Bayonet GC: View from #18

It was upon this land that General Bob McClure constructed the Bayonet Golf Course in 1954 and, due to Bayonet's initial acclaim, Fort Ord decided to expand the course. In 1964 a second 18-hole championship course named Black Horse was officially opened.

The Bayonet and Black Horse courses are steeped in rich tradition and have played host to PGA Tour greats such as Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson, as well as several U.S. Presidents and foreign dignitaries. After a practice round in 1997, PGA Tour Professional Billy Andrade said, "If they play the U.S. Open here, the scores would be over par. It's tough, but it's fun!" One thing is for certain, the Bayonet and Black Horse Golf Courses offer golf enthusiasts and history buffs alike, an experience that they are unlikely to forget.

Bayonet Golf Course

Year Built 1954
Greens Jacklin T1 Bentgrass
Architect Gene Bates (2008)

Carts Yes - $20 - $25

Golf School Academy Yes - "Bayonet Black Horse Golf Academy & Performance Center"

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Playing Multiple Courses 69

Bone Dry on the Coast?

This is a supreme course that will test any golfer: length, accuracy, and concrete greens that require premier golf balls.

You would think that this coupled with a coastal track providing the ideal Social Media pictures would give you an A+ experience? No...

I apologize for the vulgarity here, do you dehydrate a course that is less than a mile from the coastline in a temperate zone that rarely reaches temperatures above 70 degrees?!?!

I understand creating a challenging setup, but it cannot come at the cost of the conditions of the course which continues to lose trees due to extreme and grass due to lack of course hydration!

Beautiful large trees

Cold and foggy. Never saw the ocean. Greens were rough, but lots of work in progress. Beautiful trees and a challenging course. Enjoyed our game.

Do not play - horrible conditions

Was looking forward to this course given its reviews! Ummmm, all these reviews must be from workers.

First of all, they wanted to charge us 189 a person and on golf now it was 69. We called and instead of honoring the price, they told us to just book it online if you wanted that price. Ok, have it your way we did.
Thank goodness, this course has a good layout, but in horrendous conditions. Greens are rock hard, fairway is inconsistent, tee boxes are horrible.

The bunkers had no sand in them....was a blast when in combo with a the non-receptive greens.

Asked for a bag tag before my round started, thinking that I was going to have a great day only to tell me that they didn’t have any left. None left?? Ummmmm, wow.

They have let this course go. Pathetic ownership and leadership. Skip this on your trip to the central coast!!

Tiakhamsone

The course was in ok conditions, would actually be considered nice for most courses, but I am tough on them, only bc I have played here before when it was in great shape. I’ll be back when the course gets back to those conditions. I love this track, very challenging and the weather and views were amazing..

Beautiful and Challenging

Definitely a must play course. Played both Black Horse and Bayonet courses. Worth the money and the drive.
Well maintained all around. Greens are faster and fun. Take your time and take a couple of practice swings, Well worth it. Good shots are rewarded but can easily get lost in wind and trees if not judged properly.

Day on the Green

Beautiful day at Bayonet. Greens were slower than my previous experience but course was in great shape and weather was better than expected, except for the wind. I highly recommend this course.

Lots of sand

This course is in amazing shape, most challenging course I’ve played. Most of the greens are protected by sand traps! And the greens are fast. But a beautiful course and very well maintained

Pre wedding golf

Great course,taken care of as always greens were as hard as the cart path nothing holding and greens very fast

Lots of work being done!

There is a lot of tree trimming, irrigation, reseeding and cleanup being done. Not as quiet or pristine as usual but still a great place to play. Played BlackHorse and the tee boxes are being redone so not very pretty right now but course is in pretty good shape otherwise. 3 1/2 hr round for us (2) which is great.

Must Play

Management has their act together and it was a breeze to check in and play while adhering to Covid rules. Course in great shape and pace of play perfect. Both courses are a great layout and challenge.

Bayonet

First time playing at Bayonet. Overall great experience. Course is challenging. One thing that might have helped was to have had a larger picture of overall course. It wasn’t always clear where we were headed and the map on he back of the scorecard was really too small to assist.

What a Gem!

Had no idea what to expect when booking this course, but couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised! Got out early on a Wednesday, so we took our time and soaked it all in.
We had prepared for a chilly morning, but literally took our layers off after the second hole. The course is well kept, plays fair, and the views are incredible!
The best review I can give is that I played poorly, but still had one of the more enjoyable rounds I have played. Will definitely look to play again next time I am in the area!

great course to beat the heat

a bit hard to stop your ball on the greens but this is a nice course with a good pace of play and great views of Monterey Bay and excellent weather. Reasonable rates include range balls and carts and you can get a good sandwich at the grill.

Gorgeous and challenging course in very good shape!

Fairways are longer and narrower than most courses. Lots of elevation changes. Greens in great condition, but with extensive use of levels and ridges to make them very challenging. I love this course!

Disappointing First Visit Here

I was really looking forward to my first visit here. The weather was perfect, but the course conditions were surprisingly weak. Some fairways looked recently "scraped" and fertilized, often with the fertilizer powder and pellets still visible. The layout of this course is masterful, and I am sure when fairways and greens are healthy it must be quite an adventure. But that was not the course I played on my visit. The fairways were worse than "tight" -- some of my lies weren't sitting on grass at all (see photos) And the greens were not smooth or green, nor appeared to have been watered any time recently. I was unable to find my ball mark on most greens, since they were so dry and hard. I asked several regular players after my round if this was common to Bayonet, and they said the course was a "little dry and ragged right now". I think that was a very diplomatic answer.

I hope to return some day, but certainly won't pay anything close to full price unless assured the course is a different one than the one I just played.

65th Birthday round

Played here for the first time on my 65th birthday. Beautiful course layout. Wonderful views of Monterey bay. Can’t wait to play here again

Public/Military