View of a green at Penderbrook Golf Club

Penderbrook Golf Club

Year Built 1980
Fairways Rye Grass
Architect Ed Ault (1980) Roy Case Brian Ault (1980) Tom Clark (1980)

Clubs No

Dress code Men: Collared Shirt, Slacks, Shorts. Ladies: Collared/Sleeved Shirt, Slacks, Shorts, Capris. No denim.

Restaurant

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities

Love the improvements

I started playing Penderbrook a little more than a year ago. I would say, at the time, it needed some work. However, they have been systematically upgrading and improving everything over time.
I feel the club has a lot of character from the super friendly staff to Mulligan's Pub. (I heartily recommend the Sunday buffet. Great food, great value for money,)
The staff is on top of pace of play more so than I have seen at other clubs, which is appreciated. I consider this a very "fair" course for the player, in that you can play a good round without having to be lucky. While there are many courses closer to us, Penderbrook is worth the extra few minute drive.

Very nice

I live here in the community and have watched the improvements yearly. It has become a very enjoyable course. Not necessarily for a beginner but the staff if very helpful. The fairways are tight and the bunkers are being upgraded to an excellent surface. Due to the extreme wet weather this summer some of the fairways need a good drying out but that should happen this fall. Kudos to the staff and maintenance staff. This is a public course after all.

Impressive improvements underway at Penderbrook

I tend to pop up here about once every three years to see how it's doing and was impressed with what I saw yesterday: Ownership is investing significantly in the course, with new bunker/green surrounds in place on a number of holes (including 3 and 7) and a major tree-removal/daylighting effort on 7-9 and 18. It's good to see this course getting some love and attention after its up-and-down (mostly down) history over the past 20+ years.

Despite that, I put conditions as "average" as they vary hole-by-hole from "Excellent" to "really bad". As other reviewers note, the greens are in excellent condition, the bunkers are in good shape, but the rough was unmowed, uneven, and penal. Fairways ranged from good to virtually unplayable, such as on the 8th.

And while I appreciate ownership's investment in the course, the layout will never be a great one...tightly hemmed in by townhouses, single-family homes, and Route 50, it's a narrow, target-style course that never quite flows well: back-to-back-to-back long water carries on 8-9-10, the weird short par4 's on 11 and 12, followed by a few solid holes coming in. Nos. 3 and 13, both short par 3's over hazards, are probably the most memorable holes.

They're offering a discount for walking, but beware: a long trek between 12 and 13 and through the neighborhood between 17 and 18 means you'll essentially walk 20 holes for the price of 18.

Penderbrook's advantage is being centrally located in Fairfax County, making it convenient for many and that's worth keeping it in mind, especially if the current improvements can be matched with overall maintenance.

Commented on 09/14/2020

Hello, cjpayne6046. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We have projects underway to recover the tee boxes, fairways, greens, and sandtraps. We work hard to maintain and improve our course, and we are proud of the excellent experience we can deliver. Thanks for choosing Penderbrook Golf Club.

Nice greens; rough fairways

Nice course with good variety of holes. Tight fairways and tough rough. Recent rain made fairways soggy and a few were in bad shape. Like a few courses around here it has poor drainage in a few holes. Looks like they are trying to restore the bad fairways. Greens were in very good shape and putted very true.
$70 seems high for a round on this course but being Saturday morning and rates at nearby courses, it’s not out of line.
Staff were great. I booked as single and no one else booked the tee time. Starter asked 4some ahead of me to swap tee times so I was first one out and able to finish in a bit over 2 hrs.
Will play here again but may wait for next season to see if fairways improve.

Commented on 09/14/2020

Hi SMIBgolfer. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We appreciate your honest feedback, and we look forward to having you back at Penderbrook Golf Club!

First time playing here

This was the first time that I have played this course. Staff was extremely friendly. Greens were true and in very good condition. I will be back.

Commented on 09/14/2020

Your feedback is important to us! Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Penderbrook Golf Club.

Ehh.. not for avg golfer

Course was challengining... narrow fairways, and different elevations.. fairways were less than ideal conditions for the price of the course and greens were not as well maintained as expected. The fairway was very torn up and the the first cut was super deep and tough to hit out of. Not the most friendly of courses for average golfers.

Not well maintained

First cut off the fairway was ridiculously tall. Sand traps were hard as dirt.

Commented on 09/14/2020

We appreciate your honest feedback. We hope you'll give us another chance again in the future.

Commented on 09/14/2020

Thanks so much for rating us 4 stars, and we look forward to your next round with us!

