Slammer and Squire Golf Course at World Golf Village

World Golf Village is home to 36 challenging holes of championship golf. The Slammer & Squire Course is named after the two World Golf Hall of Fame legends, Sam Snead and Gene Sarazen, who served as consultants to the course's designer, Bobby Weed. The golf course is known for its tricky par-3 holes and the carefully preserved beauty of the landscape. Its traditional layout meanders through native flatwoods and hardwood hammocks, running alongside wetland preserves and a wildlife habitat. The scenic Slammer & Squire Course features contoured greens and gently rolling, generous fairways. There is also an abundance of water on the golf course in the forms of lakes and marshes.
Stone 72 6939 yards 72.7 127
Green (W) 72 4996 yards 68.0 115
Scorecard for Slammer & Squire
Stone M: 72.7/127 385 186 394 522 426 445 178 541 401 3478 379 517 442 205 311 147 576 459 425 3461 6939
Black M: 71.3/125 377 170 380 501 394 423 161 527 383 3316 365 510 421 192 300 135 561 448 412 3344 6660
Blue M: 69.2/121 358 154 361 486 367 381 143 475 361 3086 343 472 373 161 284 128 527 387 371 3046 6132
Blended M: 68.3/119 336 154 361 486 351 360 143 475 341 3007 343 448 361 161 284 128 481 372 359 2937 5944
White M: 66.7/113 W: 72.4/126 336 121 306 467 351 360 128 442 341 2852 295 448 361 148 273 122 481 372 359 2859 5711
Green W: 68.0/115 271 94 280 417 315 321 107 424 259 2488 265 402 317 123 245 94 448 326 288 2508 4996

Year Built 1998
Golf Season Year round. Peak Season: Mid-February - May
Architect Bobby Weed (1998) Sam Snead (1998) Gene Sarazen (1998) MacCurrach Golf

Caddies Yes
Golf Simulator Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S. (2017 #15)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 38
Entertaining Clients 36

Disappointed

We called the day before to make sure they had breakfast and coffee available. We timed our arrival to allow for breakfast, time on the range and some leisurely putting and chatting. When we arrived the dining room was locked. We asked in the pro shop and were told someone would be right there. 15 mins later, we’re still waiting in the hopes that at a minimum, we can get some coffee. Long story short, 40 mins later, we have our coffee and a breakfast sandwich to eat on the way to hit a few putts before we tee off. We asked about sliding our tee time to give us more time, but that wasn’t an option. Once on the course, we found that the fairways and greens had recently been aerarated, making putting the crowned greens next to impossible, with the ball bouncing left and right with each putt. Chips would sometimes hit and plug rather roll out... or bounce left or right depending on how they hit one of the aeration holes. We found this all ironic, as the starter made a point of telling us that the personality of the course is all about how well you play the challenging greens. I’m sure 8n a couple of weeks they’ll be perfect, but we felt like they should have told us when we made the tee time. Our vacations are few and far in between and to lose one day to a frustrating experience like this, when it could have been avoided was disappointing.

Fun course

First time playing this one and it was very fun. I’ve played the sister course king and bear twice and decided to try and get out on this one. It’s shorter and easier than K&B, but still really fun to play. Overall conditions were great, but the greens had recently been aerated and that wasn’t mentioned. We got stuck behind a group of beginners who had zero golf etiquette, but a ranger caught up to them and allowed us to play through. The course is a little pricey for my liking, but still a nice test of golf. I’ll definitely be back to play.

Won’t play again

Course conditions were good. Pace of play was slow. Too slow... starter was not accommodating and we had a very frustrating experience with the staff. Expected better service and playing conditions at $150/ round. Won’t play again.

Members guest day

The course was in excellent condition. We booked a tee time through a third party. The problem was the course allowed third parties to book golf trip tee times on this course during a members guest day. The grille/bar was closed to non members the entire day. So there was nowhere to eat/drink at the golf course. We had to ask for special accommodations to order from the beverage cart. She was amazing by the way. It wasn’t her fault she was the only option that we had out there. The course SHOULD NOT ALLOW vacationing groups to reserve tee times when the course is tied up with a day long members guest event. Total inconvenience.

