Chesapeake Golf Club sits tucked away in the idyllic village of Las Gaviotas, conveniently situated just 15 minutes from downtown Norfolk. Boasting some of the best greens in the Tidewater area, the club offers the amenities of a private club with the fees of a public golf course. The layout will challenge you with rolling fairways and tricky doglegs. Water hazards come into play frequently so be prepared for a few intimidating blind shots over water. Mature trees line the rolling fairways and there are also strategically placed bunkers lurking along the greensides. The manageable 6,278-yard length is approachable for beginners yet there are still holes that long hitters will enjoy. Chesapeake Golf Club is a course that will test your skills but it's not overly punishing for the high handicapper.

Chesapeake Golf Club

Year Built 1986
Architect Ellis Maples (1986)

Clubhouse

Amazing Food 8

Poor management

Management insisted on cart sharing in spite of Covid-19 guidelines that are in place. Start times were a joke as they were sending people out every 3-4 minutes, which caused things to stay backed-up the entire round. Tee boxes were over grown. Will not play there again!

Commented on 05/20/2020

If you would of booked your tee time with us instead of a hotdeal we would of told you that carts are based upon availability. The same that was told to you at the counter. You showed up for a 9:58 tee time at 9:41 and your partner showed at 9:47, then you being mad you decide to walk and didn’t check in with my starter till 10:06 and teed off at 10:11, you played the first 11 holes in 2 hours and 27 minutes. And at the turn you decide to load up with you friend and ride the last 7 holes.

Great Golf Day at CGC

Course was in excellent condition. Greens were fast, but true. Carts were cleaned and sanitized, so bonus. Plenty of carts to help with social distancing. Playing again next week.

Just bad

This Place is a goat track and poorly run. Greens are ok, fairways are patchy and not well maintained. Good luck finding a flat spot or decent patch of grass on the tee boxes. I’m not real sure how people gave so many 4-5 star reviews. I Paid for 18 holes and came in after 9 for a rain check. There was a large storm moving in, the winds picked up and it was starting to spit rain. We looked at the radar and decided we didn't want to get stuck in it. When I asked the pro shop attendant he tossed his hands in the air sarcastically turned around and looked out the window and said "IS IT RAINING?!?" I started laughing thinking he was joking and said yea it's starting to sprinkle and not looking good out there or on the radar. He stated "I still have a bunch of guys out there, I can't give you a rain check unless it's raining!"

I worked at golf courses for 4 years. We never questioned someone who asked for a rain check for an impending storm or really any other reason. It brings back golfers and business to your course. Won't be coming back to this dump! Thanks!

Commented on 05/04/2020

Thank You for the 4-Star Rating!

Great course...we will return

My son and I really enjoyed the course. The layout was nice the greens were in great shape, and it is obvious the fairways will be beautiful in just a few weeks.

Commented on 05/04/2020

Thank You for the EXCELLENT 5-Stars!!!!

Awesome shape for January, greens were fantastic...

Commented on 05/04/2020

Thank You so much for the outstanding 5-Stars!!!

First and most likely last round

I had high hopes after seeing such positive reviews and playing other disappointing courses that Chesapeake would be my go to course in VA beach. However the course was in awful shape and was like playing on a goat pasture. I will say the greens were in decent shape to say the least but I've just wondered if any course at all in VA beach is in good condition. Range was limited to irons only which was a disappointment but had a chipping green to make up for it. Overall I wouldn't pay more than $25 for a round of golf here unless there are major renovations to the course.

Besides the guy in the pro shop

(In a nut shell: Course was fun and challenging (lots of water). Well cut fairways, perfect greens (they play slow), and beautiful sand traps. Group sizes don’t matter and pace of play isn’t monitored )

This place has it almost all together except for the grumpy old man at the counter of the pro shop and the cart paths are terrible. This guy was absolutely no help. Told him it was my first time here and asked which cart to take and where the first tee was. With a half heart attempt to point out the window he snarled “out there” and slid me my recipe with my tee time on it. With seeing he was a man of few words I proceeded to “out there” and figured it out for myself.

After figuring out the order of carts I grab one and load my clubs. Luckily there is a small sign that points you across the road to the 1st tee. As we head across the road we come upon three men with three carts chipping on the practice green. These gentlemen inform us there where next. As they where waiting on a foursome to tee off. Not a problem we joined in a line with our cart. By the time me and my teammate reach the tee box I look behind us and there is almost a 100yrd long line behind us of mostly individuals in carts no matter the size of their group. This lets me know there is no order to tee times, groups sizes, or any organization to anything for that matter. Luckily a group of 5 retreat to the “back 7” and start there. Yes you heard that right. And some just chose to skip around and play in what ever order that wasn’t crowded which in turned caused more crowding.

There is no marshal so group size or pace of play is not regulated or monitored. The turn is at 12th so you have a “front 11” and a “back 7”. absolutely the roughest cart paths in the world. These paths weave you in and out of traffic crossing multiple roads. At one point traveling down a road and through an intersection. Paths that dead end, switch back, and round abouts that could confuse the most observant of us all. It felt like this course layout could have came from a giant boggle game.

On the good side decent fairways, great design of each hole, well placed hazards to keep it challenging, beautiful greens and wonderful dog legs left and right. I did enjoy playing this course just wish I would have had more junk balls for all those water hazards. Had the bbq sandwich that was good . Compared to some other courses around the beer was a good price and even had a few cigars on hand to choose from. All in all it was a good time but still 50/50 on ever coming back.

