The Natural Golf Course

Year Built 1992
Fairways Blue Grass
Architect Jerry Matthews (1992) Ray Hearn (1992)

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Michigan (2015 #18)

Group Getaways 8

A Natural Transformation

Perfect conditions, friendly folks and the new cart path has transformed this course back into a jewel near Gaylord, Michigan. My revisit was worth while. One of best set of closing three holes in Michigan.

Response from on 06/12/2017:
Thank you Dan! We're glad to have you back for another round and appreciate your outstanding review!

A Gem in the Woods

We enjoyed our round at this course. The first 9 holes were a little slower with a threesome ahead of us where one golfer for sure was a beginner. The course was in excelllent shape with paved cart paths and woods surrounding each hole. There were a couple of holes that were odd esp. hole 18. Some shots were blind and we surely would have played some holes differently with course knowledge. All in all a pleasure to play. We enjoyed ourselves and probably would not have found the course had it not been on golf now.

Response from on 06/02/2017:
We're glad you found us, lmaule! Thank you for coming out to play The Natural, and for reviewing us. We're happy to hear you all enjoyed your experience, and hope that you will be back again for another round soon!

Keeps Getting Better

I reviewed this course back when I played it in October 2016, but wanted to write again. Something about it keeps bringing me back. The fresh asphalt cartpaths constructed last year really make things SMOOTH. Also, the removal of many trees has really opened up some areas for sunlight to boost some growth (especially behind #2 Green and along-side #13 Fairway, always a tricky hole). The GREENS were putting very FAST and TRUE even with wet conditions as I endured all day. Bring your A-game to this A+ course.

Response from on 05/31/2017:
We appreciate your continuous support, MSTRN8! Thank you for coming back to play the course again this year, and for your great review!

although the weather was a little cool, the fact that there were not many golfers on made it very enjoyable. it was challenging because of the narrow fairways and trees but was a lot of fun. the greens were a litte slow but overall we had a great time. i would definitely play there again

Response from on 05/22/2017:
Thank you for coming out to play The Natural, Scott! We appreciate your review, and look forward to your next visit!
Response from on 05/17/2017:
Thank you for your rating!

The Name Says it All.

The Natural is exactly what you get...Natural beauty. Not too much earth moving to sculpt this gem in Northern Michigan. Gently rolling hills, with occasional dramatic change. Holes cut out of woods, with tight fairways and large greens. Not terribly long, but quite the challenge.

Played mid October for 40.00 on a monday, well worth it. Had the entire course to myself. A little disappointed with the Fall leaves cleanup, but nontheless had a great time. Brand New asphalt cartpaths adds a MAJOR facelift to once detereorating gravel paths. A shotmakers course. Bring your A-Game

Back to the Natural

We returned to The Natural for the first time since 2012. The course in under new ownership and management and we could see and feel the difference. The course conditions and putting greens were in great shape. The staff was friendly and helpful. We will play The Natural again before heading back to Texas. We also enjoyed watching other golfers play the 9th hole from the back deck after our round.

Very good golf

Course is very nice. Staff is very friendly. We had perfect weather. We were a twosome so we were moving fairly quick. Caught up to an elderly couple who said things were backed up. We joined them on the fourth hole but soon we were waiting on number 6. The reason was there was a fivesome two groups ahead of us. Who was holding up the pace of play (3 hole gap). Called the clubhouse and decided to jump ahead to 9. Blew through the course and went back and played 6, 7 & 8. Seemed to be a lot of casual players who are staying at Beaver Creek Resort on the course. Course just needs a ranger to break up fivesomes. Would play it again. Oh, the rough was very lush, hence The Natural. Playing the fairway is a premium. Would play it again.

Beautiful course to look at, however?

The Natural is a beautiful golf course, however, some of the holes are so difficult they are a little unfair. Some holes require a long carry to a heavy guarded green. And, depending on where you land next to the green, sorry I can't hit my 3 and 5 woods that accurately, you may have a chip shot that you can't get to the pin from there. It was tough but the course is in excellent condition and a great challenge. I'd play it again, but really, a par 4 for women that's 380 yards, dogleg left and the second shot is 80 yards carry over a marsh!! The staff was very friendly.

Nice Surprise

I had played here a few years ago and it wasn't in good shape at all. This was a totally different experience. Course was in great condition, well watered despite the dry weather and well manicured. The only area requiring improvement would be that the traps needed raking and care.

Plays Twice a year

Very enjoyable

Really was pleased at this course and its conditions. Greens were true and maintained well.

Great Track

Had a group of 8 and came across this hidden gem. Great track for the price. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable about their course. The course is pretty tight and short, but definitely some reachable and challenging eagle opportunities if you can stomach it. The greens were in pristine condition and rolled true. Some quirky par 3s playing at around 100 yards but fun shots that you can find yourself in trouble if you miss the turf.

Would recommend this course to anyone and hope I get up there again. The starter even let us return to hole 1 to duel it out in a playoff #classact

great tight course, challenging

We had an awesome round of fall golf. course was in great shape.

Challenging

Course was wet due to some showers, but was in great shape. Would recommend but not for the faint of heart.

Really enjoyed playing this course. Fairways are narrow making it.challenging. Should have used irons more often but still had a great time!

Very scenic and challenging course

Absolutely loved it . The course and the staff were outstanding. I will be back

Good course, great value

This is such a fantastic course for the money. Compared to what I'm used to around Chicago, I think this was a really great course. I'm glad I found an amazing deal on GolfNow. Staff are so nice and friendly. The holes are well designed, well maintained, but have a lot of trees. When we went out, there weren't a lot of people, so we finished 18 in about 4 hours, after taking 15-20 minutes on the turn to snack and drink. Next time I fly to Traverse City, I'm driving up here and playing another 18 for sure.

staff is outstanding. Check them out for stay and play

Great value and a great experience!!

The Natural is a very well maintained, challenging golf course in beautiful northern Michigan. We played all 18 holes, it was challenging and there is alot of variation. Its quiet and the facilities are pristine. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. I will go back.

Beautiful course.

Challenging course. We had a fun day. You must keep it in the fairway hard course to scramble for par. A few greens were sanded. I'm guessing they were being repaired. But all the other greens and fairways were in excellent shape. I was not sure why some of the sand traps were rocky considering sand is so abundant. That is a cheap quick fix. Great golf value!!!

Valid dates: Jan 21, 2020 - Jan 31, 2022
Stay at Solitude Inn on the Green and play one of the best course in SE Michigan, Solitude Links Golf Course. Learn more.