Chardonnay/Zinfandel at Poppy Ridge Golf Course

Poppy Ridge Golf Course
Scorecard for Chardonnay/Zinfandel
Black M: 75.0/138 396 305 219 381 582 452 182 470 526 3513 372 198 400 427 562 425 171 528 452 3535 7048
Blue M: 73.2/138 381 277 193 363 565 425 162 421 503 3290 350 164 370 409 544 399 153 507 427 3323 6613
White M: 71.0/130 W: 75.8/131 345 261 171 345 534 404 141 394 477 3072 310 150 317 388 520 370 116 489 402 3062 6134
Gold M: 67.2/122 W: 70.4/120 264 229 137 282 461 323 124 368 419 2607 252 139 285 343 457 325 84 405 370 2660 5267

Year Built 1996
Architect Rees Jones (1996) Steve Weisser (1996)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Poppy Ridge Golf Academy"

Dress code All players are required to wear shirts with sleeves and collars. Shorts must have an inseam of at least 4 inches. Tee shirts, cut-offs, jeans and gym attire are prohibited

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2014 #15)

Poor Conditions...5 1/2 Hours PoP

I was super excited to finally make the 70 minute drive to play Poppy Ridge, only to be less than impressed, unfortunately. The clubhouse is beautiful and all employees I interacted with were professional and courteous. However, this did not make up for the less than ideal course conditions and absurdly slow pace of play. I found the course layout to be less than inspiring...sure there are beautiful views, but the actual course itself is nothing special. The fairways were bare, at best; one the bunkers flat out ruined a club of mine (I was in two other bunkers, but learned to move the rocks before hitting...believe me there are as many rocks as there is sand) and the greens were bumpy, slow and inconsistent (like putting on shag carpet). Finally, the course was well over 50% cart path only which makes for an excruciatingly slow round. For me, this is a one-and-done as I live 15 minutes from Cinnabar Hills, which I think is 10x the course.

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 10/12/2018:
Hello, Thank you for providing your feedback. We would like to apologize for the pace of play, course layout, and course conditions. Please allow us to make it up to you in the near future.

Excellent Course

Lots of undulating landscape, fierce rough, beautiful scenery. Stay out of the rough and you will be fine. Enjoyed the view of the vineyards. Greens ran true. Enjoyed playing this course.

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 10/09/2018:
Hi Mary, We're happy to hear that you enjoyed playing our course. Thank you for leaving us a 5-star rating and book your next round with us soon.

Pace of Play

It was busy day. Marshall said tournament early in the morning. No marshall on the course to speed up play. I played almost 5 1/2 hours. Great course, but I don't want to spend 5 1/2 hours.

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 09/19/2018:
Hello, We would like to apologize for the pace of play. Thank you for your business and please allow us to make it up to you in the near future.
Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 09/06/2018:
Hello, Thank you for leaving Poppy Ridge Golf Course an awesome 5-star rating. Book your next tee time with us soon.

90% Cart path only! No ShadeTrees

While we liked the course layout we were pretty disappointed with our overall golf experience.

Almost every hole was roped off and cart path only. Not sure why, it is definitely not TPC grade by any means and being very hilly terrain and extremely hot it was more of a survival test than an enjoyable game. There were no shade tees or any type of relief at any of the tee boxes so waiting for our tee was brutal. The greens and bunkers were in good shape but the fairways were a bit sorry but it is the end of summer so I would think that would improve during the test of the year.

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 09/06/2018:
Hello, We would like to apologize for falling short of your expectations. We will address your comments with our management team. In order to make improvements. Thank you for your business and please allow us to make it up to you in the near future.

Beautiful course, we had a wonderful time

My boyfriend and I played here for the first time today. It was lovely and we can't wait until we go back. As a twosome we ended up waiting on a foursome in front of us during the first nine (we started with the Chardonnay course), but when I mentioned this to the starter at the turn, we were able to play the Merlot course instead of the Zinfindal and didn't see anyone else for the rest of the time we were there. It was awesome. Like having your own private beautiful course. The weather was perfect, a little windy, but pleasantly so.

The placement of the yellow (forward) tees offered me enough relief to make the day very enjoyable, while the white tees proved plenty challenging for my boyfriend.

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 08/27/2018:
Hello, Thank you for leaving Poppy Ridge Golf Course a 5-star rating and raving review. We look forward to seeing you both again.

What happened

I have played this course many times.