Nice Course

I give it 4 stars instead of 5 as my expectations for a $129 greens fee are pretty high. The course is very pretty and I am glad we played but it fell short of a 5-star experience. The layout was pretty but not diverse and the grooming was nice but not pristine; i.e. the greens were just a bit slow and the fairways were in good shape but we would have thought they would be more plush. If this course was located in a more natural setting, I probably would have liked it better but hearing the nearby highway and seeing some housing around the course does detract from the natural beauty of the course. The staff were very friendly and professional - notably the starter and the guys who transported us from the parking lot to and from the course. The pace of play was very good.

Created by Legends

If you’re into golf, one venue on your bucket list should be the World Golf Village in St. Augustine, FL. There’s plenty to do there, for example, you could spend all day at the World Golf Hall of Fame, taking in all the exhibits, viewing movies in the IMAX theater and testing your stroke on the Challenge Hole – reminiscent of Number 17 at Sawgrass. Or, if you’re looking to play a round of golf designed by a couple of legends, you can book a round on the Slammer and Squire Golf Course, one of two courses connected with the World Golf Village.

The Slammer & Squire Golf Course is the property’s original course and is located just a wedge shot away from the World Golf Hall of Fame. It was designed by noted golf course architect Bobby Weed with considerable input from the course’s namesakes: Sam "The Slammer" Snead and Gene "The Squire" Sarazen.

Five sets of tees plus a blended set – a combination of the Blues and Whites – makes The Slammer & Squire enjoyable for any golfer – provided you play from the set that best suits your game. From the back (Stone) tees, the course plays 6,939 yards with a course rating of 72.7 and a slope of 127. The Blue tees at 6,132 yards (69.2/121) will challenge most golfers and still enable them to leave with a little dignity. Ladies will find the Green Tees at 4,996 (68.0/115) an enjoyable test.

The Slammer & Squire opened to the public in May 1998 and features two distinct nines. The outward nine traverses through fairways lined with giant Loblolly pines, while wooden pathways and bridges guide you through traditional Florida wetlands. On the back nine you will find generous fairways, contoured greens, and plenty of water hazards. You’ll also be treated to impressive views of the World Golf Hall of Fame.

Just behind the pro shop is a full length driving range with plenty of targets, a large practice putting green as well as a short game area that includes a sand trap. The Clubhouse has a fully stocked pro shop with lots of logoed gear from a number of top apparel companies as well as Men’s and Women’s locker rooms complete with showers. Inside the clubhouse you’ll also find the Legends Grille where both breakfast and lunch are served. The food is reasonably priced and very delicious. I highly recommend the Philly Cheesesteak Sliders or the Caribbean Fish Tacos after a round of golf. The bar has all of your favorite libations as well as several domestic and craft beers on tap.

Memorable Holes (All Yardage is From the Blue Tees)

Most Memorable Hole: Number 18, Par 4, 371 yards. The distant bunker is a good line for your tee shot. With water running down the entire left side, there is ample room right of the green to bailout. The subtle undulations of the green will make your last putts quite memorable and the view of the Hall of Fame across the water is quite spectacular and definitely camera worthy.

Favorite Par 3: Number 7, 143 yards. This hole is truly a shotmaker’s delight. Fashioned after The Redan, the famous 15th at North Berwick, the flag can be attacked either by carrying the bunkers straightaway, or better yet, by fading a tee shot. This allows the ball to feed down to the hole. Miss the green and you’re most likely staring a big number right in the face. No wonder The Redan is the most copied par 3 in all of golf.

Favorite Par 4: Number 1, 358 yards. The wind will dictate how difficult this hole plays. Keep your tee shot left of the right-side fairway bunkers on this dogleg right. Make it to the dogleg off the tee and you’ll have a short approach to the slightly crowned green. Par – or better – is a good way to jump start your round.

