. Tee shirts, cut-offs, jeans and gym attire are prohibited

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Conference Facilities, Banquet Facilities

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2014 #15)

Good course, however, it was very windy

1st time played here from south bay. NCGA owned, so it's a very good course, However, we picked the wrong day as it was so windy to play.. The course condition is very good though.

Nice Course

Course is one of the better maintained courses in the Bay Area. 4 hrs to play with noon tee time.

If you’re playing 9 you’re walkinf

This was a workout +! Course is beautiful and play was just right. Love this place and will go back.

Enjoyable Round

I was impressed with the 4:05 pace of play which included a stop at the turn. I will continue to go back as long as management can maintain this pace. The fairways were brown and dry in many spots but the greens were in good condition. The staff and the gals in the stack shack were terrific and they entire team is doing an amazing job in the shadow of COVID 19.

Poppy Ridge Review

This course is a great course, the layout was amazing. The landscape was well taken care of and the staff was very pleasant. I’ll definitely will coming back to play this course

Bad customer service

I usually don't write reviews but this experience was bad. So when I check in I was told that there wouldn't be any carts available after noon in which my tee time was at 12:10 p.m. So I proceed with my round and what I thought was odd is that every golfer after me had carts. So after I completed the first nine I went to the golf shop and ask if there was a possible chance of getting a cart for the next nine cause it isn't the easiest course to walk and I was denied and I was told by one of the marshals that if a certain person was working that I would be denied and it was true.

Rude Staff/ Great Course

Want to preface this by saying it was day one opening after covid and I acknowledge how much of a transition from the norm operations our, however the staff could have been a little more nice. One in particular, when showing him our rsvp that should have included a cart said “i don’t care what golf now says” and then corrected himself. I found the clubhouse staff to be quite abrasive and arrogant, but the grounds/cart staff were Very friendly. We did not get a cart on the first 9 which was a big deal due to existing medical issues and they wouldn’t give us one, however we made the most of the day. Beware, the course is supremely hilly and a difficulty hike in and of itself but in beautiful condition, well maintained, and a great layout.

Terrible time at Poppy Ridge

GolfNow or the ProShop really needs to let golfers know (especially those who can only play weekends) when there are tournaments happening the same day you're playing. We tee'd off as a 3some at 2:45p and sundown was at 7:15p which is 4 and half hours to complete the round and we only managed to play 14 holes due to a high school/college tournament or practice in front of us. Since we couldn't finish, we called the club house asking for a rain check or something, but was rudely told that "we can't do anything for you". What kind of customer service is that? You would think as the flagship course for the NCGA that they would value NCGA members more.

There was no marshal in sight and even the college teams were taking their sweet time making practice putts while they clearly saw our group right behind them. As a former junior golf captain, I understand the importance of the game for our youth, but it should never ruin the experience for other golfers.

Truly disappointed with the day and slow play.

Really bad experience - SLOW pace - College tournament that day without any prior notice - No rain check allowed

Played 2:50 hot deal through golf now. Found out that there was a golf tournament that on this course (Char/Zin). No prior notice was given on GolfNow.

Chardonnay pace was good but on the Zinfandel course we had to wait at least 12 minutes per hole to tee off each hole because of the backup from the tournament. We ended up stopping at Hole 7 due to pace and upcoming darkness.

I called the pro shop if there were any options for a rain check due to the slow pace from the tournament. No options were given to make up for this.

The staff member that I spoke with on the phone was inconsiderate of the circumstances. Definitely left the course with a bad taste.

Shame since I was looking forward to playing this course and drove 1 hour to play here.

Shocked

I must say I was truly surprised today at the conditions at Poppy Ridge. I haven’t played there for over three years the overgrowth the weeds and the dead grass in the fairways really was a shock to see if you’ve been taking the GPS off the Golf carts . The staff was still very friendly and very accommodating but the overgrowth around the golf course and the maintenance left a little to be desired. I found rocks and bunkers I found a dead skunk in one of the ponds close to the eighth hole I believe it had been there for sometime. This course represents the NCGA and does not compare to Poppy Hills in Monterey. I don’t know if this is a budget issue or what the prices for this facility given its conditions are not proportionate. The Green’s did part well which was the one highlight of the day and obviously if you have good greens people tend to look the other way on the rest of the conditions.I hope at some point that Poppy Ridge can come back to the luster it once had

Great Value in Livermore

We arrived at the course and the staff was very welcoming and for the price it really felt like a private country club atmosphere. The starter asked if we needed snacks, scorecards etc.... and then gave us directions to the first nine which was Merlot. Wide open fairways and the elevation changes added a bit of a challenge as to which clubs to choose and the course was in great condition including the greens. Chardonnay IMO was the better of the two nines. The two tiered greens and interesting bunker placements in the fairways added to the shot challenges and the majority of the pins were in the back of the greens. The 18th was a great closing hole with a small gallery of folks watching from the restaurant and cheering us on. I’m so glad to see this course looking so well after all these years and I wouldn’t hesitate to tell folks to come on out and play this gem.

perfect day

weather was good just a little chilly, greens where rolling ,course is in great shape and finished in under 4 hours

Tough times

Played here a few times. Always busy for the wrong reasons. Most times I have played here everybody is routed on the same track and one course goes unused. This leads to incredibly long rounds that should at most be 4 hours but have consistently been a 5.5 hour round of watching people hack and drink. Course should either marshal or open other routes and space people out by using the third course

Municipal