TPC Sawgrass - THE PLAYERS Stadium Course

The world renowned Players Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass is the first course of its kind. Built with the intention of being home to THE PLAYERS, it was created for spectators. It was designed as the first stadium-style golf course, offering fans clear and stunning views. The challenging layout is routed so that no two consecutive holes ever play in the same direction. Traditional Scottish links-style bunkers, sandy waste areas, and water hazards that come into play on every hole make the Stadium Course even more interesting. There are also hundreds of oaks, pines, and palms throughout the course. One of the most widely known, and feared, holes in golf is No. 17, notorious for its treacherous island green.
The PLayers 72 7245 yards 76.4 155
Blended 72 6406 yards 72.0 147
Green (W) 72 5019 yards 70.7 131
Scorecard for The Players Stadium
TPC M: 76.4/155 423 532 177 384 471 393 442 237 583 3642 424 558 358 181 481 449 523 137 462 3573 7215
Blue M: 73.3/149 394 507 160 359 446 360 407 195 546 3374 392 519 332 156 436 421 486 128 426 3296 6670
Blended M: 72.0/147 394 507 160 359 422 360 382 168 522 3274 388 469 332 156 377 366 486 128 426 3128 6402
White M: 70.3/140 W: 76.1/150 360 469 134 324 422 333 382 168 522 3114 351 469 313 141 377 366 470 115 387 2989 6103
Green/White W: 72.1/135 360 381 134 263 360 333 329 121 453 2734 351 395 313 141 334 366 410 115 336 2761 5495
Green M: 65.1/120 W: 70.7/131 292 381 97 263 360 269 329 121 453 2565 247 395 243 109 334 288 410 92 336 2454 5019

Year Built 1981

Caddies Yes

• Golf Advisor: Ginella's Top 50 U.S. Courses You Can Play (2016 #13) (2015 #21)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S. (2017 #2)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Layout in the U.S. (2017 #2)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Florida (2017 #1) (2016 #11)
  • Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor (2017 #1)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Course Conditions in the U.S. (2017 #2)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2017 #5) (2016 #2)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 25

Virginia Advisor

Tempered Expectations Make For The Best Experience

The Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass is perhaps the most sought-after public access course on the East Coast. For many including myself, it represents the closest you can get to playing like the pros. But every dream has its reality and while this is an exceptional course, if you go in playing your first round here with the wrong mindset, you may come away thinking otherwise.

The hardest thing to do when writing up a review of a new course is to separate your performance-based feelings immediately following your round from how the course actually presented itself. To give this review some perspective, I scored 18 shots higher here than I did at a similarly challenging course (Tobacco Road) just a few days before. To say I was disappointed with how I played would be an understatement but Pete Dye’s diabolical design of this course shoulders at least part of the blame.

The design of this course may seem really familiar from TV or a video game but I struggled to recognize many of the holes from the ground level. Even the iconic 17th looks a lot different when not surrounded by 30,000 spectators. In the end, you’re playing a golf course and how the design features interact with your play matter a lot more than how familiar a scene may seem to you.

I can’t overstate how much water comes into play on this course. More than any course I’ve played and seemingly on every hole. I recorded a water hazard penalty on 7 different holes during my round and I lucked out of a couple others. Bunkers too are a true hazard with not only fluffy sand but steep sides both greenside and along the fairways. Those two aspects alone can make for a long and frustrating round but Sawgrass also throws in extra thick rough and some pretty unreceptive greens to go along along with it.

When you’re spending $200-500 on this round, most of your money is going towards the course conditions, facilities, and staff. The conditions of nearly every square inch of the course are perfect. The greens aren’t as fast as you might think but they still have plenty of speed and subtle break and you’ll be fighting 3-putts all day. Fairways, rough, bunkers, and tees are all world-class. The practice facilities are unrivaled with a superb driving range (complete with a replica 17th green), chipping/pitching green and multiple putting greens that were all in fantastic condition as well.

Overall, I found the staff to be extremely professional and several of them were friendly but you get the sense from the time you drop your bag to the time you haul it back to your car that TPC Sawgrass is a massive operation. I interacted with a higher number of staff members than any other course and got the impression everyone had just enough time to greet me and provide me with the information I needed but maybe not enough time to be truly warm and friendly. With a place that’s getting in 400+ rounds a day from golfers expecting the moon it’s pretty understandable that you aren’t going to get the personalized experience you might be used to at a local club. There was a scheduling mix-up around the time I tee’d off that caused our starter to be a bit more flustered than I would have liked, but hopefully that was a rare circumstance.