Favorite Par 5: Number 16, 527yards. The last three holes are a daunting task and feature the longest par 5 and the longest par 4 on the course. Shot placement off tee is essential on #16. If you’re feeling good about your game thus far, you may want to take an aggressive line over the fairway bunkers in an attempt to get home in two. Should you choose to layup, you must avoid the left hazard as well as the trees on the right side. The green’s false front slopes heavily back towards the fairway.

Last Word: The Slammer and the Squire provides a challenge regardless of which tees you play from or how good you are. Low handicappers will be challenged by a number of risk/reward opportunities; playing these holes smartly will yield a low score. High handicappers will be glad to know that the greens are pretty straight forward with not a lot of hidden breaks and subtle undulations. They are quick, running about 11 or 12 on the stimpmeter. There’s a full length driving range as well as a large practice putting green and short game area to hone your skills. Should you arrive hungry or get so during your round, the Legends Grille is a great place to grab breakfast or lunch. The food is very good as are the portions. You won’t leave hungry.

Slammer And Squire A Must!

What's not to like?

18 well groomed and challenging holes, well laid out, out and in!

The weather was just about perfect, which enhanced the experience altogether.

What I Expected

I can't remember off hand how much I paid, but it was reasonable for what we got. I found the course to be very "meh" but that's what I expected coming in, so I wasn't really disappointed. The course was maintained well and was wide enough to be enjoyed by typical resort players. Very enjoyable, just not a world-beater.

Great setting, cool layout, can be picturesque

It’s a pretty straightforward course. It was the first of 4 courses we played in St. Augustine (we played TPC Sawgrass Dye’s Valley, King and Bear, and St. John’s Golf and Country Club) and it was everyone’s fourth ranked course. However, it’s still a really good track. The people and service are top notch.

Greens were a little chewed up but overall it was in good shape.

The setting with the World Golf Hall of Fame is really cool. Especially Hole 9.

OMG Great Course

I play a couple of times a week during the Spring, Summer, and Fall in Michigan, but only a few times all winter. This course is a must play if you are in the area, however it is rather expensive for me. I can usually find some rather good courses in the area for around 30 to 40 dollars. If the price were a little more reasonable I would play it more than once a season.

Excellent value.

This is a nice course. The fairways are generous and the greens are true and moderately fast. Will play here again when back in this area/

Great fun.

The course has been one that I have wanted to play since taking lessons at the PGA golf school off of the 10th hole. It was worth the wait. I had a great time. I met up with 2 other Golf Now players and was put into their newly formed group. Both of the gentlemen (Mark and Pete) were fun to hang with and made the round that much more fun the more we got to know each other. The greens were as fast as any I have played. The fairways were excellent and felt good under my feet. The carts were great and ran well, were clean and came with towels to dry the seats when it did drizzle. A shuttle takes you to and from the course from the parking lot and it runs constantly. The club house was beautiful and a pleasure to be in. I can not say enough about how well we were treated by the staff and even the cart girl was polite and always showed up at the right times.

Love this course

This is one of the best courses I have played in the Saint Augustine area. The only problem was it was cartpath only because they were seeding the fairways. I will definitely play here again.

Golf at the Slammer and Squire

I had a great time. Course was in great shape. It was cloudy and windy the day I played but was very enjoyable. Staff was great and very helpful. This is one of the best course I have played. If I have the chance will play again.

One of My New Favorites

I'll begin with the fact that the reason I played this course was a surprising Hot Deal ($30).

Got to the course and was told that it was cart path only because they had just done their fall overseeding on the fairways. As long as the greens were not aerated I was fine with that, although it was often A long walk :-).

Course was fairly deserted because of the overseeing, thus the price. Great condition. Consistent quick greens and layout.

I wish they would have more hot deals like this but will probably not happen. Too bad because a lot of people are missing out on a great course.

Request A Vacation Quote From Florida's First Coast of Golf
Please provide your information below and a staff member at Florida's First Coast of Golf will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.
St Augustine, Florida