Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run

Jack Nicklaus designed the golf course at the Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run. The 18-hole, public course is touted as having one of the best layouts in the area. The par-72 course offers 7,014 yards of challenging and fun golf. Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run's design emphasizes strategy rather than power. Sand and water hazards add interest to the course. In addition to providing a great game of golf, the course also has picturesque scenery with the many oaks and pines that snake though the course. It has been named one of America's Top 100 Courses priced under $100.
Scorecard for Golden Bear
Black M: 74.5/138 404 551 416 199 373 444 409 183 508 3487 396 446 213 423 179 512 387 434 537 3527 7014
Blue M: 72.6/136 381 534 398 167 347 420 387 163 489 3286 366 430 190 404 163 491 375 418 520 3357 6643
Gold M: 70.5/128 349 507 358 148 327 383 365 146 479 3062 349 414 159 376 135 472 340 385 492 3122 6184
White M: 65.2/110 W: 75.6/127 303 441 316 114 299 371 306 116 415 2681 341 381 132 332 106 403 271 344 446 2756 5437
Green M: 63.1/108 W: 69.2/118 276 407 282 83 257 317 306 70 402 2400 293 352 132 294 106 403 271 307 416 2574 4974

Year Built 1993
Architect Jack Nicklaus (1993) Bruce Borland (1993)

GPS ParView GPS Full Color System on

Dress code Collared shirts are required. Shorts must be Bermuda-length. Tennis shoes are allowed.

Course was in excellent shape. Very nice layout. Was a challenging course and many of the holes were pretty tight with a lot of trees down both sides.

Average experience, good course conditions

Nothing here to blow me away or keep me from coming back. It was a good track under good conditions. The greens were very slow, but rolled true. The staff could have been a little more friendly, the restaurant was closed early, and there was not a beverage cart.

Nice Track

Very good layout. Conditions will improve shortly as the overseeing is just about ready. Greens a bit sandy but true with reasonable speed.

Commented On 11/06/2018

Great! We're glad that you enjoyed the challenge of our course and we appreciate your feedback regarding our conditions. We look forward to having you back again soon for your next round!

Commented On 11/06/2018

Outstanding! Come back soon!

Why We probably will not come back?

Absence of course marshals made for a very long round.On the 18th hole, it took nearly 50 minutes!!!!!!!!! 20 minutes waiting to tee off and then another 20 minutes waiting to hit our second shot. Unforgivable. The course was in good condition, except for the greens, which are too slow, and not easily puttable. WE had been looking forward to playing this course.

Commented On 11/09/2018

Thank you for your review! We're glad that our course conditions met your expectations but we apologize that the pace of play was slow. Our staff does their best to keep everyone moving at a good speed, but we appreciate your feedback. We'd love the chance to speak to you more about your time with us. Please reach out to us at goldenbeargolfclub@gmail.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you again and we look forward to speaking with you!

scolars

I always enjoy my round at Golden Bear. All the staff is friendly and the course is an enjoyable round of golf. They have re-done the whole course and it is in much better shape. Get a Golf Now rate for the best value.

Very Average

The layout is pretty nice but there was overseeding which meant cart path only and green maintainence made for less than great putting surface.

Commented On 11/01/2018

Thank you for your review! We're pleased that you enjoyed the challenge our course presented, but we apologize that our greens didn't meet your expectations. We appreciate your review and we hope to have you back again soon!

Course just ok. No reason to go back.

The course was in ok shape only. Some of the greens need work. We found out it was cart path only on the day of booking which would have changed our decision. They would not allow any cart on fairway despite the fact we had an older person playing with us who had trouble walking. This courtesy could and should have been extended to us. Not typical of any course I have ever played when someone has a physical disability. Went into the clubhouse after 9 holes to get a sandwich and refreshment. 2 staff were sitting at a table in the snack bar area. We stood at the counter and one called over that they weren’t open. Not sure why. No cart on course either for drinks etc. So overall experience was less than adequate. No way would I recommend the course or play there again.

Challenging Course

Course layout requires high level course management skills. Tree lined fairways and overhanging branches will challenge your driving skills. Greens vary in size and speed but rolled nicely. Bermuda grass ruff was difficult made it difficult to make solid contact with the ball. Overall, the course was well maintained and pleasing to the eye. Not a course for a novice or high handicap golfer.

Commented On 10/31/2018

Great! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We're also pleased that our course conditions met your expectations. We look forward to having you back again soon for your next round!

A wonderful day

We played this course for the first time and will most certainly come back. The course was forgiving and well kept. Carts were on path only due to recent work on the fairways, but it did not put a dent in the day. Of course the glorious weather didn’t hurt!!

Commented On 10/31/2018

Excellent! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your first time playing with us at Golden Bear. We're also glad that you enjoyed our course despite being cart path only. We can't wait to have you back again soon for your next round with us!

Sad

Terrible condition...1st the no grass...just bad shape

Commented On 10/25/2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our course. We value customer feedback highly when we evaluate how we are doing as a business. Let us first start by apologizing for the experience you had during your visit. We strive for a 5-star experience anytime a golfer visits our facility. We will escalate your feedback to the teams in charge to make sure we improve. Thank you for visiting Golden Bear Golf Club.

Texas Advisor

Early Bird Gets the Worm

We had the first tee time at 7:52 AM.

We were greeted by Bryan our cart attendant. He immediately took our clubs and set them up on our cart.

