Year Built 1993
Greens Champion Dwarf Grass
Architect Steve Smyers (1993)

Dress code Proper golf attire is required. Tank tops and cut-offs are not allowed on the course.

Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2017 #4)

Wait to play

This is a nice course, but during this pandemic they are making people ride together. This is outrageous at this time, they are just trying to get an extra $10 for riding by yourself. I suggest waiting until summer to play here. Your life isn't worth it.

Bunker Hill

Great course. Excellant conditions. Defintely target golf. If you miss your spot, you'll be in a bunker. Fairly wide fairways and large greens.....but not flat. It was a fun but challenging round. Well worth playing. Looking forward to returning.

Very non-Florida layout...awesome!

The course was in absolutely spectacular condition. The tee boxes and fairways were lush and green, even coming out of the overseed. The greens were true and thick with grass, a little on the slower side though. If you want a good test of golf with a ton of sand...it's in play on every hole, but water is only on two holes...it's a great spot. One of the best values around.

AlnFitzy

This course is beautiful in its layout and conditions. It has to be one of the best public courses in he state . It is worth the price to see it. Coming back next month

The Best in the Area

If you are questioning your wisdom to spend a few dollars more, this is where to go. The fellows at the bag drop welcome you, the pro shop staff couldn’t be more helpful and the golf course is simply wonderful. You will get plenty of practice from the sand traps, there are many. The greens have come back beautifully and are a pleasure to putt on. The range is available for every club in your bag and the practice green in out in front of the shop. There is no question as to why you would want to play Southern Dunes. The experience is excellent.

Great course but unfriendly pro shop staff

This was our second week of golf at Southern Dunes in 2019 and our foursome was unanimous in rating the course highly with respect to layout, variety of holes, green conditioning and playability. It has much more in the way of elevation changes and bunkers and less water hazards than most Florida courses and that makes for a very interesting game.

Unfortunately the pro shop staff was unfriendly and seemed to feel that they were doing you a favour by serving you.

In summary, the course is one you can play every day and thoroughly enjoy if you can put up with a surly reception in the pro shop.

The cart staff is excellent by the way. Only the pro shop staff (and by inference the senior management) seem to have a negative attitude to their clientele. Disappointing indeed and not in keeping with the quality of the golf course.

Great course terrible pro shop customer service

We had a group of four playing 6 days of golf for our second year in a row
The golf course is positively unique to the traditional Florida golf course and absolutely challenging and enjoyable.
However, the staff in the pro shop was the polar opposite.
They seemed to be a very unhappy group of people and assisted only when pressed to do so
If it was not for the golf course quality, we would have played elsewhere.
We wondered if this might be a top down cultural issue???

Golf Channel

The course is always in fantastic shape. The greens were recovering from a punching about two weeks ago. You can hardly notice. The greens were rolling very nicely and with all of the rain in the area lately, you couldn't even tell.

Stopped in for lunch after our round. Highly recommend the Chicken Parm Sandwich!

Don't miss the chance to play this hidden gem outside of Orlando!

Golf Channel

The course is coming back from the disease in their greens. One of my favorite layouts in the area. Certainly worth the price if you haven't played here before. Greens were a little sandy as they may have been punched a month or so ago. Fairways were in good shape along with the bunkers.

Wow!!

Took advantage of the afternoon rate of $35 and was rewarded, amazingly, by almost getting the course to ourselves. Nobody in front, nobody behind!! Course is in fantastic shape and the layout is superb. Really well bunkered but fairways are generous enough to allow driver from most tee boxes. You could see the greens had been patched at some point but it did not affect putts at all as they were perfectly smooth. Not sure why the course is not on Golfnow but this should not put folks off playing as it is way better than a lot of course charging similar rates. Had a meal afterwards which was very good and service from Lupe in the bar was excellent. I am already looking forward to a return visit!!

One of the Best

Course was in excellent condition. The layout is better than most in the area. Definitely worth the drive over from Tampa. They hosted a group of 16 of us, and everyone enjoyed the day. Greens are challenging, but course is manageable if you avoid the 180+ bunkers.

We will return.

