BlackHorse at Bayonet/Black Horse Golf Course

Following a $13 million renovation at this 36-hole former military facility, Black Horse Golf Course was not only dramatically improved, but now comparable to its more revered sister course, Bayonet. Black Horse has long been considered the easier of the two, but that's not exactly a given now with the improvements and lengthening by golf course architect Gene Bates. Its serrated bunkers may be a little easier to get out of than the cavernous craters on Bayonet, and the fairways are little more generous, but Black Horse makes up for it with more undulating and difficult greens. The renovation also opened up the views to Monterey Bay for both courses. Trees were trimmed, and both courses now have an overall cleaner look, especially with the latest bentgrass turf from tee to green.
Black Horse Golf Club
Scorecard for Black Horse
Black M: 73.7/136 535 247 391 445 198 265 395 550 421 3447 415 449 508 460 398 224 326 192 605 3577 7024
Blue M: 71.5/131 508 214 355 401 179 265 375 520 399 3216 391 418 482 422 365 179 308 166 586 3317 6533
White M: 68.8/125 452 183 330 352 152 228 326 482 362 2867 369 388 446 372 345 138 292 156 537 3043 5910
Red W: 65.1/116 410 128 270 314 109 193 295 385 299 2403 343 308 401 330 322 96 263 125 493 2681 5084

Year Built 1964
Greens Jacklin T1 Bentgrass
Architect Gene Bates (2008) Chris Gray (1998)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Bayonet BlackHorse Golf Academy & Performance Center"

Greens

Great test of golf greens fast and true would play again

Fun day

Had a good time. Pace was slow but it was a beautiful day so it wasn’t so bad. Pin positions were brutal

Great views but tough greens.

I played this Friday for the first time and it was a fun round. The course was in good shape and the weather was nice. My only advice for anyone else who might want to go here is to not expect to score well. The greens are undulating, difficult to read, and very punishing if you're in the wrong spot. I would need to play this at least a few more times to do well.

Excellent conditions at Blackhorse

Played on Saturday and the day could not have been better. Started right on time and our foursome played the course in 4 hours. Staff and starter were friendly and helpful. When you play here, try to make time to warm-up. The practice facility is first-rate. The greens are hard, fast, and true. Bunkers are also in good shape. I have played this course many times and have never seen it in better condition. There's a lot of great golf in Monterey, but Blackhorse/Bayonet continues to be one of my favorites(and it will test your game)!

Great course had a great time

I played black horse around noon and was paired with a two some and a single. The single played just the front nine. Several groups in front so it was going to be tough getting a quick round on a normally empty Tuesday. But the course was in good condition and we had a lot of fun. Water bottles available on the tenth tee so don't miss it. Tall trees line most of the holes, great fairways and fast greens some may need a little repair here and there. Overall a great time to be had at this 36 hole golf course!

Family outing

Fairways were a little thin. Overall a good course but a little expensive.

Good day @ Black Horse

Great day playing Black Horse. Pretty challenging and fun! Other than the long grass in the rough on the back 9 I’m really satisfied ! Not much to complain about! Great day?

Trust Me

Pretend you wanted to simply get away. And when you did. You complained about the fairway. And the Green. Only when you where done you realized it was you and everything else between. Was like remembering to take a taking a deep breath. And it was the best dang course you have ever played.

Blackhorse

The course layout is outstanding- all aspects were in great shape except the Sand traps - could use some attention and grooming. Beautiful course, with very challenging greens.

Rip off

This is nothing more than a $25 muny course. No water on the course. Porta pottys

No refreshment cart. No ranger. Tee boxes and fairways in horrible condition. My friend and I have played over 200 courses from Maui to Maine. This is by far the biggest rip off. Don't waste your time and money.

A day at Black Horse

The fairways were spacious that is the good news. The greens quite undulating that is the bad. Otherwise the course well manicured!!

BLACK HORSE COURSE

Played Black Horse for the first time. I have played Bayonet several times. Black Horse is very difficult. I don't know that it is much easier than Bayonet. The Marine air and soft conditions mean less distance and not much roll. I have a 3 handicap and shot 78. The course played very long today. Short irons don't seem to go far. Probably more wind up high than you think at times. Greens were soft and fairly quick. They were sanded not long ago. Lot of undulations and hard to sink mid to long range putts. Seems like you never get an easy straight putt. Love the course but I think I would have more fun playing the blue tees next time. Black tees just beat you up after a while.

spirit of golf

Bayonet is probably more challenging, but Black Horse is no push-over. Hit about half the greens in reg., but could never find a pitch mark - this is not a complaint - just testament to near-perfect condition(the entire area is sand-based soil). The bunkering for this (& Bayo.) is testing- plan on having to get out of a few during your round. On a day when it was 90 degrees just four miles away, we were playing through ground hugging marine layer, blowing in from Monterey Bay; sun peeked through for last three holes.Fantastic!

Real disappointed

Born and raised in Santa Cruz CA. Never could afford to play this course when I was younger. I recently moved to NY city and have been there for the last 3 years. Came back to California for the first time hoping for a enjoyable round with my friends I haven’t seen in years at a course I’ve never been able to play.

The course was slow. We had slow groups in front of us holding us up. We remained calm and cool even though the group behind us was constantly hitting into us, even came close to hitting our cart a few times. When they arrived at the hole we were teeing off they would make comments about our shots and try to hassle us to keep moving. Even though the group in front was holding us up.

At one point the Marshall came up and began to tell us we need to pick up the pace even though we were on point. We tried to explain and he didn’t want anything to do with us. I was offended and extremely disappointed in this round. I will never come back

Greens were horrible! Extreme undulation and NO grass on them. Extremely fast. Very confusing between 7 and 8. Should be better signs for directions!!!

Carmel, California