A sunny day view of a hole at Bull Run Country Club.

Situated in the foothills of Bull Run Mountain, Bull Run Golf Club has a beautiful woodland setting that is conveniently located just minutes from many historic Civil War sites. The course plays through mature forests and across lush, grassy meadows. There are also several ponds that come into play throughout. The expansive layout covers over 450 acres, allowing plenty of room for the native flora and fauna. The risk-reward layout has plenty of challenges for more daring hitters but it also offers wide fairways that are molded to steer the ball towards the center. The landing areas are generous but they are often framed by grassy hollows, bunkers, or mature trees. Bull Run is challenging, but playable, which is why the club is considered one of the best golf courses in the D.C. area.

Bull Run Golf Club

Year Built 1998
Architect Rick Jacobson (1998)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Raspberry Golf Academy"

Metal Spikes Allowed Soft spikes only

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Virginia (2015 #10)

Good Layout and Conditions, Disappointing Staff

The course was in great condition for the first week of April, and the layout is fun and challenging. I was extremely disappointed, however, that I was told that I needed to double up in a cart with another single. The course said that this is necessary otherwise they'd run out of carts, but my feeling is that if you're going to continue to operate during a pandemic as an essential business, you have a responsibility to take the necessary precautions. Either don't pack the course to the point where you don't have enough carts for every person, or warn golfers in advance that they may be forced to walk. I enjoyed the course and walking the long, hilly layout was a great workout, but I won't be back for the foreseeable future.

Commented on 04/08/2020

Thank You, u000001252480 for your comments regarding your recent experience at Bull Run. We are happy that you enjoyed the layout and conditions.

We regret that you were not given an option to take your own cart for the round, our intent is to offer singles a cart by themselves as we are able as we try to make allowances for social distancing guidelines. We do have a limited number of carts available for players and hope to offer individual carts at the first tee.. As golf is a great way to enjoy the outdoors in these unusual times we do get very busy. We have brought in additional carts for use and do encourage walking and often offer discounts for walkers.

Additionally, we do send out an email each evening before play detailing what to expect upon arrival at Bull Run, unfortunately it sounds as if you did not receive the message.

Regardless of the above we had a misstep with your visit. We look forward to seeing you again when you are comfortable and hopefully as the current crisis subsides.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Good conditions, especially for early April

Course was in good shape. Greens rolled nicely, rough grown in. Only complaint is the greens are a bit rough due to folks not fixing ball marks. Not unmanageable but be ready to fix a ball mark or two with each put.

Commented on 04/08/2020

Thank you Tom8664392 for the five star review!

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time at Bull Run!

Bull Run Review

Overall I really liked this course. It is kept in very nice shape especially during this COVID-19 time. Very few marks on the greens, beautiful layout, and decently challenging. I will definitely be coming back here in the summer (hopefully) to try and improve my score! One of my new favorite courses in Northern Virginia.

Commented on 04/08/2020

Thanks mattguyton1994 for the kind words and five start review!
We are happy that you enjoyed the course!

Bull run is in perfect shape

Best conditions I've ever seen BR. Lots of people were out enjoying the weather and social distancing. Pace of play was a little longer than I would have liked, but to be expected given the extra precautions people were taking to distance combined with the number of people on the course. Course is usually in great shape, but it was pretty immaculate this time around. Excited to come.back in the future.

Commented on 04/08/2020

That is high praise u000006535356!

We hope to see you again soon!

Awesome Layout, Great Course

First time playing here. Course in great shape. Fun layout, lots of risk reward holes.

Commented on 04/08/2020

Thanks weavt134! We appreciate the kind words and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Fun Day

Nice day for social distance. Greens had some pace and were getting firmer.

Commented on 04/08/2020

Thank you u655320509 for the five start review!

Bull run golf

I love this course! 18 is a great challenging finishing hole!

Commented on 04/08/2020

Thanks u6154688 for the five star review! We love hole 18 as well!

Hope to see you soon!

Commented on 04/08/2020

Thanks ubercheap for the five start review!

Good Winter Golf

First time golfer to this course.
Met my friend there from Frederick, MD and it was a good half way point for us.
Good winter golf. Not everything was available. Could not wash golf balls on any t on the first nine holes.
Bunkers were ok, no water in them.
Overall it was very enjoyable considering I had not played since last year.

Wet but still good

The course was wet from overnight monsoon-level rain but was still very playable. A rare 70 degree day in January brought out a lot of golfers but pace of play was still good (4.5 hours). You were never going to find a fully dry spot in the fairway but you could still hit normal shots. The greens were in good condition for this time of year. As usual, I was fixing multiple ball marks on every green but that's on the players, not the course. We played the bunkers as GUR so not sure how it was to hit out of them. Bull Run remains one of my favorites in the area.

Great course, even in January

I was fortunate to have a mid 50s-60s day in January to play this course. Naturally, the ground was mushy from the winter and the grass wasn't in peak conditions. However, the grounds were still well-kept all things considered. The staff is friendly and the amenities are very nice. The layout is challenging but not impossible--a good mix of scoring holes and challenging ones. I have played a few times before and will certainly be back in the future.

Anonymous

Horrible experience

I had a tee time reserved, I was supposedly being paired with a threesome since I was a single. That tiresome brought 4 players and they bumped my tee time , I waited from 11 to 12:30, I got tired of waiting, I though that this course is organized and had standard of golf etiquette, they do not.

Organization and coordination in this course is awful and just wrong.

Maybe you’ll play, maybe they’ll bump your tee time.

Commented on 12/31/2019

Thanks for your feedback, I was dismayed to hear that we caused a negative experience when you chose Bull Run on a beautiful day. In an effort to be flexible and accommodate an additional player with one group we inadvertently caused you to be bumped. Between the professional staff and the starter we should have made the needed arrangements to ensure you had a group to play with in a reasonable amount of time.

At Bull Run we strive for a five star experience but failed to deliver in this instance. I will review expectations with the staff in an effort to avoid a similar experience for others in the future. We hope that you will give us a chance to offer a better experience at a later date.

I apologize for the poor experience.

Michael Tate
General Manager

Top of the list.

Always a pleasure to play a course of this calibre. In my opinion Raspberry Trail courses are the finest in the area.

Top course in Northern VA

I typically play this course 3-4 times a year.. I played a cold and windy December morning. The condition was surprisingly good compared to other similarly priced course in the area. There were some wet places. But most of tee boxes, fairways, bunkers were good shape. I will probably play this course a few more times this winter.

Driving range is closed

I love Bull Run but don't get out there often enough. Course can be tough in places, but it's very difficult when you can't even warm up before your round. The first time you actually hit a ball is on the first tee (forced carry over water) and you better be on or you will be off to a bad day.
Rest of the course is as expected for end of season, but it would have been nice to know that we were going to have a cold start.

4.4572058824
South Riding, Virginia
Aldie, Virginia
Chantilly, Virginia
Nokesville, Virginia
4.0208823529
Centreville, Virginia

Valid dates: May 10, 2020 - Jun 18, 2020
Every spring getaway should include the perfect mixture of lakeside recreation and 4-Star relaxation! The Tahoe Tap-in Stay & Play package offers a luxurious stay at Edgewood Tahoe Resort plus your choice of two rounds of golf with a cart at Lake Tahoe's only public lakefront golf course, two 50-minute treatments at the serene Spa Edgewood, or one of each for each night per reservation.