It has has been a year since playing here. I could not believe how they have let the course go. It used to play firm and fast. Nice tight fairways, this was not the case today. Either the fairway grass was dying, or overwatered and shaggy. The greens were slow and rolled terribly. It felt like the greens weren’t cut and rolled in some time. I enjoy playing here but it blew me away with the lack of TLC this course has gotten.

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 08/23/2018:
Hello, We would like to apologize for falling short of your expectations. We will address your comments with our management team. Please allow us to make it up to you in the near future.

Fantastic place

First, I love this place. Despite being form Southern California I have played this place for 20 years. What I don't get is how they get to their pricing. They say they give a reciprocal agreement to SoCal SCGA members but that's not the case at all. I went there after working in the area one afternoon (walk up). GolfNow had many times available for $65. They charged me $70 and said they would give me a 'guest rate'. Very strange indeed. Otherwise, course is still great after all these years.

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 08/08/2018:
Hello, Thank you for leaving us a 5-star rating. If you ever have this issue again, please feel free to call 1 (844) 800-GOLF. Thank you for continuing to come back to Poppy Ridge Golf Course.
Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 07/31/2018:
Hello, We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Everything was great but the greens need a little help but I’ll go back again

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 07/30/2018:
Hello, Thank you for leaving us a 5-star rating. We look forward to seeing you out on the golf course.
Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 07/31/2018:
Hi Michael, We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Slow greens

This is in most respects a great course fun to play always in good condition...it may have just been today, but the greens were so slow it took away from the round, the grass on the greens was starting to flower making it even more slow and grainy...it must be poa anna

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 07/30/2018:
Hello, We would like to apologize for our course conditions. Thank you for leaving Poppy Ridge Golf Course a 4-star rating. Book your next round with us soon.
Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 07/23/2018:
Hi Simon, We are happy to hear you enjoyed our course conditions, course layout, and staff friendliness. Thank you for your business and book your next tee time with us soon.

No Marshalls

We teed off as a 2 some and noticed 3 singles in front of us over 2-3 holes they backed up and refused to play with each other!! luckily another 2 some come up and joined us but all day did not see ONE marshall

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 07/31/2018:
Hi Dave, Thank you for providing your feedback. We would like to apologize for the pace of play. Please allow us to make it up to you in the near future.
Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 07/13/2018:
Hi Billy, Thank you for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

Zin merlot not the way to go

Chardonnay is the best 9 imo, and last two outings it’s been cordoned off for an event.

Greens were shag carpet slow, already looked like broccoli crowns, AT 7 am!

Usually excellent, not today.

Too bad some of the staff was less then expected

I arrived for my tee time 3 minutes late and was told by the starter that I would lose my tee time and had to wait until 45 minutes later for the next available tee time. Needless to say I was not too happy to hear that as I have yet to hear that on any other course ( I play many different courses). After I was given the news, I was tempted to cancel my tee time and go somewhere else, but low and behold another staff member came up me to me and offered me to join another 3some on a different tee and drop in the fairway, then I could come back around and play that hole over. Thanks to that staff member, my opinion of the staff and course was changed to the better. Not sure if I will paly here again but it wasn't as bad as it could of been.

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 07/09/2018:
Hello, Thank you for providing your feedback. We advise all golfers to show up at least 10 minutes prior to their tee time and do our best to accommodate golfers if they are late. Book your next tee time with us soon.

Busy Day

Played here the first time on July 4. In addition to the holiday crowd, we followed a very slow threesome that ended up combining with another threesome (they were there together) and we had to follow those six the last three holes. No marshals anywhere.

5 1/2 hours for the round. We enjoy Poppy Hills so we wanted to try Poppy Ridge. 2+ hour drive from home, so we don't plan to return.

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 07/06/2018:
Hello, Thank you for leaving us a 4-star rating. We would like to apologize for the pace of play. Thank you for your business.

good holiday price, but greens in poor shape

good hot deal price, but the greens seriously need to be cut and rolled, they were so long when they cut the holes the hole became smaller than normal because it was not a clean cut...affects the game

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 07/09/2018:
Hello, Thank you for providing your feedback. We would like to apologize for the course conditions. We will address your comments with our management team in order to make improvements.

This course is pretty nice but really hilly the greens were slow I hear it’s windy a lot of days here as was today. I’d play it again though.

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 07/09/2018:
Hi Michael, Thank you for leaving Poppy Ridge Golf Course a 5-star rating. We're glad a little wind didn't ruin your day. Remember to book your next round with us soon.
Livermore, California