View of a green at Black Bear Golf Club.

Style Links
Black Bear Golf Club- Orlando

Year Built 1995
Architect P. B. Dye (1995)

Pull-carts No

Golf Simulator No
Practice Hole No

Walking Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire required

Bar, Restaurant

Clubhouse

Course to play

Great condition .We played in 2.5 hours.Plenty of challenge.New owners inproving the course.

SURPRISED AND DISAPPOINTED BUT OVERALL GOOD COURSE

Great course layout.
Great course conditions.
After a long day in the hospital taking care of COVID 19 patients I was hoping to relax.... It did not work out. I made the mistake of continuing to play 9 more holes with plans to pay for a total of 18 at the end
of the round as I had done in the past. I have been coming here for 2 years. The owner was extremely upset and intercepted me at the 11th hole in a confrontative and condescending manner. Ive only been playing for the last couple of years, so I'm new to the game. Never had I had such a poor interaction in the past at a local golf course. Despite my apologies this gentleman just drove off after I handed him a 20 dollar bill to pay for the rest of the round. He mentioned the he was "too busy" to be chasing people around the golf course. If he would have given me time, I would have mentioned how busy we have been in the hospital treating critically ill patients over the last 6 months during this pandemic.. I understand its a business and based on recent reviews it appears that there have been some other players that have taken advantage of his rates, so I can understand his quick, abrupt and pre-judgemental reaction... Just wished he had better "people skills" to handle the situation...

Commented on 09/24/2020

Why in the world would you think it’s okay to continue to play 9 holes you didn’t pay for? That’s wrong for you to think that’s okay. The owner had every right to be upset with you. Shame on you for thinking that was okay. It’s stealing and unfair no matter who you are or what you do. I had a wonderful experience at this course and the management played an enormous part into helping me have a great day.

Commented on 09/23/2020

Under the new ownership the course has been improved immensely and we just want everyone to abide by the proper rules. We are noticing that it seems in the past customers have not followed the rules of the golf course the way they should have. We don't know of a course anywhere that would prefer the customer to pay after their round, as this customer would have you believe should be done. Anyone that has played here knows you have to drive right by the clubhouse on your way to number 10. This makes it very easy to stop in and pay before you just continue on. On the Covid topic, we appreciate all this customer and anyone else does in the efforts to control this horrible virus. Everyone has a right to a pleasant day regardless of what they do for work. In the last 7 months all of us in this industry have kept on working extremely long hours. We have come into contact with many, many different people and been at risk ourselves. We are new owners making major efforts to improve this golf course and its conditions and in return we just expect guests to respect the course rules and enjoy their day here at Black Bear Golf Club.

DISAPPOINTING BACK 9; CONFRONTATIVE STAFF; OVERALL GREAT COURSE

Great course layout.
Great course conditions.
of the round as I had done in the past. Staff was extremely upset and intercepted me at the 11th hole in a confrontative and condescending manner. Ive only been playing for the last couple of years, so I'm new to the game. Never had I had such a poor interaction in the past at a local are golf course. Despite my apologies this gentleman just drove off after I handed him a 20 dollar bill to pay for the rest of the round. He told me, he was "too busy" to be chasing people around the golf course. If he would have given me time, I would have mentioned how busy we have been in the hospital treating critically ill patients over the last 6 months during this pandemic.. I understand its a business and based on recent reviews it appears that there have been some other players that have taken advantage of his rates, so I can understand his quick, abrupt and prejudgement reaction.....

The lay out was too tight with holes running too close to each other’s.

Disappointed

I was hesitant to play the course after reading some of the reviews from previous golf now players. Arrive to the course and the young man at the pro shop was friendly.
I get to the first tee and tee off, I am mediately noticed that the course has been aerated in the past week or two. Nothing on the Golfnow stated that there was an alert for aeration if the course. This may have changed my mind as to playing at this course. I also noticed that the grass was dry.
So I get to hole 6 and noticed the flag is closer than normal, that is because it’s in the middle of the fairway. Nobody in the pro shop mentioned any problems with any grains etc. The greens themselves were in decent shape but dry. The bunkers need desperate attention, standing water and need to be raked.
It will be a long time before I come back to this course as there are other options close by, Eagle dunes, RedTail. I also noticed the sign on the pro shop door that states as of October 1, there will be a $10 extra charge if you want to ride single. Not thinking about peoples health but more the almighty dollar will also make me not want to come back to this course.

Commented on 09/24/2020

I laugh because people show up (they ride in the same car and walk in together) and ask for separate carts. If you are concerned about the virus please wear a mask but it is okay to share cart even if this virus is going around there are many pre-cautions that hep prevent the spread! I’m so sad that there is poor publicity about this course I had such a wonderful time

Commented on 09/18/2020

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry that your experience here today was less than par. But to address some of your concerns we have not aerated on the course since July. We did recently slice the fairways which helps keeps the fairways in great condition all year round. Visually it can be seen, but it causes no impact on play. The bunkers are raked every morning by our maintenance staff unless there is standing water (in that case nothing can be done until the water drains) and right now during Covid, golfers are encouraged to Not rake bunkers but to do their best to smooth out the sand with their foot.
Since the beginning of the pandemic we have allowed folks to take their own cart and many players are finding that taking their own cart is to their liking or a convenience vs. being a need. We have many friends and family members who are arriving in the same vehicle and sitting around the same restaurant table but request their own cart. The privilege is starting to be abused. The extra wear and tear on the golf course, the golf carts and on the staff with double the amount of carts going out daily causes an increase in maintenance labor and course repairs. Also, golf courses only have a limited number of golf carts per facility and when everyone wants their own cart that decreases the amount of rounds that can be put out each day.
The pandemic has put a tremendous strain on regular operating functions and the adjustments that nave been made to accommodate for the last 7 months are costly and there has been no increase on this facilities end.
As far as hole # 6 goes, we apologize that you were not told about this we did try to remember to inform every golfer in person that this exciting improvement was in process but there was a sign right on the pro shop desk where all golfers who check in sign their receipts noting that our most recent course improvement was completely resurfacing and enlarging the sixth green and there was a temporary green in the fairway while the new green heals and gets ready to reopen. This note also stated that all golfers are welcome to play hole #19 (after playing hole #18) in addition to all the other holes in their round.
We are happy to discuss any of your concerns further if you'd like. Please feel free to call 352-357-4732 and ask for Roger or Sue.