A bit disappointed

We haven't played here in many years but have always loved the layout. The course condition, overall, was excellent, but the greens are distressed. Apparently mold had gotten into the greens and they are being patched, top dressed, etc., but they did not putt well and definitely did not warrant the $100 per person greens fee. Unless they make a major adjustment in the rate or until the greens live up to the $100 greens fee, I would recommend playing elsewhere

Double Header

Every time our foursome comes to Orlando we make sure Southern Dunes is in the rotation and usually we do a double header. I don’t know who the architect was but he did a great job. Every hole has its own challenges and no two are alike. Lots of elevation changes here. Despite some the recovering diseased greens they were running fast and true. We’re never disappointed here.

Urrgghhhh- so disappointing

I love this course and have played it three times in the past. When we called to make a reservation I specifically asked about the greens because I knew they have had issues in the past. We were mislead. The greens we damaged. When we approached the gentleman who checked us in; he admitted he was the one we spoke to on the phone - but was very flippant in his response. He stated- “well that’s what they told me to say!” Seriously, that’s your response? So much for customer service. The course wasn’t worth $100+ in my opinion. Thank god for the friendly Russian bartender who made us laugh after our round. I think her name was Yule.

Staff

Fantastic Course Conditions

My first time playing the course, and it exceeded my expectations. The course was in fantastic shape and I really enjoyed the layout. The only downside to this location is it's distance from Orlando. If you have the chance, I recommend visiting!

One of the best in the Orlando area

Fantastic layout/design, great condition (they even edge the bunkers), a true gem.

Only thing that detracts from it is that its got a lot of houses on the course. Other than that, a delight to play.

Highly recommend it

Great on the eyes and doesn't disappoint!

I played the Southern Dunes Golf and Country Club (SDGCC) course today as part of a Florida State Golf Association (FSGA) one day event. SDGCC is about 7 miles south on Route 27 off exit 55 of I-4.

The par 72 course is surrounded by housing and was designed in 1993 by architect Steve Smyers. I have played several Smyers’ designs and have never been disappointed by them. Southern Dunes was no exception. The course design and layout were beautiful featuring elevation changes not often found in Florida courses. Every hole seemed to be different from any other and presented a scenic challenge with so many sand traps on every hole. The design made you think about placement of tee shots but provided very fair and accessible landing areas on every hole. If you tried to bomb it on many of the holes, you would spend a lot of time hitting out of cavernous and deep traps. I was surprised that the sand traps, on a course with so many traps which require a lot of maintenance, would have every trap so well maintained.

The course is a par 72 that includes five sets of tees with yardages ranging from 7,227 yards down to 4,987 yards. The course and slope ratings range from 75.5 to 68.5 and slopes from 138 to 118. I played tees set up by the FSGA which were equivalent to the white tees. The white tees play to 6,298 yards with a rating of 70.9 and slope of 129.

There are 4 par fives, 10 par fours, and 4 par threes. All the par threes seemed to play downhill and all the holes were picturesque. I have attached several pictures of some of the holes.

Service

I went out to the course the evening before to find it since I was staying at a local hotel and talked to one of the employees about the course. He was very friendly, and I found all the employees to be friendly today when I played the course.

Overall Condition

I was pleased by the condition and appearance of the course. Fairways and tees were in good shape and the greens were in great shape and very consistent to putt. The course was visually very pleasing. I found myself taking pictures on many of the holes.

Clubhouse/Amenities
This course has a restaurant, clubhouse, driving range, and practice green. I had no time to use the driving range or any of the other facilities. The golf carts were modern and clean.

I played the course as part of the FSGA event but found the online rates to be reasonable considering the quality of the course and facilities available. I will look forward to playing the course again

I was very impressed first time out. The conditions were beyond excellent and it is a very good layout. Played 36 in about 6.5 hours with a break for lunch in between so the people saying it’s. 5 hour round must have caught it at a bad time. I will absolutely be back.

Green Grass

This was by far the best course of the week that we played.
The course was in great condition . We played Shingle Creek, Timcuan, Champions Gate and they don't even compare to how nice this course'sconditions whete.

Lake Alfred, Florida