I was pretty nervous that my 3:10 tee time would run too long to finish with enough daylight but with an unusual 20-minute spacing between us and the group in front, my foursome made decent time and finished right at 7:45. That said, the permanent cart-path only rules make it hard to play efficiently. I highly recommend walking with a caddy.

I am above all else a value golfer. Whether I’m paying $15 or $300 for a round I want to feel like I got more out of the experience than what I paid. I was able to snag perhaps the last sub-$300 tee time of the season and even that didn’t feel like an exceptional value when I drove away. Yes, the clubhouse is REALLY nice and yes I can tell people I’ve played there now. But I definitely feel there are public-access courses that offer a better value. Will I be back? Probably. But I’m not “dye-ing” to go back right away.

Bucket List Course Caliber, but not worth $400.

This is a bucket list course, and I'd say play it once, but after that, not worth the $400. There are other Bucket List courses that would be more worth the $400. I think I'd save the small fortune and go play Streamsong for less than $200 (this time of year). Can't say anything bad about the conditions or layout, but I keep coming back to the $400. I admit to having golfers remorse. I should have stopped after my first visit. Not worth a second visit. Overall, I guess hold your nose and play it once, but many other similar caliber courses that you can get more value out of. Also, cart path only makes for a long day.

Georgia Advisor

AWECOME Course, Fantastic facilities

This was my second time playing the course and it still has that special feel and excitement when you drive up and see the spectacular club house. It looks like you are driving up to a castle.

Everyone of the staff is friendly and helpful from the bag people to the proshop to the caddie we had (Ryan).

The locker room attendant was great. He polished our golf shoes and replaced the spikes. He was great.

The course conditions are amazing and the course is immaculate. They have the best practice facilities and practice area of any course I have ever been to and played.

The ONLY draw back is the $400 price tag. I expect $400 or $500 at Pebble Beach. This course seems like it should be a $300 or #350 course and not $400. However, it is worth the price even if it is a little more than expected. Once at TPC, you will be treated excellent from arrival to departure.

What a Gem

This was my second time playing this course and it still has that great feeling when we drive up. The staff is super friendly from the bag people to the proshop to the caddies. We had Dave as our caddy who we specifically requested from last time. He’s the best caddy we have ever had and my group has had many caddies at different courses. He knows the course so well and was just a great conversation. We made his work cut out for him and he was still all smiles. Also when you get there, speak to Brad, he is the locker room attendant. We played Dye Valley a few days before and talked with him for over an hour. We came back a few days later and he remembered us and was super welcoming again. He didn’t have to talk to us besides the usually pleasantries, but he did. He also gave us great courses to play outside of TPC. Dave and Brad are worth the price alone. When it comes to course conditions there’s no point reviewing them because the course is immaculate and this is their offseason. Spend the money to play here. It’s worth every penny and you’ll be treated like a king or queen from arrival to departure.

Superb Course

This course, save the final three holes, seems to lack that "it" that makes a course seem really great. Looking at the holes objectively, it's fantastic. The par 3s have great variety in length, as do the par 4s. Par 5s provide great options as well. What the course seems to lack is that thing that a person can't really define that gives the course a connection, as least for me. That said, the course is incredible.

Great day on the Links with new friends

What a great day and is this place a factory! The facility is very stream-lined to handle a massive amount of play. They also require a fore caddy to give you yardages and to keep up with the bunker maintenance on each hole.This does help maintain pace. The course was immaculate in it's overall condition. The greens looked somewhat discolored but rolled extremely fast and true. The ONLY criticism is that I went back to cart area after the cart staff had mentioned a 4 caddy was to be part of our group and asked the staff what is the tip amount for the 4caddy should be for him. I had not been told that it was required while in the Pro Shop. They said $25.00 + tip. I had no problem with fee structure. While we played we were told by someone in our group that IF you pay the $25.00 in the Pro Shop, the 4 caddy only gets $7.00 of the $25 + tip you would give him! We all decided to give him the full $25 each on 18 green and the Pro Shop can kiss our #*&*! That is awful for this kid to do a wonderful job and then get stiffed by the facility! Anyone know if this is true? We did not want to go to Shop and inquire and draw unnecessary attention to the young man who was wonderful.

