A view of a green protected by bunkers at Golden Bear Golf Club - Indigo Run

Style Woodland

Jack Nicklaus designed the golf course at the Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run. The 18-hole, public course is touted as having one of the best layouts in the area. The par-72 course offers 7,014 yards of challenging and fun golf. Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run's design emphasizes strategy rather than power. Sand and water hazards add interest to the course. In addition to providing a great game of golf, the course also has picturesque scenery with the many oaks and pines that snake though the course. It has been named one of America's Top 100 Courses priced under $100.

Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run

Year Built 1993
Architect Jack Nicklaus (1993) Bruce Borland (1993)

GPS ParView GPS Full Color System on

Dress code Collared shirts are required. Shorts must be Bermuda-length. Tennis shoes are allowed.

Commented on 05/28/2020

Fantastic! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

It was raining all morning, but overcast when we teed off at noon. That says something about the course itself that there was no standing water anywhere. The fairways and greens rolled beautifully. It also says something about the people who play here that the fairway divots were all sanded and the greens had no sign of anyone but you on them. Obviously true affectionados of the game play here. The staff was helpful and courteous. We had a great time playing this course. I only wish it was closer to home (an hour’s drive for us).

Commented on 05/29/2020

Michael

Decent course, hard greens that need aerification, grill closed, nice cart girl, played there before and would play it again after the virus concern ends.

Commented on 05/28/2020

Awesome! We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run.

Commented on 05/27/2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Great course!

Course was in great condition. The greens were true and very green. Only thing wrong with this course was that we played the white tees. It is a very short course at the whites. This course is made for the black and blue tees. If you normally play whites, I suggest playing the gold tees. Overall, great condition and great experience!

Commented on 05/27/2020

Wonderful! Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run.

Great Course Horrible Staff & Horrible Directions

This was my first time to ever visit Hilton Head Island so I knew nothing about the place.
I will cut to the chase.... Course was awesome staff was a bunch of jerks!!!
*This course's website lists an address and Golf Now lists a different address
*The GPS for both addresses takes you to a "Private home owner/members only" gate that you can't enter!
*Yes, the manager on duty (Jeff) spit out a couple of directions while I was on the beach with no way to record his directions so I wrongly assumed that the correct entrance couldn't be that far away from the "private" entrance.
*Well I was incorrect (first time tourist on the island again) and Jeff ripped me on the phone for not remembering his rapid set of directions over the phone.
*And to get from the "private" gate where you can actually see the clubhouse to the gate you can enter took another 30 MINUTES!!
*After running full speed from the parking lot like the speed golf reality show on the Golf Channel I got in my cart and to the starter at 12:24 pm with a tee time of 12:24 pm
*The starter says man I'm sorry but the other three people were here early so I just sent them on out to start the round.
* I said is that them on the 1st Tee going now and the answer was yes but you can't go join them as they are already on the Tee.
*I did get my round in filling in an open spot a couple of groups later but by then the mindset was toast and the round sucked!!

It is inexcusable that both the course website and Golf Now do not have anything indicating that you have to go to a different address that is not even listed just to get to the place to play golf!!
Good luck to any other first timers to Hilton Head Island looking to play golf a this place!!

Commented on 05/28/2020

Thank you for your review! We apologize that you didn't enjoy your round with us. We strive to provide a great experience for all our guests, so we will use your review to help us improve moving forward. Thank you again and we hope you'll give us another try in the future!

Challenging track...great shape

We were extremely pleased with the condition of the course. The greens were smooth and quick. Fairways green and tees flat. I played the blue tees and found the course very challenging. Staff was nice and we played in less than 4 hours which was great. Highly recommend.

Commented on 05/27/2020

Terrific! Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run.

Does not disappoint

First time out here, I have played Bear's Best out in Vegas so I wanted to get out and play Nicklaus' course in HHI. This course was beautiful from tee box to green. Greens rolled true and beautifully. I can't believe this place is only $65.00 on a Friday. Back in Charlotte, NC something like this would be upwards of $100 if not more for these kind of conditions. Will be back on my next trip.

Commented on 05/27/2020

Outstanding! Thank you for your kind words. We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run.

