It was upon this land that General Bob McClure constructed the Bayonet Golf Course in 1954 and, due to Bayonet's initial acclaim, Fort Ord decided to expand the course. In 1964 a second 18-hole championship course named Black Horse was officially opened.

The Bayonet and Black Horse courses are steeped in rich tradition and have played host to PGA Tour greats such as Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson, as well as several U.S. Presidents and foreign dignitaries. After a practice round in 1997, PGA Tour Professional Billy Andrade said, "If they play the U.S. Open here, the scores would be over par. It's tough, but it's fun!" One thing is for certain, the Bayonet and Black Horse Golf Courses offer golf enthusiasts and history buffs alike, an experience that they are unlikely to forget.

Bayonet Golf Course

Year Built 1954
Greens Jacklin T1 Bentgrass
Architect Gene Bates (2008)

Carts Yes - $20 - $25

Golf School Academy Yes - "Bayonet Black Horse Golf Academy & Performance Center"

Playing Multiple Courses 69

Great course, fast greens, but woman friendly

We had a great time with beautiful weather. Loved the course

Staff disrespectful

Staff were completely disrespectful to non-pga players not in the big, make that HUGE, pga tournament qualifier on this day. Shoving them out of the way, making them feel unwelcome from the pro shop to, and especially, the starter. The starter, Dennis, basically saying I don’t have time for you. Come back five minutes from your tee time and I will deal with you. Not exactly a welcome to our golf courses today. And did I detect a snout down to GolfNow players in the pro shop? Yes I am certain of it. Only if we could return the Bayonet welcoming from the former Fort Ord courses personnel at OUR home course. Really make them feel welcome. A day to remember.

Big Time Golf Course

Bayonet is a big time golf course with some great holes from start to finish. You will get everything you want out of a round here at a great price.

There is a wide variety of holes and several elevation changes throughout the track. Hole 9 is the most difficult par 4 I have ever played, long dogleg right to an elevated green surrounded by bunkers. Good luck getting there in 2!

Bayonet lists their price at $145 per round, but we played twice by booking through GN. We got a prime morning time for $69 and an afternoon time for $45. Each included cart. Make sure you look for deals online before booking through the pro shop.

The golf course was in pretty good shape and had quick greens. Also there are no water hazards on the entire course. (It's tough enough without them) You will have plenty of ocean views throughout your round. We finished our final round right at sunset and the setting was spectacular.

You will not be disappointed with a challenging round at Bayonet. This is a wonderful golf facility!

Enjoyable round!

Course is beautiful with many ocean views in the background. On the 4th hole as a bonus, a deer decided to meander about 40 yards in front of us as we were about to tee off. Several elevated tees, and greens, with some interesting dog legs. Greens were quick but fair. My only complaint is that the course could use more obvious yard markers, as distances were often “guesstimates”, since I forgot my gps watch at home. Very enjoyable round! I would definitely play it again on my next visit here.

Great ocean views

Lots of bunkers. Not much sand in them. Some deer

Brilliant value for money

I played spyglass three days before and the challenge and condition of Bayonet was better by a considerable length. The value for the green fees was excellent , we had a great day and felt we would return.

Bayonet - Great Price and Pace of Play

As usually Bayonet is a great value. Better still, playing in the morning during the week allows for a quick pace of play. The wife and I payed a twosome with cart in 3:15. Really took our time overall. No one in front or behind. We have had same experience many times at Bayonet and Blackhorse.

Weekday in Monterey

It had been about 3 years since I last played at Bayonet. I called for a tee time and the Pro shop wanted to charge $30.00 more to make a tee time with Pro Shop. I did with with Golf Now and Saved a lot of $$$$.

The pro shop said that the green were in great conditions and that the Green did not have any sand or top dressing on them. I hit the first green in regulation. I noticed that my ball did not bite or spin back. When I reached the green and marked my ball. There was a mix of Sand and top dressing. I was not pleased, finished the round and should have spoken with the golf director but did not. Being honest about course conditions is so important to low handicappers like myself.

Course condition

The traps are in bad need of sand. Grass growing in some, club counted instead of passing under the ball. Greens a loudly use improvement, some bare spots. But still a great golf course.

Beautiful Bayonet

I love this course, the setting is spectacular with views of the Monterey Bay. The course is very challenging with many bunkers and elevated greens. The greens were fast but fair. Once you figure out that everything breaks towards the ocean. I linked up with some great guys and has a wonderful day. I visit the area every year and try to get a round in every time at Bayonet. I’ve played many courses in the area and it is my favorite, along with its twin course Black Horse.
I think those courses are the best value in the area.

Great course, but aeriation was a problem

I have not played Bayonet since it was taken over from the Army, this is my first time. The course was in great shape, except the greens had been aerated within the last two weeks and nobody warned us. i probably would have played anyway.. The new rebuild makes the course a little easier since some tree removal and trimming took place.

Good course, Good day!

Greens punched and fairways blotchy

I play this course about once per month. It’s normally in reasonable shape but not so this week. The greens were recently punched and sanded. The fairways are blotchy. Many of the tee boxes are sandy as well. There is also a fair bit of irrigation maintenance underway, resulting in open trenches and bare dirt along a few fairways. I would wait at least a few weeks before playing Bayonet. Black Horse appears to be in better shape at the moment. Course management understands the state of Bayonet and, at least today, provided vouchers for a future round for those who paid full price today.

James Newhouse

The course had been punched one day before we played. The greenskeepers were sweeping sand as we approached each green. The rough looked like Scotland on a bad day. To top it off, "paying players" we're given a free round due to the awful conditions. However since we had booked 8 players, 4 of whom had "hot deals" the head of the pro shop gave free times to the other foresome, not us, despite the fact that all of us played the same lousy course. I can't,give a positive review to such a chickenshit operation.

great staff

loads of fun almost forgot to look at beautiful views

Great course. Hard greens

Played this course last year when it was cart path only. Did not enjoy the frequent hikes across the fairways and some very tough lies.

This time it was 90 degree rule and much more enjoyable. The greens have been recently scarified and are very hard, fast and true.

Rough is short but tough to hit out of. Take your lumps and use a 5 iron.

Overall a very good day.

Carmel, California