Still a wonderful day and well run facility!

GOLF EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME

First of all, the weather sucked today. It was probably 1 degree celcius (30 ish Fahrenheit) with the wind chill. But the course is absolutely incredible. Every hole is well designed. Not to mention the practice facilities. A great range, and putting/short game greens and areas. I can't write this review without mentioning the club house. An awesome pro shop, accompanied by a museum. We had an amazing tour guide with a man named Toby who was very informative. I won't lie it is expensive, but every serious golfer needs to play this course.

Great course! Challenging but playable and fun.

The beauty of this course is how well-balanced it is. I was afraid it would be like other Florida courses-flat with lots of water that you can't miss. It was nothing like that. Lots of movement and the right amount of elevations and undulations. The fairways move left and right and the greens are outstanding. Some of the holes have a Carolina low-country feel, and others a manicured clean look. It is a fair challenge and you can play safely away from the water. Lots of bunkers running parallel the length of the fairways. Very walkable. I will say that having played Pebble Beach, that Sawgrass is not really worth the same price. But the overall experience was great.

What an experience

From the moment you see the TPC sawgrass entrance, you are excited! The clubhouse is jaw dropping in size. The range/practice area is great. They give you about 20 balls for the $550 green fee. We had a caddie named Dan. Good caddie, not great.

Being a 6 handicap I went in thinking I had a legit shot to break 80. I played the 6600 tees.

The 1st hole seems like one of the most forgiving holes On the course. I managed to make par and it went downhill from there. Each tee shot makes you think where to not hit your next shot. This course is NOT your home course and will kick your butt. I ended up with a disappointing 91 but loved every minute of the challenge. If you get the chance to play, be ready! Be ready to hit those 200 yard bunker shots! Be ready to make bogeys.

Staff

Play where the pro's play!

What more can you expect from a course on the PGA Tour schedule..even better, the home of THE PLAYERS! As a 6 handicap, the course looked visually intimidating off of the tee boxes with narrow fairways and bunkers strategically located in the fairways and around the greens. You can find yourself in some strange spots requiring a miracle to get up & down.

I made par on 16, 17 and 18 which exceeded my goal for the day, which was to make par on 17.

The off course amenities are amazing, like the free engraving of the bag tag, water and of course the clubhouse. Food was great and staff were extremely friendly.

I can't wait to go back and play this course again.

Staff

What an unbelievable day!

From the moment you turn to head on the road to the clubhouse, you know that you are somewhere special. The road in was absolutely stunning with tightly mown grass and a look at the majestic clubhouse. Once we dropped off our bags, it only continued to get better as we went down to the excellent practice facility. Any shot that you wanted to practice could be done there. Countless flags and looks awaited as you hit each ball. The starter was very helpful and gave us tips prior to our round. This is a cart path only facility, I would suggest hitting it close to the path if you don't care to walk a lot.

The course was in fantastic shape! The greens were rolling out nicely. I, unfortunately, dunked it in the water at 17. Now I have to come back for redemption! This course certainly lives up to the hype. Glad I was able to check this off the bucket list!

Mixed Bag

Top of the Line: The course is simply beautiful. Course conditions superb. A forecaddie appears to be automatically provided - and that is a good thing though it was unexpected. Ours (Chris) was cordial, witty, knowledgeable and very helpful. Only downer was the couple of dozen or more unrepaired ball marks on every green. They did not affect play on the excellent greens but were unsightly. I can't imagine that being a normal condition.

Not so Good: Despite the bragging in the welcoming email concerning warm-up and practice facilities, the provision of two bags totaling about 20 balls for the three ig seems a tad stingy considering the almost $900 in green fees. The turf on the practice tee was poor to non-existent (the course had hosted a junior tournament in the morning and that presumably created torn-up turf as an exception to the rule for this fine golf course. The course is a cart path only facility and not particularly well designed for that practice. It contributes significantly to the abysmal pace of play. Take a caddie and walk if you can.

Bad: Course was clearly overbooked with a delayed start and an pathetic pace of play - 5 hours, 45 minutes. We waited on every tee except those following par threes and on virtually every shot into the greens. So did the group in front of us.

