Southern Dunes Golf & Country Club

Scorecard for Southern Dunes
Black M: 75.5/138 426 374 233 555 378 187 454 413 542 3562 471 216 551 461 167 369 548 421 461 3665 7227
Blue M: 73.3/134 390 359 221 520 361 179 440 395 524 3389 451 197 517 429 149 347 507 397 420 3414 6803
White M: 70.9/129 350 333 197 474 314 167 409 364 498 3106 420 166 481 401 134 326 499 384 381 3192 6298
Gold M: 68.0/120 W: 72.5/126 291 286 127 438 280 138 375 327 485 2747 383 140 455 345 122 303 473 342 323 2886 5633
Red W: 68.5/118 249 252 95 384 239 103 345 304 450 2421 363 113 418 298 91 257 439 303 284 2566 4987

Year Built 1993
Greens Champion Dwarf
Architect Steve Smyers

Dress code Proper golf attire is required. Tank tops and cut-offs are not allowed on the course.

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2017 #4)

Amazing Food 4
Family Dining 4
Entertaining Clients 5

Great on the eyes and doesn't disappoint!

I played the Southern Dunes Golf and Country Club (SDGCC) course today as part of a Florida State Golf Association (FSGA) one day event. SDGCC is about 7 miles south on Route 27 off exit 55 of I-4. The par 72 course is surrounded by housing and was designed in 1993 by architect Steve Smyers. I have played several Smyers’ designs and have never been disappointed by them. Southern Dunes was no exception. The course design and layout were beautiful featuring elevation changes not often found in Florida courses. Every hole seemed to be different from any other and presented a scenic challenge with so many sand traps on every hole. The design made you think about placement of tee shots but provided very fair and accessible landing areas on every hole. If you tried to bomb it on many of the holes, you would spend a lot of time hitting out of cavernous and deep traps. I was surprised that the sand traps, on a course with so many traps which require a lot of maintenance, would have every trap so well maintained. The course is a par 72 that includes five sets of tees with yardages ranging from 7,227 yards down to 4,987 yards. The course and slope ratings range from 75.5 to 68.5 and slopes from 138 to 118. I played tees set up by the FSGA which were equivalent to the white tees. The white tees play to 6,298 yards with a rating of 70.9 and slope of 129. There are 4 par fives, 10 par fours, and 4 par threes. All the par threes seemed to play downhill and all the holes were picturesque. I have attached several pictures of some of the holes. Service I went out to the course the evening before to find it since I was staying at a local hotel and talked to one of the employees about the course. He was very friendly, and I found all the employees to be friendly today when I played the course. Overall Condition I was pleased by the condition and appearance of the course. Fairways and tees were in good shape and the greens were in great shape and very consistent to putt. The course was visually very pleasing. I found myself taking pictures on many of the holes. Clubhouse/Amenities This course has a restaurant, clubhouse, driving range, and practice green. I had no time to use the driving range or any of the other facilities. The golf carts were modern and clean. Value I played the course as part of the FSGA event but found the online rates to be reasonable considering the quality of the course and facilities available. I will look forward to playing the course again
Pace of Play Good
Course Layout Excellent
I was very impressed first time out. The conditions were beyond excellent and it is a very good layout. Played 36 in about 6.5 hours with a break for lunch in between so the people saying it’s. 5 hour round must have caught it at a bad time. I will absolutely be back.

Green Grass

This was by far the best course of the week that we played. The course was in great condition . We played Shingle Creek, Timcuan, Champions Gate and they don't even compare to how nice this course'sconditions whete.

Excellent

Just played this course and the conditions where the best we played all week. Fairways, greens and tee boxes where in excellent condition. Played Shingle Creek, Grand Cyoress, Mission Inn El Campeon and Champions International and this was the best by far.

Pace of play

If your interested in playing a five hour round then this is the place. Paying over 100.00 and having to wait on every single shot is not my idea of a fun round of golf. When I went in to the pro shop to complain about the pace they just looked at me and did not say a word. It's as if a five hour rounds is the norm for them. I have played courses in the area that are a quarter of the price that control the pace of play. This course has no marshals therefore if there is a group hoping up play then everybody else has to suffer. The course is not worth the aggravation and I will not be going back.
Staff Friendliness Poor
Pace of Play Poor
Value for the Money Poor
Course Layout Good

The REGULARS encourage slow play

We played the front 9 in about 2hr 45 min. 3 groups waiting on the par 3's. No marshal. When we went into the pro shop to complain. We were told the 3 groups of threesomes were "REGULARS AND THERE WAS NOTHING HE COULD DO" as he has spoken to them before. We were told if we wanted to play 18 holes quicker we would have to play the front 9 twice. If we wanted to play the same holes twice we would have gone to a cheaper 9 hole course. The course was nice BUT WHEN YOU MISS MANAGE A GOOD PRODUCT IT BECOMES A BAD PRODUCT. He credited us half our money forcing us to comeback and he knows the REGULARS are coming back so we may have to relive another terrible round or suck it up and let them keep the our money. There lots of courses in the area and this is one to avoid. The bar staff, the beer cart girl and staff at the bag drop were excellent but had to give only one star because in my opinion the pro shop staff are in control of the total golf course. And I couldn' score lower than 1 star on pace of play but it deserves to be lower than 1 star.
Staff Friendliness Poor
Pace of Play Poor
Off-course amenities Poor
Value for the Money Poor
Course Layout Good

Great day at Southern Dunes

Unseasonably cold today. Played 36 holes and ate lunch in less than 7 hours. The course was extremely challenging yet so enjoyable. The golf staff was professional and the dining staff was efficient. Will be back when in the Orlando area again.
Value for the Money Good

ALWAYS perfect!

I love this course. The conditions were incredible, the fairways and greens were absolutely PERFECT!!! If I still lived in this area, I would play this course a lot! Keep up the great work!
Course Layout Excellent

Why Haven't I played this Course Sooner???

Wow. What an amazing round. Fantastic conditions. The greens were perhaps the best I have ever played in my life. Smooth and fast. Played in under 4 hours with a buddy, and we went out again right away for a free replay from TeeTimes USA booking. Have been talking about playing this course for almost 7 years. Do yourself a favor, do the 30 minute drive from Lake Buena Vista and try this one. Just as good, if not better, than others in area costing twice as much. You will not be disappointed (unless you keeping having to play out of the endless traps!!!).

Fantastic course in A1 condition

Although I have been staying in a villa in the Southern Dunes complex, this is the first time I have played here. The staff in the pro shop were helpful. Bob who was in charge of the darts was super helpful and the hire clubs were also excellent (new complete set of Cobra F6). The course buggies with course maps were really helpful given my first time here. The carts were also picking up the distance to the actual pin placements rather than just the usual front, middle and back yardages. This is not the cheapest course in the area but it was definitely in the best condition of all courses I played in my 2 weeks in Florida. I would definitely play this course again. Being in a villa looking over the 7th green I can assure you that the green keepers work very hard in not only maintaining the course, but every day they moved the pin placements. Great course layout, superb condition for August, reasonably priced and very helpful staff ( who also loaned me some clubs to use on the range). Cannot fault it, would just live to play it more often !
Value for the Money Good