Many fairways under repair.

The second hole fairway is currently demolished, and crews are actively digging Trenches during play. They should honestly close the hole until it’s finished. About 4-5 other fairways are in a state of disrepair. The good holes are lovely, and the greens are consistent and roll well. Pace of play and is okay despite tee times being stacked tighter than most courses.

Commented on 09/08/2020

Hi. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We understand your frustration with the construction projects underway. Please bear with us as we work diligently to make improvements. We hope you'll give us another try in the future. Thanks for choosing Penderbrook Golf Club.

Course in poor condition; Unfriendly staff

See title. At $70/person we thought we were going to a well maintained and professional course. Not so much. Lady at the front desk was rude,and the course was looking dead as a door nail. Would not recommend. Will not be returning, most likely

Commented on 08/31/2020

Hello, and thank you for your review. Please feel free to reach out to our manager, Bryce, to discuss this more. We would love to hear your additional feedback, and what we can do to improve your next round. Contact: babrams@penderbrookgolfclub.com

Hidden fees!

When I arrived for my tee time, I was instructed to rake a golf cart. After I was grouped into my foursome and we were all assigned carts, we were told that we would have to move into each others carts or pay an extra fee to ride alone. We were especially surprised about this because most courses have restrictions due to COVID-19. We were not allowed to start until we either combined carts or paid up. The manager came over and was very rude. The older gentlemen that I was playing with were uncomfortable riding with a stranger and got upset by the ultimatum. Management needs to change their rules or make the golfers more aware so that they are not blindsided by the extra fee.

Commented on 08/31/2020

Hello. Thank you for coming out to our course. Our COVID policy has been on our website since we put these precautions in place. We recommend for the future that when you book a Hot Deal through GolfNow, you always double check the website of the course you will be playing, especially during these times. We are also working very hard to accommodate to all golfers and ensure the health and well-being of all. Thanks for taking the time to write us a review.

Commented on 08/26/2020

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Penderbrook Golf Club.

Commented on 08/26/2020

We appreciate you rating us 4 stars!

SHORT TRACK

Shorter track than normal but still demands to be in the fairway. Course was super wet by the greens rolled nice. Good for the 42 dollars I payed.

Commented on 08/16/2020

Thanks for your review. We're pleased to see you had an enjoyable time at our course. We hope to see you back here again soon!

DON'T GO THERE TO PLAY GOLF DURING COVIC 19 SITUATION

Today, my sister, her husband and I booked to play in Penderbrook.
(We are all seniors and weekly players.) They said a man had to play with us and had to use a cart together because they only allow two carts for the same tee time, and if I would not want to share a cart with him, I had to pay extra $11, even though my fee includes the cart use.
I objected to share a cart with a stranger in this COVIC 19 situation. I explained I may contaminate him or be contaminated by him, because I cannot wear a facial mask in 95F heat while playing. They said that's your problem and their policy is that a player has to pay extra $11 if he or she would not share a cart.

I really wanted to cancel our playing but could not, ,because I prepaid through GOLFNOW, and paid extra $11 not to share a cart with a stranger.

Other golf courses in Virginia do not do like Penderbrook. They would not even let a stranger join together in this COVIC 19 caos if players reject. I was so disappointed by Pender Brook management. DON'T GO TO PLAY THERE IF YOU THINK YOUR SAFETY MATTERS.

Commented on 08/26/2020

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to review the course. Safety is our number one priority, and we are working hard to uphold this standard. You mentioned you did pay to get an extra cart, but did not receive one. We are diligent about upholding these requests to ride alone. Please feel free to reach out to us if this was the case. Thanks for playing Penderbrook Golf Club.

Commented on 08/12/2020

Also, I saw you said other courses let you have your own cart. I play as a single 90% of the time? Any courses you recommend where I can ride by myself?

Commented on 08/12/2020

Same thing happened to me. They made me pay the 11$ but not the other person. It was my tee time,was there early yet I had to pay and the stranger did not! They definitely don't care about the safety of players. Plenty of carts too, it was weekday with no one on the course. It's a shame. It's a very flawed policy since they don't enforce who has to pay.

Commented on 08/03/2020

Thank you so much for the great rating. Thanks for choosing Penderbrook Golf Club.

Commented on 08/03/2020

Hello, agwash. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very seriously at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Penderbrook Golf Club.

Commented on 08/12/2020

Thanks for the rating. We see you rated the course 1 star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Penderbrook Golf Club.

Oakton, Virginia