Awful: I have had the good fortune in the 65 years I have played this wonderful game of experiencing everything from the sand greens and buffalo grass fairways of the rural Dakotas to the pristine conditions of the Augusta National and European links. My son and grandson-in-law have not yet been so blessed. I brought them to Sawgrass as a once in a lifetime experience. Given our 1330 tee time, we each fully expected to spent several hundred dollars following our round on clothing and other memorabilia for ourselves, friends and relatives who will never get the opportunity to see Sawgrass. Much to our dismay and my disgust, we found the proshop closed when we completed our almost six hour round. Given the half dozen or more groups still on the course I cannot comprehend the business mindset of a destination golf course which would allow this to happen (and given the readily acknowledged slow pace of play, it must happen on almost a daily basis). To compound the disappointment in being unable to make the anticipated purchases there was the need to get cash to tip the unexpected but appreciated forecaddie and the only ATM was inside the proshop. When confronted with the prospect of their forecaddie being stiffed the proshop staff agreed to allow the tip to be paid a credit card transfer but would not allow the purchase of goods.

It is a shame that the last memory of a special occasion colors all that came before. Despite the delightful golf experience, discussing TPC Sawgrass will always be a Jekyll and Hyde experience. I had hoped to show my son and grandson-in-law a class act. It did not happen.

Players Stadium Course continues to get better

This is actually the fifth time I've played the Stadium Course and I like more each time I play it. Some of that might have to do with the changes that have been made over the years. Much of it is due to learning the nuances of this course and how best to play it. This is classic Dye in every sense. Know where to hit it and most importantly, where to miss and when to take your medicine, and you can post a good score out here. As for the most recent round of changes – the lake between 6 and 7 and the drivable par-4 12th – I'm on board. I understand after player feedback the 12th will be tweaked before next year's PLAYERS, which will make it a better risk-reward hole. As for the experience, summertime is actually a great time to play it because green fees are less, around $250, and the course is in great shape.

Fantastic day out.

I had a fab day day.I arrived alone and was paired with two American couples the two guys played and the wives drove the carts they were wonderful people and treated me with great respect,one of the ladies was born and bred 20 miles from where I live in Scotland so she understood my accent and we had a of fun talking and laughing at life in general .The whole experience was brilliant so I am heading over to America again this year and heading to TPC Sawgrass for another fab day.The staff on and off the course were very professional in every aspect of their jobs.Top notch.Loved it.

TPC Sawgrass....Bucket List for all!

A small hiccup with the starter but the caddies fixed it with little problem. I should have walked if only to hear the caddies chat...they were exceptionally knowledgeable and very humorous. The clubhouse is phenomenal and the "Munchkins" were very gracious host. Staff is awesome and just plain nice. Worth every penny I paid for the stadium experience.The course and a par on 17 were simply awesome!

Great course. A must play!

A challenging course with nice amenities to enjoy before and after the round. Not worth $500 but close.

Bucket List Course that Lives up to the Hype

Perfect day at TPC Sawgrass. The course was immaculate. Having played it 100+ times on video games it was even better in person. The new renovations are fantastic. #12 is now a great hole. Almost every hole is memorable. I couldn't imagine a better golf experience. I obviously had my playing partner record my tee shot on 17. Haven't felt more pressure over a shot in my life. The course is much more than just the island green, but that was still a uniquely special hole. I can't recommend this course enough. My playing partner said it is on the same level as Pebble Beach. Go here!

Amazing experience!!!

Wow is the best word to describe my experience at TPC Sawgrass! My husband and I went to play a round of golf in December for the first time and have been back multiple times since. When we drove up it was absolutely gorgeous, I had heard they did construction so I am not too sure what it looked like before. One thing they offer that I found exceptional was valet service! The parking lot is a bit of a walk and I think it really makes TPC stand apart from other golf courses we have played! Valet guy was so nice and gave us a lot of information since it was our first time there. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming! The course is definitely difficult, but so worth it. We will be back.

Stadium Course closed until November 2016

The Stadium course is getting new greens, Practice Area, Parking Lot, new Main Drive up to the Clubhouse and some other changes.

It sure will be a diferent look.

Request A Vacation Quote From TPC
Please provide your information below and a staff member at TPC will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.

Valid dates: Nov 08, 2018 - Dec 20, 2018