Palmetto Hall Plantation Club - Arthur Hills Course

Year Built 1991
Architect Arthur Hills (1991) Spencer Holt (1991)

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in South Carolina (2015 #12)

Playing Multiple Courses 7

Great Conditions

After a full day of rain right up to the hour before tee time,, we called ahead to verify that it would most likely be cart path only. We feared walking on extremely wet conditions with constant lift, clean and place, wet shoes, etc. What we found were well drained and firm fairways, excellent greens and about 1 1/2 holes that had any standing water and it was minimal.

Yearly visitor

Visiting HHI and played the Hills course twice. Very lucky played both rounds in under 3 hours. From tee to green the course was in excellent shape first go round it was cart path only due to heavy rainfall the day before greens were slow but week later the greens had been mowed and speed picked up substantially. The price was right as I booked thru golf now. I’m a 14 handicap and really enjoyed the layout. Can’t believe it doesn’t get more play. But that’s ok with me

Good course, but they just don't care...

Arrived an hour early for an Thursday 3:00 pm tee time in August. Not much traffic, as most avoid this heat. The older female pro shop attendant didn't ask our names, tee time, greet us, or anything. She was just an unpleasant person. Tried to pair my 2 some up with another 2 some, but we declined (literally maybe 4 other golfers on the course and no one came behind us).

Nice course, nice layout, nice value. But no drinking water on the course - all the coolers were empty. We played in 3:20, and the older female cart attendant couldn't wait for us to pack up and leave.

Great course, fast play!

First off I was the first tee time off at 712am and got my round in under 3 hours. Overall the course itself was in great and amazing shape. A few bad spots on some greens near the front edge, but didn’t change my play. The fairways, tee boxes, rough, was all in great shape including the bunkers. The cart paths needed some work. Also with this being my first time on the course, a better map, or tee box picture would help identify hazards and bunkers up the way and around the green. Overall I thought the course was in great shape. The greens are not an issue.

Georgia Advisor

Good Course - Could be More

Low Country course with water, sand, and rough. GN tee sheet showed wide open when I scheduled, which is great since I wanted to get around quickly. Au contraire. #1 backed up early. Paired with twosome for front, then matched up with threesome due to the pace. Early start shouldn't be 4.5 hours. Greens were very sandy. Was told later that's why the round was discounted. I specifically avoided Port Royal Barony at same cost because their times were marked with Aeration warning. Another review says punched in May - not yet recovered?

Bunkers are mud flats - avoid. Course not well marked: small plaques on some sprinkler heads. Cart paths torn up in several places. Tees and fairways all very good. Stout closing hole. Water and a drink cart.

PHP Hills needs a bit of work. Perhaps its members' Cupp course is getting it? With all that, still an enjoyable round.

What Greens?

While on vacation I tried this course. What a complete disappointment. I was paired with a threesome, who were very friendly. However, none of us were prepared for what the greens would be like! In 20 years of playing golf, I’ve never seen this much sand on the greens in my life!! You could hardly see the color green on the grass underneath the sand!
The sand looked more like “rock salt” than sand! Putting was useless!!
I’m including a photo of what I wiped off my ball and what my ball on the green looked like.
When I talked to the pro shop, I was told that I received a discount. For me the course in this condition wasn’t worth $25 yet alone almost $60 that I paid!!
I booked throughout Golfnow on the phone. So I don’t know if there was an alert that they had just aerated the day before. Who aerates in July??
My advice: take your money elsewhere?

Close but no cigar

The good. Fairways were very good. Course was challenging. The average...Greens were punched in late May and were still bumpy. Green side bunkers were not raked and packed down. The bad....No water on the course and the Cart person didn't show up until we were on the 18th tee. Really hot and humid. Heard some excuse about a non functioning ice machine.

J, from HHP

Course was in great shape,Cary paths were horrible. Found out the repairs are weeks away. Can’t beat the course for the money

Boston Advisor

One of the better courses on the island

I can’t say enough good things about this facility. The pro shop was well stocked, the range was in good shape and the service was excellent. On to the course, the layout was one of the best Hills courses I have played. It is a true resort course, set up to get people around quickly with generous landing areas and large greens. It also had some shots that will test your game, especially some of the approach shots. I really enjoyed this course a lot and would play it again.

Great round - played late in day no wait times on tees or greens

Outstanding, on vacation for two weeks played Cupp once and Hill twice, we made reservations for a condo in 2020 and will be making tee times at these courses.

Beautiful layout. Nice variety of holes.

Very nice layout. Enjoyed the variety of holes and was not too tight. Local knowledge important to scoring well as there are places that you don't want to be. Greens in excellent shape.

One of the best values in Hilton Head

I played the Arthur course with a couple friends. From tee to green, the course was in great shape and offered a fun, but fair challenge. The green fees also include range balls. The greens were rolling very pure and the scenery is a beautiful mixture of southern charm and classic Hilton Head low country. I feel like every staff interaction was enjoyable and friendly. I have played a handful of other Hilton head courses and I feel some were overpriced, but I feel Palmetto Hall has been the best overall value. I will definitely go back again.

Difficult but Fun Course

I would say this is the most challenging of the three courses at Palmetto Dunes. Water throughout the course with some tight fairways. It forces you to make golf shots, especially off of the tee. You're not pulling out driver every hole due to some dog legs or lay ups. Great character to the course with some scenic views. Course was in great shape. Will definitely play again.

Ok course to play

Fairways ok as well as greens, but the $80 price was about $25 too high

enjoyable

Just needs TLC. Bumby paths that are cracked all over the place, slow greens, no beverage carts.

4.2281941176