Seth,

I'm so sorry about everything in the pro-shop. That's not how we treat our customers. And pride our self on customer service. Please send me an email at charleslynnpga@yahoo.com

Anonymous

Great value

Greens were great, very challenging slopes. My only critique for the money is that the tee boxes were long. Tough to feel good over a tee shot when the grass eats up your tee

Overall good experience

Commented on 05/04/2020

Thank You for the 4-Stars!! Tee's have been mowed :)

Great day to play

We had the course toniuraelv a almost. It was a great round, I just couldn't hit the ball.

Commented on 05/04/2020

Thank for for the 5-Stars!!!!!!!!

Huge Disappointment, Left Early

I only give reviews to warn people of places to avoid. The course itself is ok, but after watching 3 groups leave after making to whole 14 in 4 hours, that tells me there’s some management issues. Staff doesn’t seem too concerned either so I wanted to at least warn people. If you’ve got 6.5 hours to play an average close it’s nice if you can catch a GolfNow deal for $20. And they were late starting us off after setting up a tee time a day in advance

Commented on 10/13/2019

Samuel,

I know we have already spoke, but again I'm sorry about everything!!

Wilson

I arrived 20 mins early to my 10:01 AM tee time. I was in informed by the cashier that I would be paired up with “a guy” who had already arrived. Not a problem, as I was by myself and it was a busy Saturday. The manager, who was making rude gestures and faces to a customer on the phone, yells for someone in the back. A kid comes out from behind the counter to drive me to “the guy” who already had a golf cart. Kid asks, “do you need to get anything?”. I reply “my clubs from my car”. He tells me to “walk to your car and grab whatever you need and I’ll meet you there” I replied “ok....” He meets me at my car and says “you can hold on to your clubs or put them in the back.” Bizarre thing to say, and for for a second time I say “ok.....”. We drive to the first hole with no “guy” around and the kid says “ok here you are!” I said “where is the guy I’m partnered with?” He says “I don’t know I didn’t get a look at the person I’m just driving you out here. Probably the guy at the driving range.” I look and there was a guy hitting golf balls 100ft away. I said “are you guessing or is that the stranger I’m paired up with?” Kid says “hey man Im just guessing.” For the third and final time in 3mins I said “ok......” I get out of the golf cart and grab my clubs and say, “can I just get a cart to drive I don’t even know if this is “the guy”.” He says, “No we don’t want a bunch of singles running around the course”. I asked ,“do you at least know his name?” Kid looks at my box of Wilson Golf balls in my hand and says “Wilson”. I locked eyes with him, looked at my golf balls and back at him and repeated “Wilson”. Kid drives away. I looked out at “the guy” contemplated walking up to him while he’s hitting at the range and saying “I’m paired up with you” with no introduction from staff AT ALL....then walked to my car put my clubs back in my trunk and drove off. Horribly unprofessional staff all the way around. Thought about arguing with management but decided i wouldn’t get very far based off my first encounter with the manager and it wasn’t worth my effort or time. Just wanted a relaxing few hours to play golf on a beautiful day. Not so much.....

Commented on 10/08/2019

U402850392,

I'm not even sure where to apologize. But I'm sorry that this happened and that you were treated this way, As you can't tell by our reviews, this is not how we treat our customers. We are training new staff inside and out. We will address this issue and have it taking care of in the future. Please give us another try on me. Email me at charleslynnpga@Yahoo.com or give me a call at 804-436-6483

Looking forward to hearing from you. -Charles

Commented on 10/08/2019

U402850392,

Looking forward to hearing from you. -Charles

Good Course

Chesapeake golf club is looking really good. The staff is doing an amazing job on this course. Thank you for all the hard work

Tee boxes are looking way better now then a few months back. Fairways are also looking good. You can see a clear line between fairway and rough. Greens are rolling nice. There still issues with people not fixing there divots. It doesnt take much time people. Fix your ball marks

Commented on 10/06/2019

Thank you so much!! We are working hard to improve everyday!

Good Course

Course was in great shape after all the rain. The staff was friendly and helpful. Would definitely play again.

Sgtrhoads,

Thank you so much for the great rating! Can't wait to have you back again!

Great Value

Course is awesome and staff are friendly as well.
For the money, you can’t find a better course to play. Greens are always in decent shapes for challenging.
I love this course!

Commented on 05/04/2020

Thank You for the outstanding 5-Stars!!!!

Very good course

Played this course with a friend on the 4th of July weekend. The course was busy but play was steady. The course was in great shape. We played the round in under 4 hours. This course has several holes with water that you may need to lay up, depending on your skill level. We will be back.

u598521243,

Thank You for the great 5-stars! I'm glad you enjoyed the day!

Good price / Great Value.

First time playing in VA Beach area. It was a very enjoyable round. The course was in much better shape than what I’m used to and for less $. IMHO , the greens couldn’t be any better. I would definitely return to play again when I’m in the area.

Paul,

Thank you for the kind words and great rating. We hope to see you again, when you are back in town

Great Shape and Experience

It has been a few years since I played this course but it is in great condition currently. They have clearly put time and money into this course and it shows. It’s a fun course with some easy birdie opportunities and some other challenging holes so a nice mix. The staff was very friendly and I would definitely recommend for anyone playing in the area.

U000006643661,

Thank you for noticing how hard we have worked over the years to bring this gem back to life! Can't wait to have you back out soon!

Chesapeake, Virginia