The pro shop was friendly and we had a smooth check-in.

We met the very friendly starter, Jim from Yardley, Pa.

The pace of play was less than three hours and that's my kind of golf game.

This course gets a lot of play and you can see it in the wear and tear on the greens. They were in decent condition and ran fast.

The tee boxes were not in good condition and I was told they will be reseeded next week. The fairways were uneven and soft. The rough has gotten very dense.

There is water in play on over half the holes here. Hole #15 has a diabolical hidden lake on the left side in front of the green that an unknowing golfer, even with a straight shot, will cause the ball to go in the drink. Hole #18 has a large lake in front of the green on the right side forcing most golfers to hit a fade from a left-side lie.

There are plenty of challenging par fives and a nasty short par 3 with the narrowest green.

Despite the 20 mph wind, this is a fun course to play.

Commented On 10/25/2018

Awesome! We're pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us and we hope to have you back again soon for your next round!

Return Visit

Have played here in each of our five visits to the island since 2013. Course is always in good shape although there was a couple of stressed greens this time but they still run smooth and true so not an issue.

Commented On 10/25/2018

Outstanding! We're thrilled that you play our course every time you visit the island. We're glad that our course conditions met your expectations and we appreciate your review. We can't wait to have you back again soon for your next round at Golden Bear!

Way too Slow

2.5 hours for 9 holes paying a $90 greens fee is unacceptable; No rangers to speed play; No beverage cart to mitigate the pain ; I would play the course again but the overall experience was not good; We quit after 9 holes;

Commented On 10/29/2018

Thank you for your review! We apologize that you didn't enjoy your time with us and that that pace of play was slow. Our staff does their best to keep everyone moving at a good speed and we appreciate your feedback. We would love the chance to learn more about your time with us. Please reach out to us at goldenbeargolfclub@gmail.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you again and we look forward to speaking with you!

50$ dollar course for 100$

Came out to play this course on a family vacation with my little brother. Played another local course the day before and we’re told to avoid golden bear, but we checked it out anyway. Arrived at the course about an hour early and was not greeted by any staff at bag drop. This is not normally an issue, as i usually handle my own clubs, but for $95 I’d expect someone to come out and greet us. The gentleman we dealt with in the pro shop was nice enough. Range was in good shape with plenty of targets. Got to the starter and was guided to the first tee and told we were on the box. We both hit decent first drives but have in our friendly wager we agreed on a breakfast ball. In the process of teeing up the starter drove from the practice green to inform us that they were too busy for that and we would only be allowed 1 ball. Keep in mind there was still a family of 4 (two couples) not even all the way to the green yet. We made our way through the front nine with 3 members standing around with hands on their hips and clearly unhappy to be waiting for us while we waiting, literally, on every tee box for the foursome ahead of us. Now by no means do I have an issue with the foursome in front of us. They were just enjoying a round of golf and played on a 4:15 pace. My issue is with the we are members why are you even here attitutude and the staffs perpetuation of that attitude. Made it to the 10th tee (while the foursome ahead was still teeing up) and made my way into the clubhouse to use the restroom. The starter who was still at the term had only one sentence for me: “hows your pace of play? As he checked his watch and tee sheet. Um....we are at the turn whole the group in front os us is still up on 10...it doesn’t really matter what our pace is as we were clearly playing as quickly as possible. For 100 bucks I’d think they’d maybe ask how the course was or just some other form of appreciation for coming out to play their course. When we were finished the rush continued as someone grabbed our bags proceeded to “wipe” them down (I had to clean them when I get home) and hovered for a moment for a tip.

The course itself is in good shape, but is by no stretch of the imagination a 100$ round of golf. 60$ at BEST. It does not offer any wonderful views of Hilton Head, several of the tee boxes were sparse with grass, and the greens were very bumpy. If this round had been 60$ and we’d not been treated like 3rd class citizens I’d be writing a much different review.

If you traveled here to play some good golf and don’t mind being unwelcomed and rushed through a 100$ round of golf on a 60$ course then go for it. I’d recommend however, saving your money and playing 1 of the inumerous other courses where they treat you like they couldn’t be happier they got your business.

FYI I’m a 5 handicap from Charleston who now resides in Greenville. I’ve played 1 star courses and I’ve played 5 star courses like the Ocean Ocean course and I enjoy them all. I love the game and I love exploring new courses. I just hate over priced courses that treat guests like dirt when they come out and spend their hard earned money that could have spent elsewhere. If you want to act like a private course, then be a provate course. I’ve got no problem with that either.

Commented On 10/29/2018

Thank you for your review! We apologize that you didn't enjoy your time with us and that our staff didn't leave a great impression on you. We strive to provide all of our guests with a great experience and we appreciate your feedback. We would love the chance to learn more about your time with us. Please reach out to us at goldenbeargolfclub@gmail.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you again and we look forward to speaking with you!

GoldenBear10/18

Played here many times. Course was in good shape. Greens were a little slow for HHI courses.

Played late afternoon and course was a little crowded. Pace of play was slower than our liking.

Commented On 10/25/2018

Great! We're glad that our course conditions met your expectations and that you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to having you back again soon for your next round!

Response from Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run on 10/19/2018:
Great! Glad you enjoyed your time with us!

good time

enjoyable best desribes the 18 holes. it was well maintained, challenging course.

Response from Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run on 10/19/2018:
Wonderful! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We appreciate your review and look forward to having you back again soon!
4.2044882353