BlackHorse at Bayonet/Black Horse Golf Course

Staff Friendliness

Following a $13 million renovation at this 36-hole former military facility, Black Horse Golf Course was not only dramatically improved, but now comparable to its more revered sister course, Bayonet. Black Horse has long been considered the easier of the two, but that's not exactly a given now with the improvements and lengthening by golf course architect Gene Bates. Its serrated bunkers may be a little easier to get out of than the cavernous craters on Bayonet, and the fairways are little more generous, but Black Horse makes up for it with more undulating and difficult greens. The renovation also opened up the views to Monterey Bay for both courses. Trees were trimmed, and both courses now have an overall cleaner look, especially with the latest bentgrass turf from tee to green.
Black Horse Golf Club
Scorecard for Black Horse
Black M: 73.7/136 535 247 391 445 198 265 395 550 421 3447 415 449 508 460 398 224 326 192 605 3577 7024
Blue M: 71.5/131 508 214 355 401 179 265 375 520 399 3216 391 418 482 422 365 179 308 166 586 3317 6533
White M: 68.8/125 452 183 330 352 152 228 326 482 362 2867 369 388 446 372 345 138 292 156 537 3043 5910
Red W: 65.1/116 410 128 270 314 109 193 295 385 299 2403 343 308 401 330 322 96 263 125 493 2681 5084

Year Built 1964
Greens Jacklin T1 Bentgrass
Architect Gene Bates (2008) Chris Gray (1998)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Bayonet BlackHorse Golf Academy & Performance Center"

A day at Black Horse

The fairways were spacious that is the good news. The greens quite undulating that is the bad. Otherwise the course well manicured!!

BLACK HORSE COURSE

Played Black Horse for the first time. I have played Bayonet several times. Black Horse is very difficult. I don't know that it is much easier than Bayonet. The Marine air and soft conditions mean less distance and not much roll. I have a 3 handicap and shot 78. The course played very long today. Short irons don't seem to go far. Probably more wind up high than you think at times. Greens were soft and fairly quick. They were sanded not long ago. Lot of undulations and hard to sink mid to long range putts. Seems like you never get an easy straight putt. Love the course but I think I would have more fun playing the blue tees next time. Black tees just beat you up after a while.
Staff Friendliness Good

spirit of golf

Bayonet is probably more challenging, but Black Horse is no push-over. Hit about half the greens in reg., but could never find a pitch mark - this is not a complaint - just testament to near-perfect condition(the entire area is sand-based soil). The bunkering for this (& Bayo.) is testing- plan on having to get out of a few during your round. On a day when it was 90 degrees just four miles away, we were playing through ground hugging marine layer, blowing in from Monterey Bay; sun peeked through for last three holes.Fantastic!
Off-course amenities Good

Real disappointed

Born and raised in Santa Cruz CA. Never could afford to play this course when I was younger. I recently moved to NY city and have been there for the last 3 years. Came back to California for the first time hoping for a enjoyable round with my friends I haven’t seen in years at a course I’ve never been able to play. The course was slow. We had slow groups in front of us holding us up. We remained calm and cool even though the group behind us was constantly hitting into us, even came close to hitting our cart a few times. When they arrived at the hole we were teeing off they would make comments about our shots and try to hassle us to keep moving. Even though the group in front was holding us up. At one point the Marshall came up and began to tell us we need to pick up the pace even though we were on point. We tried to explain and he didn’t want anything to do with us. I was offended and extremely disappointed in this round. I will never come back
Staff Friendliness Poor
Pace of Play Poor
Course Conditions Average
Course Layout Good
Value for the Money Good
Course Layout Excellent
Greens were horrible! Extreme undulation and NO grass on them. Extremely fast. Very confusing between 7 and 8. Should be better signs for directions!!!
Staff Friendliness Good
Course Conditions Average
Course Layout Average

Great course.

I played early on Black Horse - very fun course. Lots of undulating greens so very challenging if your putting game is off. Great layout and bunkering. Highly recommended - enjoyed playing here a lot. Will come back.
Off-course amenities Good

review

course was in good shape it ix one of our favorite courses
Staff Friendliness Average