River Club is a popular Ron Garl-designed golf course famous for its unique moundings and positioning of grass and pot bunkers. Front nine are open with all elevated greens. River Club's back nine at are cut into the woods. There is water on 16 holes.

The River Club Golf Course

Year Built 1988
Greens Jones-Dwarf Grass
Architect Ron Garl (1988)

Carts Yes - included in green fees (with GPS)
Pull-carts No

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

Available Sports

Tennis

Greens punched with no notice

I’ve played here several times and it’s a great course. Booked it and arrived to find the greens punched with no notice from the staff. Usually upon booking it will have a notice or even the guy in the pro shop alerting you. Cart guy was grumpy. I would’ve chose another course if I k ew about the aeration. Bartender is a 5 star.

1st Time

Greens were just punched but had a great time playing this course for the first time. Enjoyed the layout.

Still a great deal

The greens are excellent. The tee boxes are good. Fairways are very good. Bunkers need attention. In fairness, we had some extreme downpours of late. Plus the whole COVID thing. The bunker on 15 needs to be rebuilt. Rain washed away some of the front. But overall, I would recommend River Club to anyone. The track is really good. Number 16 was the first island green the area. Try it.

Nice layout

Nice variety of holes with doglegs left and right, challenging par-3’s, and challenging undulating greens. Greens and fairways were in good shape, but tees need some work. On many tee-boxes, it was hard to find a combination of flat or level spot with grass on it.

Recommend Playing

Nice layout and course in general good condition with the exception of some tee boxes.

Commented on 05/02/2020

Thanks for the comments. Tee boxes get pretty beat up on the par 3’s in season. They are about to be leveled and re-sodded this summer as part of our ongoing improvements to the course. Tony

Great Layout

Having played here many times in the past I can attest to what others are saying about the vast improvements that have been made here in the last few years !!! Some of the tee boxes need work, but I'm sure that is in the planning. It is a fantastic layout that challenges you from start to finish, with its beautiful mounding and smallish tricky greens. The tight little par 4 9th shows that holes need not be long to be tough. With all of this said - One thing was not enjoyable, as others in the reviews complained about was this. - I was lucky enough to get the HOT DEAL ( IE: trade tee time) - We basically were treated like second rate citizens - felt like kids in time out being told to wait til 15 minutes before our tee time to check in and get the cart key. NEVER had this done to me at any course EVER. Peace out !

Commented on 05/02/2020

This is the agreement we have in place with the third party site that you dealt with. If you want to go off early, please book directly with the course. The Hot Deal time is at 2:30 as per the agreement. Nothing we can do about it. Thanks so much for the positive comments. I am trying hard to provide golfers with a great experience at a terrific price. Tony

COVID Vigilance

In my last review, about a week ago, I was unhappy about the bag drop person's non distancing and the cart cleaning. That has been totally resolved and is now handled quite well.
Thank you.

Commented on 05/02/2020

Thanks for taking the time to see our policies, which are very detailed. This is a very fluid situation, and we are doing our best to keep everyone safe. Tony

Nice Track

First time I played the course. The course in very good condition.

No show

Unfortunately I did not show up for my tee time due to an unexpected sickness. Due to the current medical environment I felt it would be irresponsible to myself and others. Would not be opposed to some credit from golf now as I’ve always enjoyed playing this course

covid-19

Everything is fine about the course. The person at the bag drop was rushing up to everyone to grab the bags from the cars. He passed out cart keys hand to hand and cleaned the carts by simply hosing them down, no sterilization. Very bad and difficult to avoid him.

Commented on 04/03/2020

Thanks for your comment, However, we have been sending emails to EVERYONE telling them that the cart staff is there only if you need them. Many customers are self loading, and we are encouraging them to do so. Additionally, we are absolutely using sanitizing cleaners on all carts, and making these cleaners and rags available to customers if they want to clean their cart a second time. Your review contains many inaccuracies and you should ask questions and get informed before making reckless comments on the internet.

Fun coarse with lots of challenges

Played an afternoon round. My first time at the course. I enjoyed the diversity of the holes. Several sand traps and water areas made you think about club selection and approach. Turf is in good shape and the greens were excellent.

Fantastic Improvement

This course was awful 3 years ago. The new owner has spent $$$ and it shows. Greens were excellent. Fairways in great shape. A good test of golf

Condition slipping

One of my favourite courses which I play often when I’m in town. The conditions of the course is slipping. The tee blocks were dirt with little good grass. Some of the greens where not in great condition. Over all the course looked unkept

Commented on 03/27/2020

Are you certain you are reviewing the correct course? The conditions, as evidenced by other recent reviews, are excellent. There are numerous courses with "river" in their names. Maybe you played there. The crew has worked very hard, and I get compliments from players every day on course conditions. Anything I can do, please email me at tony@greenfield.golf

Sunday Afternoon

Sunday afternoon golf, pace of play was what you would expect. Staff was very nice. Greens were slow but in good shape.

Rehabbed Gem!!!

Play golf at the River club! You will not be disappointed. I hadn’t played there in a while because of its condition. I heard that it was taken over by a new owner so I decided to check it and was so pleasantly surprised. It has always been an unbelievable course design and now the conditions match the layout. Bag drop staff was very friendly, the golf shop attendant Ben was outgoing and helped us find shoes and balls and gloves. Bev cart swung by often and great food at the halfway house! We are going back tomorrow for 9 holes and trivia in the restaurant. We are very thankful to add this course into our rotation again.

Excellent course excellent facility and very friendly staff.

One of the best courses in manatee and Sarasota counties. Highly recommend course and restaurant. Great course layout. Very nice folks that strive to please the client. In season the course is busy but the staff strives to make your day exceptional. Don’t miss playing this track

Great Day

Great day playing River Club. Course is challenging for low to high handicappers. Greens were fast, hard and true. Sand was very good. Fairways were in good shape. Tee boxes need some love. Pace of play was a little slow, right at 4 hrs for Friday, noon tee time. Staff was great. Cart girl was very friendly. Will be back sooner than later.

Commented on 03/07/2020

Very good challenge, especially the back 9. Rates were very reasonable.

Lakewood Ranch, Florida