Beware of rude manager and staff

For the second time in as many visits management has been extremely rude and unaccomdating. With multiple courses close by management may want to rethink their approach on how they treat golfers looking to grow the game. Management acts like the course is nice enough to treat patrons however he wants and we will come back regardless. Red Tail and Eagle Dunes are nicer courses with friendlier staff.

Commented on 09/18/2020

We welcome all players here at Black Bear in hopes that everyone will respect and honor the rules of the course and the game. This includes paying a greens fee for each member of your group that is playing. This customer paid for 2 players, showed up with 4 and we had already booked in a third golfer into that group. When this customer showed up to the first tee with 4 players (after only paying for 2 and not telling any staff they actually had 4 players), and 4 sets of clubs they were told that only two had paid and we had booked in a third with them. We DO allow kids under 15 to play for free in the afternoons with a paying adult. Unfortunately this is not allowable during prime time weekend mornings. One person from this group also drove right over our 19th tee box and when was told about it he responded “oh, well its not much of a tee box anyway”. As stated, we welcome all golfers who respect the course and treat it in a way that leaves it in good condition for the next player. We also have a kids program here (PGA Jr. League) which teaches young players the game of golf, also have multiple schools golf teams that play here as well.
There are so many reviews on here that we know we are not able to reply to them all but when situations like this arise we feel we need to let the readers know what actually happened. Keeping golfers following the rules of the course makes it more enjoyable to everyone who plays here. Come see for yourself.

Better than last time but way too slow.

We played this course last in the spring and it was in terrable condition. The condicion was way better but the pace of play was way too slow.

Commented on 09/19/2020

If Covid 19 can spread on an airplane, as studies show and as former passengers know, then it can certainly spread in a golf cart - easily. It is risky and not worth dying over.

Glad I played today

Black Bear Golf Course is about a 30-40 minute drive for me and it was a nice day for the drive today. I my have considered rating 5 stars for the golf course, if not for the pace of the greens. The greens are full of grass but very slow. Aside from that, it was a nice round of golf.

Good course. Great price.

Greens in good shape. Fairways in good condition for most part. Great price. Would recommend!

WARNING

Sign in pro shop says beginning Oct 1, if you want to social distance and not ride with a total stranger it will cost you $10 above the green fee. No one wears a mask now at this course and in a couple of weeks you can pay the price: either choose the virus or pay add'l $10. Should be about 217,000 dead Americans by then from the virus and growing. Estimated 400,000 by Jan 1. SO - no problem, tee it up at Black Bear for the latest exposure to a deadly virus killing thousands daily. Or hand over those hard to get dollars. Management has spoken peasants.

Commented on 09/18/2020

Since the beginning of the pandemic we have allowed folks to take their own cart and many players are finding that taking their own cart is to their liking or a convenience vs. being a need. We have many friends and family members who are arriving in the same vehicle and sitting around the same restaurant table but request their own cart. The privilege is starting to be abused. The extra wear and tear on the golf course, the golf carts and on the staff with double the amount of carts going out daily causes an increase in staff labor, course maintenance labor and course repairs. Also, golf courses only have a limited number of golf carts per facility and when everyone wants their own cart that decreases the amount of rounds that can be put out each day. We will not require single golfers to ride with a stranger if they are grouped up in a foursome as this is a new process that will work to reduce the abuse of this convenience.
The pandemic has put a tremendous strain on regular operating functions and the adjustments that have been made to accommodate for the last 7 months are costly and there has been no increase on this facilities end. We apologize that the strains of the pandemic have caused us to foresee an increase as such but unfortunately in order to continue to maintain the golf course at the level we have been, this increase is necessary. If anyone has any specific questions regarding this new standard please call the Pro shop at 352-357-4732 and ask to speak to a manager for any further clarifications.

Great course in very nice shape. Well worth the trip. Small greens on the front. Accuracy a must into greens. Greens in great shape and roll great. All shots required at this venue. Open tee shots but shots into greens need to be struck well. Worth the price and trip. Good day for golf.

Very surprised at the condition of the course after weeks of rain. There were a couple wet areas but overall drainage is excellent and grass is thick and lush in all playing areas.

Excellent condition

The course was in the best condition we have seen it this year. While it was hot and humid, it was a great rain free day to play. Really enjoyed our round today.

I went through the reviews for courses in this area as my dad and i have played most of them. We decided on this one because they had the best most recent reviews and it did not disappoint. We got there a 1pm just in time for the afternoon showers to start. We stayed and kept playing. By the 4th hole the rain was done and we had the entire course to ourselves. The course was in great shape, definitely challenging, great layout. If you are an experienced golfer it is a great course to play. If you are new, you are in for a long day. The only negative i would say is the cart paths/direction to the cart path could have better signage.

Sorrento, Florida