Slowest round I’ve ever played

Took over 3 hours to play 9 holes! Terrible spacing of time and very large groups with terrible players. No one had any golf etiquette. I was struck with a ball with no notice of an errant shot. Behind two groups of 4 and asked to pass but they wouldn’t let us. Very bad 1st experience here. Otherwise course is in great condition.

Commented on 05/27/2020

Thank you for your review! We're glad that you enjoyed our course conditions, but we apologize that you didn't enjoy your round with us. We strive to provide all of our guests with a great experience. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will give us another try in the future.

Happy with my pick

Played here in 5/21. Greens were in great shape, rolled at a decent pace and true. Traps were well maintained and fairways were full. I’ll play here again this weekend.

Loved it

Great track in wonderful condition. Probably in the best condition of all the courses I’ve played recently. Greens were quick and rolled true. Fairways were beautiful.

Commented on 05/20/2020

Excellent! Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run.

Best Conditions

Have been coming to HHI for years. Im a low handicapper competitive golfer and have played all over. This place is hands down in the best shape for public access courses around. Really well done from the tee boxes, fairways, bunkers, and greens. Well done! The model of what courses should look like in spring.

Commented on 05/19/2020

A Jack Nicklaus Company designed course on HHI, SC

I have been coming to Hilton Head Island, SC for a lot of years now and always looking for prices in the range of $50-$70 for a round a golf on the island. The Golden Bear Golf course at Indigo Run is exactly in my price range. I am from the Great State of Ohio - Jack Nicklaus' home state - so I know I cannot go wrong going to one of his course. This year - 2020 - will be my 25th year of volunteer work at Jack's Memorial tournament in Columbus/Murfield Ohio. I always plan to golf at this course when coming to HHI from Ohio in respect for what Jack Nicklaus has done for the game of golf and for what Jack and his wife Barbara has done for all the charities they are involved with. I guarantee you will not be disappointed if you get the chance to visit HHI and play this course - and you might even get a chance to see an alligator or two when playing a round here.

Commented on 05/18/2020

Fantastic! Thank you so much for the great review. We are honored that you make it a point to play our course every time you are in the Hilton Head area. We are glad you had an incredible time and we look forward to seeing you again soon! Thanks for choosing Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run.

Another great day on Golden Bear

Daniel did great with our clubs course in great condition

Commented on 05/15/2020

Terrific! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

Course in great condition

Enjoyed playing the course today Bryan was very helpful with our clue and cart

Commented on 05/07/2020

Great! Thank you for visiting us at Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

The Bear

Absolutely beautiful course that wraps through a beautiful neighborhood. Overall conditions were pristine, tees shots are tight with room for error, fairways are plush, greens are quick but will hold. Well worth it!!!

Commented on 05/08/2020

Outstanding! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

The best on HH

We have been here since Jan 2nd and just discovered this course in April...now our favorite!

Commented on 04/30/2020

Wonderful! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your first time at Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run. We're honored we're your new favorite and we look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

Nice Course

5th course I played down here in the past few weeks - by far the best condition. Will be back. Amenities few, but not surprised based on current environment.

Commented on 04/21/2020

Wonderful! Thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run.

Gem

Absolutely amazing course conditions. Every single hole was in perfect condition, tee boxes were beautiful, fairways were lush. around there green were a little thin but still in great conditions. Made the play a little easier because it the thinnest didn't make a lot of tight lies. The green rolled true and moderately fast but in amazing condition. If you tip out this course you are in for for a treat but an extreme challenge. Extremely tight tee shots but all of them are fair. The course rewards well played shots and punishes poor shots.

If you use Apple Maps to get there if brings you in the wrong way. Call the pro shop ahead of time.

Commented on 04/10/2020

Excellent! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

What a Jewel

We’re members of a truly top tier Country Club. But when we travel to Florida or Hilton Head we look for value as we always play a world class course at home so why spend $100+/round. As it turns out most such courses you get what you pay for- decent courses for low fees. This was not the case with Golden a Bear! A Nicklaus gem. Not a bad hole on the course and some really great holes. Greens were new hybrid Bermuda and were excellent. I will play again and encourage you to try this track. I’m betting you’re going to love it!

Commented on 04/09/2020

Wonderful! Thank you for your kind words. We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run.

4.2042647059